PDA

View Full Version : I need a credit card

KCJake
09-05-2005, 08:06 PM
Hey guys, i've got some things I need to take care of in the next month. Not very much, maybe $500-700. Which credit card would be best for me? I need to get one soon. Im going to use it to pay for my trip to the Eagles vs Chiefs game, Oct 2nd.

Im 23 years old with perfect credit, just not a whole lot of it. What do you guys think?

ArrowheadHawk
09-05-2005, 08:07 PM
havn't you seen the capital one commericals?

ENDelt260
09-05-2005, 08:08 PM
If you get one with no annual fee and pay it off every month they're all pretty much the same.

I picked my first credit card because it had a cool tie dye design.

alanm
09-05-2005, 08:11 PM
havn't you seen the capital one commericals?
I gotta go with AH on this one. Capitol One would be a very good first card. :thumb:

Darkwolfe
09-05-2005, 08:25 PM
Capitol One is who mine are with. Very very good fraud protection, which is a major plus these days.

Electric
09-05-2005, 08:30 PM
If I were to recommend a card for anyone it would be one that gives you a rebate for usage.

Endelt said that it didn't matter if you paid your bill every month, a truer statement cannot be made, but if you are going to have one I'd choose one that did the cash back thing.

Once you get over your personal limit for spending and carry a balance on the card the interest can eat you up. Be responsible and you will be OK.

KCJake
09-05-2005, 08:32 PM
Alright, thanks guys. Im going to check out the capital one website right now.

Miles
09-05-2005, 08:36 PM
If you have a checking account with one of the larger banks you may want to see what they have to offer. The credit card integrated with online banking is pretty handy. You can look up the accounts together and make your credit card payments very easily.

Rain Man
09-05-2005, 08:42 PM
If you plan to charge more than about $500 a month, it's a good deal to get a rewards credit card that gives you frequent flyer miles or something. Less than that, and it's not worth the annual fee.

KCJake
09-05-2005, 09:12 PM
I just applied for the Capital One Platinum: Prestige card. Looked like a really good deal. I guess?? Im basically going to use this card to get my game tickets, plane tickets, and hotel room for the Chiefs vs Eagles game. After that, I probably won't use it much at all.

ENDelt260
09-05-2005, 09:14 PM
My first credit card was a Capital One. I don't see the tie dye design on their site anymore.

KCJake
09-05-2005, 10:03 PM
My first credit card was a Capital One. I don't see the tie dye design on their site anymore.
Did they even have credit cards back then? :)

ENDelt260
09-05-2005, 10:04 PM
Back then? I'm only 26.

Bowser
09-05-2005, 10:05 PM
I'll give you mine, but the card comes pre-used, and you get to sign for the debt already amassed......

luv
09-05-2005, 10:06 PM
Back then? I'm only 26.
Old man! :p

KC Jones
09-05-2005, 10:06 PM
Back then? I'm only 26.

yeah, but you have the liver of a 70 year old :D

Phobia
09-05-2005, 10:07 PM

That was a pretty uninformed joke. You guys both probably humped some of the same cows in college.

wutamess
09-05-2005, 10:19 PM
Hey guys, i've got some things I need to take care of in the next month. Not very much, maybe $500-700. Which credit card would be best for me? I need to get one soon. Im going to use it to pay for my trip to the Eagles vs Chiefs game, Oct 2nd.

Im 23 years old with perfect credit, just not a whole lot of it. What do you guys think?

I'd hold off on getting that CC if Iw ere you.
I know you seem like the world is about to end if you don't get one but I'm willing to bet you could hold off.

You'll thank me later.

KCJake
09-05-2005, 10:26 PM
Back then? I'm only 26.
Sorry. The "tie dye" design had me thinking you were from the hippie days.

Phobia
09-05-2005, 10:27 PM
Yeah, because they used to tie dye their credit cards back in the day.

KCJake
09-05-2005, 10:27 PM
I know you seem like the world is about to end if you don't get one but I'm willing to bet you could hold off.

