PDA

View Full Version : Rice to announce his retirement.

chief52
09-05-2005, 11:00 AM
According to ESPN, Rice will announce his retirement in the next half hour.

Great career, time to move on.

milkman
09-05-2005, 11:02 AM
According to ESPN, Rice will announce his retirement in the next half hour.

Great career, time to move on.

Actually that time passed a couple of years ago.

John_Wayne
09-05-2005, 11:02 AM
It's about time.

the Talking Can
09-05-2005, 11:31 AM
Denver loses another the next Barry Sanders.

Michael Michigan
09-05-2005, 11:32 AM
Denver loses another the next Barry Sanders.

Or the next Jerry Rice...

Uatu
09-05-2005, 11:33 AM
Denver is clearly thin at the "WR over 80" position.

Sure-Oz
09-05-2005, 11:33 AM
great career

Kerberos
09-05-2005, 09:12 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=wojciechowski_gene&id=2152573

It's official I guess until he signs a one day contract with the 9ers and starts becoming the legend he is and should be.

:thumb:

Rain Man
09-05-2005, 09:14 PM
They just showed the news conference here. The Bron cos made Jerry Rice cry. Bad, bad Bronc os.

Krazzykirk
09-05-2005, 10:32 PM
Jerry Rice is the best WR ever.........even though he should have maybe retired 2 years ago.....his work ethic is the best that I have ever seen.

Count Zarth
09-05-2005, 10:34 PM
Taco will be along soon to tell us he's better than any WR on the Chiefs roster.

Mr. Kotter
09-05-2005, 10:37 PM
They just showed the news conference here. The Bron cos made Jerry Rice cry. Bad, bad Bronc os.

ROFL

Wallcrawler
09-05-2005, 11:15 PM
That sucks for Jerry Rice. He's the greatest wide receiver that the game has ever seen, and he wanted to keep playing. Its a shame he had to go out like that.

People talk about how legends should just hang it up when they start to decline, but I dont buy into that. If anyone ever earned the right to keep playing as long as he still wanted to play, it was Jerry Rice.

38 NFL records the guy holds. Thats incredible, and it gets said so much that I think that just how incredible that is gets lost somewhere.

Jerry Rice ends an amazing career. Going to be a little wierd following the NFL and not hearing anything about Jerry Rice.

Consistent1
09-05-2005, 11:16 PM
Jerry Rice is the best WR ever.........even though he should have maybe retired 2 years ago.....his work ethic is the best that I have ever seen.

Great player? Yes...asshole? Also yes IMO. If he wanted to play so bad, he would have stuck it out. He SHOULD have stuck it out. Look at the WR position here with the Chiefs. What if Rice had come in and been a solid #4 and barely been beaten out by a far less experienced player? Rice might have been a #3 within a few weeks. Talk about pulling chain. Jerry really prolly thinks that he could still beat out Torry Holt...lmao. He was gonna make decent money for sticking it out, and I bet he would have played quite a bit. Should have retired before. At least when Emmitt kept playing, he was part of the team and tried to help the TEAM. Rice is out for Rice, and these last few years have made him look like an idiot,. I read some of his quotes from the press conference and just had to roll my eyes.

KChiefsQT
09-05-2005, 11:25 PM
Great player? Yes...asshole? Also yes IMO. If he wanted to play so bad, he would have stuck it out. He SHOULD have stuck it out. Look at the WR position here with the Chiefs. What if Rice had come in and been a solid #4 and barely been beaten out by a far less experienced player? Rice might have been a #3 within a few weeks. Talk about pulling chain. Jerry really prolly thinks that he could still beat out Torry Holt...lmao. He was gonna make decent money for sticking it out, and I bet he would have played quite a bit. Should have retired before. At least when Emmitt kept playing, he was part of the team and tried to help the TEAM. Rice is out for Rice, and these last few years have made him look like an idiot,. I read some of his quotes from the press conference and just had to roll my eyes.

Rice is far from an idiot. He's put in his time... his time is up and now he's retiring.

Wallcrawler
09-05-2005, 11:26 PM
Rice is out for Rice, and these last few years have made him look like an idiot,. I read some of his quotes from the press conference and just had to roll my eyes.

