PDA

View Full Version : So we take some things for the hurricane survivors

Nzoner
09-04-2005, 03:03 PM
So I spent part of the morning going through closets and boxing up clothes for the hurricane survivors(Our church is sending a semi down to a shelter).Mind you this was not junk,having lost alot of weight over the last year I was still holding on to my old wardrobe just in case.

Anyhow,I get my stuff boxed up and marked,the wife does the same and then we head to the store to buy water and some non-perishable food items and then on to the church.We arrive to find out that the driver of the truck has been instructed to NOT take any clothes as apparently everything they're getting in the South is "trash".

I don't know seems to me as much devistation as there is that anything right now would be helpful.If some of the clothes are indeed trash then use them as rags or something but to turn down everything seems a little odd to me.

chiefs4me
09-04-2005, 03:10 PM
Not when the semi's could be filled up with what the people really need. But I am sure your stuff was nice, as many others were...but you can see thier point, right?

Dartgod
09-04-2005, 03:14 PM
Not when the semi's could be filled up with what the people really need. But I am sure your stuff was nice, as many others were...but you can see thier point, right?
I would think that people who have lost "everything" could use some clothes too. :shrug:

Nzoner
09-04-2005, 03:16 PM

No,I guess I can't.These trucks are huge,and will hold plenty of both,besides,having had a fire before and losing everything I was very thankful that some folks thought enough to put in some clothes so I could change into something fresh.

sd4chiefs
09-04-2005, 03:18 PM
Did you have an Elvis Grbac Jersy in the box?

Skip Towne
09-04-2005, 03:21 PM
They would probably reject the clothes I wear every day.

chiefs4me
09-04-2005, 03:25 PM
No,I guess I can't.These trucks are huge,and will hold plenty of both,besides,having had a fire before and losing everything I was very thankful that some folks thought enough to put in some clothes so I could change into something fresh.

I know they are huge....but so many kind people have been donating clothes that they really don't need anymore, they need food, band aids, medicine, water, diapers, milk for babies...and water pumps..yes believe it or not, but people whos homes only have a foot of water, due to being higher up in the state are pumping water from their homes as shelter until enough help arrives...forget I said anthing....:harumph:

Nzoner
09-04-2005, 03:26 PM
Did you have an Elvis Grbac Jersy in the box?

Yep,in the box marked RAGS.

BigOlChiefsfan
09-04-2005, 03:28 PM
No good deed goes unpunished, Nzoner. Take 'em to the local Goodwill instead, there are NOLA refugees making their way up here now, and they can certainly use them.

chiefs4me
09-04-2005, 03:28 PM
Yep,in the box marked RAGS.

Send those rags to me....I will donate them here...:p

Big Chief Homer
09-04-2005, 04:07 PM
My wife and I took a bunch of stuff to the red cross this afternoon.We have 2 girls and a 14 year old boy.We went through all their clothes and our closets.Just like mentioned above no junk.We also grabbed a bunch of towels and stuff like that.

When we got to the red cross,the girl said no thanks,but we are still excepting cash.And that if we wanted to donate they wanted cash.

We went over to the salvation army and they had a truck going to texas stadium to hand stuff out.They were more than willing to take anything we had.

Were going back tomorrow with a load of toys.I know its the last thing they need but,the guy said some of the kids in the selters have nothing.And it would be something to brighten their day even just alittle.

Try them.

Duck Dog
09-04-2005, 04:11 PM
It's a good idea, Nzoner, but don't they have access to 24hr Walmarts right now?

memyselfI
09-04-2005, 04:18 PM
I had a decent sized donation of supplies for dogs and cats to donate but was told that the animatarian (?) agencies did not want supplies because of the logistics and money needed to ship. They want cash.

They suggested I give to local agencies who will be in need because of the focus on a national tragedy. After something like this happens local donations and agencies take a huge hit because people's interest and money is elsewhere.

If one of the national organizations won't take it, try donating to Safe Home or some place locally. You will still be helping out hurricane relief because you've helped someone who lost funding because it went to hurricane relief.

Nzoner
09-04-2005, 05:06 PM
My wife and I took a bunch of stuff to the red cross this afternoon.We have 2 girls and a 14 year old boy.We went through all their clothes and our closets.Just like mentioned above no junk.We also grabbed a bunch of towels and stuff like that.

When we got to the red cross,the girl said no thanks,but we are still excepting cash.And that if we wanted to donate they wanted cash.

We went over to the salvation army and they had a truck going to texas stadium to hand stuff out.They were more than willing to take anything we had.

Were going back tomorrow with a load of toys.I know its the last thing they need but,the guy said some of the kids in the selters have nothing.And it would be something to brighten their day even just alittle.

Try them.

Thanks,I'll do that.