PDA

View Full Version : Suicide pool

Nzoner
09-04-2005, 11:10 AM
First time I've ever been in one of these for major cash and the stakes are high as the LMS gets to pocket $10,000.

Have to pick one winner a week to keep advancing,a loss and/or a tie and it's over.

I'm leaning toward the Skins hosting da Bears at home.

Here's week 1 schedule.

THURSDAY, SEP. 8th
Oakland at New England, 9:00 p.m.

SUNDAY, SEP. 11th
Chicago at Washington, 1:00 p.m.
Cincinnati at Cleveland, 1:00 p.m.
Denver at Miami, 1:00 p.m.
Houston at Buffalo, 1:00 p.m.
New Orleans at Carolina, 1:00 p.m.
N.Y. Jets at Kansas City, 1:00 p.m.
Seattle at Jacksonville, 1:00 p.m.
Tampa Bay at Minnesota, 1:00 p.m.
Tennessee at Pittsburgh, 1:00 p.m.
Arizona at N.Y. Giants, 4:15 p.m.
Dallas at San Diego, 4:15 p.m.
Green Bay at Detroit, 4:15 p.m.
St. Louis at San Francisco, 4:15 p.m.
Indianapolis at Baltimore, 8:30

MONDAY, SEP. 12th
Philadelphia at Atlanta, 9:00 p.m.

RedDread
09-04-2005, 11:12 AM
can you pick the same team multiple times, or do you have to switch it up?

Nzoner
09-04-2005, 11:14 AM
can you pick the same team multiple times, or do you have to switch it up?

Can only use a team once.

Valiant
09-04-2005, 11:15 AM
Can you have multiple user names to increase your chances without getting caught... :p

Saul Good
09-04-2005, 11:17 AM
The Skins or Rams would be your best bet...I'd go with the Skins, especially because they aren't a team you'd want to pick in the future.

Nzoner
09-04-2005, 11:18 AM
Can you have multiple user names to increase your chances without getting caught... :p

Actually it's $15 per play or 2 for $25,I opted for the 2 spots.

Saul Good
09-04-2005, 11:20 AM
My experience in these pools is that they end amazingly quickly. People tend to put too much strategy in hoping to have good matchups in later weeks only to get bounced out in the first 3-4 games. All things being equal, take the most sure wins early just to make sure you survive. After 5-6 weeks, 90%+ will be eliminated. Plus you'll have better info about the teams to make tough decisions down the road. Teams can change so much in a single offseason that they can surprise you in the first few weeks.

RedDread
09-04-2005, 11:23 AM
hate to derail your thread, but since you posted such a nice little list...

Of the day games:

SUNDAY, SEP. 11th
Chicago at Washington, 1:00 p.m.
Cincinnati at Cleveland, 1:00 p.m.
Denver at Miami, 1:00 p.m.
Houston at Buffalo, 1:00 p.m.
New Orleans at Carolina, 1:00 p.m.
N.Y. Jets at Kansas City, 1:00 p.m.
Seattle at Jacksonville, 1:00 p.m.
Tennessee at Pittsburgh, 1:00 p.m.
Arizona at N.Y. Giants, 4:15 p.m.
Dallas at San Diego, 4:15 p.m.
Green Bay at Detroit, 4:15 p.m.
St. Louis at San Francisco, 4:15 p.m.

ESPN is saying we're the one to watch.

Also the segment with hank Goldberg in Vegas said that we and the Cowboys were the biggest increase in terms of betting odds for the Superbowl.

RedDread
09-04-2005, 11:25 AM
I would stay away from any game involving the Saints early on. After what's happened to N.O. they could come out flat or they could just beat the hell out of everyone.

RedDread
09-04-2005, 11:28 AM
and here's my pick for week 1

The Vikings are notoriously fast starters, and I think the TB defense is in decline. The Vikings O should have no trouble moving the ball, which usually spells doom for TB, since their offense isn't able to keep up with anyone.

Nzoner
09-04-2005, 11:30 AM
My experience in these pools is that they end amazingly quickly. People tend to put too much strategy in hoping to have good matchups in later weeks only to get bounced out in the first 3-4 games. All things being equal, take the most sure wins early just to make sure you survive. After 5-6 weeks, 90%+ will be eliminated. Plus you'll have better info about the teams to make tough decisions down the road. Teams can change so much in a single offseason that they can surprise you in the first few weeks.

