PDA

View Full Version : Bengals interested in Hunt

Mr. Laz
09-06-2005, 10:24 AM
given our health issues at DT ... shouldn't we be interested in Hunt as well?

Packers notebook: Bengals interested in Cletidus Hunt

Rob Demovsky
PackersNews.com

Two days after being cut by the Packers, defensive tackle Cletidus Hunt was headed to Cincinnati to meet with the Bengals, according to Grady Jackson, who is Hunt’s best friend in Green Bay.

Jackson, who said he has talked to Hunt several times since the Packers released him Saturday, said Hunt has not been offered a contract by the Bengals. He also said Hunt took the news of his release hard.

“He was (upset),” Jackson said Monday. “But I think he’s probably humbled after this. This might be the start for him to be a great player.”

Jackson denied that Hunt was unhappy with the Packers or that he missed most of training camp as a way of orchestrating his release.

“He was happy here,” Jackson said. “You can’t say he wasn’t happy. Why do you say that? Because he wasn’t here for the offseason workouts? He was happy. There’s no doubt about that.”

Hunt never lived up to the six-year, $25.35 million contract he received in 2003.

“I think this made him realize that he’s got to turn the page and make a new start for himself,” Jackson said. “It might be good for him. He might come out to be an All-Pro somewhere else.”

Efforts to reach Hunt were unsuccessful.

Coach Mike Sherman, who gave Hunt the contract during his tenure as general manager, wouldn’t say whether he made a case to new GM Ted Thompson for keeping Hunt.

“I’m not going to get into the Cletidus Hunt thing,” Sherman said. “Cletidus has moved on, and we’ve moved on.”

Jackson ready: Though he practiced for only one week of camp and played in only one half of one preseason game due to a sore knee, Jackson said he’s ready for Sunday’s regular-season opener in Detroit.

Jackson played only about 12 to 15 snaps in the preseason finale at Tennessee on Thursday, but the defensive tackle expects to play at least twice that number against the Lions.

“I can go a whole game as long as we’re going to rotate like coach said we’re going to,” Jackson said. “It’s not going to be like last year, when I played 50 or 60 snaps. I think it will be about 30 to 35 reps a game because we’re going to do a lot of rotating.”

Favre treated: Quarterback Brett Favre did not go to Mississippi over the weekend as he planned but instead stayed in Green Bay and got treatment on the sprained right ankle sustained Thursday.

Sherman said Favre got treatment twice a day over the weekend and should be ready to practice Wednesday. Favre was held out of Monday’s practice.

Favre had said he was going to fly from Nashville, Tenn., to Hattiesburg, Miss., after the game to help his family clean up after Hurricane Katrina, but Sherman said his wife and children arrived in Green Bay on Sunday.

Injury update: Sherman didn’t rule out the possibility that starting linebacker Na’il Diggs could play against the Lions.

Diggs, who sprained the medial collateral ligament in his left knee on Aug. 8, did some light jogging and said he took part in a handful of drills Monday.

“I didn’t practice with our defense, just some scout team stuff to feel it out,” Diggs said. “It felt pretty good. Next time, I’ll take it up another notch.”

Receiver Terrence Murphy, who sustained the same injury on Aug. 17, practiced on Monday for the first time since he got hurt. He was not expected to be ready for Week 1.

Sherman said receiver Antonio Chatman (neck), tight end David Martin (groin) and defensive end Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila (stinger) practiced.

Practice squad: As expected, the Packers signed receiver Craig Bragg and fullback Vonta Leach to their practice squad. They also added cornerback Patrick Dendy, receiver Chad Lucas and linebacker Zac Woodfin — all of whom had been in training camp with the Packers — and cornerback Therrian Fontenot, who had been in camp with Buffalo.

Chiefs Pantalones
09-06-2005, 10:25 AM
uh-huhuh...Cletius.

Mr. Kotter
09-06-2005, 10:29 AM
Why not take a look at the guy? Can't hurt....

Damn it, Carl!!! :cuss:

Rain Man
09-06-2005, 10:35 AM
He was one of the more surprising cuts, in my opinion.

