PDA

View Full Version : Merrill: Schedule not kind to Chiefs

tk13
09-05-2005, 01:17 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/football/nfl/kansas_city_chiefs/12564308.htm

Schedule not kind to Chiefs

By ELIZABETH MERRILL

The Kansas City Star

With the aroma of an 0-4 preseason still lingering, and the New York Jets in town Sunday, Chiefs coach Dick Vermeil has something that may not sit well with breakfast.

The Chiefs are behind schedule. The offense is behind schedule.

And the schedule isn’t exactly cooperating. The Jets, the Denver Broncos, the Philadelphia Eagles. All three teams were in the playoffs last season — and all three play the Chiefs in the first month. Throw in a trip to scenic Oakland, and president/general manager Carl Peterson may be wondering what he did to irk the NFL’s schedule-makers.

“Nothing we can do about it,” Vermeil said.

“We’ve got a ways to go, believe me. Sometimes there are things you can’t control.”

Which brings Vermeil not to the schedule, but to Trent Green, his Pro Bowl quarterback. Green played just 56 snaps in the preseason, about 30 fewer than the coaches had hoped. Green didn’t even suit up Friday night at St. Louis, three days after he underwent surgery to repair a torn artery.

Without Green, the Chiefs’ passing game, for the first time in years, is in somewhat of a state of flux. They’ve spent the last two weeks practicing with quarterback Jonathan Quinn, who isn’t even on the team anymore. Quinn was cut Saturday.

Green is expected to be back in a limited role today, and he vows to play Sunday against the Jets. But there are many variables: Can he get into a rhythm after playing just two series in the last two games? Will Green, who’s been on blood thinners, rebound fast enough to play?

If he can’t go, it appears as if Todd Collins, Green’s longtime backup, isn’t an option. Vermeil said he’ll have 2 1/2 quarterbacks Sunday — Green, No. 3 quarterback Damon Huard and Collins, who will suit up but isn’t fully recovered from a fractured hand. Collins could hand off to the running backs in an emergency situation.

Huard is one of the healthier quarterbacks, but he’s coming back from a concussion. In his last preseason game against Arizona, Huard was one of 12 with two interceptions.

But if anyone’s fretting, Chiefs tight end Jason Dunn hasn’t heard it.

“If I’m not mistaken, we went 1-3 in one preseason and then we went 13-3 (in 1997),” Dunn said. “That’s why they call it the preseason. It’s a time to get ready and a time to get the younger guys some continuity.

“I think the guys are ready. We’ve been ready. Everybody’s been itching since last season.”

Ahh, last season. The Chiefs were worried about the early schedule then, and how they’d make it through Denver, Carolina and Houston. They lost all three games and were virtually out of the playoff picture by mid-November.

Vermeil said the personnel has been upgraded since then. The defense will have five new starters Sunday, including Pro Bowl linebacker Kendrell Bell, who stuffed Steven Jackson at the line of scrimmage on the first play of the game Friday night in St. Louis.

Bell was playing in his first preseason game because the Chiefs had held him out because they didn’t want to risk another injury.

The preseason doesn’t count. Sunday does.

“I’ll be honest with you,” receiver Marc Boerigter said. “I think we talked too much about our schedule being tough last year. Yeah, it looks tough right now on the surface, but if you start looking into it too much, you kind of look at it like it’s an uphill battle.

“You don’t know what teams are going to be like year to year. Some teams fall off. Look what we did last year after what we did in 2003.”

Rausch
09-05-2005, 01:28 AM
I don't want a hungry team, I want an angry team.

I know we'll have an angry defense. DJ and Bell and Gun already look ready to rip out hearts and eat them.

Hungry teams get better, but angry teams **** people up...

chief99
09-05-2005, 01:50 AM
Sorry . Not buying it.

Didn't O look good against Seattle ?

SoCalBronco
09-05-2005, 01:56 AM
The schedule isnt kind to any of the AFC West teams, the Chargers will get the worst of it.

