PDA

View Full Version : Skip I need your opinion please

Nzoner
09-04-2005, 05:20 PM
I'm thinking the DTV receiver to my big screen is going bad and was hoping you could give me your opinion.

The system is run by a main receiver,DTV,C-band,DVD etc and the tv is working fine,however,when I go to DBS for the DTV receiver it stays for a bit then I get the grey screen with the words unusable signal.

I'm still getting the sound for the program that's on though.

Any ideas?

BTW,the receiver is 6 years old.

Skip Towne
09-04-2005, 05:25 PM
It's either the receiver or the LNB. Is that the only receiver you have?

Nzoner
09-04-2005, 05:29 PM
It's either the receiver or the LNB. Is that the only receiver you have?

No,I've got 8 total,6 of which are off until the season starts.The one in the bedroom is working fine.

badgirl
09-04-2005, 05:31 PM
I have a question also skip, How can I steal cable and NOT get caught? Just wondering......... :p

Skip Towne
09-04-2005, 05:33 PM
No,I've got 8 total,6 of which are off until the season starts.The one in the bedroom is working fine.
It's probably that receiver then. Put another receiver there and see if it works. If it does, you have a bad receiver.

Nzoner
09-04-2005, 05:36 PM
It's probably that receiver then. Put another receiver there and see if it works. If it does, you have a bad receiver.

That is easier said than done and one of the main reasons I have the DTV insurance plan,although for my own peace of mind I'm going to attempt to get behind the cabinet.

Thanks for the help.

Skip Towne
09-04-2005, 05:40 PM
That is easier said than done and one of the main reasons I have the DTV insurance plan,although for my own peace of mind I'm going to attempt to get behind the cabinet.

Thanks for the help.
I'm almost sure that's what is wrong so you'll have to get it out of there anyway.

Skip Towne
09-04-2005, 05:50 PM
I have a question also skip, How can I steal cable and NOT get caught? Just wondering......... :p
Just go ahead and hook up to cable. They don't care.

badgirl
09-04-2005, 05:53 PM
Just go ahead and hook up to cable. They don't care.
Do you know any good cable guys who would like to make a few extra dollars, uh, mowing my yard? I can't climb the pole, although I do know what to do when I get to the top. :p

Skip Towne
09-04-2005, 05:57 PM
Do you know any good cable guys who would like to make a few extra dollars, uh, mowing my yard? I can't climb the pole, although I do know what to do when I get to the top. :p
No, I don't associate with cable guys. It takes a specia tool if it is shut off at the top of the pole. Go outsideand see if your wire is disconnected. Sometimes they forget to turn it off.

badgirl
09-04-2005, 06:24 PM
No, I don't associate with cable guys. It takes a specia tool if it is shut off at the top of the pole. Go outsideand see if your wire is disconnected. Sometimes they forget to turn it off.
I have one of those special tools. I just can't get to the top. don't have a ladder that long, eh, hell guess I'll just have to pay those frigging outragious prices 45.00 per month.

DenverChief
09-04-2005, 06:44 PM
Sounds more like an LNB problem to me :shrug:

Skip Towne
09-04-2005, 06:50 PM
Sounds more like an LNB problem to me :shrug:
Then why is the bedroom TV working? They both work off the same LNB.

Skip Towne
09-04-2005, 06:51 PM
I have one of those special tools. I just can't get to the top. don't have a ladder that long, eh, hell guess I'll just have to pay those frigging outragious prices 45.00 per month.
Go rent a 28' ladder.

Nzoner
09-04-2005, 09:36 PM
Go figure i turned it back on at 6:37 and not a problem since.

My luck it'll wait until my party during the Chiefs vs Rayduh game

Skip Towne
09-04-2005, 09:42 PM
Go figure i turned it back on at 6:37 and not a problem since.

My luck it'll wait until my party during the Chiefs vs Rayduh game
It sound like it was static causing the problem. Unplugging the unit for 20 seconds usually solves that. But that receiver is OLD. I can tell by that message you were receiving. If any of your other units are newer I'd swap for that one and let it sit idle all off season.

Nzoner
09-04-2005, 09:46 PM
It sound like it was static causing the problem. Unplugging the unit for 20 seconds usually solves that. But that receiver is OLD. I can tell by that message you were receiving. If any of your other units are newer I'd swap for that one and let it sit idle all off season.

Nope,none newer,since i have the DTV insurance plan would they swap them all?

Skip Towne
09-04-2005, 09:50 PM
Nope,none newer,since i have the DTV insurance plan would they swap them all?
They won't swap them unless they shoot craps. They keep changing stuff and not telling me but the last I heard the protection plan costs $5 per receiver per month. If so, you're a lot better off to drop that. D* sells reconditioned receivers for $50. You're buying one every month while using that plan.

Nzoner
09-04-2005, 09:54 PM
They won't swap them unless they shoot craps. They keep changing stuff and not telling me but the last I heard the protection plan costs $5 per receiver per month. If so, you're a lot better off to drop that. D* sells reconditioned receivers for $50. You're buying one every month while using that plan.

yeah but they've also replaced 4 multi-switches in the last 3 years at no additional charge so the $50 a year has been well worth it.

keg in kc
09-04-2005, 09:56 PM
If this isn't a thread header begging for disaster, I don't know what is.

Skip Towne
09-04-2005, 10:00 PM
yeah but they've also replaced 4 multi-switches in the last 3 years at no additional charge so the $50 a year has been well worth it.
If you're happy, I am too. Multiswitches last forever. If you're using more than one per year something is wrong. Probably dime store multiswitches. Seriously, they are so reliable I check them last.

Nzoner
09-04-2005, 10:03 PM
If you're happy, I am too. Multiswitches last forever. If you're using more than one per year something is wrong. Probably dime store multiswitches. Seriously, they are so reliable I check them last.

Let's just say I'm not real confident in the local service DTV uses to check this stuff out.

Skip Towne
09-04-2005, 10:11 PM
Let's just say I'm not real confident in the local service DTV uses to check this stuff out.
Absolutely agree. Most of those guys D* sends out can't find their ass with both hands. More than likely they are covering up shoddy install work by saying multiswitch.

DenverChief
09-04-2005, 11:51 PM
Then why is the bedroom TV working? They both work off the same LNB.

I missed that part...maybe a cable problem then