PDA

View Full Version : Jets secondary in a mild state of chaos - Gonzales licking his lips

B_Ambuehl
09-06-2005, 11:59 AM
http://www.newsday.com/sports/printedition/ny-spjets064413748sep06,0,5344253.story?coll=ny-sports-print

Safety's dangerous debut
Rookie Rhodes wins starting assignment, but in his first game he'll have to cover Chiefs star Gonzalez

BY KEN BERGER
STAFF WRITER

September 6, 2005

Kerry Rhodes' first day of work as a starter in the NFL yesterday was pretty typical, except for one thing. His assignment in the season opener Sunday will be none other than the Chiefs' Tony Gonzalez.

Welcome to the NFL, Kerry. Now, go stop the best tight end in football.

"He's going to be licking his chops, to be honest with you," cornerback Ty Law said of Gonzalez's matchup with a rookie. "But Kerry's the type of athlete and he has the competitive drive to him that once he gets going, I think he's going to be real successful."

Rhodes, a fourth-round pick from Louisville, held off Oliver Celestin to win the starting strong safety job next to second-year starter Erik Coleman.

"He definitely has a nose for the ball," Law said. "He can really go out there and make plays ... But we have to understand that he's a young guy. He's a rookie.

"With him and myself being on the same side, neither one of us knows what the hell's going on," Law said, only slightly tongue in cheek. "That's going to be something to see."

The Jets' secondary is going to be a work in progress for a while, especially given that the coaches used the unorthodox approach of having Celestin start all the preseason games when they believed all along that Rhodes would win the job. Rhodes will be relying on athleticism and instincts, but also on Coleman, a second-year starter.

"It's up to Erik Coleman to kind of put things into place because we're kind of running around with our heads cut off right now just playing football," Law said.

Coleman will make all the pre-snap reads and checks, and there will be plenty to make. Although there is uncertainty about the health of quarterback Trent Green, who had leg surgery last week to correct a circulation problem, Kansas City thrives on confusing defenses with motion and varied formations.

Rhodes could fill the role vacated by safety Jon McGraw, who matched up with top pass-catching tight ends because of his height, range and athleticism. But no one can contain Gonzalez alone.

"He had 102 catches last year, so he isn't a slouch," Rhodes said. "Receivers don't even have that many."

Strong-side linebacker Victor Hobson, who is 15 pounds lighter in hopes of expanding his role, could be used to defend Gonzalez on some patterns.

"Just stay in his face," advised running back Derrick Blaylock, a former Chief. "Stay close enough to him so you can get in there and try to knock the ball down."

The best tip Rhodes got yesterday was from secondary coach Corwin Brown, who informed him before practice that he'd won the job.

"He just said this is my shot," Rhodes said, "so run with it."

Bowser
09-06-2005, 12:01 PM
What are the chances the Jets will just stay in Cover 2 the whole game? Let the rook stay on Gonzo man-to-man up the seam all day.

the Talking Can
09-06-2005, 12:01 PM
they won't know what happened when AS gets done with them....

Halfcan
09-06-2005, 12:05 PM
How exactly does one lick their chops? I saw my dog do it when he had worms.

Cochise
09-06-2005, 12:15 PM
they won't know what happened when AS gets done with them....

This is the type of thing that Saunders will hammer. It'll be interesting how soon they take a shot at him in the script.

Cmart28
09-06-2005, 12:17 PM
The Jets have a very suspect secondary, this is no secret. I don't expect to see the real Ty Law until week 7 or 8. David Barrett started off slow but came on huge last year. I am worried about our safeties as Erik Coleman (2nd year) may have played over his head last year, and Kerry Rhodes (R) obviously is unexperienced, although he did have a great preseaon. Look for Oliver Celestin and Rashad Washington (who both also had solid preseasons) to rotate in at SS and FS for a number of plays. Also, Ty Law is said by Herm to only be in for 25-30 snaps, so expect the rookie Justin Miller to be in for 10-15 snaps. Our LB Corp is among the best as is our D line. If you guys can establish a running game and PA our secondary, we're toast, but good luck with that staring at Ellis, Abraham, Barton, Vilma, Hobson, Robertson and Reed going at you all day.

