PDA

View Full Version : Thank God! Bush is going to lead investigation into his own administration!

jAZ
09-06-2005, 10:06 AM
If anyone else where tapped to lead this investigation into FEMA's total collapse in response to this Emergency, I'd be concerned that the outcome would be objective.

But with Bush himself leading the investigation, I'm sure every stone will be turned, every head will roll and every necessary change will be made with full accountability all the way to the top!

Thank God for George W. Bush!

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2005/09/06/national/w083222D53.DTL

Bush Says He'll Find Out What Went Wrong
- By WILL LESTER, Associated Press Writer
Tuesday, September 6, 2005

(09-06) 08:49 PDT WASHINGTON (AP) --

Buffeted by criticism over the federal response to Hurricane Katrina, President Bush said Tuesday he will oversee an investigation into what went wrong and why — in part to be sure the country could withstand more storms or attack.

Bush also announced he is sending Vice President Dick Cheney to the Gulf Coast region on Thursday to help determine whether the government is doing all that it can.

"Bureaucracy is not going to stand in the way of getting the job done for the people," the president said after a meeting at the White House with his Cabinet on storm recovery efforts.

"What I intend to do is lead an investigation to find out what went right and what went wrong," Bush said. "We still live in an unsettled world. We want to make sure we can respond properly if there is a WMD (weapons of mass destruction) attack or another major storm."

But Bush said now is not the time to point fingers and he did not respond to calls for a commission to investigate the response.

"One of the things people want us to do here is play the blame game," he said. "We got to solve problems. There will be ample time to figure out what went right and what went wrong."

Bush was devoting most of his day to the recovery effort. After the Cabinet meeting, he was gathering with the congressional leaders, representatives of charitable organizations and with Education Secretary Margaret Spellings to talk about assistance for displaced students and closed schools.

McClellan said the president also was increasing what he described as a sizable personal contribution to the Red Cross and also was sending money to the Salvation Army.

Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist, R-Tenn., had told reporters Monday that the Homeland Security Committee would convene hearings as Congress returns this week to examine the "weaknesses and strengths" of the federal response and to "apply the lessons learned."

There has been heavy criticism of the government's response to the hurricane, and city and state officials, Republicans and Democrats have assailed the Federal Emergency Management Agency led by Michael Brown. Bush, during an inspection tour of the devastated region last Friday, praised Brown, telling him, "Brownie, you're doing a heck of a job."

Bush did not respond directly when asked if anyone on his disaster response team should be replaced.

The president said that he and his Cabinet members were focused on planning in several areas of immediate need — restoring basic services to affected areas, draining the water from New Orleans, removing debris, assessing public health and safety threats and housing for those displaced by the storm. "Most importantly," Bush said, officials are trying to figure out how to get Social Security checks to people now scattered across the country in private homes, churches and other shelters.

"This administration is not going to rest until every life is saved, until every family is reconnected, until the recovery is complete," he said.

Earlier, White House spokesman Scott McClellan rejected suggestions that the poor, and particularly blacks, had been abandoned when New Orleans was evacuated.

"I think most Americans dismiss that and know that there's just no basis for making such suggestions," McClellan said. "We are focused on saving and sustaining lives of all those who have been affected."

Bush returned to the Gulf Coast on Monday, visiting Baton Rouge and Poplarville, Miss., on his third inspection tour, the second by ground.

During a stop at Bethany World Prayer Center, several people ran up to meet Bush and first lady Laura Bush. But many hung back and looked on.

"I need answers," said Mildred Brown, who has been at the center since Tuesday with her husband, mother-in-law and cousin. "I'm not interested in handshaking. I'm not interested in photo ops."

State as well as federal officials are facing public criticism for a slow response to the crisis. Behind the scenes, each suggests the other is to blame. But Bush would not repeat top federal officials' criticism of the early communication from the region.

The tension was evident when the president and the Louisiana governor appeared together in Baton Rouge on Monday.

The governor, Kathleen Blanco, had to cancel a planned trip to Houston to visit evacuees after learning at the last minute that Bush planned a visit to Baton Rouge. She has turned to a Clinton administration official, former Federal Emergency Management Agency chief James Lee Witt, to help run relief efforts.

