PDA

View Full Version : WWW.dogbegone.com

Hog Farmer
09-04-2005, 08:00 AM
Click on video images. Watch prairie dogs explode.

RedDread
09-04-2005, 08:12 AM
Well shut my mouth and call me susan!

Paw, c'mere! One of the boys learned how to use that there interweb thing!

Braincase
09-04-2005, 08:55 AM
I prefer the copter view where they take out desert rats rather than prairie dogs.

PastorMikH
09-04-2005, 10:08 AM
:drool::drool::drool:

Thats one of the few things I really miss about Western Ks!

Somewhere around here I have a video clip of one I sent exploding upwards 6' in the air.

Skip Towne
09-04-2005, 10:12 AM
:drool::drool::drool:

Thats one of the few things I really miss about Western Ks!

Somewhere around here I have a video clip of one I sent exploding upwards 6' in the air.
How can you kill God's creatres like that? Are you some kind of atheist?

Iowanian
09-04-2005, 10:15 AM
blowfish will be calling your congressman, you murdering bastard!

Hog Farmer
09-04-2005, 10:27 AM
Prairie dog hunting is great fun. I just bought a Ruger .204 which shoots the fastest bullet available. My brother came in from Germany the other day, he used to be a sniper in the Marine Corps. He sighted my rifle in for me and we were blowing them up at 300 yards. Killed 32 dogs and a 20 pack in about 3 hours. Great Fun!!!!

Taco John
09-04-2005, 10:30 AM
PastorMikeH doesn't care about Prarie Dogs!

Taco John
09-04-2005, 10:36 AM
What kind of shells are they using there? I'm suprised at how it completely hollows a few of thos prarie dogs out. One thing is for sure, they aren't feeling a thing...

Hog Farmer
09-04-2005, 10:53 AM
Taco, I don't know what they are using but my .204 does the same thing to them. I shoot a 32 grain bullett. I also have a .220 swift I want to try on them but haven't done so yet. I shot a few with a 22 Hornet and it didn't have that kind of effect. So I assume it's something with a high speed bullett. Could be a 22-250 but dont know.

gblowfish
09-04-2005, 11:34 AM
blowfish will be calling your congressman, you murdering bastard!http://www.prairiedogs.org/

mikey23545
09-04-2005, 12:09 PM
I'm pretty sure I don't see the appeal in watching this...

PastorMikH
09-04-2005, 01:46 PM
Prairie dog hunting is great fun. I just bought a Ruger .204 which shoots the fastest bullet available. My brother came in from Germany the other day, he used to be a sniper in the Marine Corps. He sighted my rifle in for me and we were blowing them up at 300 yards. Killed 32 dogs and a 20 pack in about 3 hours. Great Fun!!!!

32 dogs? Is that all? Maybe the 20 pack was affecting your aim a bit then? :)

Between my dad and I, on the 6 square mile dog town that I used to hunt, we'd leave many, many more than that every day.

I have a pair of 22-250's that will stretch 4-500 yards when the day is calm and the dogs are patient enough to keep standing until you get the range figured out. Also had a TC Contender that I switched from 222 Rem carbine and 22 Hornet pistol for close work. There's not too many things more frustrating than having the barrel is so hot that you have to wait for it to cool off while dogs stand there barking at you. That's why you need more than one firearm!

PastorMikH
09-04-2005, 01:48 PM
PastorMikeH doesn't care about Prarie Dogs!

What gave you that idea? I'm a conservationist. Since moving down here I have started a campaign to re-introduce Prairie Dogs into the area. To this point however, I have failed to find a landowner that will allow me to start a colony.

Bwana
09-04-2005, 01:49 PM
I need to go get another rifle. I'm thinking something I can smoke these little bastages with, yet big enough for my son to drop a deer. I'm thinking about a 22-250 myself.

PastorMikH
09-04-2005, 01:50 PM
What kind of shells are they using there? I'm suprised at how it completely hollows a few of thos prarie dogs out. One thing is for sure, they aren't feeling a thing...

In my 22-250 I shoot a 55 gr bullet that moves a bit faster than 3,600 feet per second. The bullet typically moves fast enough that it explodes on impact. In fact, if I get two dogs lined up, there is a good chance that the bullet will explode with the first to the point that the second dog goes untouched.

PastorMikH
09-04-2005, 01:53 PM
I need to go get another rifle. I'm thinking something I can smoke these little bastages with, yet big enough for my son to drop a deer. I'm thinking about a 22-250 myself.

Greg, I would suggest looking into a 257 Roberts Ackley Improved. I finished my build last year in time for deer season. Ballistics are almost identical to my 22-250 right now and I could drop to a lighter bullet for varmits and it would shoot even flatter. Only problem is that after a hundred rounds, the shoulder would start to get a bit tired. The .257 would allow you a bullet wait up to around 115-120 grains which does a decent job on deer.

Bwana
09-04-2005, 01:57 PM
Greg, I would suggest looking into a 257 Roberts Ackley Improved. I finished my build last year in time for deer season. Ballistics are almost identical to my 22-250 right now and I could drop to a lighter bullet for varmits and it would shoot even flatter. Only problem is that after a hundred rounds, the shoulder would start to get a bit tired. The .257 would allow you a bullet wait up to around 115-120 grains which does a decent job on deer.

Mike, that's a good idea, that gun didn't even come to mind until you posted this. I just picked up an new AK-47 from a buddy of mine that had bought 10 several years ago, but I don't think Jr needs so be sporting something like that around the woods. :) The clips I have for that thing would make it illegal for hunting as well. I am going to have to look into that 257 ASAP. Thanks for the advise!

PastorMikH
09-04-2005, 02:32 PM
Mike, that's a good idea, that gun didn't even come to mind until you posted this. I just picked up an new AK-47 from a buddy of mine that had bought 10 several years ago, but I don't think Jr needs so be sporting something like that around the woods. :) The clips I have for that thing would make it illegal for hunting as well. I am going to have to look into that 257 ASAP. Thanks for the advise!

I built mine from a Mauser '98 action. Pretty easy job if you have someone that can ream the barrel chamber for you. From what I've read of your posts, you could probably do it yourself, but buying the chamber reamer and guages can get a bit expensive. You can find a good variety of Mauser building parts from www.midwayusa.com (http://www.midwayusa.com).

Also, the accuracy from a bolt action mauser would be far superior to anything like the AK-47 and the bolt action would help him to make the first shot count.

One more thing, there is very little recoil so he would be much less likely to develop a flinch.

Darkwolfe
09-04-2005, 03:44 PM
Messy..

Coyotes have to be loving the nightly buffet.

Ultra Peanut
09-04-2005, 03:45 PM
PastorMikeH doesn't care about Prarie Dogs!PastorMikeH doesn't care about CHICKEN FRIIIIIIIIEEES!

PastorMikeH doesn't care about "CAPTAIN, JEAN luc PI-card, of the USS, ENTERPIRSE."