Yeah, how selfish of the best wide receiver to ever play the game to actually want to get a position on the team where he could actually play every week.

He wasnt trying to be the starter, you clod, so your "Rice probably thought he could beat out Torry Holt" comment is probably the dumbest thing Ive heard in quite some time. He wanted to be at least the third option. If Rice was out for Rice, he would have drawn his check for doing practicly nothing for the team. Shanahan had told Rice that there was a possibility that he wouldnt even be active for every game. Rice knew his role wouldnt allow him to contribute much to the team, so he left. How that is selfish is quite beyond me. If youre going to continue to post in this manner, you should watch who you are saying looks like an idiot, because people who live in glass houses should not throw stones.

Consistent1
09-05-2005, 11:47 PM
Yeah, how selfish of the best wide receiver to ever play the game to actually want to get a position on the team where he could actually play every week.

He wasnt trying to be the starter, you clod, so your "Rice probably thought he could beat out Torry Holt" comment is probably the dumbest thing Ive heard in quite some time. He wanted to be at least the third option. If Rice was out for Rice, he would have drawn his check for doing practicly nothing for the team. Shanahan had told Rice that there was a possibility that he wouldnt even be active for every game. Rice knew his role wouldnt allow him to contribute much to the team, so he left. How that is selfish is quite beyond me. If youre going to continue to post in this manner, you should watch who you are saying looks like an idiot, because people who live in glass houses should not throw stones.

I will tell you this much, I can't see how you can take up for him. He started the season, which in history will be a fact, and he quit. He has put his time in and all that shit, I agree. But when guys like Rice come in and don't stick it out, this sport gets one step closer to the NBA. As far as the Holt comment, I liked how Rice said in the press conference that the young guys were "amazed" at how well he could still run. Translation....he should have been treated better, because he is Jerry Rice. I bet if Rice told you his true opinion, he would be the # 2 option for Denver. Honestly. I like bold guys, I like cocky guys, but I really like guys that stick it out. Most of us will never get the chance to work for a year and make what he could have made. **** Rice, I will say it right now. Unless Denver took him as a joke in the beginning, then he failed them. Football is a team sport, not a venue for Rice to get his desired position or quit. I still think he could have made some plays. If he even comes back...well...

Consistent1
09-05-2005, 11:58 PM
Even in his farewell news conference, while Rice grudgingly admitted that his skills had slipped over time, he added his route-running "was still pretty good." In his mind, Rice can still catch touchdown passes and still contribute it's just that nobody will give him a chance.

It's a gift to be able to make millions playing a kid's game, but it was never money that kept driving Rice. It was love of the game and love of competition. When Rice joined the Raiders in 2001, he and Tim Brown became teammates and golfing buddies. They played each Tuesday, their off day, and whoever won got possession of a little trophy to keep for one week until they played again.

And if any of this is true, he could have showed everyone one more time that he could contribute, and be a team player. He would have still been able to make a few plays. It would have been like a farewell tour, and he could have finished on a positive note. He didn't earn the right to walk out on a team. It was all about Jerry my brothers, and he didn't get his way.

ENDelt260
09-06-2005, 12:07 AM
He started the season

Shit! I missed the start of the season?!?! Oh crap... that means I missed a week of work, too. I am so fired.

Consistent1
09-06-2005, 12:12 AM
Shit! I missed the start of the season?!?! Oh crap... that means I missed a week of work, too. I am so fired.

Funny enough I guess, but do you consider the Chiefs camp to be part of the season? Or should they just show up on gameday, get issued some pads and roll out? If he made the Chiefs as a fourth option with the guys we have here, you guys would be livid that he should have stuck it out. Now go back and stroke off to you Ex-Mt. Jerry Rice rookie, and spare me trying to be clever.

ENDelt260
09-06-2005, 12:27 AM
Funny enough I guess, but do you consider the Chiefs camp to be part of the season?

Um, no.

spare me trying to be clever.

You haven't got a chance in hell of this request being honored.