Yep,and for $25 I figure why not,if by some chance I end up pocketing 10 g's there's gonna be a helluva planet party.

Saul Good
09-04-2005, 11:45 AM
and here's my pick for week 1

The Vikings are notoriously fast starters, and I think the TB defense is in decline. The Vikings O should have no trouble moving the ball, which usually spells doom for TB, since their offense isn't able to keep up with anyone.

I don't know about that...
1999 they started 2-4
2000 they started 7-0
2001 they started 1-3
2002 they started 0-4
2003 they had a great start 6-0
2004 they were 5-1

They're up and down just like everyone else. I wouldn't let it affect my fantasy pool. The Vikings should be a pretty team this year. You'll want to use them in a later week if you can steal an early game with the Skins or Rams.

Saul Good
09-04-2005, 11:45 AM
Denver might not be a bad pick, either.

Mr. Laz
09-04-2005, 12:05 PM
pittsburgh over tennessee is a fairly safe start imo

(until you see how teams like arizona,new orleans and detroit are going to play)

Wile_E_Coyote
09-04-2005, 12:08 PM
Denver might not be a bad pick, either.

I don't think Denver has any better luck than KC in Florida(Tampa last year :(

Saul Good
09-04-2005, 12:57 PM
pittsburgh over tennessee is a fairly safe start imo

(until you see how teams like arizona,new orleans and detroit are going to play)

It depends on the strategy. If you just want to survive and advance, that would be a pretty safe pick. Pittsburgh's a team that you might want to use later on, though.

Saul Good
09-04-2005, 12:57 PM
I don't think Denver has any better luck than KC in Florida(Tampa last year :(

I hope they lose, but I just don't see it happening.

KChiefs1
09-04-2005, 01:09 PM
THURSDAY, SEP. 8th
Oakland at New England, 9:00 p.m.

Patriots will be an easy winner.

Saul Good
09-04-2005, 01:45 PM
Patriots will be an easy winner.

I wouldn't touch that one. There have been too many changes for both teams in the offseason.

Duck Dog
09-04-2005, 01:53 PM
Good choice but I'd go with St. Louis at San Francisco. Should be an easy win for the Rams.

Nzoner
09-04-2005, 02:31 PM
Good choice but I'd go with St. Louis at San Francisco. Should be an easy win for the Rams.

Yeah that game looks like a lock,however,with it being a division game on grass I'd rather wait and take the Rams at home vs. the 49er's.

Nzoner
09-11-2005, 09:49 PM
Took Washington and the Patriots,the site won't have official results up until Wednesday but with all the upsets today I'm thinking I have to be looking fairly decent with both spots advancing.

cdcox
09-11-2005, 10:03 PM
I'd like to put $20 each on

neckdemon
xxedge72x
Buzzsaw

and $5 on the field over at the mange.

Nzoner
09-17-2005, 08:44 AM
Over 3000 eliminations last week,2400 left for the $10,000 pot.

mlyonsd
09-17-2005, 08:56 AM
Over 3000 eliminations last week,2400 left for the $10,000 pot.

Wow. That's quite a massacre.

In the free planet survival league I was eliminated as well. I thought anyone could beat the 49'ers. Fricking Rams. They suck.

Nzoner
09-17-2005, 09:06 AM
Wow. That's quite a massacre.

In the free planet survival league I was eliminated as well. I thought anyone could beat the 49'ers. Fricking Rams. They suck.

You should've checked my pre-game analysis in post #21 as why not to take that game. :D

mlyonsd
09-17-2005, 09:15 AM
You should've checked my pre-game analysis in post #21 as why not to take that game. :D

I forgot there was a Thursday game and almost missed making a pick all together.

I'm not sure your indepth analysis would have overcome my sheer stupidity and lack of planning.

Ultra Peanut
09-17-2005, 09:32 AM
I'm currently in second place in a dead pool on another forum.

/me so proud; my first dead pool

Nzoner
09-19-2005, 11:58 PM
Had to stay up to check final results,down to 1322 left and two of the spots are mine.

I can see now this is going to become a bit nerve racking.

I've used the Pats and Phiily in 1 slot and the Redskins and Phiily in the other.

Mr. Flopnuts
09-20-2005, 12:10 AM
I'd take the Colts in week 3, they're playing at home and should rebound nicely. Otherwise a pretty tough lookin week. Good luck with it.