After addressing relief workers Monday, the president seemed to choke up, nodded at Blanco and kissed her on the cheek. She nodded back and both left the podium.

Blanco later played down reports of differences with Bush. "We'd like to stop the voices out there trying to create a divide," she said. "We're all in this together."

Dr. Facebook Fever
09-06-2005, 10:09 AM
George Bush is there for us.

Mr. Laz
09-06-2005, 10:12 AM
the man can't even spell investigation

jspchief
09-06-2005, 10:14 AM
What the hell? Shouldn't he be spending his time posing with guitars to give the nutjobs internet fodder?

How is it that he's the boss and ultimately responsible, yet he's not qualified to look into those that he's supposedly responsible for?

Braincase
09-06-2005, 10:15 AM
The best part is that if there is an impeachment, he'll be real tight with the Chief Justice...

StcChief
09-06-2005, 10:16 AM
This is called a post mordem in project terms.

Everyone will be watching, I expect a full report when it's all said and done.

Mr. Laz
09-06-2005, 10:17 AM
How is it that he's the boss and ultimately responsible, yet he's not qualified to look into those that he's supposedly responsible for?
selective responsibility??? :shrug:

the Talking Can
09-06-2005, 10:41 AM
wow....WMD's redux....word for word

Bush claims he wants to find out who's responsible...as if the the President wasn't the obvious answer...

more white wash....more lies...been there, done that....cue Patteau to tell us nothing was wrong in the first place

Mr. Laz
09-06-2005, 11:01 AM
isn't Bush a little late in deciding to "oversee" the New Orleans situation?

Adept Havelock
09-06-2005, 11:13 AM
Oy. Now I remember why I believe in the seperation of powers, and almost always vote to keep a balance in the House and Senate.

Neither party can be trusted with the cooky jar.

Chiefnj
09-06-2005, 11:27 AM
isn't Bush a little late in deciding to "oversee" the New Orleans situation?

You're being harsh. He was on vacation. Plus, he wants to sit on Trent Lott's new front porch; he'll get the job done and be sipping away on a Pabst blue ribbon and choking on pretzels in no time.

Goapics1
09-06-2005, 11:29 AM
Pabst blue ribbon
Do they make that stuff still? I haven't had one of those for quite some time.

StcChief
09-06-2005, 11:32 AM
Do they make that stuff still? I haven't had one of those for quite some time.
They have it on draft.

It's the new thing to drink....WTF

As we called in college. Past Blue Armpit

Told a barmaid that, she laughed her head off.

memyselfI
09-06-2005, 11:52 AM
ROFL ROFL ROFL

This sounds so much like OJ searching for Nicole's killer. ROFL

go bowe
09-06-2005, 11:55 AM
If anyone else where tapped to lead this investigation into FEMA's total collapse in response to this Emergency, I'd be concerned that the outcome would be objective.

But with Bush himself leading the investigation, I'm sure every stone will be turned, every head will roll and every necessary change will be made with full accountability all the way to the top!

Thank God for George W. Bush!

* * * i dunno...

i've been thinking about this and i'm not so sure fema collapsed at all...

more like overwhelmed...

they'd never had to deal with the evacuation of a major city that was begun too late and didn't include those unable to leave on their own...

fema is not responsible for those actions which are exactly what made the situation much worse by the time fema was finally called in...

plus the sheer scale of the devastation was enough to overwhelm any existing response organization...

no, i think fema did the best that it could under some very challenging circumstances...

the law needs to be changed to allow fema to act when a catastrophe like this is likely and to allow/require the movement of sufficient military assets to accomplish evacuations and search and rescue operations (along side the coast guard and other agencies with helicopters) immediately after the event, and not 5 or 6 days later...

in disasters of this magnitude, involving a major city, the federal response needs to be immediate...

and that requires fema to at least oversee state and local efforts, if not actually perform evacuation and rescue operations itself, and to be able to "command" the military to pre-position whatever assets are likely to be needed for the pending disaster (including large numbers of vehicles and helicopters to evacuate and rescue)...

go bowe
09-06-2005, 12:04 PM
What the hell? Shouldn't he be spending his time posing with guitars to give the nutjobs internet fodder?