John_Wayne
09-06-2005, 12:18 PM
"Just stay in his face," advised running back Derrick Blaylock, a former Chief. "Stay close enough to him so you can get in there and try to knock the ball down."

--- Say it ain't so Derrick!

Spicy McHaggis
09-06-2005, 12:23 PM
This Rhodes kid is more safety size than a true CB. 6'2" at about 210. And he'll have no better luck covering TG than anyone else that's tried. The Jet's better put Vilma over TG for the first 10 yards to help out Rhodes or Tony's going to have a big day.

Dr. Facebook Fever
09-06-2005, 12:32 PM
prediction from the negative side of me, after we lose this game and Gonzo has one catch for 3 yards....

ChiefsPlanet: "WTF were Saunders and Vermeil thinking?! Did they even throw to Tony in the second half?!?!!!! I can't ****ing believe this shit! They both need to be fired now before it's too late! Dammit Carl!!! We're doomed DOOOOOOOMED!!!!"

sorry.......................................never mind me...

Cmart28
09-06-2005, 12:37 PM
prediction from the negative side of me, after we lose this game and Gonzo has one catch for 3 yards....

ChiefsPlanet: "WTF were Saunders and Vermeil thinking?! Did they even throw to Tony in the second half?!?!!!! I can't ****ing believe this shit! They both need to be fired now before it's too late! Dammit Carl!!! We're doomed DOOOOOOOMED!!!!"

I'll drink to that :BLVD: :BLVD:

ct
09-06-2005, 12:41 PM

BANISHED!!! :)

Dr. Facebook Fever
09-06-2005, 12:42 PM
BANISHED!!! :)
I'd deserve it.

xxedge72x
09-06-2005, 12:47 PM
It's going to be an interesting matchup, I'll tell you that much. Don't expect Donnie H. to be so stupid though as to leave a rookie covering Tony G for the entire game. The Chiefs O will be seeing numerous looks from the Jets D to try to keep them off balance. Expect a lot of overload and safety blitzes.

Rain Man
09-06-2005, 12:51 PM

Shut up, Derrick. Nobody asked you.

morphius
09-06-2005, 12:59 PM
It's going to be an interesting matchup, I'll tell you that much. Don't expect Donnie H. to be so stupid though as to leave a rookie covering Tony G for the entire game. The Chiefs O will be seeing numerous looks from the Jets D to try to keep them off balance. Expect a lot of overload and safety blitzes.
Yup, its not like the Jets have Greg Robinson who continues to allow the same play to be run against him a dozen times a game with no adjustments. If TG springs a leak in the D early, I'm sure the Jets will give the kid some help.

I'm just wondering how many times a game we can run at ty law just to see if we can get Shields to block him a few times and maybe lesson that number from 25-30 to 10 or less plays.

xxedge72x
09-06-2005, 01:01 PM
Yup, its not like the Jets have Greg Robinson who continues to allow the same play to be run against him a dozen times a game with no adjustments. If TG springs a leak in the D early, I'm sure the Jets will give the kid some help.

I'm just wondering how many times a game we can run at ty law just to see if we can get Shields to block him a few times and maybe lesson that number from 25-30 to 10 or less plays.

