PDA

View Full Version : Fairy Mice calls it quits...

DaWolf
09-05-2005, 11:46 AM
Rice to retire after learning expected role for Broncos (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2152365)

Jerry Rice is calling it a career.

The future Hall of Fame receiver is to announce his retirement at a Monday afternoon news conference, ESPN's Andrea Kremer.

Rice, who met with Broncos head coach Mike Shanahan earlier in the day, was informed he was not going to be Denver's No. 3 receiver and possibly would not be active for every game. After learning of that role, Rice decided he would rather retire, according to Kremer.

When the Broncos cut down their roster to 53 players on Saturday, the 42-year-old Rice made the squad, but knew he potentially could be Denver's last option at receiver.

Darius Watts' strong performance in Friday night's 30-21 preseason victory over Arizona won him the No. 3 job behind Rod Smith and Ashley Lelie. Rice had moved ahead of Watts on the depth chart earlier in camp, but Watts' recent push changed the team's thinking.

In fact, Charlie Adams is expected to challenge Watts for the No. 3 job. Adams has been cut a couple times, and he's catching the ball well after getting contact.

Rice signed with Denver this summer in hopes of finishing his career as a backup with the Broncos. He wanted to be the team's No. 3 receiver.

"That was a must for him," Rice's agent, Jim Steiner, told The Associated Press on Sunday.

Workers at the hotel where Rice has stayed since he signed with Denver -- a golf resort close to the Broncos facility -- said Rice's golf clubs were gone, and he checked out of the hotel late last week.

Denver kept six receivers on its final roster, including Rice, Darius Watts, Charlie Adams and Todd Devoe.

After Denver's final preseason game Friday, Rice told the Denver Post: "Those guys deserve to be on the field. They worked real hard. The thing is, I'm going to hold my head high if it doesn't work out."

Frazod
09-05-2005, 12:02 PM
Rice to retire after learning expected role for Broncos (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2152365)

Jerry Rice is calling it a career.

The future Hall of Fame receiver is to announce his retirement at a Monday afternoon news conference, ESPN's Andrea Kremer.

Rice, who met with Broncos head coach Mike Shanahan earlier in the day, was informed he was not going to be Denver's No. 3 receiver and possibly would not be active for every game. After learning of that role, Rice decided he would rather retire, according to Kremer.

When the Broncos cut down their roster to 53 players on Saturday, the 42-year-old Rice made the squad, but knew he potentially could be Denver's last option at receiver.

Darius Watts' strong performance in Friday night's 30-21 preseason victory over Arizona won him the No. 3 job behind Rod Smith and Ashley Lelie. Rice had moved ahead of Watts on the depth chart earlier in camp, but Watts' recent push changed the team's thinking.

In fact, Charlie Adams is expected to challenge Watts for the No. 3 job. Adams has been cut a couple times, and he's catching the ball well after getting contact.

Rice signed with Denver this summer in hopes of finishing his career as a backup with the Broncos. He wanted to be the team's No. 3 receiver.

"That was a must for him," Rice's agent, Jim Steiner, told The Associated Press on Sunday.

Workers at the hotel where Rice has stayed since he signed with Denver -- a golf resort close to the Broncos facility -- said Rice's golf clubs were gone, and he checked out of the hotel late last week.

Denver kept six receivers on its final roster, including Rice, Darius Watts, Charlie Adams and Todd Devoe.

After Denver's final preseason game Friday, Rice told the Denver Post: "Those guys deserve to be on the field. They worked real hard. The thing is, I'm going to hold my head high if it doesn't work out."

Nice to see he won't be tarnishing his legacy any further. Like suiting up for the Raiders wasn't bad enough.

DJay23
09-05-2005, 12:33 PM
It's always sad to see a legend of the game go down sputtering and spitting instead of in a blaze of glory.

beavis
09-05-2005, 12:40 PM
It's always sad to see a legend of the game go down sputtering and spitting instead of in a blaze of glory.
Yep. He's the anti-Barry Sanders.

DJay23
09-05-2005, 12:42 PM
Yep. He's the anti-Barry Sanders.
anti-Jim Brown too.

