PDA

View Full Version : CB & DT free agents! Aren't we looking at any?

Rick
09-06-2005, 11:42 AM
I assume that we are but haven't heard of any specific players we may want to talk to. We obviously have concerns in the above mentioned positions, aren't there any descent ones out there or are we just satisfied with what we have? You'd think there would be a corner out there somewhere better than Washington and a DT better than Siavii. Damn, Siavii just looks terrible. Any inside info. or rumors?

jspchief
09-06-2005, 11:45 AM
Yea. There are a lot of "descent" ones out there. Most teams cut good players.

Brock
09-06-2005, 11:52 AM
No.

Chiefs Pantalones
09-06-2005, 11:53 AM
SIGN HIM OR MELTDOWNNNNnnnNNNN!!!1111ONE

Scaga
09-06-2005, 12:08 PM
Hey....I hear Hugh Dougla.......

:rolleyes:

nevermind

chief99
09-06-2005, 12:13 PM
How do you know if Siavii is bad ?

Didn't all the 'EXPERTS' here say Ryan Sims sucked too.

The guy missed time because of injury. Someone would take if the Chiefs cut him.

shaneo69
09-06-2005, 12:41 PM

The guy missed time because of injury. Someone would take if the Chiefs cut him.

Ryan Sims HAS sucked for three years now. You're disputing that? Or just guessing that he's finally gonna get off his ass and have a decent year in '05?

As far as Rick's question goes, no, the Chiefs won't bring in anybody. Each year, Vermiel totally ignores this opportunity to improve the team because he doesn't want to bring in anyone off the street who hasn't gone through OTA's, mini-camps, and training camp with him. Only time he'd consider doing it is if the player played for him at some point in the past.

I personally think Vermiel is wasting a golden opportunity here. Our DT's suck. We could've brought in Cletidus Hunt, Atiyah Ellison, Dorsett Davis, Mario Fatafehi, etc. All those guys are better than Junior, but hey, we always let our bad draft picks kill us for a couple years before we let them go. Quincy Morgan, Peerless Price, Peter Warrick? Nah, we'll keep Chris Horn.

KC Kings
09-06-2005, 01:06 PM

Sims has had 2 healthy seasons to make an impact, and he not. To say that Siavii is horible is a little premature IMO. He has had flashes during training camp and could be improved this season.

tiptap
09-06-2005, 01:17 PM
Ryan Sims HAS sucked for three years now. You're disputing that? Or just guessing that he's finally gonna get off his ass and have a decent year in '05?

As far as Rick's question goes, no, the Chiefs won't bring in anybody. Each year, Vermiel totally ignores this opportunity to improve the team because he doesn't want to bring in anyone off the street who hasn't gone through OTA's, mini-camps, and training camp with him. Only time he'd consider doing it is if the player played for him at some point in the past.

I personally think Vermiel is wasting a golden opportunity here. Our DT's suck. We could've brought in Cletidus Hunt, Atiyah Ellison, Dorsett Davis, Mario Fatafehi, etc. All those guys are better than Junior, but hey, we always let our bad draft picks kill us for a couple years before we let them go. Quincy Morgan, Peerless Price, Peter Warrick? Nah, we'll keep Chris Horn.

Disputing that! The Chiefs were one of the better defenses in stopping plays for no gain or loss on 1st downs. The overwhelming majority of 1st down plays are runs between tackles. The defensive line ranked 8th in defense against to the offensive right inside of tackles. All this points to the DT play as being good against the run. That is what you want from your DTs. The pass rush could be better but I see Sims getting push up the middle but a failure of the DE to contain and make the sack. We saw the same thing in the Vikings game. A great mobile QB would get pushed out of the pocket and make plays with his feet as well as his arm. I am hoping the extra speed and Wilkerson's play against cut back runs is the difference in lowering our abominable 2nd and 3rd down defense. LB and secondary, as demostrated by our offseason deals, is what needed desperate upgrading.

Spicy McHaggis
09-06-2005, 01:18 PM

I agree with a lot of what you said. Vermeil seems to use the idea that anyone we bring at this point is going to be inept for the entire season because they haven't been in the system. However the positions we need to look at (aside from WR) have a smaller learning curve. DT's role don't vary too much from scheme to scheme. Penetrate or tie up blockers. Okay thats an oversimplification but you know what I mean.

Our talent and depth at the position is of huge concern and bringing in a younger guy like Davis or Fatafehi might just pay off at least in deepening the rotation. The last Donkey DT cast-off we got worked out alright.

As far as WR's go I wouldn't have minded seeing Price or Warrick here.

Mr. Laz
09-06-2005, 01:22 PM

savaii is injured

sims has sucked

sims may turn it around this, but i don't see how savaii is gonna get healthy... he has bone spurs on his knee caps from what i've heard and that doesn't improve without surgery.

Goapics1
09-06-2005, 01:26 PM
WR David Terrell is available, the Pats cut him.

jidar1
09-06-2005, 01:27 PM
Sims has not sucked, he just hasn't been great. He's probably better than anyone we can find right now.

People who are cut at this point are usually folks who weren't even good enough to be a backup somewhere, why the hell are we going to try to make starters out of other peoples castaways? Get real.

jidar1
09-06-2005, 01:28 PM
WR David Terrell is available, the Pats cut him.
Maybe we can get him for the $800k we have left in salary cap!

Mr. Laz
09-06-2005, 01:33 PM
Sims has not sucked, he just hasn't been great. He's probably better than anyone we can find right now.

a week ago corey simons was on the market