How is it that he's the boss and ultimately responsible, yet he's not qualified to look into those that he's supposedly responsible for?i don't think the president is responsible at all for whatever failures may have occurred with fema and state and local governments...

those organizations are supposed to be prepared to deal with any (ordinary) disaster situation...

and the entire federal response, not just fema, should be examined to see where it can be improved, at all levels...

however, i do see the point made by the president's critics that his inaction during the first few critical days and his lack of personal intervention to insure a rapid response may well have compounded the problems in new orleans...

my particular beef is with the military not getting forces ready to move in as soon as possible (like same day or next day at the latest) to assist evacuations (before the disaster) and rescues, under fema's coordination...

of course, that has never been done before, but it looks like it needs to be set up for the next major disaster involving a city with a large population to deal with...

the Talking Can
09-06-2005, 12:06 PM
the law needs to be changed to allow fema to act when a catastrophe like this is likely and to allow/require the movement of sufficient military assets to accomplish evacuations and search and rescue operations (along side the coast guard and other agencies with helicopters) immediately after the event, and not 5 or 6 days later...

in disasters of this magnitude, involving a major city, the federal response needs to be immediate...

and that requires fema to at least oversee state and local efforts, if not actually perform evacuation and rescue operations itself, and to be able to "command" the military to pre-position whatever assets are likely to be needed for the pending disaster (including large numbers of vehicles and helicopters to evacuate and rescue)...

FEMA already has this authority, as well as the President....it is outlined in the National Response Plan...a pdf of which is located on the website of the Department of Homeland Security.

I explain this in greater detail on the thread started by williamtheirish...the notion that Bush's hands were tied is a myth...he blew it, plain and simple

go bowe
09-06-2005, 12:10 PM
ROFL ROFL ROFL

This sounds so much like OJ searching for Nicole's killer. ROFLi don't think so at all...

oj was guilty of a double murder...

reasonable people can disagree as to whether the president is responsible for fema being overwhelmed by the sheer enormity of the disaster and the crucial mistakes made be the state and local officials...

and there's some reasonable doubt as to whether he could have affected the outcome if he had become personally involved sooner rather than too later...

there was no reasonable doubt concerning oj...

the dna evidence was pretty much conclusive in my view...

memyselfI
09-06-2005, 12:13 PM
i don't think so at all...

oj was guilty of a double murder...

reasonable people can disagree as to whether the president is responsible for fema being overwhelmed by the sheer enormity of the disaster and the crucial mistakes made be the state and local officials...

and there's some reasonable doubt as to whether he could have affected the outcome if he had become personally involved sooner rather than too later...

there was no reasonable doubt concerning oj...

the dna evidence was pretty much conclusive in my view...

I agree OJ was guilty. My point is OJ investigating himself...like he is going to be an objective source for an investigation of himself. DUHbya is now doing this same thing. ROFL

the Talking Can
09-06-2005, 12:18 PM
i don't think the president is responsible at all for whatever failures may have occurred with fema and state and local governments...

those organizations are supposed to be prepared to deal with any (ordinary) disaster situation...

and the entire federal response, not just fema, should be examined to see where it can be improved, at all levels...

however, i do see the point made by the president's critics that his inaction during the first few critical days and his lack of personal intervention to insure a rapid response may well have compounded the problems in new orleans...

my particular beef is with the military not getting forces ready to move in as soon as possible (like same day or next day at the latest) to assist evacuations (before the disaster) and rescues, under fema's coordination...

of course, that has never been done before, but it looks like it needs to be set up for the next major disaster involving a city with a large population to deal with...

from the NRP

"Standard procedures regarding requests for assistance may be expedited, or under extreme circumstances, suspended in the immediate aftermath of an event of catastrophic magnitude." (NRP, 44)

Chiefnj
09-06-2005, 12:24 PM
from the NRP

"Standard procedures regarding requests for assistance may be expedited, or under extreme circumstances, suspended in the immediate aftermath of an event of catastrophic magnitude." (NRP, 44)

The man isn't that great under pressure when the country is in the midst of a disaster. He's good at finishing what he started - vacation, a book about My Pet Goat.

go bowe
09-06-2005, 12:26 PM
FEMA already has this authority, as well as the President....it is outlined in the National Response Plan...a pdf of which is located on the website of the Department of Homeland Security.