You'll thank me later.
A few people are telling me this. I really just need some cash to cover my trip to KC. After that, I really won't use the card much at all.

luv
09-05-2005, 11:04 PM

My first two cards were Capital One cards. I'm still paying for them, and I said the same thing you did. Just be careful.

chief99
09-05-2005, 11:22 PM
Awesome show. Should have won some awards.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/credit/

wutamess
09-05-2005, 11:53 PM
A few people are telling me this. I really just need some cash to cover my trip to KC. After that, I really won't use the card much at all.

Been there... done that...
Had an ex that said the exact same thing. Next thing you know, last time I checked with her about her balance a few years back, she's more than $15K over her head on what was supposed to be an initial $1000 CC limit.

Have a younger sister that's been bailed out of her CC debt by my parents twice using the exact same logic you have. Now she's ran it up a third time using your same logic and they aren't bailing her out of this one.

Even though I think you've already got your mind made up, please take the advise and realize that it's not worth it.

Just skip the trip if you need a CC to finance it. There'll be more opp's for you to come to K.C. There's a reason CC's are so easy to get and people even give you free things to sign up for one.

I have 0 CC's other than my debit card.
I live by the rule of... if I can't buy it with cash... I don't NEED it.

Just trying to save you a BUNCH of headache down the line that's all.

If it's just to finance your trip... see if you can take out a loan from the bank. Low interest rates and you know you can't keep using it for a cash cow when you THINK you need it.

elvomito
09-06-2005, 02:00 AM
one option: greendot prepaid credit card. go to radioshack and ask them about it. also, looks like walgreens has them
http://www.walgreens.com/store/promotion/greendot/default.jsp

Pants
09-06-2005, 02:08 AM
My first and 1 of the 2 current ones was a Capital One card with a very low limit (had it since I was 16, and no it's not under my parents name). My 2nd one with a higher limit is Chase, it's the one with 0% APR for a year, basically if you don't go over the limit and pay it off in time it's like a loan with 0% interest. I love it. I've been using CCs my whole financial semi-independence (ever since I got a job at 15) and never had any kinds of trouble, save for 2 payments of $30 for overcharging ($60 in almost 5 years isn't that bad). All you have to do is follow your activity closely (I usually check the website once or twice a week to see where I'm at) and make sure you make the payments on time.

If you have a 0% APR, you can just make the minimum payments every month, usually $10, but make sure you don't overcharge because the whole thing will go to hell. Also make sure to cancel that card in a year, because the rates will go insane after that special date. If it's not a 0% APR, pay the whole statement amounts every month (on time) like ENDelt said and you will be fine. Credit card companies only make money off of the stores and irresponsible people. So far they've only made $60 from me...

Mr Grimm
09-06-2005, 02:16 AM

You'll thank me later.

actually, if he sticks to his plan, it might not be bad. its all on self control. my first card had a $200 limit. somthing i could control and pay off with 1 check if it maxed it.

i now have 2. and 140 credit points over "perfect" credit. and zero balances on both cards. its just self control, but they can be great for credit history building.

tk13
09-06-2005, 02:21 AM
That was a pretty uninformed joke. You guys both probably humped some of the same cows in college.
I laughed out loud at that. I don't know why.

The Bad Guy
09-06-2005, 02:31 AM
Been there... done that...
Had an ex that said the exact same thing. Next thing you know, last time I checked with her about her balance a few years back, she's more than $15K over her head on what was supposed to be an initial $1000 CC limit.

Have a younger sister that's been bailed out of her CC debt by my parents twice using the exact same logic you have. Now she's ran it up a third time using your same logic and they aren't bailing her out of this one.

Even though I think you've already got your mind made up, please take the advise and realize that it's not worth it.

Just skip the trip if you need a CC to finance it. There'll be more opp's for you to come to K.C. There's a reason CC's are so easy to get and people even give you free things to sign up for one.

I have 0 CC's other than my debit card.
I live by the rule of... if I can't buy it with cash... I don't NEED it.

Just trying to save you a BUNCH of headache down the line that's all.

If it's just to finance your trip... see if you can take out a loan from the bank. Low interest rates and you know you can't keep using it for a cash cow when you THINK you need it.

If he has perfect credit, why can't he get a card that has zero % on purchases for a year? That's far better than getting a loan and paying the bank interest.