If you're running at Ty Law then you're going to get shalacked. The Jets linebackers are VERY fast, that's what they're known for. The way to beat the Jets front 7 is to run at James Reed and to have the FB go through the line and blow up Vilma. The Jets D-Line is going to be trying to protect Vilma, but if they fail at that then the straight ahead runs are going to be gaping wide open.

keg in kc
09-06-2005, 01:02 PM
My crystal ball tells me we'll try this early, and Green will try to force a pass to gonzalez in quintupleple coverage and get picked. Hilarity on the BB will ensue.

morphius
09-06-2005, 01:40 PM
If you're running at Ty Law then you're going to get shalacked. The Jets linebackers are VERY fast, that's what they're known for. The way to beat the Jets front 7 is to run at James Reed and to have the FB go through the line and blow up Vilma. The Jets D-Line is going to be trying to protect Vilma, but if they fail at that then the straight ahead runs are going to be gaping wide open.
We run the ball well in pretty much any direction, just ask the Ravens and ATL that came to Arrowhead with the number 1 run D last year and had 8 rushing TD's put up on them.

xxedge72x
09-06-2005, 01:43 PM
We run the ball well in pretty much any direction, just ask the Ravens and ATL that came to Arrowhead with the number 1 run D last year and had 8 rushing TD's put up on them.

That's all good and great but the fact is that isn't how a team would gameplan for an opposing defense. If the Chiefs were smart, they'd hit the Jets straight up the middle, where, while not weak, are most vulnerable. The Jets are more of an edge rushing defense than a straight up in your face mauler. I can almost garuntee that most of Priest's carries Sunday will be north/south, because the sweeps and offtackles WILL get beaten.

Chiefnj
09-06-2005, 01:45 PM
That's all good and great but the fact is that isn't how a team would gameplan for an opposing defense. If the Chiefs were smart, they'd hit the Jets straight up the middle, where, while not weak, are most vulnerable. The Jets are more of an edge rushing defense than a straight up in your face mauler. I can almost garuntee that most of Priest's carries Sunday will be north/south, because the sweeps and offtackles WILL get beaten.

If that is true then LJ will get a bunch of carries as he is more of a north-south runner.

morphius
09-06-2005, 01:46 PM
We do a good job of mixing up sweeps, with draws and runs. It'll be fun to watch the match ups.

Calcountry
09-06-2005, 01:47 PM
If you're running at Ty Law then you're going to get shalacked. The Jets linebackers are VERY fast, that's what they're known for. The way to beat the Jets front 7 is to run at James Reed and to have the FB go through the line and blow up Vilma. The Jets D-Line is going to be trying to protect Vilma, but if they fail at that then the straight ahead runs are going to be gaping wide open.Larry Johnson is better at straight ahead runs.

xxedge72x
09-06-2005, 01:49 PM
If it's true that LJ is a better straight ahead runner then I would be willing to bet he sees a lot of playing time, and that Priest is in there for screen passes. Has the Chiefs ever shown any formations where both Priest and LJ are on the field at the same time? That might be deadly.

alanm
09-06-2005, 01:53 PM
Jet's defensive line meet Larry Johnson. Larry Johnson meet wide open hole. Larry Johnson bye bye.... :thumb:

xxedge72x
09-06-2005, 01:57 PM
Jet's defensive line meet Larry Johnson. Larry Johnson meet wide open hole. Larry Johnson bye bye.... :thumb:

Larry Johnson meet league's most underrated DT, DeWayne Robertson. DeWayne Robertson blow up double team. Larry Johnson go to emergency room. ROFL

BIG_DADDY
09-06-2005, 01:59 PM
Larry Johnson meet league's most underrated DT, DeWayne Robertson. DeWayne Robertson blow up double team. Larry Johnson go to emergency room. ROFL

Yea he is going to just blow right through double coverage on the NFL's top O line. OK

morphius
09-06-2005, 02:01 PM
Has the Chiefs ever shown any formations where both Priest and LJ are on the field at the same time? That might be deadly.

The have practiced it, they just haven't shown it yet ;)

Mr. Laz
09-06-2005, 02:04 PM
doesn't everybody...

xxedge72x
09-06-2005, 02:06 PM
Yea he is going to just blow right through double coverage on the NFL's top O line. OK

If the Chiefs O-Lines are having the problems that they are reportedly having... then yes... yes he will.

