PDA

View Full Version : Flanagan: Mizzou AD "sends a zinger" at Missouri State

tk13
09-06-2005, 02:22 AM
From Jeffrey Flanagan's column in the Star today....

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/12568633.htm

Mike Alden, athletic director at Missouri, sent a zinger the way of Missouri State, the school formerly known as Southwest Missouri State.

During Alden’s radio show Monday, syndicated around the state and on KCSP in Kansas City, he said that ESPN’s reference Saturday to Missouri State as Mizzou State, though inadvertent, wasn’t going to be tolerated.

“Our hope is that they’ll get that corrected,” Alden said, “so that in the future they can refer to Missouri State as Missouri State, or Mo State, or whatever they may deem necessary. But certainly the name Mizzou only goes with the University of Missouri.

“It’s not affiliated with a I-AA football program down in Springfield, Mo. Mizzou is part of the Big 12 Conference. We ought to keep that name sacred. That’s what it’s all about.”

ENDelt260
09-06-2005, 02:28 AM
I don't really see that as a shot. I would assume that Mizzou is copyrighted. They have to protect that.

tk13
09-06-2005, 02:30 AM
There, is that better, master?

ENDelt260
09-06-2005, 02:34 AM
There, is that better, master?
Wasn't intended as a criticism of you. I don't view it as a zinger either. It's a simple statement of fact. Mizzou refers to the University of Missouri campus in Columbia. If it is, in fact, copyrighted they have to make effort to protect it to retain that copyright. It's just the nature of the law.

Just like Kleenex must make effort to make sure all facial tissues aren't referred to as Kleenex. Rollerblade doesn't want all inline skates referred to by their brand name. Nor does Coke want all carbonated sodas referred to by theirs. If your brand name becomes diluted and just a generic term you lose your legal right to it.

Dr. Chief
09-06-2005, 02:34 AM
I would think that the Missouri State AD would be just as pissed. I wouldn't want to be associated with the Mizzou choke artists.

ENDelt260
09-06-2005, 02:35 AM
Of course, a lawyer will do a better job of explaining that. I'm sure if one of our resident barristers sees my post he'll correct the various nuances I've flubbed.

tk13
09-06-2005, 02:37 AM
Wasn't intended as a criticism of you. I don't view it as a zinger either. It's a simple statement of fact. Mizzou refers to the University of Missouri campus in Columbia. If it is, in fact, copyrighted they have to make effort to protect it to retain that copyright. It's just the nature of the law.

Just like Kleenex must make effort to make sure all facial tissues aren't referred to as Kleenex. Rollerblade doesn't want all inline skates referred to by their brand name. Nor does Coke want all carbonated sodas referred to by theirs. If your brand name becomes diluted and just a generic term you lose your legal right to it.
:D I wasn't mad. Actually, I thought the same thing and originally put "sends zinger" in there, but thought that sounded silly and erased it and put "takes shot" in it's place. Didn't like that either really, but I thought it sounded better than zinger. I figured someone would call me on it.

KcMizzou
09-06-2005, 02:46 AM
Whatever. Clearly, ENDelt thinks Tk13's an asshole.

Who doesn't?

tk13
09-06-2005, 02:51 AM
Whatever. Clearly, ENDelt thinks Tk13's an asshole.

Who doesn't?
Hey, it's tk13. Quit improperly using my name, or I will have to sue you. If the capitalization doesn't fit, you must stop it. Thank you.

KcMizzou
09-06-2005, 02:54 AM
Hey, it's tk13. Quit improperly using my name, or I will have to sue you. If the capitalization doesn't fit, you must stop it. Thank you.:D

Nobody gives a shit about all those Royal's threads, loser. This is a Chiefs board!

Get off my lawn!

Logical
09-06-2005, 02:58 AM
:D

Nobody gives a shit about all those Royal's threads, loser. This is a Chiefs board!

Get off my lawn!Your probably about to hear from Mike Alden yourself buddy.

tk13
09-06-2005, 02:59 AM
:D

Get off my lawn!
I will, as soon as I'm done taking a big KcMizzou on it!

KcMizzou
09-06-2005, 03:07 AM
Your probably about to hear from Mike Alden yourself buddy. ROFL

Ummmm Mods.... KcMissouri, please?

(Sorry, Jim.... I'm slow.)

ENDelt260
09-06-2005, 03:09 AM
I will, as soon as I'm done taking a big KcMizzou on it!
Hey, now... Mizzou refers specifically to the large pile of fecal matter located in Columbia, Missouri.

ENDelt260
09-06-2005, 03:10 AM
Your probably about to hear from Mike Alden yourself buddy.
And, you're likely to hear from Rausch soon.

keg in kc
09-06-2005, 03:11 AM
Hey, now... Mizzou refers specifically to the large pile of fecal matter located in Columbia, Missouri.Technically speaking, a mizzou is a nice, solid pile, whereas a kcmizzou is a less firm, more runny mess.