I completely disagree with you. You only live once and if you are dying to come to KC, then do it.

Credit cards aren't the devil. People who can't manage them are. I've had credit cards since I was 18, I learned a few lessons along the way, but I've built up my credit, never missed a payment in 7 years, and have managed my accounts pretty well. But just because you had people around you mismanage the CC's, doesn't mean that everyone is going to.

Credit cards aren't for some people. I know my limits. If I can't pay off the balance at the end of the month, then I won't buy it.

I have 3 cards now that I have zero % on purchases on for a few more months. Citicards is the one that gives the most zero % on purchases to people with good credit, you might want to check those out Jake.

Andoverer
09-06-2005, 04:56 AM
Playing with credit cards is like playing with snakes. They Bite

wutamess
09-06-2005, 07:51 AM
Credit cards aren't for some people. I know my limits. If I can't pay off the balance at the end of the month, then I won't buy it.

I have 3 cards now that I have zero % on purchases on for a few more months. Citicards is the one that gives the most zero % on purchases to people with good credit, you might want to check those out Jake.

That's just it... He's probably known he's coming to K.C. for a while now... I'm willing to bet enough time he could've probably saved the money to finance his trip. In other words, I don't think he can pay off his K.C. trip in the same month.

Whoever said... you only live once... THAT'S THE FREAKING TRUTH.
Couldn't agree with you more.

Jake you're between a rock and a hard place.
I'd still look at other alternatives besides a CC.

KCJake
09-06-2005, 02:17 PM
That's just it... He's probably known he's coming to K.C. for a while now... I'm willing to bet enough time he could've probably saved the money to finance his trip. In other words, I don't think he can pay off his K.C. trip in the same month.

Whoever said... you only live once... THAT'S THE FREAKING TRUTH.
Couldn't agree with you more.

Jake you're between a rock and a hard place.
I'd still look at other alternatives besides a CC.
Ok guys, here's how it went down. I was told by a relative that did my taxes that I would be receiving around $700 on my return. I planned on financing my KC trip with that $700. The check got here and it was only $275. So, that leaves me a little short. If worst comes to worst, I could borrow the money from a family member, I just don't like doing that.

KC Kings
09-06-2005, 02:57 PM
If he has perfect credit, why can't he get a card that has zero % on purchases for a year? That's far better than getting a loan and paying the bank interest.

I completely disagree with you. You only live once and if you are dying to come to KC, then do it.

Credit cards aren't the devil. People who can't manage them are. I've had credit cards since I was 18, I learned a few lessons along the way, but I've built up my credit, never missed a payment in 7 years, and have managed my accounts pretty well. But just because you had people around you mismanage the CC's, doesn't mean that everyone is going to.

He contradicted himself with that stament though. Perfect credit doesn't mean much for your credit rating if you don't have much of a credit history.

I like the 0% for the x amount of months, because if you don't pay it off within that amount of months, they total up all of the interest and fees and other bs charges and ram it up your arse repeatedly. With that deadline looming over my head I have never had a problem getting them paid off in time.

Calcountry
09-06-2005, 03:13 PM
Back then? I'm only 26.In 5 years, you have run up quite a bar tab on that card too.

ct
09-06-2005, 03:57 PM

You can have mine, and the large credit limit along with it. Just one thing, when we switch it over to your name, you absorb the existing balance, k?

KCJake
09-13-2005, 09:25 PM
Bad news today guys. I applied for the Capital One credit card about 1 week ago. Got a letter today basically saying DENIED! Here are the reasons they gave,

Based on a credit report, there is a lack of recent information on revolving accounts.

Based on a credit report, the current balance owe on accounts is too high.

Based on a credit report, there are too many finance company accounts.

Based on a credit report, the credit history is too short.

Can somebody tell me what all this means? I only currently "owe" on one account. My car loan.
The only "finance company accounts" I have are a checking account, and my car loan.

WTF is going on?