Cochise
09-06-2005, 02:07 PM
If it's true that LJ is a better straight ahead runner then I would be willing to bet he sees a lot of playing time, and that Priest is in there for screen passes. Has the Chiefs ever shown any formations where both Priest and LJ are on the field at the same time? That might be deadly.

Not that I can recall, but LJ's emergence wasn't really until Priest was injured last year.

Occasionally before that you'd see the Chiefs line up in the I, and the Holmes would go in motion out to the slot. I could see them running or passing from that formation and causing some confusion if the backfield were Priest and LJ.

One thing KC does well is confuse the defense at the line of scrimmage. You'll see them line up one way and then completely change the formation before the snap. They will stack the strong side and then pull everyone weak. It's kind of line a toned-down version of Manning's LOS adjustments but all choreographed.

I'm looking forward to a good game. I'm not worried about our offense, we haven't lost a game in a long time that was due to the offense. They're always good enough.

morphius
09-06-2005, 02:08 PM
If the Chiefs O-Lines are having the problems that they are reportedly having... then yes... yes he will.
The only question there is right tackle, and that really was a question mark all last year as well and we did fine, especially after we replaced Welbourn.

xxedge72x
09-06-2005, 02:13 PM
How the Chiefs O-Line holds up could be the key to the game I think. At least on the Chiefs side of the ball anyway. I expect a high scoring game. Should be fun to watch, no matter who comes out on top.

Cochise
09-06-2005, 02:14 PM
The only question there is right tackle, and that really was a question mark all last year as well and we did fine, especially after we replaced Welbourn.

In my opinion there aren't any questions there. We've got two hall of famers, two pro-bowl calliber players, and a RT position that we filled in just fine last year. No one's injured. No cause for concern from the preseason. What's the problem?

It's a case of the national sportswriters, who don't follow the team like the local media does, looking for a weakness.

Everyone is always predicting a great unit's downfall. I've heard people say Manning is going to fall off this year. That the Patriots are the 3rd or 4th best team in the AFC now. etc, etc. Our linemen aren't young but I think their performance last year attests that they don't have one foot in the grave either, and are still the most capable unit in football.

One thing I do several times a game is spend a few plays in a row watching Willie Roaf handle his assignments. It's scary how good he is even after 10 years in the league. You line a rookie up against him or something, and he'll have that guy chewing on the sod all day long.

Chiefnj
09-06-2005, 02:14 PM

Larry laughs at DT's with broken hands in casts who can't grab him as he leaves them in his wake.

If the Jets want to stop KC's offense they will need to put Law on Tony G. If you don't you'll have to double up on him with the rookie safety and your OLB (Hobson?). Might as well do it with 1 player and let your safety help out deep.

morphius
09-06-2005, 02:20 PM
In my opinion there aren't any questions there. We've got two hall of famers, two pro-bowl calliber players, and a RT position that we filled in just fine last year. No one's injured. No cause for concern from the preseason. What's the problem?

It's a case of the national sportswriters, who don't follow the team like the local media does, looking for a weakness.

Everyone is always predicting a great unit's downfall. I've heard people say Manning is going to fall off this year. That the Patriots are the 3rd or 4th best team in the AFC now. etc, etc. Our linemen aren't young but I think their performance last year attests that they don't have one foot in the grave either, and are still the most capable unit in football.

One thing I do several times a game is spend a few plays in a row watching Willie Roaf handle his assignments. It's scary how good he is even after 10 years in the league. You line a rookie up against him or something, and he'll have that guy chewing on the sod all day long.
I pretty much agree, I'm not really sure what the question mark he is talking about is. The only thing we know is that the guy the Chiefs wanted to start at RT is hurt and may be unable to go, so we will have to settle for the guy who played the position well last season. Guess we will have to wait and see, but really is there any question on O other then how well will Parker play?

keg in kc
09-06-2005, 02:24 PM
If the Jets want to stop KC's offense they will need to put Law on Tony G. If you don't you'll have to double up on him with the rookie safety and your OLB (Hobson?). Might as well do it with 1 player and let your safety help out deep.Yep.

