PDA

View Full Version : Professor Belichick at the Podium

Amnorix
09-06-2005, 09:55 AM
As long as you're not asking specific questions about his current team and their strategies and plans, BB can be a font of information.

In this press conference, he reels off info on the Raiders, the threat their offense poses, what makes Moss so good, a comparison of Moss and Owens, what it means to be an "explosive" player, how leverage rules all in the trenches, and even throws a bouquet at Anthony Munoz.

I figured some might find it interesting, so without further ado.

http://www.patriots.com/mediacenter/index.cfm?ac=audionewsdetail&pid=12718&pcid=85

Lzen
09-06-2005, 10:08 AM
Screw you, Patriots and BB! 4321

Oh, and go whip the crap outta da Raiduhs. :D

RedDread
09-06-2005, 10:11 AM
yes, I am very much looking for a primetime ASS WHUPPING OF EPIC PROPORTIONS against the Raiders on Thursday.....

I can't believe the NFL is only 2 days away :rockon: :rockon:

Bowser
09-06-2005, 10:12 AM
How exactly did Belichick attain "Coaching Icon" status? I remember him in Cleveland when he used to platoon Vinny Testaverde and Mark Rypien at QB. The three SB wins in 4 years speaks for itself, I'm just wondering what happened that he got it right? Was it the coaching staff around him, the players he brought in, or both?

jspchief
09-06-2005, 10:13 AM
Tune in next week for another Zen moment from Bill Belichick, Football God.

Amnorix
09-06-2005, 11:07 AM
How exactly did Belichick attain "Coaching Icon" status? I remember him in Cleveland when he used to platoon Vinny Testaverde and Mark Rypien at QB. The three SB wins in 4 years speaks for itself, I'm just wondering what happened that he got it right? Was it the coaching staff around him, the players he brought in, or both?

In general:

1. He learned from his mistakes. He was a very young head coach at Cleveland (like 38?).

2. Delegation!! He tried to do it all at Cleveland, and learned you can't.

3. Scott Pioli, his acknowledged best friend and co-genius in the Patriots heirarchy, was someone BB brought in at Cleveland, but back then, he couldn't really help as much. With us, Pioli and BB have some kind of Vulcan mind-meld going when it comes to identifying players to draft/sign, and Pioli takes ALOT of the load off BB.

4. Brady. Let's face it, we lucked into him in taking him in the 6th round, and the dude doesn't suck.

5. I honestly think BB was NOT going to be a complete failure with the Browns. They had steadily improved, and in BB's fourth year were 11-5 with a playoff win. In year 5, however, when the team is something like 3-1, Modell announces they're leaving the city, and everything completely implodes. Game over.

Here, he has everything he wants and needs. A hands-off owner who has plenty of $$ resources and gives him whatever he wants. Pioli, who serves as BB's sounding board and can help him with all personnel stuff. He's also matured and gotten alot wiser about press relations, handling players, and knowing his own limitations.

ptlyon
09-06-2005, 11:18 AM
"Tuck Rule"

Stinger
09-06-2005, 11:19 AM
"Tuck Rule"

Who let RR back on the board? :p :D

Amnorix
09-06-2005, 11:25 AM
"Tuck Rule"

That is a good rule, isn't it? One of my personal favorites, actually.

vailpass
09-06-2005, 12:24 PM
It will be good to see the Pats go down this year.

Amnorix
09-06-2005, 12:29 PM
It will be good to see the Pats go down this year.

:shrug: I personally am predicting a return to the playoffs, but no SB visit for them this year. The schedule is BRUTAL and we've had alot of adjustmetns to make this off-season.

But I would hardly be shcoked if we took the prize again, and I think we will return to being an extremely serious threat in 2006.

tiptap
09-06-2005, 12:53 PM
I like Vermeil and I think he understand the offensive side of the ball really well. I think he has a good idea about ST play and he is knowledgeable enough about defense. But I think he and his staff have not been good in making game adjustments and in finding those little things in a game that can make a big difference. He is not the field general that I see in other successful coaches. He seems a little behind in adjusting play when things are not going as planned. Belichick seems to be more adaptable to situations. It does very little good to not recognize the skills that has gone along with the luck to be winning SB over the last 5 years.

Amnorix
09-06-2005, 01:13 PM
I like Vermeil and I think he understand the offensive side of the ball really well. I think he has a good idea about ST play and he is knowledgeable enough about defense. But I think he and his staff have not been good in making game adjustments and in finding those little things in a game that can make a big difference. He is not the field general that I see in other successful coaches. He seems a little behind in adjusting play when things are not going as planned. Belichick seems to be more adaptable to situations. It does very little good to not recognize the skills that has gone along with the luck to be winning SB over the last 5 years.

FWIW, the Patriots typically excel in the 3rd quarter. BB and his staff are excellent at in-game adjustments, from what I can tell as a casual fan.

Hoover
09-06-2005, 01:30 PM
If BB took a crap in the woods and Amnorix was there, I think he would eat BB poo

Amnorix
09-06-2005, 01:56 PM
If BB took a crap in the woods and Amnorix was there, I think he would eat BB poo

Nah, but I would take the shirt off my back and offer it to him to wipe with, if he didn't have any TP...

AND YOU WOULD TOO IF YOUR HC WON 3 OUTTA 4 SBs!!!

:p :LOL: PBJ PBJ PBJ

keg in kc
09-06-2005, 01:59 PM
I had a hard time deciding who to root against thursday, but...it's the raiders. The goddamn raiders. I can root for NE for one day. I think. Maybe.

Amnorix
09-06-2005, 02:02 PM
I had a hard time deciding who to root against thursday, but...it's the raiders. The goddamn raiders. I can root for NE for one day. I think. Maybe.

Congrats, and welcome to the bandwagon. We appreciate your loving support.

:LOL:

keg in kc
09-06-2005, 02:04 PM
If all that stuff hadn't gone on in New Orleans, I'd probably be rooting for a natural disaster, with the earth opening up under both teams. But that would be tactless now. And everybody knows I'm the veritable bastion of tact.

BigChiefFan
09-06-2005, 03:58 PM
Two Words: Tom Brady

Bob Dole
09-06-2005, 03:59 PM
If all that stuff hadn't gone on in New Orleans, I'd probably be rooting for a natural disaster, with the earth opening up under both teams. But that would be tactless now. And everybody knows I'm the veritable bastion of tact.

Tact is over rated.

Bowser
09-06-2005, 04:07 PM
Two Words: Tom Brady

AND Scott Pioli.

Amnorix answered my question.I forgot all about Pioli.

Bob Dole
09-06-2005, 04:09 PM
The burning question is:

Was he <i>on</i> a podium or <i>at</i> a lectern, or both?

(And FWIW, podiums and lecterns are both over rated.)