ENDelt260
09-06-2005, 03:12 AM
Technically speaking, a mizzou is a nice, solid pile, whereas a kcmizzou is a less firm, more runny mess.
I'm going to have to defer to the expert on this matter.

KcMizzou
09-06-2005, 03:12 AM
Technically speaking, a mizzou is a nice, solid pile, whereas a kcmizzou is a less firm, more runny mess.
Wow. Ouch. Damn.

keg in kc
09-06-2005, 03:13 AM
I'm going to have to defer to the expert on this matter.I had two large dogs when I lived in misery. I became much more the expert than I ever wanted to be.

Logical
09-06-2005, 03:49 AM
And, you're likely to hear from Rausch soon.Ah shit too late now been quoted a couple of times already. FU Rausch your an English Nazi.nlm

Vlad taking the offensive.

jspchief
09-06-2005, 07:57 AM
In later news....

Missouri State offered to settle it on the football field like men, and Mizzou initially agreed. However, once Alden caught wind that Missouri State may be decent at football, he weasled out in favor of scheduling a high school team. Missouri is well known for pussing out of any tough games scheduled, in favor of cupcakes.

Alden was quoted as saying "“Unfortunately, It’s not affiliated with a I-AA football program down in Springfield, Mo. Mizzou is part of the Big 12 Conference, but we wish we weren't. We ought to slink down on our cowardly bellies and become a 1-AA team so our sh*tty program has a chance to win more than two games a year. That’s what it’s all about.”

F*ck Mizzou. They're a I-AA program posing as a Big 12 program anyway. He has a lot of nerve puffing his chest about it. 4321

Dartgod
09-06-2005, 08:04 AM
ROFL

Ummmm Mods.... KcMissouri, please?

(Sorry, Jim.... I'm slow.)
It would be better as KCMissouri State.

Mods?

ChiefsCountry
09-06-2005, 08:43 AM
Yeah, Missouri State doesn't want to be known as Mizzou State. It was ESPN that did that, not Missouri State.

Chief Henry
09-06-2005, 09:23 AM
Mizzou's Tiger AD should squat a freaking EGG.
He should have honored the contract the Mizzou
KITTENS had with the Iowa Hawkeyes. Last Saturday was the date Mizzou chicken'd out of the IOWA football game. Iowa resorted to game with
fricken Ball State. Iowa shoulda-coulda woulda
won by (anyscore) over Ball State with a full squad.
But Ball State Left 13 players/7 starters at home.
By halftime, Iowa was up 49-0.

The Mizzou chicken squawks played ooouuuuuu
Arkansas State, Oooooouuuuuuu how scarry
is Arkansas State Mizzou.

Mizzou and Iowa should be playing football every year. It would be a sell out for both schools
yearly.

Just remember Mizzou Tigers/Kitten fans, if you end up with a winning season by one game, it won't mean squat.

Bowser
09-06-2005, 09:58 AM
Now that's something I'll agree with. Mizzou should have a rotating schedule for all border states year-by-year - Iowa, Illinois, Kentucky, and Arkansas. Maybe even a Tennesee every now and again.

Hey bitterman (jsp ROFL ), did Mizzou ever give any kind of plausible explanation as to why they backed out of the game? Or did they just view Arkansas State as a bigger challenge?

:Poke:

Saulbadguy
09-06-2005, 10:04 AM
Hahahaha.

jspchief
09-06-2005, 10:12 AM
Now that's something I'll agree with. Mizzou should have a rotating schedule for all border states year-by-year - Iowa, Illinois, Kentucky, and Arkansas. Maybe even a Tennesee every now and again.

Hey bitterman (jsp ROFL ), did Mizzou ever give any kind of plausible explanation as to why they backed out of the game? Or did they just view Arkansas State as a bigger challenge?

:Poke:According to reports, the Mizzou players were concerned about get their labias bruised by facing a quality team like Iowa. They agreed to play them when Iowa was in the gutter, and once they realized that they were going to get their teeth kicked in, they chose to play a cupcake instead.

Bowser
09-06-2005, 10:13 AM
According to reports, the Mizzou players were concerned about get their labias bruised by facing a quality team like Iowa. They agreed to play them when Iowa was in the gutter, and once they realized that they were going to get their teeth kicked in, they chose to play a cupcake instead.

Fair enough. ROFL

Ari Chi3fs
09-06-2005, 11:09 AM
Sweet. University of Missouri and Mizzou State will have a rivalry soon. Beautiful.

Oxford
09-06-2005, 12:08 PM
From Jeffrey Flanagan's column in the Star today....

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/12568633.htm

I don't think Bill Rowe (the AD at MSU) wants to be associated with the stench rolling out from the NCAA rules violations that seem so prevalent at Mizzou.