Other than Julian Peterson hanging off him a couple of years ago, that's been the only way anyone's been able to have any success with Gonzalez one-on-on, putting their top cover corner on him. And that doesn't work quite so well now, since Kennison's become a threat. Parker and Wilson are both wildcards in the matchup game, as well, I'd say.

It'll be fun to watch.

xxedge72x
09-06-2005, 02:24 PM
Larry laughs at DT's with broken hands in casts who can't grab him as he leaves them in his wake.

If the Jets want to stop KC's offense they will need to put Law on Tony G. If you don't you'll have to double up on him with the rookie safety and your OLB (Hobson?). Might as well do it with 1 player and let your safety help out deep.

Ty Law won't be covering Tony G., that'll be left to Rhodes and the linebackers. Erik Coleman will be playing a center fielder type of role while Rhodes joins the front 7 in support of the Chiefs interior offensive unit.

jspchief
09-06-2005, 02:54 PM
Ty Law won't be covering Tony G., that'll be left to Rhodes and the linebackers. Erik Coleman will be playing a center fielder type of role while Rhodes joins the front 7 in support of the Chiefs interior offensive unit.A rookie safety and some LBs covering Gonzo gives me wood. Please tell me this is true.

Cochise
09-06-2005, 02:56 PM
A rookie safety and some LBs covering Gonzo gives me wood. Please tell me this is true.

If linebackers cover him, just hope your fantasy opponent this week isn't starting Tony G...

Bob Dole
09-06-2005, 02:56 PM

DooWayne Robertson is over rated.

xxedge72x
09-06-2005, 02:57 PM
A rookie safety and some LBs covering Gonzo gives me wood. Please tell me this is true.

It probably will be. Even if the Jets do stick a corner on Tony it won't be Law, chances are it'll be Derrick Strait, the nickelback.

xxedge72x
09-06-2005, 02:57 PM
If linebackers cover him, just hope your fantasy opponent this week isn't starting Tony G...

LOL sure enough I've got Tony G. starting for me in my fantasy football league. The irony...

Bob Dole
09-06-2005, 03:00 PM
It probably will be. Even if the Jets do stick a corner on Tony it won't be Law, chances are it'll be Derrick Strait, the nickelback.

Nickelback is over rated.

BIG_DADDY
09-06-2005, 03:01 PM
LOL sure enough I've got Tony G. starting for me in my fantasy football league. The irony...

That's all right look at my lineup

Big Daddy
Player Next Bye Avg Guru Status Own % Start %
Brady, Tom QB NE OAK 7 0.0 11 ActiveReserveInjured 99 78
Holmes, Priest RB KC NYJ 5 0.0 9 ActiveReserveInjured 95 86
Portis, Clinton RB WAS CHI 3 0.0 6 ActiveReserveInjured 99 92
Boldin, Anquan WR ARI @NYG 6 0.0 4 ActiveReserveInjured 97 73
Kennison, Eddie WR KC NYJ 5 0.0 4 ActiveReserveInjured 91 39
Clark, Dallas TE IND @BAL 8 0.0 3 ActiveReserveInjured 84 65
Janikowski, Sebastian K OAK @NE 5 0.0 8 ActiveReserveInjured 96 85