Another one was Terry Pierce, by the Broncos (not that we need him). I remember him getting pimped all over the place on the board here, and he was also a relatively high choice of the Cheaters.

Cormac
09-06-2005, 10:44 AM
There were a few interesting cuts that I think could help us:

Cletidus Hunt, Dorsett Davis and Mario Fatafehi at DT
Joey Goodspeed at FB
Kevin Garrett at CB

With Siavii and Browning hurt most of the pre-season, we could end up very thin on the D-line. I'd like to add one of the above DTs, put Khari Long on the PS, and drop Zach Ville. We'd have 5 DTs and 4 DEs, but we could rotate Browning outside anytime.....even start him out there instead of Wilkerson if fit enough.

I can't believe we only kept Holmes and Johnson at RB. I think Goodspeed might be a better option than Cruz, and we could add Dee Brown or McKenzie Smith, and drop Parquet, Svitek or Scanlon :p

Also, I wouldn't mind picking up Garrett for Dewayne Washington.

Chiefs Pantalones
09-06-2005, 10:52 AM

Joey Goodspeed at FB
Kevin Garrett at CB

With Siavii and Browning hurt most of the pre-season, we could end up very thin on the D-line. I'd like to add one of the above DTs, put Khari Long on the PS, and drop Zach Ville. We'd have 5 DTs and 4 DEs, but we could rotate Browning outside anytime.....even start him out there instead of Wilkerson if fit enough.

I can't believe we only kept Holmes and Johnson at RB. I think Goodspeed might be a better option than Cruz, and we could add Dee Brown or McKenzie Smith, and drop Parquet, Svitek or Scanlon :p

SIGN HIM OR MELTDOWNNNNnnnNNNN!!!1111ONE

Mr. Laz
09-06-2005, 11:06 AM

Joey Goodspeed at FB
Kevin Garrett at CB

... add Hunt

or

and add hunt

or

drop ville,put savaii on IR and sign both Hunt and Fatafehi :)

Halfcan
09-06-2005, 11:41 AM
When Hunt has been able to control his weight problem he has been very good. I am surprised the Chiefs didn't address the DT spot like, last year. They just can't seem to get any talent at that position. Junior will probably be hurt most of the year, and Browning-never know if he is in there he is so quiet. Simms might finally have a descent year, if only for the fact we have some burners now that will be blitzing like crazy. Dalton always wanted to secure the starting spot-so here is his chance. Didn't hear much at all about him in the offseason and camp though. If Hunt is under say 300, than I would give him a workout-if he has any kind of speed left, a minimum deal would make sense for some depth at least.

tiptap
09-06-2005, 12:34 PM
We spent our money reforming the areas that really did need help. Secondary and LB. We are pretty close to the salary cap compared to a lot of teams. It is true that the incentive part of a lot of contracts may not get paid but that will happen if the year isn't going well and then we could say we had room to add help. If the year is going well than it is more likely incentives are being met and we then don't have the money for the addition of that mystical DT. We did not have an expectation that the two backup DT would be walking wounded. It is better to see if the new speed at LB we acquired can make up the difference in overall play of the defense before whining about DT play.

Mr. Laz
09-06-2005, 12:51 PM
new speed at LB we acquired can make up the difference in overall play of the defense before whining about DT play.
take your "whining" and shove it :cuss:

one single,minor injury and we won't even have enough guys to suit up with any rotation.

this IS an issue

StcChief
09-06-2005, 03:01 PM
Bum. Talk with Packers.

Dr. Facebook Fever
09-06-2005, 03:03 PM
My initial thought upon reading the thread title was "I wasn't aware teams could trade owners."

tk13
09-06-2005, 03:06 PM
My friend who is a Packers fan used to complain about Hunt alllllll the time. Said he was a total bust for them, paid him way too much money. Every time I watched them play I wasn't impressed with him either. I wouldn't break the bank for the guy, none of this 3-4 million a year stuff. A Lional Dalton-esque signing wouldn't be horrible, but unlikely, I'm not heartbroken over it.