PDA

View Full Version : Saints may move to San Antonio permanently

KCChiefsFan88
09-04-2005, 01:15 PM
Talk about kicking a city while their down, jeez.

From The New Orleans Times-Picayune:

Saints may move to San Antonio

Senator urges Benson to delay his decision

By Robert Travis Scott
Capital bureau

New Orleans Saints owner Tom Benson is leaning strongly toward moving the Saints permanently to San Antonio following the devastation to the city and the Superdome by Hurricane Katrina, a state senator who has spoken with a top team official said Saturday.

Sen. Mike Michot, R-Lafayette, said he spoke with Saints' chief of administration Arnold Fielkow by phone Friday morning about Benson's potential plans.

Team officials could not be reached Saturday. The team had previously announced it was looking for a new home for the current season, and San Antonio was one of the options.

Michot said he was told that Benson has not made a final decision, but the owner is serious about moving once and for all to San Antonio. "We may lose them permanently," Michot said.

A possible move by the team is a "huge concern" among a few state officials who have become aware of it, but every significant political figure in the state is preoccupied with reacting to the storm aftermath.

State officials want to convince Benson to delay a decision so that the state can focus on the rescue and rehabilitation effort and later find a way to keep the Saints at home in New Orleans.

"This is like pouring salt into the wound," Michot said.

Michot said decency dictates that Benson should postpone any decision on a permanent move until state officials have had a chance to talk with him.
"Give us time," Michot said.
Another state official confirmed a similar conversation with Fielkow.

Michot is the vice chairman of the Senate Commerce Committee, a key committee for legislation related to state agreement with the Saints.
He said that in the long run the Saints might be better off staying in New Orleans because a revived city with national support could provide a better stadium.

Bwana
09-04-2005, 01:17 PM
Ouch, I thought they may pack it up and head to LA, but not San Antonio.

Boardin Bronco
09-04-2005, 01:27 PM
The Saints should be the last thing on the minds of New Orleans and Louisiana politicians.

Coach
09-04-2005, 01:34 PM
The Saints should be the last thing on the minds of New Orleans and Louisiana politicians.

No shit. Too bad Benson doesn't think of that way, unfortunately. He's still wanting to move the Saints out of NO, regardless of what is happening.

Katipan
09-04-2005, 01:47 PM
Even if they clean the city up in time for next year's season, who the hell is going to have the money to fork over for games and merchandise?

Empty seats and no fan support next year is little better than trying to find a place to start over now.

ChiefsCountry
09-04-2005, 01:57 PM
Ouch, I thought they may pack it up and head to LA, but not San Antonio.

I think the NFL wants the right owner for LA, they don't want Benson to own the LA team.

Boardin Bronco
09-04-2005, 02:15 PM
Even if they clean the city up in time for next year's season, who the hell is going to have the money to fork over for games and merchandise?

Empty seats and no fan support next year is little better than trying to find a place to start over now.

Tom Benson gets plenty of revenue from the television contact. The other NFL owners need to step up and help the Saints through this tough time by providing them with extra revenue to compete. The NFL is such a cash cow they can make it happen if they really want to. No city should ever lose a professional sports team due to a natural disaster.

New Orleans has been good to the NFL for almost 40 years. They have hosted 9 Super Bowls. This is the wrong time for the NFL to turn their back on a city that's made a lot of money for them.

Unfortunately, GREED runs this country and Benson is going to pull off a move more cold-blooded than Irsay's/Modell's.

Bwana
09-04-2005, 02:20 PM
Tom Benson gets plenty of revenue from the television contact. The other NFL owners need to step up and help the Saints through this tough time by providing them with extra revenue to compete. The NFL is such a cash cow they can make it happen if they really want to. No city should ever lose a professional sports team due to a natural disaster.

New Orleans has been good to the NFL for almost 40 years. They have hosted 9 Super Bowls. This is the wrong time for the NFL to turn their back on a city that's made a lot of money for them.

Unfortunately, GREED runs this country and Benson is going to pull off a move more cold-blooded than Irsay's/Modell's.

I agree, but owning an NFL team is a business and Benson is going to make the move that puts the most Bling Bling in his pocket, mark my words.

Duck Dog
09-04-2005, 02:23 PM

The people making bundles to re-build the city.

KCChiefsFan88
09-04-2005, 02:23 PM
I think they should play their home games in Baton Rouge (when the city is able to accomodate them, whenever that may be this season) and that city should get consideration as a permanent home, if they decide keeping the Saints in New Orleans is no longer feasible.

Re-name them the Louisiana Saints maybe.

Valiant
09-04-2005, 02:36 PM
Until Arrowhead gets another Superbowl I could give a **** if N.O. hosts them all the time....

Yes it is a cop-out to move his team this way, but how long will it take for the people of N.O. to get back to the financial level to attend football games??? I am guessing 3-4years, there is no way a owner would deal with that even if the NFL bailed him out every year...

On another note, that stadium is toast.. Do you really think the citizens of N.O. will vote/pay for a new stadium because you know no owner is going to build one anymore...

chiefqueen
09-04-2005, 02:37 PM
The FOX 4 weather guy said on TV last night he heard a rumor Saints' season tix holders were not getting refunds on their 2005 tickets.

Thig Lyfe
09-04-2005, 02:43 PM
While I don't see that much of a problem with trying to move the team,

The FOX 4 weather guy said on TV last night he heard a rumor Saints' season tix holders were not getting refunds on their 2005 tickets.

^ THAT is just horrible.