I explain this in greater detail on the thread started by williamtheirish...the notion that Bush's hands were tied is a myth...he blew it, plain and simplethanks, i'll go and check that out...

Radar Chief
09-06-2005, 12:41 PM

I explain this in greater detail on the thread started by williamtheirish...the notion that Bush's hands were tied is a myth...he blew it, plain and simple

Neither were the mayors, or the governors for that matter. :shrug:
Yet your only try’n to blame one of the three. :hmmm:

Dr. Facebook Fever
09-06-2005, 12:44 PM
he'll be choking on pretzels in no time.
promise?

Mr. Laz
09-06-2005, 12:54 PM
Neither were the mayors, or the governors for that matter. :shrug:
Yet your only try’n to blame one of the three. :hmmm:
i don't recall anyone saying that the mayors or the governors should go without blame.

there's plenty of blame to go around .... all the way to the top

Amnorix
09-06-2005, 12:58 PM
He could start by firing the partisan hack he appointed to FEMA and replacing him with a professional who knows something about, oh, I dunno, EMERGENCY RESPONSE STUFF...

:shake: :banghead:

Mr. Laz
09-06-2005, 01:03 PM
He could start by firing the partisan hack he appointed to FEMA and replacing him with a professional who knows something about, oh, I dunno, EMERGENCY RESPONSE STUFF...

:shake: :banghead:

yup

memyselfI
09-06-2005, 01:47 PM
i don't recall anyone saying that the mayors or the governors should go without blame.

Yes, there is. But like I said before, once this would impact the NATION'S ECONOMY, the NATION'S SECURITY, and the NATION'S local economies it ceased to be the Mayor or Governor's problem and became the President's and Fed. gov.

One could argue that the misstep of the state and local government was BEFORE the hurricane hit and levies broke. But clearly, after the hurricane had passed and it was clear this was a major catastrophe then it was the FEDS who were in charge and should be held accountable.

Radar Chief
09-06-2005, 01:47 PM

I don’t recall anyone claiming the presidents “hands were tied” either, though I’ll admit I haven’t read all the responses. :shrug:

Agreed, I’m just point’n out the others responsible, since they’ve apparently been forgotten. ;)

Mr. Laz
09-06-2005, 01:52 PM
I don’t recall anyone claiming the presidents “hands were tied” either, though I’ll admit I haven’t read all the responses. :shrug:

Agreed, I’m just point’n out the others responsible, since they’ve apparently been forgotten. ;)
maybe because the president's hands shouldn't ever really be tied when it comes to things that happen within the U.S. borders.

he is DA MAN and only congress can really tie his hands. Consider the senate and congress are both Republicans, i don't see any real hang tying going on.

not forgotten by me ... no way the head of FEMA should keep his job.

the state leaders are history next vote too, i'm sure.

Radar Chief
09-06-2005, 01:54 PM
Yes, there is. But like I said before, once this would impact the NATION'S ECONOMY, the NATION'S SECURITY, and the NATION'S local economies it ceased to be the Mayor or Governor's problem and became the President's and Fed. gov.

One could argue that the misstep of the state and local government was BEFORE the hurricane hit and levies broke. But clearly, after the hurricane had passed and it was clear this was a major catastrophe then it was the FEDS who were in charge and should be held accountable.

So the mayor and governors mistakes are exonerated in favor of going after the president? Got’cha. Wouldn’t be because they’re Dems would it? :hmmm:

Mr. Laz
09-06-2005, 01:58 PM
So the mayor and governors mistakes are exonerated in favor of going after the president? Got’cha. Wouldn’t be because they’re Dems would it? :hmmm:
didn't even know they WERE Dems

maybe if you repugnants weren't so determine to defend bush for EVERYTHING irregardless of the situation, people would be talking more even-handed about the situation.

but defending bush completely brings more arguements and attacks.

Radar Chief
09-06-2005, 01:59 PM
maybe because the president's hands shouldn't ever really be tied when it comes to things that happen within the U.S. borders.

he is DA MAN and only congress can really tie his hands. Consider the senate and congress are both Republicans, i don't see any real hang tying going on.

