PDA

View Full Version : Pick 10 winners

bogie
09-06-2005, 10:15 AM
As I mentioned earlier, I'm in a pool. I have 10 picks. I simply need to pick winners, the spread doesn't matter. Anyone want to give your opinion on who will win in week 1? I don't bet for or against the Chiefs, it takes the fun out of watching the game for me. Any help will be appreciated. Pick 10 winners, it's that easy. PS, I can put multiple picks on one team if I want. If I win this pool, there will be pie for all who helped. Thanks, bogie

Date & Time Favorite Spread Underdog
9/8 9:00 ET At New England -7.5 Oakland
9/11 1:00 ET Denver -4.5 At Miami
9/11 1:00 ET Cincinnati -3.5 At Cleveland
9/11 1:00 ET At Buffalo -5 Houston
9/11 1:00 ET At Pittsburgh -7 Tennessee
9/11 1:00 ET At Washington -6 Chicago
9/11 1:00 ET At Carolina -7 New Orleans
9/11 1:00 ET At Minnesota -6 Tampa Bay
9/11 1:00 ET At Jacksonville -3 Seattle
9/11 1:00 ET At Kansas City -3 NY Jets
9/11 4:15 ET At NY Giants -2 Arizona
9/11 4:15 ET St. Louis -5.5 At San Francisco
9/11 4:15 ET At Detroit -3 Green Bay
9/11 4:15 ET At San Diego -4.5 Dallas
9/11 8:35 ET Indianapolis -3 At Baltimore

Monday Night Football Point Spread

9/12 9:05 ET Philadelphia -2 At Atlanta

bogie
09-06-2005, 01:04 PM
Okay, pick 1 winner.

chief52
09-06-2005, 01:33 PM
Okay, pick 1 winner.

New England

Chiefnj
09-06-2005, 01:35 PM
9/8 9:00 ET At New England -7.5 Oakland - New England.
9/11 1:00 ET Denver -4.5 At Miami - Denver.
9/11 1:00 ET Cincinnati -3.5 At Cleveland - Stay away..
9/11 1:00 ET At Buffalo -5 Houston - Stay away Buff has rookie QB 1st game.
9/11 1:00 ET At Pittsburgh -7 Tennessee - Stay away Ben hasn't looked good in preseason. Carrying over from poor playoffs.
9/11 1:00 ET At Washington -6 Chicago - Stay away, both teams suck.
9/11 1:00 ET At Carolina -7 New Orleans - Carolina.
9/11 1:00 ET At Minnesota -6 Tampa Bay - Minny.
9/11 1:00 ET At Jacksonville -3 Seattle - Stay away. I'm surprised Seattle isn't favored.
9/11 1:00 ET At Kansas City -3 NY Jets - KC.
9/11 4:15 ET At NY Giants -2 Arizona - NYG.
9/11 4:15 ET St. Louis -5.5 At San Francisco - St. Louis.
9/11 4:15 ET At Detroit -3 Green Bay - Green Bay.
9/11 4:15 ET At San Diego -4.5 Dallas - Stay away, close game.
9/11 8:35 ET Indianapolis -3 At Baltimore - Stay away, close game.

That's 9 games. Maybe go with Cincy for #10.

morphius
09-06-2005, 01:36 PM
StL is pretty much a given, isn't it?

BIG_DADDY
09-06-2005, 01:42 PM
On pick'em tournaments like ChiefsPlanet Pick'em are you just picking a winner or does it take odds into consideration?

bogie
09-06-2005, 01:46 PM
On pick'em tournaments like ChiefsPlanet Pick'em are you just picking a winner or does it take odds into consideration?

Not sure if you're asking me, but in my pool, the spread doesn't matter.

cdcox
09-06-2005, 01:47 PM
You say you can put multiple picks on one team. I don't get it. I would put all 10 picks on the most certain outcome. If you are right, you get 10/10 and are guaranteed to at least tie for a win. If you are wrong you get 0/10.

Does the pool last all season or is it just a week-to-week thing? If it lasts all season, I'd take all the teams with a 7 point spread or more and spead my 10 picks equally over those teams. No point having any games with 3 pt spreads.

Warrior5
09-06-2005, 01:48 PM
At New England -7.5 Oakland (PATS)
Denver -4.5 At Miami (DOLPHINS)
Cincinnati -3.5 At Cleveland (BENGALS)
At Buffalo -5 Houston (BILLS)
At Pittsburgh -7 Tennessee (STEELERS)
At Washington -6 Chicago (REDSKINS)
At Carolina -7 New Orleans (PANTHERS)
At Minnesota -6 Tampa Bay (VIKINGS)
At Jacksonville -3 Seattle (SEAHAWKS)
At Kansas City -3 NY Jets (CHIEFS)
At NY Giants -2 Arizona (CARDS)
St. Louis -5.5 At San Francisco (RAMS)
At Detroit -3 Green Bay (COWBOYS)
At San Diego -4.5 Dallas (CHARGERS)
Indianapolis -3 At Baltimore (COLTS)