The KC trip is in jeopardy

chief99
09-13-2005, 09:33 PM
Credit Cards for people with bad credit like you.

http://www.creditcards.com/bad-credit.php

http://www.ehow.com/how_5589_credit-card-you.html

KCJake
09-13-2005, 11:31 PM
Credit Cards for people with bad credit like you.

http://www.creditcards.com/bad-credit.php

http://www.ehow.com/how_5589_credit-card-you.html
Ok thanks. Damn, looking at those links is depressing. How in the hell did I get "bad credit"? I always pay my bills. Hell, I only have one :shrug: Never even been a day late.

elvomito
09-13-2005, 11:37 PM
if you've only had your car for a short time, you likely owe close to the starting balance on the loan. that will keep your score down. and if that's the case, your credit history just started recently.
also, discover cards are easier to get. platinum cards are usually for people with a lot of established credit history

Andoverer
09-14-2005, 04:59 AM
Bad news today guys. I applied for the Capital One credit card about 1 week ago. Got a letter today basically saying DENIED! Here are the reasons they gave,

Based on a credit report, there is a lack of recent information on revolving accounts.

Can somebody tell me what all this means? I only currently "owe" on one account. My car loan.
The only "finance company accounts" I have are a checking account, and my car loan.

WTF is going on?

I'd consider getting denied a credit card a blessing in disguise. If you can't pay cash for it, you really can't afford it.

elvomito
09-14-2005, 05:21 AM
yeah but its kinda hard to make hotel reservations without one

Saggysack
09-14-2005, 05:22 AM
I'd consider getting denied a credit card a blessing in disguise. If you can't pay cash for it, you really can't afford it.

Well, fug, I guess there goes the house, the car, the dog....the wife.

Mecca
09-14-2005, 05:31 AM
If everyone waited till they had the cash to buy everything, no one would have anything. Or very few people would have anything, I should say.

Mr Grimm
09-14-2005, 05:52 AM

WTF is going on?

Forget them, go to your local bank. they normally have credit cards they offer to customers and the rates arent bad for a first time cardholder. and since they know you personally, you will probably get approved, plus they have low credit lines.

Andoverer
09-14-2005, 07:12 AM
If everyone waited till they had the cash to buy everything, no one would have anything. Or very few people would have anything, I should say.

Houses are really a different animal when it comes to borrowing money for purchases. It is true most people wouldn't be patient enough to save the complete amount to buy a house with cash, but the rest of the stuff we buy actually should be. The problem for most people is they buy their Starbucks morning coffee, McDonalds lunch and evening with the family at Outback and throw it on the handy dandy credit card because the checkbook might be running low. This cavalier attitude we seem to have towards borrowing money for any kind of purchase is burying folks up to their eyeballs in consumer debt. And I would argue that you would eventually be able to have MUCH MORE if you never borrowed money. Think of the money that you wouldn't be spending toward interest, late charges, too expensive cars that lose most of their value when you drive them off the dealers lot, etc. People might actually save more for their eventual retirement if they had no consumer debt. You will retire someday and you'll either retire with dignity and have money saved or you'll be retired and broke. Wake up people.

Mecca
09-14-2005, 07:25 AM
I actually agree with the majority of what you said to be honest. I only use credit cards if I'm buying somthing that costs like 1000 dollars. Then, I generally pay that off within a month and make sure that is paid off before putting anything on the card again. I think that's a pretty good way to avoid being in dept.

Andoverer
09-14-2005, 07:41 AM
I actually agree with the majority of what you said to be honest. I only use credit cards if I'm buying somthing that costs like 1000 dollars. Then, I generally pay that off within a month and make sure that is paid off before putting anything on the card again. I think that's a pretty good way to avoid being in dept.

That may sound all warm and fuzzy and seem like a solid plan, but I should warn you. Credit card companies are waiting and watching for you to slip up even just barely. Oops! you're one day late with your payment. Now we'll raise your interest rate and charge a bogus late fee because Sally downstairs didn't post your payment quite on time. Wink wink nudge nudge. Oops! my employer let me go unexpectedly just after I made that second $1,000 purchase this weekend and now I'm $2,000 in debt and now have no income. You get my drift. Credit cards are really something best avoided at all cost not something to beckon for.