Again, who is say’n the presidents “hands were tied”? :shrug:

not forgotten by me ... no way the head of FEMA should keep his job.

Agreed. :toast:

the state leaders are history next vote too, i'm sure.

We’ll see, right now they’re doing a pretty good job of displacing blame. Even have the media and their “sheeple” bleating their case. ;)

go bowe
09-06-2005, 02:02 PM
from the NRP

"Standard procedures regarding requests for assistance may be expedited, or under extreme circumstances, suspended in the immediate aftermath of an event of catastrophic magnitude." (NRP, 44)i'm not sure exactly what part of my post you are responding to here, but i'll guess it was this part:

as far as i can tell, all the proper procedures were followed, fema did act proactively pursuant to the president's declaration of emergency well before the storm hit, and the military had it's task force command in place...

whether or not all the necessary procedures and directives were in fact followed, doesn't seem like an issue to me anymore (thanks to the nrp cite you provided)...

my complaint is the gross underestimation by fema and general honore of what would be needed to deal with the likely disaster...

imo, all the military assets now being mobilzed should have been prepared to move to new oleans so they could arrive within 24 hours of the storm, if not sooner...

memyselfI
09-06-2005, 02:04 PM

No, it would be because this hurricane crossed state lines...thereby making it a FEDERAL ISSUE. Just like a crime.

Radar Chief
09-06-2005, 02:05 PM
didn't even know they WERE Dems

That was a :Poke: at Denise.

maybe if you repugnants weren't so determine to defend bush for EVERYTHING irregardless of the situation, people would be talking more even-handed about the situation.

but defending bush completely brings more arguements and attacks.

You’re projecting, where did I “defend Bush”? I haven’t, I’m just point’n out what others apparently want to ignore.

Radar Chief
09-06-2005, 02:07 PM
No, it would be because this hurricane crossed state lines...thereby making it a FEDERAL ISSUE. Just like a crime.

And this means the mayor and governor should be exonerated of any blame? :spock:

go bowe
09-06-2005, 02:10 PM
No, it would be because this hurricane crossed state lines...thereby making it a FEDERAL ISSUE. Just like a crime.ok, i don't care who you are, that there is funny... ROFL ROFL ROFL

somehow the concept of a hurricane being a federal issue only if it crosses state linesjust strikes me as funny...

so does the mental image of such a criminal...

i wonder, would it wear one of those masks that look like racoon's eyes?

Mr. Laz
09-06-2005, 02:20 PM
You’re projecting, where did I “defend Bush”? I haven’t, I’m just point’n out what others apparently want to ignore.
passive aggressive defending of Bush

and talk about projecting

you say everyone is saying that state official are free of blame with i haven't seen ANYONE say any such thing.

it's been said over and over again by most I've seen that many people are to blame. The response to this statement is usually a republican screaming at the top of their lungs "how can you blame bush!!"

many people to blame = no direct mentioning or singling out of bush

how can you blame bush = projection/hyper defensive partisanship

it doesn't matter how many times you say "many people to blame" unless you specifically exclude Bush ... you have a rightie battle on your hands.

|Zach|
09-06-2005, 02:52 PM
That was a :Poke: at Denise.

Everything is around here...

How is it so much of that can go on and then people can try and convince us they want her gone.

I love it.

Radar Chief
09-06-2005, 03:00 PM
passive aggressive defending of Bush

and talk about projecting

you say everyone is saying that state official are free of blame with i haven't seen ANYONE say any such thing.

So Denise attempt’n to place all blame on Bush isn’t “passive aggressively” exonerating the mayor and governor? :shrug:

it's been said over and over again by most I've seen that many people are to blame. The response to this statement is usually a republican screaming at the top of their lungs "how can you blame bush!!"

many people to blame = no direct mentioning or singling out of bush

how can you blame bush = projection/hyper defensive partisanship

it doesn't matter how many times you say "many people to blame" unless you specifically exclude Bush ... you have a rightie battle on your hands.

Please quote where I posted “how can you blame Bush”. If you can’t then you have to admit your attempting to “broad brush” me in with those other’s you’re disagreeing with.

Radar Chief
09-06-2005, 03:08 PM

How is it so much of that can go on and then people can try and convince us they want her gone.

I love it.