MNF
Philadelphia -2 At Atlanta (EAGLES)

BIG_DADDY
09-06-2005, 01:50 PM
At New England -7.5 Oakland (PATS)
Denver -4.5 At Miami (DOLPHINS)
Cincinnati -3.5 At Cleveland (BENGALS)
At Buffalo -5 Houston (BILLS)
At Pittsburgh -7 Tennessee (STEELERS)
At Washington -6 Chicago (REDSKINS)
At Carolina -7 New Orleans (PANTHERS)
At Minnesota -6 Tampa Bay (VIKINGS)
At Jacksonville -3 Seattle (SEAHAWKS)
At Kansas City -3 NY Jets (CHIEFS)
At NY Giants -2 Arizona (CARDS)
St. Louis -5.5 At San Francisco (RAMS)
At Detroit -3 Green Bay (COWBOYS)
At San Diego -4.5 Dallas (CHARGERS)
Indianapolis -3 At Baltimore (COLTS)

MNF
Philadelphia -2 At Atlanta (EAGLES)

That's interesting you have the Cowboys winning Detroit/Green Bay game. How much would you like to bet on that?

Old Dog
09-06-2005, 01:52 PM
New England, Carolina, Denver, Washington, and St. Louis are the five I would feel the most secure in picking.

bogie
09-06-2005, 01:53 PM
You say you can put multiple picks on one team. I don't get it. I would put all 10 picks on the most certain outcome. If you are right, you get 10/10 and are guaranteed to at least tie for a win. If you are wrong you get 0/10.

Does the pool last all season or is it just a week-to-week thing? If it lasts all season, I'd take all the teams with a 7 point spread or more and spead my 10 picks equally over those teams. No point having any games with 3 pt spreads.

The 10 picks last all season (hopefully). Yes, generally I go with the biggest spread and spread the picks out. But, this is the first year I've been so connected to Chiefsplanet so I thought I would go with those that are more knowledgable about the teams.

cdcox
09-06-2005, 02:24 PM
Ok, so you lose any pick that you have a loss on? So if you go 8-2 the first week you only get 8 picks the second? An whoever has the most wins at the end of the season wins? Also, is it winner-take-all or are their prizes for different places? How many players are playing? The rules of the game would pretty much dictate my stategy.

Amnorix
09-06-2005, 03:45 PM
Any help will be appreciated. Pick 10 winners, it's that easy. PS, I can put multiple picks on one team if I want.

:spock: err....what? This makes no sense to me.

But, if it means what it seems to mean, then I'll query you this:

Which coach do you like? Bill Belichick or Norv Turner?

Which QB do you like? Tom Brady or Kerry Collins?

Which Defense do you like? Patriots (stout) or Raiders (giving new meaning to the words "swiss cheese?)

And, P.S., they're playing in New England.

And, oh yeah, Belichick has had about 3 months to game plan for this (or whenever the schedule came out).

Halfcan
09-06-2005, 03:49 PM
Kansas City of course-easy win.

bogie
09-06-2005, 04:08 PM
Ok, so you lose any pick that you have a loss on? So if you go 8-2 the first week you only get 8 picks the second? An whoever has the most wins at the end of the season wins? Also, is it winner-take-all or are their prizes for different places? How many players are playing? The rules of the game would pretty much dictate my stategy.

Thanks for helping, sorry I haven't described the pool well. Yes, with a loss, you lose that pick. So if you pick 8 correct and two wrong in week 1 then week two you have 8 picks. It is winner take all at the end of the season. Whoever has picks left at the end of the season wins. I'm not sure if it's whoever has the most picks at the end of the season, or just whoever has picks (I'll find that out). I'm pretty sure if multiple people have (any) picks left at the end of the season, they split the pot. Last year there were 1400 picks purchased at $20.00 a pick. ($28k) If toward the end of the season all parties that are left agree to split the pot, they can. Last year 4 people split the $28k.

bogie
09-06-2005, 04:12 PM
Kansas City of course-easy win.

I agree, but I don't want to bet on it. Not because I don't think they'll win, but because I think I jinx them when I bet on them. Strange I know.

Warrior5
09-06-2005, 05:05 PM
That's interesting you have the Cowboys winning Detroit/Green Bay game. How much would you like to bet on that?

feh...just checking to see if anyone was paying attention. Green Bay.

bogie
09-06-2005, 05:16 PM
feh...just checking to see if anyone was paying attention. Green Bay.

FWIW, I was paying attention but BD beat me to it. I appreciate your opinions and your help!

chiefs4me
09-06-2005, 05:51 PM
oh I love these games..here's my picks...

Oakland
Buffalo
Tennessee
New Orleans
Green Bay

hmmm, 5 more

Dallas
Baltimore
Jacksonville
St Louis
Washington

as always......opinion's are mine only

chiefs4me
09-06-2005, 05:53 PM

ROFL.......I'll bet you a dollar..:p

chief52
09-06-2005, 06:36 PM
oh I love these games..here's my picks...