Nzoner
09-20-2005, 11:39 AM
I'd take the Colts in week 3, they're playing at home and should rebound nicely. Otherwise a pretty tough lookin week. Good luck with it.

Thanks,I'm thinking that game as well,of course if there's any coach that knows how to shut down Manning it's Romeo,however,his personnel for getting the job done has changed somewhat.

Nzoner
09-28-2005, 09:39 PM
Still alive with 2 slots left and down to 1302 in the game.

I've used NE/Philly/Indy..........Redskins/Philly/Indy

Here's the games in order that I like this weekend,your thoughts are appreciated.

1.Jets @ Ravens....the Bollinger led Jets going into Baltimore coming off a bye and sitting at 0-2,could get ugly fast.

2.Texans @ Bengals...Cincy looks to be the popular pick right now and so far Houston has sucked,but still coming off a bye and although 3-0 at the moment it's still the Bengals.

3.Lions @ Bucs......again a team coming off a bye after a serious ass kickin to the Bears.No I don't think Gruden will let up but I still like #1 better.

4.Packers @ Panthers.....Monday night 0-3 Pack visiting Carolina,I can't see the Pack even coming close but as always it is Brett Favre and at 0-3 they could be like a caged animal.

mitchbade
09-28-2005, 10:00 PM
i was just cruising this thread and this LMS game sound pretty, although i have no insight, becuase i dont like losing other peoples money. i was just wondering where these games are hosted?

Nzoner
09-28-2005, 10:15 PM
i was just cruising this thread and this LMS game sound pretty, although i have no insight, becuase i dont like losing other peoples money. i was just wondering where these games are hosted?

CDM Sports,they've got one game left you can still enter the link is below.

Last man Standing 2 (http://lastmanstanding2.cdmsports.com/index.php?) It's a little cheaper,but the grand prize is $5000

mitchbade
09-28-2005, 10:23 PM
how many people were in your pool?

Nzoner
09-28-2005, 10:31 PM
how many people were in your pool?

Started with 5050

mitchbade
09-28-2005, 10:39 PM
damn how many weeks does the 1st one usually last?

stumppy
09-29-2005, 12:39 AM
Still alive with 2 slots left and down to 1302 in the game.

I've used NE/Philly/Indy..........Redskins/Philly/Indy

Here's the games in order that I like this weekend,your thoughts are appreciated.

1.Jets @ Ravens....the Bollinger led Jets going into Baltimore coming off a bye and sitting at 0-2,could get ugly fast.

2.Texans @ Bengals...Cincy looks to be the popular pick right now and so far Houston has sucked,but still coming off a bye and although 3-0 at the moment it's still the Bengals.

3.Lions @ Bucs......again a team coming off a bye after a serious ass kickin to the Bears.No I don't think Gruden will let up but I still like #1 better.

4.Packers @ Panthers.....Monday night 0-3 Pack visiting Carolina,I can't see the Pack even coming close but as always it is Brett Favre and at 0-3 they could be like a caged animal.

Here's my 2 cents.

1. Both teams have QB problems. It's possible they both loose that game.:D

2. The Bengals have been consistent,good QB play, WR and RB too. Their Def. has done it's job. And it's a home game.
The Texans have a mediocore Def. Their O-line is out to lunch and their QB gets beat up more than gochiefs posting on a dateing tips thread.:)

3. I haven't paid much attention to the Bucs or Lions. I do know the Bucs Def. has improved and they drafted a stud running back.Cadillac.
They lions ????????:shrug:

4. Like you said, you never know about Favre.:shrug:

Never in a million years did I ever think I would say......er.. type.

Bet it all on the Bengals.

Nzoner
09-30-2005, 10:37 AM
Here's my 2 cents.

1. Both teams have QB problems. It's possible they both loose that game.:D

2. The Bengals have been consistent,good QB play, WR and RB too. Their Def. has done it's job. And it's a home game.
The Texans have a mediocore Def. Their O-line is out to lunch and their QB gets beat up more than gochiefs posting on a dateing tips thread.:)

3. I haven't paid much attention to the Bucs or Lions. I do know the Bucs Def. has improved and they drafted a stud running back.Cadillac.
They lions ????????:shrug:

4. Like you said, you never know about Favre.:shrug:

Never in a million years did I ever think I would say......er.. type.

Bet it all on the Bengals.

Thanks for the feedback and i agree with you about the Jets and Ravens qb situation but I was thinking more along the lines of Ray Lewis and Co teeing off on Bollinger.