PDA

View Full Version : Emotion I have to share with somebody

mcan
09-05-2005, 12:18 PM
I thought you guys might understand this, and it's something that I can't (or I guess just don't want to) keep to myself.

I'm archiving my Chiefs games over to DVD. It took me about week to get through all the games of 2000 (my first season recording the games). I'm just starting that abysmal 2001 season. Last night I watched the Raider game from week one and remembered every play. The 4th and 10 that Trent scrambled for a first down. The ensuing (tying) TD to Snoop Minnis. I watched again in horror as the Raiders got all the way into winning field goal position in just a kick return and two plays.

So, I pop in week 2 this morning, and it all comes flooding back...

Pre-game with Terry holding a Bible. Everybody realing. The crowd passing the boot around Arrowhead. Bon Jovi singing America The Beautiful with both verses. I'm playing poker online and the TV is on in the background. When I hear "God shed his grace on thee..." and my eyes start to well up. Wounds that I thought were scarred over start to reopen. Then the National Anthum, and crowd yells "BRAVE." That's all it took. All the sudden I'm a mess all over again. Like it just happened.

Anyway, typing it, and watching some of this game (that we lose) has me thinking about football and poker again. Thanks for listening. Go about your business.

Here's hoping for a world where we can all love each other someday,
~~Matt Mccann

Halfcan
09-05-2005, 12:22 PM
umm this should have been on the down on your luck thread. Hang in there though and good luck.

chefsos
09-05-2005, 12:31 PM
umm this should have been on the down on your luck thread. Hang in there though and good luck.

Maybe you missed the point.
Think September. 2001.

mcan
09-05-2005, 12:42 PM
Maybe you missed the point.
Think September. 2001.

I guess I never typed that... This was the week after (actually 2 weeks after) 9/11. It's just a tough thing to really let go. Even the commercials are all "America" oriented. Some of it is a bit shamefull in retrospect. "Keep America growing, buy a Chevy truck." It's probably a genuine sentiment, but it comes off as shallow.

stumppy
09-05-2005, 12:50 PM
~~Matt Mccann

I'm with ya.

Until then I reserve the right hate them fuggers with every fiber of my being.

go bowe
09-05-2005, 01:13 PM
~~Matt Mccannmmmmm...

kink-eeee...

Thig Lyfe
09-05-2005, 01:38 PM
mmmmm...

kink-eeee...
:shake: You bastard.

:p

Chiefs Pantalones
09-05-2005, 01:42 PM
Tell me, mcan...

When was the last time you cried?

Rausch
09-05-2005, 02:02 PM
9/11 is this generation's JFK...

Baby Lee
09-05-2005, 02:09 PM
9/11 is this generation's JFK...
Then the airliner paused, . . . in MID-AIR mind you, made a ninety degree turn, striking Connelly in the armpit. That, friends, is one magic airplane.

Too sick?

Rausch
09-05-2005, 02:14 PM
Then the airliner paused, . . . in MID-AIR mind you, made a ninety degree turn, striking Connelly in the armpit. That, friends, is one magic airplane.

Too sick?

Probably. I'd compare the Flight over Penn. that crashed to the magic bullet myself...

mcan
09-05-2005, 02:38 PM
Tell me, mcan...

When was the last time you cried?

Before a couple hours ago?
January of 2003

ENDelt260
09-05-2005, 03:05 PM
January of 2003
What the heck... do you note it on the calendar?

I don't remember the last time I cried... but, I was probably drunk.... and just witnessed a beer being spilled.

Ari Chi3fs
09-05-2005, 03:15 PM
last time I cried was Oct 17 2001 when my son was born... and came out purple. No one warned me that he was gonna come out purple... it was a tear jerker.

angel
09-05-2005, 03:17 PM
January of 2003
what happened then?

ENDelt260
09-05-2005, 03:18 PM
what happened then?
I bet you kicked him in the shin, didn't you? You big meanie.

stevieray
09-05-2005, 03:18 PM
what happened then?

Chiefs lost to the Colts

ENDelt260
09-05-2005, 03:20 PM
Chiefs lost to the Colts
I'm fairly certain the Chiefs weren't playing in January 03.

angel
09-05-2005, 03:20 PM
Chiefs lost to the Colts
that was my 23rd birthday, too... we were there, I think I had blocked that from my memory
my dad bought me tickets to that game for my birthday

I'm sorry I asked, now all that pain is back to the surface...

stevieray
09-05-2005, 03:22 PM
I'm fairly certain the Chiefs weren't playing in January 03.

oops, it was 04. my bad.

Sorry angel.

mcan
09-05-2005, 03:23 PM
that was my 23rd birthday, too... we were there, I think I had blocked that from my memory
my dad bought me tickets to that game for my birthday

I'm sorry I asked, now all that pain is back to the surface...

That would have been January of '04.

I'm talking about something that happened at ACTF. Colts @ Chiefs just pissed me off...

angel
09-05-2005, 03:24 PM
That would have been January of '04.

I'm talking about something that happened at ACTF. Colts @ Chiefs just pissed me off...
right... but it's still upsetting to have that brought up again- you were there, it wasn't a good time

chiefs4me
09-05-2005, 05:17 PM
I guess I never typed that... This was the week after (actually 2 weeks after) 9/11. It's just a tough thing to really let go. Even the commercials are all "America" oriented. Some of it is a bit shamefull in retrospect. "Keep America growing, buy a Chevy truck." It's probably a genuine sentiment, but it comes off as shallow.

you did just fine typing it...and with the game description, well it's their fault for not knowing...I am sorry it made you sad to remember it...and you are not alone, I can never ever hear that song without crying...so just think how many times I cry with the nascar races and hockey games plus football....:deevee:And no one says you have to let go...nothing wrong with not forgetting something like this. Happy labor Day....:thumb:

mcan
09-06-2005, 12:19 AM
you did just fine typing it...and with the game description, well it's their fault for not knowing...I am sorry it made you sad to remember it...and you are not alone, I can never ever hear that song without crying...so just think how many times I cry with the nascar races and hockey games plus football....:deevee:And no one says you have to let go...nothing wrong with not forgetting something like this. Happy labor Day....:thumb:

Thanks for the well wishes. Hope yours was relaxing and fun.

keg in kc
09-06-2005, 02:16 AM
What is this "emotion" you speak of?

Pants
09-06-2005, 02:22 AM
What's ACTF?

mcan
09-06-2005, 03:56 AM
What's ACTF?

The American College Theatre Festival. It's an academic theatre festival held once a year regionally, and then a couple months later, the Kennedy Center hosts the national festival.

jspchief
09-06-2005, 06:47 AM
I was at that game. We played the New Jersey Giants. It was also the game where we retired Derrick Thomas' jersey at halftime. Most depressing game I've ever attended. The pre-game stuff dampened the crowd considerably, then just when they started getting wound up again, we did the #58 ceremony.

It all just kind of sucked the life out of the stadium.