Mecca
09-14-2005, 07:54 AM
So you're basically saying........Straight Cash Homie! Sorry, I couldn't resist no matter how much of an ass Moss may be. That is still one of the funniest things ever said..........

Phobia
09-14-2005, 08:10 AM
Jake, in order to built your credit you may have to apply for a couple dept store cards first. Next time you go buy a tool at Sears, apply for their credit card. Next time you buy a pair of jeans apply for the store card. Pay off the balances and keep them open. That will establish credit and you'll be able to get a good card soon.

Gaz
09-14-2005, 08:17 AM
Phobia is correct. Being debt-free is a Good Thing, unless you are applying for a credit card. Sign up for a couple of cards. Use them and pay off the balance immediately [this, by the way, is mandatory for credit card usage].

As far as your trip is concerned, you may have to go the travellerís check route. It is doubtful that your credit score will change much by the time your trip comes around.

xoxo~
Gaz
Protects his credit score.

Andoverer
09-14-2005, 08:29 AM
So you're basically saying........Straight Cash Homie! Sorry, I couldn't resist no matter how much of an ass Moss may be. That is still one of the funniest things ever said..........

That will be what I plan to do from now on. Being in debt as a way of life no longer has any appeal to me. I will purchase good used cars with cash that I save up and then not lose depreciation money as badly. Let the first buyer take the butt kicking on that.

Andoverer
09-14-2005, 09:00 AM
Jake, in order to built your credit you may have to apply for a couple dept store cards first. Next time you go buy a tool at Sears, apply for their credit card. Next time you buy a pair of jeans apply for the store card. Pay off the balances and keep them open. That will establish credit and you'll be able to get a good card soon.

It's called working on your FICO score which is equal to an "I love debt" score. Just something to think about.

Phobia
09-14-2005, 09:28 AM
It's called working on your FICO score which is equal to an "I love debt" score. Just something to think about.

Dude, I've been there. I've had tons of CC debt in the past. I don't like it. I'm dealing with it. Apparently your attitude towards CC companies works for you. Doesn't mean it's going to work for Jake. Lots of people handle their CC's responsibly. Not me. Not you. But maybe Jake will.

Gaz
09-14-2005, 09:35 AM
Mrs. Gaz and I put everything on a credit card. Groceries, gas, movie tickets. Everything. We pay off the balance every month, so there is no interest. We have kept our credit score high, so we get good offers for cards with lots of perks. It makes keeping track of finances easier, since all purchases are recorded in one spot.

In addition, we get cashback on purchases. In fact, we have [2] credit cards from the same company. When we reach the cashback limit on the first, we switch to the other.

As long as you are diligent, credit cards can be a useful tool in your financial toolbox. Fortunately, Money Grrl [AKA Mrs. Gaz] is VERY diligent. If I were in charge, it would probably be a serious money pit.

xoxo~
Gaz
Not allowed to wash laundry or balance the accounts.

Hoover
09-14-2005, 09:49 AM
I called my CC company and asked them to reduce my credit like to 2k, they told me they couldn't do it. WTF? I was pissed. So I'm carring a Card with a 15K limit, and my wifes card has a 20K limit, who needs that much? Its Crazy

Andoverer
09-14-2005, 09:50 AM
Mrs. Gaz and I put everything on a credit card. Groceries, gas, movie tickets. Everything. We pay off the balance every month, so there is no interest. We have kept our credit score high, so we get good offers for cards with lots of perks. It makes keeping track of finances easier, since all purchases are recorded in one spot.

In addition, we get cashback on purchases. In fact, we have [2] credit cards from the same company. When we reach the cashback limit on the first, we switch to the other.

As long as you are diligent, credit cards can be a useful tool in your financial toolbox. Fortunately, Money Grrl [AKA Mrs. Gaz] is VERY diligent. If I were in charge, it would probably be a serious money pit.

xoxo~
Gaz
Not allowed to wash laundry or balance the accounts.