If they want to play a I-AA team in football, we'll play them as long as we get home and home in Mens and Womens basketball (I-A). But, I think that won't be happening. Too much chance of losing for good old Mizzou.

Chief Henry
09-06-2005, 12:44 PM
Mizzou played at Arrowhead and yet less than 33,000 people attended this game. How many IOWA Fans would have flocked to Arrowhead
for an IOWA vs Missouri football game...?

Answer is more than 33,000. Readem and weap
poor Missouri AD Dept.

KC Kings
09-06-2005, 12:46 PM
I don't think Bill Rowe (the AD at MSU) wants to be associated with the stench rolling out from the NCAA rules violations that seem so prevalent at Mizzou.

If they want to play a I-AA team in football, we'll play them as long as we get home and home in Mens and Womens basketball (I-A). But, I think that won't be happening. Too much chance of losing for good old Mizzou.

There is a lot of good trash talk in this thread, and then there is some just plain trash as you can read above. Anybody who thinks that SMS would stand half a chance is truly dillusional. I do hope that Missouri State continues to grow and that someday they will play each other. I always wondered how cool it would be if Kansas St didn't suck at basketball or if KU didn't suck at football, and those two teams could be big rivals being so close to each other and in the same state.

I don't think the Iowa guys are saying anything on here that Mizzou fans don't agree with. Mizzou has sold how many home games in a row, yet Arrowhead was over half empty on Saturday? I am a Mizzou fan in KC and like many others did not get up at 7am on a holiday weekend to go see them play a scrub team. Had it been a good match up the likes of Iowa or Troy, I would have been there

Halfcan
09-06-2005, 12:56 PM
I went to CMSU-Central Mizzou State University. Oh no-he said it won't be tolerated-Dang I am going to get sued now.

I guess I should give all my bootleg Mizzou State shirts to charity.

ChiefsCountry
09-06-2005, 04:06 PM
There is a lot of good trash talk in this thread, and then there is some just plain trash as you can read above. Anybody who thinks that SMS would stand half a chance is truly dillusional. I do hope that Missouri State continues to grow and that someday they will play each other.

In football, nope not a chance but in hoops yeah they would have a chance.

Last time they played.
http://archive.columbiatribune.com/1998/nov/19981119spor01.htm

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a48/MoState417/smsbeatsmizzu.jpg

Women's bb it isn't even close.

Saulbadguy
09-06-2005, 04:12 PM
In football, nope not a chance but in hoops yeah they would have a chance.

Last time they played.
http://archive.columbiatribune.com/1998/nov/19981119spor01.htm

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a48/MoState417/smsbeatsmizzu.jpg

Women's bb it isn't even close.
I think the MU men would beat the MSU men right now. Womens BB, MSU would beat the MU women. Baseball would be interesting. A couple years ago MSU would have beaten MU on a regular basis.

ChiefsCountry
09-06-2005, 04:19 PM
I think the MU men would beat the MSU men right now. Womens BB, MSU would beat the MU women. Baseball would be interesting. A couple years ago MSU would have beaten MU on a regular basis.

I dont know about men's hoops. MSU was on the bubble last year for the NCAA. It would be a really good game between the two. Baseball, we swept MU but it would be nice to have a weekend series between the two, best pitchers vs best pitchers.

|Zach|
09-06-2005, 04:20 PM
They are pretty well matched in baseball. I remember SMS beat them once because I remember sending an email out to my buddies and mentioning it but they may have played multiple times.

Last years was a down year for the baseball team.

ChiefsCountry
09-06-2005, 04:32 PM
They are pretty well matched in baseball. I remember SMS beat them once because I remember sending an email out to my buddies and mentioning it but they may have played multiple times.

Last years was a down year for the baseball team.

Last year's results-
http://www.missouristatebears.com/webapps/release?id=2306

http://www.missouristatebears.com/webapps/release?id=2328

Oxford
09-06-2005, 06:17 PM
There is a lot of good trash talk in this thread, and then there is some just plain trash as you can read above. Anybody who thinks that SMS would stand half a chance is truly dillusional.

My comments are rarely trash, but I was not clear in my comment that YES, MSU would get killed by MU in Football. But, MSU (or SMS if you are a Mizzou alum) plays at I-A in everything but football. In addition MU schedules Arkansas State University in football and they are only 2 years out of I-AA. A cupcake they should (and did) kill. But, if you want to schedule cupcakes then why not schedule an in-state cupcake?

The home&home comment goes back to Norm Stewart. He was asked about playing the in-state schools in Basketball. He stated "they can come here all they want." This is the prevailing attitude at MU, our fecal matter doesn't stink. That attitude carried out to a filibuster in the state legislature over a name change of all things.

By the way, MSU got steamrollered by Arkansas (49-17).