Not me. :shrug:

memyselfI
09-06-2005, 03:16 PM
ok, i don't care who you are, that there is funny... ROFL ROFL ROFL

somehow the concept of a hurricane being a federal issue only if it crosses state linesjust strikes me as funny...

Ah, there was no 'only' in there. My point was this hurricane impacted many states and, as I've pointed out a couple of times before, our, as in THE NATION'S, ecomony and our, as in the NATION'S, security. That makes it a federal issue.

memyselfI
09-06-2005, 03:17 PM
So Denise attempt’n to place all blame on Bush isn’t “passive aggressively” exonerating the mayor and governor? :shrug:

Please quote where I posted “how can you blame Bush”. If you can’t then you have to admit your attempting to “broad brush” me in with those other’s you’re disagreeing with.

Nope, because if you have read my responses, especially the one where I laid out the blame to each entity, then you would know that I do hold the Mayor and Gov. responsible for their part in this.

SBK
09-06-2005, 03:20 PM
ok, i don't care who you are, that there is funny... ROFL ROFL ROFL

All I can picture is a satellite image of a hurricane, with black bandit things over the eye. Kinda like the old movie bandits. ROFL

memyselfI
09-06-2005, 03:24 PM

I love it.

So, you noticed that too, eh? Like I said before, anyone who voted in the poll to ban and then continues to post in response to me is a hypocrite with a capital "H."

Funny thing is, I've seen a few of them on the list do it and it just makes me :) and ROFL . Poor things can't help themselves... ROFL

Radar Chief
09-06-2005, 03:25 PM
Nope, because if you have read my responses, especially the one where I laid out the blame to each entity, then you would know that I do hold the Mayor and Gov. responsible for their part in this.

Did a quick scan of all posts on this topic and I don’t see you doing anything but attempting to skip over all other concerned parties to get after the prez.
I take it this revelation is on a different topic? :shrug:

memyselfI
09-06-2005, 03:31 PM
Did a quick scan of all posts on this topic and I don’t see you doing anything but attempting to skip over all other concerned parties to get after the prez.
I take it this revelation is on a different topic? :shrug:

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?p=2669306#post2669306

Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Post #118

memyselfI
Chiefsplanet's Peace Mom

Here is the breakdown as I see it:

On Blanco: because she would not reliquish control of the National Guard because she was 1. afraid of the politicizing of the situation and 2. because she believed that if she did that would mean that her NG troops would not have police jurisdiction and she needed the security apparatus in case of the worst. In the case of number 2 she was correct in doing so because as it turned out she needed those folks for policing. I understand the problem was then that the WH then wanted to let her sink or swim on her own. She should have known these assholes would play hardball and as such she played right into their hands and will end up being a, if not THE, fall guy. The WH will try to blame her for this but her letter of 8/26 clearly shows she tried to get their help and for some reason it became a political football even before the hurricane hit.

On Nagin: He made a huge error in his calm and nonchalant demeanor the night the levies had broken. I recall stating how eerily out of touch his demeanor seemed. He was on TV reassuring everyone the city had things under control and clearly he had no idea that they wouldn't or couldn't. Chertoff referred to the Mayor's demeanor and the 'dodged the bullet' coverage as being a primary reason why the Feds did nothing and DUHbya played golf. Clearly, the responsible reaction should have been for Nagin to call in any and all help even if to overkill the situation. It would have meant alittle embarrassment and some apologizing if he had cried wolf for no reason. But his assessment that things were 'under control' too soon was a dangerous prediction and ended up being a deadly one. He did correct this with his 'get off your asses' rant but by then how many people had died?

DUHbya & the Feds: Under FEMA's charter they are responsible securing the health, safety, and disaster response in a national disaster.

And like DUHbya's initial non-response to 9/11 and his "My Pet Goat" episode, his staying on the West Coast and playing guitar and golf did not show leadership as CIC. Not to mention, the directive that had taken FEMA from a cabinet level position to a branch of HS made the need for the President's response more immediate and important. There was no reason that if there was a conflict with the LA mayor regarding their NG that he could not have contacted neighboring states to get an initial authorization for deployment of their troops. There was no reason that planes, trains and automobiles could not have been on stand by outside the LA/MS borders.