Wallcrawler
09-06-2005, 01:05 AM
Even in his farewell news conference, while Rice grudgingly admitted that his skills had slipped over time, he added his route-running "was still pretty good." In his mind, Rice can still catch touchdown passes and still contribute it's just that nobody will give him a chance.

Exactly. He wants to be in the top three wide receiver rotation, and make a solid contribution to the team, or not play at all. That is the same thing that Tim Brown did when he retired. When youre not getting the playing time, after having a hall of fame career, its agony. I dont blame him one bit for stepping aside.

And if any of this is true, he could have showed everyone one more time that he could contribute, and be a team player. He would have still been able to make a few plays.

Yeah, sure. In the games that Shanahan actually had him active, and then playing the 4th/5th wideout spot. I can just imagine the plethora of great plays he would have made.

It would have been like a farewell tour, and he could have finished on a positive note.

Yeah, positive note. Whatever you say. Going from a hall of fame receiver contributing for a major part of the game, to going to not being active every game and playing at the bottom of the receiver list. If that is what you call a positive note, Id sure hate to see your idea of a negative one.

He didn't earn the right to walk out on a team.

Oh, wow. He really pulled a Ricky Williams didnt he? How will the Broncos ever recover from losing a receiver at the bottom of the depth chart? Save the drama for your mama fool, noone is buying it here.

It was all about Jerry my brothers, and he didn't get his way.

Rice wanted to play. Period. There is nothing wrong with that. Why you think that Rice did the Broncos a terrible injustice by not being the official benchwarmer for the receivers this season is quite beyond my comprehension.

Kerberos
09-06-2005, 06:28 AM
Um, no.

You haven't got a chance in hell of this request being honored.

Come En ... You remember when you had "YOUR" first beer doncha?

:D

Consistent1
09-06-2005, 10:37 PM
Come En ... You remember when you had "YOUR" first beer doncha?

:D

Pretty good my bro, but I just had my second tonight. Jerry got on my shit-list when he chose to wear Largo's #. I don't care if he politely said he could, Rice would do no such thing 10 years down the road. Steve Largent is every bit the man that Rice would like to be and more. I have NOT doubted Rice's career or value in history here. I am just telling you that he would gladly accept a role larger than he can play to prolong his career. He is one cocky S.O.B. and really would like to accept the #1 spot on some team. Emmitt kept his career going, perhaps too long, but he accepted a role. E. Smith is twice the man Rice can hope to be. Jerry is Jerry, and he still #1 in his heart. Good and bad in that, because I never want to quit either. However, Rice would prolong his stint at anyone's expense and doesn't have the heart to stick it out. He would have had substantial playing time, unless Denver chose to say he would be # 4 when that wasn't the case. B.I.T.C.H...whatever happened to helping the young guys out and taking a role, for a salary that most of us will never get. If the stats don't rack up, Jerry is gone...and we saw that. I will bet you a million $'s that Rice was thinking 1000, and 8 TD's..he is what he is..

KChiefsQT
09-07-2005, 12:23 AM
Pretty good my bro, but I just had my second tonight. Jerry got on my shit-list when he chose to wear Largo's #. I don't care if he politely said he could, Rice would do no such thing 10 years down the road. Steve Largent is every bit the man that Rice would like to be and more. I have NOT doubted Rice's career or value in history here. I am just telling you that he would gladly accept a role larger than he can play to prolong his career. He is one cocky S.O.B. and really would like to accept the #1 spot on some team. Emmitt kept his career going, perhaps too long, but he accepted a role. E. Smith is twice the man Rice can hope to be. Jerry is Jerry, and he still #1 in his heart. Good and bad in that, because I never want to quit either. However, Rice would prolong his stint at anyone's expense and doesn't have the heart to stick it out. He would have had substantial playing time, unless Denver chose to say he would be # 4 when that wasn't the case. B.I.T.C.H...whatever happened to helping the young guys out and taking a role, for a salary that most of us will never get. If the stats don't rack up, Jerry is gone...and we saw that. I will bet you a million $'s that Rice was thinking 1000, and 8 TD's..he is what he is..

Are we talking about the same Jerry here??