Bowser
09-05-2005, 12:44 PM
He should have called it a career after the Raiders. He shouldn't have even gone to the Seahawks, much less the Broncos.

Demonpenz
09-05-2005, 12:47 PM
ehhh for some reason i don't care about atheletes hanging on. Hell if i played a kids game i would want to play until they banned me from the ball park. Doesn't ricky henderson still play baseball?

the Talking Can
09-05-2005, 12:47 PM
I remember when Rice was a great WR.....no, actually, I don't.

HarryParatestes
09-05-2005, 01:10 PM
he can get together with Michael Jordan now and reflect... :shake:

Bwana
09-05-2005, 01:18 PM
Wise choice, a little late, but a wise choice none the less.

Rudy lost the toss
09-05-2005, 01:25 PM
what a way to go out

stumppy
09-05-2005, 01:44 PM
:toast:Here's to your NFL career J.R.

Now that he's finally retired........

Does anyone want to buy his Topps Rookie card ?

I'd take $50.00

chiefs4me
09-05-2005, 02:48 PM
bite my ass all of you..:harumph:

Here's to you Jerry....thanks for a great football career and 100's of outstanding espn highlights and catches.....:thumb:

Tribal Warfare
09-05-2005, 03:05 PM
Fairy Mice calls it quits

WTF it's Jerry Rice!!!!!!!!! The greatest WR of all-time. He deserves respect god damn it :shake:

This has been the most slighted I've been to neg bomb you people for this disrespect. Added to that he is quality individual

Mr. Laz
09-05-2005, 03:13 PM
bite my ass all of you..:harumph:
http://www.ptnation.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/hump.gif

Miles
09-05-2005, 03:21 PM
He should have called it a career after the Raiders. He shouldn't have even gone to the Seahawks, much less the Broncos.

He had a few productive games with them though. Including one with 145yds and a TD.

Miles
09-05-2005, 03:25 PM
ehhh for some reason i don't care about atheletes hanging on. Hell if i played a kids game i would want to play until they banned me from the ball park. Doesn't ricky henderson still play baseball?

Yeah last I heard Ricky was playing in some independant league this year. I feel the same way about guys hanging on at the end of their careers. I could care less about the whole tarnish the legacy thing.

Chief Roundup
09-05-2005, 03:44 PM
Glad he finally is retiring. He should of done it a couple of years ago.

Katie
09-05-2005, 04:36 PM
God bless you Jerry, and thanks for all the great football highlights!

Logical
09-05-2005, 04:39 PM
Wow I cannot believe the disrespect for the greatest WR ever to play the game bar none. I would happily have taken even one year of Jerry playing for the Chiefs. Fact is he is better than Chris Horn today but wisely would not accept that role.

chiefs4me
09-05-2005, 05:09 PM
http://www.ptnation.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/hump.gif

omg.....ROFL that is awesome..I just stole it from you.:p

chiefs4me
09-05-2005, 05:11 PM
Wow I cannot believe the disrespect for the greatest WR ever to play the game bar none. I would happily have taken even one year of Jerry playing for the Chiefs. Fact is he is better than Chris Horn today but wisely would not accept that role.

Stop the freaking world.......Vlad and I actually agreee on something....:p

jettio
09-05-2005, 05:13 PM
Our top pick that year went to the Raiders, unlike Jerry Rice, he retired a long time ago.

1 Buffalo Bruce Smith DE Virginia Tech
2 Atlanta Bill Fralic G Pittsburgh
3 Houston Ray Childress DT Texas A&M
4 Minnesota Chris Doleman DE Pittsburgh
5 Indianapolis Duane Bickett OLB Southern California
6 Detroit Lomas Brown T Florida
7 Green Bay Ken Ruettgers T Southern California
8 Tampa Bay Ron Holmes DE Washington
9 Philadelphia Kevin Allen T Indiana
10 N.Y. Jets Al Toon WR Wisconsin
11 Houston Richard Johnson CB Wisconsin
12 San Diego Jim Lachey T Ohio State