The key word is diligent. That guy that handles crocodiles on his TV show is diligent too, but someday he's bound to get nipped badly. As for me and my household there will no longer be any more crocodiles aka credit cards allowed on the premises. What if, heaven forbid, Mrs. Gaz falls ill and it is left to you to be the keeper of the funds? You're too busy and worried tending to her needs to watch with the diligence needed to keep these snakes from biting you on the backside when your attention is elsewhere. I've been there with you all too. I've used credit and thought I was being smart about it, but really the safest bet always will be to save up and pay cash for a purchase. Admit it YOU KNOW THAT'S TRUE. Nobody ever got wealthy getting hotel points from a credit card company. They got wealthy by living on less than they earn which borrowing money will fly in the face of every time.

Gaz
09-14-2005, 09:58 AM
I do not live beyond my means. I simply use the credit card instead of a debit card or a check. It has the same net effect at the end of the month, except I have purchase protection, can buy stuff on-line and get cashback.

If you are not capable of being diligent, then you should not have a credit card. Agreed.

If Mrs. Gaz fell ill, I would have to wear dirty clothes. Augh!

xoxo~
Gaz
Using the credit card company for all they are worth.

The Bad Guy
09-14-2005, 10:04 AM
The key word is diligent. That guy that handles crocodiles on his TV show is diligent too, but someday he's bound to get nipped badly. As for me and my household there will no longer be any more crocodiles aka credit cards allowed on the premises. What if, heaven forbid, Mrs. Gaz falls ill and it is left to you to be the keeper of the funds? You're too busy and worried tending to her needs to watch with the diligence needed to keep these snakes from biting you on the backside when your attention is elsewhere. I've been there with you all too. I've used credit and thought I was being smart about it, but really the safest bet always will be to save up and pay cash for a purchase. Admit it YOU KNOW THAT'S TRUE. Nobody ever got wealthy getting hotel points from a credit card company. They got wealthy by living on less than they earn which borrowing money will fly in the face of every time.
We get it already - you don't like credit cards.

I've had a CC since I was 18, I learned a lesson about charging when you can't pay it off, now I pay off balances every month and I've never missed a payment.

You are taking it to the extreme with saying, "what if Mrs. Gaz falls ill"..well I'm sure CC's are the last thing on his mind if god forbid she does.

You have to use the credit card companies and not let them use you. That's the trick. Having zero % interest for a year is a godsend. It allowed me to purchase an engagement ring and pay it off when I could. It's allowed me to purchase things that I wouldn't have been able to and I never let the interest bite me in the ass because it takes just a few seconds for me to check my statement online and apply my payment and be done with it.

This post was about someone financing a trip with a CC, not a million situations where credit cards are going to screw a consumer.

Hoover
09-14-2005, 10:15 AM

I've had a CC since I was 18, I learned a lesson about charging when you can't pay it off, now I pay off balances every month and I've never missed a payment.

You are taking it to the extreme with saying, "what if Mrs. Gaz falls ill"..well I'm sure CC's are the last thing on his mind if god forbid she does.

You have to use the credit card companies and not let them use you. That's the trick. Having zero % interest for a year is a godsend. It allowed me to purchase an engagement ring and pay it off when I could. It's allowed me to purchase things that I wouldn't have been able to and I never let the interest bite me in the ass because it takes just a few seconds for me to check my statement online and apply my payment and be done with it.

This post was about someone financing a trip with a CC, not a million situations where credit cards are going to screw a consumer.
Good Post

I hate Credit Cards, but sometimes its stupid not to use them.

I have 3 things on 0% no payments for 2 years. My Washer and Dryer ($1500), My Home Computer ($600), and my Living Room Furtnature ($1800).

Please tell my why its not smart for me to do it this way. When my 2 years are up, I'll pay it off. Now I understand you have to pay it off during the 2 years else you get socked but c'mon.

Andoverer
09-14-2005, 10:18 AM

I hear what you're saying. Yes I'm ranting a bit. Sorry about that, but life will and does happen. However, it's not extreme to think someone essential to your household maintenance could become incapacitated. It happens every day to people everywhere. And you are correct about not letting credit card companies "use" you. But how much less risk would you deal with if you just save for it? No interest ever. No late fees ever. Seldom overspend. No monthly friggin payments. Plus you might even get a much better deal on some things paying cash. Wow what a lousy plan that is.