And then the little issue of Iraq depleting resources that could have been used here. This was an issue in the evacuation, in the relief, and it will remain for the rebuild. While our NG are building 'schools and hospitals and bridges' in Iraq we'll get to hire Halliburton.

So there is PLENTY of blame to go around. The bottom line is that the POTUS is the CIC in a national emergency and regardless of what went on on the state and local level, once this hurricane would impact more than one state, impact national highways, impact the nation's ecomony, impact national troops, and possibly impact national security HE is in charge and therefore responsible.

And the media: I got lots of flak for stating the media had acted irresponsibly in their 'it's bad/it's not so bad/it's bad' coverage. But they bear some responsibility here for stating that a bullet had been dodged because N/O did not take a direct hit. Clearly, it took less than a direct hit to destroy a city.

Last edited by memyselfI on 09-05-2005 at 03:46 PM.

Donger
09-06-2005, 05:33 PM
Just curious, and I've not read this thread yet, but is anyone going to lay any blame at the feet of the local and state governments? As I understand it, FEMA is not a 'first responder.' Therefore, how much blame can be laid at FEMA's feet?

gblowfish
09-06-2005, 06:01 PM
I can see how this ends up:

"This is George W. Bush, President of the United States of America. Now I know I'm in there. If I don't come out with my hands up, I'm coming in after me!!"

Ugly Duck
09-06-2005, 07:11 PM
Don't getchur hopes up - remember what the Bushron Boyz did with the 9-11 Commission. They split it into Phase I & Phase II. They completed Phase I (where they investigated the intelligence that they received from the agencies). They deferred Phase II (the part that was supposed to investigate if the Bushron Admin misused intelligence reports to sell the war in Iraq) until after the elections. They said they didn't want the findings "to influence the election results." When it came time for Phase II earlier this year - they just cancelled the Commission instead. They don't mind investigating others so much... but they ain't so hot on investigating themselves.

the Talking Can
09-06-2005, 07:15 PM
from todays press briefing at the White House...the only question that needs to be answered:

Q I just want to follow up on David's questions on accountability. First, just to get you on the record, where does the buck stop in this administration?

MR. McCLELLAN: The President.

Q All right. So he will be held accountable as the head of the government for the federal response that he's already acknowledged was inadequate and unacceptable?

jAZ
09-06-2005, 08:47 PM
Just curious, and I've not read this thread yet, but is anyone going to lay any blame at the feet of the local and state governments? As I understand it, FEMA is not a 'first responder.' Therefore, how much blame can be laid at FEMA's feet?
http://www.dhs.gov/dhspublic/interapp/editorial/editorial_0413.xml

Strategic Goals
Awareness -- Identify and understand threats, assess vulnerabilities, determine potential impacts and disseminate timely information to our homeland security partners and the American public.

Prevention -- Detect, deter and mitigate threats to our homeland.

Protection -- Safeguard our people and their freedoms, critical infrastructure, property and the economy of our Nation from acts of terrorism, natural disasters, or other emergencies.

Response -- Lead, manage and coordinate the national response to acts of terrorism, natural disasters, or other emergencies.

Recovery -- Lead national, state, local and private sector efforts to restore services and rebuild communities after acts of terrorism, natural disasters, or other emergencies.

Service -- Serve the public effectively by facilitating lawful trade, travel and immigration.

Organizational Excellence -- Value our most important resource, our people. Create a culture that promotes a common identity, innovation, mutual respect, accountability and teamwork to achieve efficiencies, effectiveness, and operational synergies.

Radar Chief
09-07-2005, 06:53 AM

Apparently that would be a “no”. :shake:

Frankie
09-07-2005, 07:25 AM
ROFL ROFL ROFL

This sounds so much like OJ searching for Nicole's killer. ROFL
Or Bush searching for Osama. ROFL

Frankie
09-07-2005, 07:28 AM
The man isn't that great under pressure when the country is in the midst of a disaster. He's good at finishing what he started - vacation, a book about My Pet Goat.
Really? He finally finished "My Pet Goat?" :thumb:

Frankie
09-07-2005, 07:30 AM

Yeah, like in Abu Ghraib.

Frankie
09-07-2005, 07:33 AM

But,..."It's Haaard!"