Dunit35
09-05-2005, 01:57 AM
They will be just fine...I think the defense is gonna be really talented...how well can they gell? Pretty flipping fast when you have a Knight out there. Knight is a leader and when he lays the wood he is a total intimidator. Receivers will think twice about coming through the middle with him, DJ, Sapp, and Bell out there. DJ and Bell are quick enough to chase down screens and toss plays. Both of them can blitz like no other. Wesley is gonna benifit so much from Knight. He looked good this preseason. When I watched Wesley I thought he did a good job on open field tackling. That should defiantely stop long runs and long completions. They will create turnovers.... Depth is of course a huge concern. Lets forget about the first preseason game..Im gonna go by the first team/first half...KC gave up 0,10,10 points in the first half of each game...they gave up a measley 3.3 points a quarter..in a whole game thats only 13.3 points...Im pretty sure the Offense can put up 14 points a game...The DEFENSE needs to have this attitude...F**k em...I say kill em all...let the paramedics sort em out...

As for the offense..I do not see why they can't gell quickly either, The offense is the same offensive line for how many years now? Actually the whole offense is about the same..Depth is a concern up front...Holmes will pick off where he left off and so will Johnson and when you can run it, of course you can control the clock and keep the Defense off the field..We still have Tony. G. Kennison is gonna do great and so will Parker.. Boe looks like he is back to old form. Of course on offense its all about Green...He might slip a bit but he will get the job done..

With all this said..I do not see why KC cant be 11-5, 12-4 get a bye and take it to the house...I Guess Im just alittle excited to watch my first live Chiefs game and Im listening to some hard rock so Im pumped up too...

trndobrd
09-05-2005, 01:58 AM
Rather than put in Collins just to hand the ball off, why not hike the ball directly to Priest/LJ and put in an extra blocker? I wonder if the "flying wedge" is still in the back of the playbook.

beer bacon
09-05-2005, 02:11 AM
The schedule isnt kind to any of the AFC West teams, the Chargers will get the worst of it.

Yeap. The Chiefs have a tough schedule, but both the Chargers and Raiders have a much tougher road schedule.

tk13
09-05-2005, 03:29 AM
Yeap. The Chiefs have a tough schedule, but both the Chargers and Raiders have a much tougher road schedule.
Yeah, the Raiders first three weeks are brutal. If they lose to us in Week 2, they'd have to knock off either New England or Philly on the road to avoid going 0-3. Getting @NE/KC/@PHI first three weeks is tough. Glad it's them and not us, as much hype as they've gotten, it could be over before it begins if they can't beat us. The Chargers start is a bit easier I think, but as they get into October they have a brutal stretch of solid opponents and long road trips that'll test them. I still think Denver has a schedule which should allow them to jump ahead of the division early, but they have to pay for it down the home stretch with a ton of road games, and IIRC the couple home games they do have in the 2nd half are pretty solid teams like the Jets and Ravens. Then again, seems like almost anybody in the AFC is tough matchup anymore.

Of course, as we always say, who knows who is going to be "good" from year to year. It's usually a safe bet to say teams like NE and Philly aren't going to totally fall off the earth though, but I guess anything is possible.

tomahawk kid
09-05-2005, 06:26 AM
Vermiel's comment about the offense worries me a bit.

milkman
09-05-2005, 06:34 AM
Vermiel's comment about the offense worries me a bit.

I think Vermeil is just a little overly concerned because the starting offense, with every player projected as the starter, never hit the field together.

I do think that Shields and Sampson working on the right side together would have been beneficial in terms of chemistry and communication, and Green getting the reps with Parker and Boe as #2 and #3 would have helped with building chemistry and confidence there.

But the parts that have been working together for years will keep this offense moving while they adjust to the integration of the new pieces.

CosmicPal
09-05-2005, 08:39 AM
Green is expected to be back in a limited role today, and he vows to play Sunday against the Jets...

If he can’t go, it appears as if Todd Collins, Green’s longtime backup, isn’t an option. Vermeil said he’ll have 2 1/2 quarterbacks Sunday — Green, No. 3 quarterback Damon Huard and Collins, who will suit up but isn’t fully recovered from a fractured hand. Collins could hand off to the running backs in an emergency situation.

This has to be the most bone-headed move in the history of Vermeil's career. How in the world can you expect to field 3 QB's - of which all them are not 100% at this time. Gawd forbid, if Green were to go down-so goes our season.