Oakland
Buffalo
Tennessee
New Orleans
Green Bay

hmmm, 5 more

Dallas
Baltimore
Jacksonville
St Louis
Washington

as always......opinion's are mine only

So Oakland is going to beat New England? You should put some $$$ on the money line if you think that is going to happen. You would win some good money.

chiefs4me
09-06-2005, 07:01 PM
So Oakland is going to beat New England? You should put some $$$ on the money line if you think that is going to happen. You would win some good money.

ROFL.....well now you know, this is only my opinion. Do you think N E is gonna win...wanna bet some rep on it?:p

chief52
09-06-2005, 07:07 PM
ROFL.....well now you know, this is only my opinion. Do you think N E is gonna win...wanna bet some rep on it?:p

New England will kick their ass...promise:) No, don't know how to bet rep and do not pay much attention to it. Let's say we just have a bet for pride and braggin' rights.

chiefs4me
09-06-2005, 07:14 PM
New England will kick their ass...promise:) No, don't know how to bet rep and do not pay much attention to it. Let's say we just have a bet for pride and braggin' rights.

well...seeing as how I don't think you could throw anything new my way.... sure I'll bet. ....ROFL bragging rights over chief52....I like the way that sounds....:p

chief52
09-06-2005, 07:25 PM
well...seeing as how I don't think you could throw anything new my way.... sure I'll bet. ....ROFL bragging rights over chief52....I like the way that sounds....:p

You're on :) If you have a better bet than rep or bragging rights I may be interested. Pats at home on a Thursday night opener...money in the bank.

chiefs4me
09-06-2005, 07:49 PM
You're on :) If you have a better bet than rep or bragging rights I may be interested. Pats at home on a Thursday night opener...money in the bank.

ROFL.....you silly boy...you act like the raiders don't even have a team.

and what money....:p

bogie
09-07-2005, 01:23 PM
Damb! Thursday nights game not eligible so NE's out!
I'm picking... Caroline (3 picks), Minnesota (3 picks) St. Louis (2 picks), Buffalo (1 pick), Washington (1 pick)

cdcox
09-07-2005, 01:57 PM
Since this is mostly a winner take all game, I would put all my eggs in one basket during the first serveral weeks. I'd put all 10 picks on one game. If you are correct, you still have all 10 picks left. If you are wrong you are out of the game. But if you lose one of your 3 pick games in week 1, you are going to be damaged goods any way. After 3-5 weeks you will either be out of the game, or have all 10 picks remaining. At that point, you should have a 2-3 pick lead on your closest competitors. I would then start spreading them out more, betting no more than 2 picks on any given team, so that you lessen your risk of being wiped out by a single upset. The longer you stay in the all-in mode the bigger your lead will become, but the more risk you have of going bust. Something to think about.

bogie
09-07-2005, 02:53 PM
Since this is mostly a winner take all game, I would put all my eggs in one basket during the first serveral weeks. I'd put all 10 picks on one game. If you are correct, you still have all 10 picks left. If you are wrong you are out of the game. But if you lose one of your 3 pick games in week 1, you are going to be damaged goods any way. After 3-5 weeks you will either be out of the game, or have all 10 picks remaining. At that point, you should have a 2-3 pick lead on your closest competitors. I would then start spreading them out more, betting no more than 2 picks on any given team, so that you lessen your risk of being wiped out by a single upset. The longer you stay in the all-in mode the bigger your lead will become, but the more risk you have of going bust. Something to think about.

Thanks cd. I'm a little concerned about putting all on one pick, especially early on because of upsets. Picks are $20 each and I have 10 picks. I mostly do it to add a level of enjoyment in watching all the games. I want my 10 picks to last as long as possible. What is your opinion of the picks I made?

Chiefnj
09-07-2005, 03:06 PM
Damb! Thursday nights game not eligible so NE's out!
I'm picking... Caroline (3 picks), Minnesota (3 picks) St. Louis (2 picks), Buffalo (1 pick), Washington (1 pick)

I would have taken the Broncos for 2 instead of Buffalo and Washington. Maybe 1 pick for Cleveland West and the NYG if you wanted to spread it out.

bogie
09-07-2005, 03:21 PM
I would have taken the Broncos for 2 instead of Buffalo and Washington. Maybe 1 pick for Cleveland West and the NYG if you wanted to spread it out.

I agree with the Denver pick, but it's more important for me hope for a Denver loss.

cdcox
09-07-2005, 03:27 PM
Thanks cd. I'm a little concerned about putting all on one pick, especially early on because of upsets. Picks are $20 each and I have 10 picks. I mostly do it to add a level of enjoyment in watching all the games. I want my 10 picks to last as long as possible. What is your opinion of the picks I made?

I understand the desire to stretch your picks out as long as possible.

I like all your picks except 3 on Minnesota. No doubt Minnesota on paper looks like one of the strongest teams in the NFC this year. However, it never seems like they play up to their talent level. They tend to play either really well or really bad. I think if they are down they could easily lose that game. Just my opinion, and likely to be wrong.