Valiant
09-04-2005, 02:44 PM

Hmmm class action lawsuit here we come.. That would be some straight up bullshit if he does move the team and does not give refunds.... He might become more hated then the hurricane..

Herzig
09-04-2005, 02:46 PM
San Antonio may be a good spot for them. I had no idea how big San Antonio was until I visited there this summer. It's the 8th largest city in the US...

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0763098.html

Hydrae
09-04-2005, 02:49 PM
Until Arrowhead gets another Superbowl I could give a **** if N.O. hosts them all the time....

Yes it is a cop-out to move his team this way, but how long will it take for the people of N.O. to get back to the financial level to attend football games??? I am guessing 3-4years, there is no way a owner would deal with that even if the NFL bailed him out every year...

On another note, that stadium is toast.. Do you really think the citizens of N.O. will vote/pay for a new stadium because you know no owner is going to build one anymore...

N.O. has way more to worry about than trying to build a new stadium for a sports franchise. Heck at this point there is still discussion as to whether to rebuild the city.

Taco John
09-04-2005, 03:00 PM
Sadly, Benson is just making the best business choice available to him. I can't blame him. The Saints will get an expansion team someday... Maybe.

And when they do, I can't wait to watch them play there with Trent Lott.

Darkwolfe
09-04-2005, 03:09 PM
In truth San Antonio is long over due for an NFL franchise. The city is the second largest in Texas (behind Houston naturally) and should have had a team ages ago. An NFL team there would do very well as the drive to either Dallas or Houston is four hours minimum.

Benson did announce the possibility of moving the Saints well before the hurricane struck. It may well just be time for them to move.

In truth, I personally do not expect to see New Orleans rebuilt. I think the storm has killed the city. I hope that I am wrong.

Frazod
09-04-2005, 03:20 PM
San Antonio may be a good spot for them. I had no idea how big San Antonio was until I visited there this summer. It's the 8th largest city in the US...

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0763098.html

Wow. I would have never guessed that one.

Skip Towne
09-04-2005, 03:25 PM
Wow. I would have never guessed that one.
Me either. My Atlas, while several years old, lists SA at 935,000.

Frazod
09-04-2005, 03:27 PM

Hell, I wouldn't have thought it had that many people now.

Of course, I've never been to Texas and don't have much reason to research its population centers.

Ultra Peanut
09-04-2005, 03:29 PM
This is exactly the kind of shitty thing I wouldn't be surprised to see happen.

If it does, Benson deserves to burn in hell.

Darkwolfe
09-04-2005, 03:32 PM

Heh, it's probably not far off though. Houston is 2 million (roughly), but the overall area is closer to 5.2 million or better when you count all the burbs.

San Antonio's total metro area population is 1.8 million. More than enough to feed an NFL team. (And the traffic isn't near as bad as Houston's!)

(Numbers pulled from Wikipedia)

Duck Dog
09-04-2005, 03:51 PM
The NFL and the team owners should block this if at all possible. I understand the man has a business to run, but taking advantage of the problems surrounding the city that put bread on your table is just wrong.

Herzig
09-04-2005, 03:52 PM
Hell, I wouldn't have thought it had that many people now.

Of course, I've never been to Texas and don't have much reason to research its population centers.

The population is about 80% Latino or it seemed like it anyway. It's just a couple of hours from the Mexican border so that may have something to do with the population explosion there. Of course, Bush also gave about 1 million illegal aliens citizenship recently and that may have something to do with it too.

mcan
09-04-2005, 04:19 PM
Get that team the hell out of there. The city is now a lake and rebuilding the whole city is CRAZY. It's just going to flood again... Hurricaines are happening a whole lot more frequently, and that area is only protected by levees. We'll spend BILLIONS of dollars to rebuild it and get it all looking great, and then BAM it'll be gone again.

I equate it to building a home on a stove and complaining when somebody turns on the burner.

As for the football team. His customers have LEFT THE DAMNED CITY! If you owned a business in a ghost town, you'ld want out too!

mikey23545
09-04-2005, 04:22 PM
The population is about 80% Latino or it seemed like it anyway. It's just a couple of hours from the Mexican border so that may have something to do with the population explosion there. Of course, Bush also gave about 1 million illegal aliens citizenship recently and that may have something to do with it too.

Dammit, Bush!....:cuss: :cuss:

ROFL

Tighten the tinfoil, dude....

Skip Towne
09-04-2005, 04:28 PM
I wonder what %age of Latinos are NFL fans? Not very high, I would guess. That doesn't sound like an ideal location for the team.

KChiefs1
09-04-2005, 04:30 PM
Realistically, NOLA isn't going to be the same ever....it will take years before their is an infrastructure in place to support any sports teams.

If I owned the Saints I think I'd be looking to move them now too...I'd want that LA market though. San Antonio is a very nice large city though.

Herzig
09-04-2005, 04:54 PM
Realistically, NOLA isn't going to be the same ever....it will take years before their is an infrastructure in place to support any sports teams.

If I owned the Saints I think I'd be looking to move them now too...I'd want that LA market though. San Antonio is a very nice large city though.

I got an idea. Rebuild New Orleans in a different place...but this time actually build it a few miles inland ABOVE SEA LEVEL. Problem solved. We could rename it New New Orleans.

gblowfish
09-04-2005, 05:04 PM
The FOX 4 weather guy said on TV last night he heard a rumor Saints' season tix holders were not getting refunds on their 2005 tickets.All I can say is, Saints fans are the greatest fans in the NFL. Oh, and caveat emptor.
Sincerely,
Carl D. Peterson
LTGMIPS
(Longest Tenured General Manager in Professional Sports)