If I were the opposing team's defensive coordinator- I'd be throwing blitz packages all day long- not that they should TRY to injure Green, but you know they will. You know the Jets D-Coordinator will be addressing his team meeting on Wednesday with the "let's kill Green scenario" Take away the heartbeat of that offense, and they have nothing left. Collins can only hand off and Huard- good gawd we're in trouble.

WTF ARE YOU GUYS THINKING OVER THERE IN ARROWHEAD?

I'm not a praying man, but I think I'll have to expend a lot of prayers for Green to remain healthy all season long...I'm praying now.

Katie
09-05-2005, 08:53 AM

I know we'll have an angry defense. DJ and Bell and Gun already look ready to rip out hearts and eat them.

Hungry teams get better, but angry teams **** people up...

I want them hungry AND angry. Beat'em up and then chew'em up... I'd be more worried about the offense if Green had been hurt during camp. These guys have a good solid camp experience together with Green throwing the ball.

Is it possible that Huard was just trying to look bad in preseason?

Skip Towne
09-05-2005, 09:06 AM
I suspect VD knows things we don't.

jspchief
09-05-2005, 09:43 AM
As strange as it may sound, I think Green being shaky in the first game or two may be a good thing. It will force Saunders to stick with the run more, something he doesn't do well, particularly early in the year.

BigMeatballDave
09-05-2005, 10:03 AM
As strange as it may sound, I think Green being shaky in the first game or two may be a good thing. It will force Saunders to stick with the run more, something he doesn't do well, particularly early in the year.I've noticed that, too. Might have something to do with Green struggling early every season. We have 2 great RBs, USE THEM, AL...

Mr. Laz
09-05-2005, 10:47 AM
“I’ll be honest with you,” receiver Marc Boerigter said. “I think we talked too much about our schedule being tough last year

:clap:

someone send this to Vermeil

go bowe
09-05-2005, 11:07 AM

Hungry teams get better, but angry teams **** people up...pffffft...

your just saying that because your an angry drunken german... :p :p :p

stevieray
09-05-2005, 12:47 PM
Man I miss Ivan Carter.

Chiefs Pantalones
09-05-2005, 12:55 PM
You can whine about the schedule, or you can go kick it's ass.

Chiefs Pantalones
09-05-2005, 12:58 PM
Last year, I thought we had a favorable schedule (if you're gonna talk about that).

Denver on the road, then Carolina and Texans at home. That's a good chance at 2-1. But we screwed the pooch, nobodies fault but our own.

If you're a good team, you'll be fine. We weren't last year. DV was more like a grandfather last year than a coach, taking up for the crappy kid and all.

Thig Lyfe
09-05-2005, 01:17 PM
You can whine about the schedule, or you can go kick it's ass.

Too true.

mcan
09-05-2005, 03:56 PM
The fact is, these teams are good teams.

But the BIGGER fact us, so are we. We have the best offense in the NFL for the last several years, and a MUCH improved defense. I'm betting they are a whole lot more scared than we are!

GO GET EM.

whoman69
09-05-2005, 06:32 PM
Sounds like the built in excuse is there. Sorry, but I'm not accepting excuses this year.
Its incomprehensible that as poorly as Huard played, combined with the fact he is not 100% that he even made the squad, let alone is being depended upon as the backup for week one. Horrible decision, and I hope it doesn't come back to bite us in the butt. If Huard gets significant playing time, put an L in the column.

milkman
09-05-2005, 06:35 PM
The fact is, these teams are good teams.

But the BIGGER fact us, so are we. We have the best offense in the NFL for the last several years, and a MUCH improved defense. I'm betting they are a whole lot more scared than we are!

GO GET EM.

I believe that we do have a much improved defense, but until we prove it on Sunday, and continue to prove it throughout the season, it ain't a fact.

tk13
09-05-2005, 06:35 PM
If any QB besides Green plays, it's going to be an L. To me this worrying about our 3rd QB is irrelevant. In htismaqe terms I would say:

Anything < Green = bad

milkman
09-05-2005, 06:41 PM
If any QB besides Green plays, it's going to be an L. To me this worrying about our 3rd QB is irrelevant. In htismaqe terms I would say:

Anything < Green = bad

In this case, I believe it's;

Anything < Green = Cover you're eyes, it's gonna be hideous.