Pennington, Chad QB NYJ @KC 8 0.0 10 ActiveReserveInjured 90 20
Martin, Curtis RB NYJ @KC 8 0.0 6 ActiveReserveInjured 100 91
Burress, Plaxico WR NYG ARI 5 0.0 3 ActiveReserveInjured 96 47
Glenn, Terry WR DAL @SD 9 0.0 4 ActiveReserveInjured 42 5
Porter, Jerry WR OAK @NE 5 0.0 3 ActiveReserveInjured 95 40

xxedge72x
09-06-2005, 03:06 PM
That's all right look at my lineup

Big Daddy
Player Next Bye Avg Guru Status Own % Start %
Brady, Tom QB NE OAK 7 0.0 11 ActiveReserveInjured 99 78
Holmes, Priest RB KC NYJ 5 0.0 9 ActiveReserveInjured 95 86
Portis, Clinton RB WAS CHI 3 0.0 6 ActiveReserveInjured 99 92
Boldin, Anquan WR ARI @NYG 6 0.0 4 ActiveReserveInjured 97 73
Kennison, Eddie WR KC NYJ 5 0.0 4 ActiveReserveInjured 91 39
Clark, Dallas TE IND @BAL 8 0.0 3 ActiveReserveInjured 84 65
Janikowski, Sebastian K OAK @NE 5 0.0 8 ActiveReserveInjured 96 85

Pennington, Chad QB NYJ @KC 8 0.0 10 ActiveReserveInjured 90 20
Martin, Curtis RB NYJ @KC 8 0.0 6 ActiveReserveInjured 100 91
Burress, Plaxico WR NYG ARI 5 0.0 3 ActiveReserveInjured 96 47
Glenn, Terry WR DAL @SD 9 0.0 4 ActiveReserveInjured 42 5
Porter, Jerry WR OAK @NE 5 0.0 3 ActiveReserveInjured 95 40

That's why fantasy football is just that, fantasy, because if people couldn't detach from their team then they'd never win.

BIG_DADDY
09-06-2005, 03:10 PM
That's why fantasy football is just that, fantasy, because if people couldn't detach from their team then they'd never win.

Still trying to fugure out whether I should play Curtis Martin or Clinton Portis. Hard to go against Holmes when he is the highest scorer in the league whe he's playing.

xxedge72x
09-06-2005, 03:11 PM
Still trying to fugure out whether I should play Curtis Martin or Clinton Portis. Hard to go against Holmes when he is the highest scorer in the league whe he's playing.

I'd go Martin because the Chiefs won't stick 8 in the box against him, and he's a better RB in general.

Portis is on a shitty team, with a shitty head coach, and even shittier offensive coordinator, and will be seeing plenty of 8 men in the box.

Bob Dole
09-06-2005, 03:13 PM
I'd go Martin because the Chiefs won't stick 8 in the box against him, and he's a better RB in general.

Portis is on a shitty team, with a shitty head coach, and even shittier offensive coordinator, and will be seeing plenty of 8 men in the box.

If you can fit 8 men in her box, she's over rated.

Bowser
09-06-2005, 03:16 PM
If you can fit 8 men in her box, she's over rated.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to xxbob72x again.

Calcountry
09-06-2005, 06:46 PM
If it's true that LJ is a better straight ahead runner then I would be willing to bet he sees a lot of playing time, and that Priest is in there for screen passes. Has the Chiefs ever shown any formations where both Priest and LJ are on the field at the same time? That might be deadly.You will see some this year.

Calcountry
09-06-2005, 06:50 PM
If you can fit 8 men in her box, she's over rated.ROFL

chiefs4me
09-06-2005, 08:14 PM
Tony's gonna have cake AND ice cream......ROFL

whoman69
09-06-2005, 08:18 PM

A shitty head coach? You realize he's going to be in the HOF don't you? That's just disrespect for a guy who won 3 SB.

Tuckdaddy
09-06-2005, 08:22 PM

--- Say it ain't so Derrick!

What great idea Derrick! Why the hell don't all defenders try that?

Claynus
09-06-2005, 08:22 PM
Does anyone else hate Derrick Blaylock, now? TURNCOAT!

Tuckdaddy
09-06-2005, 08:25 PM

Fugg'in bastard Blaylock!

We did dump him more or less. He can't hold Priest's or LJ jocks as far as RB skills anyway.

morphius
09-06-2005, 08:32 PM
I saw this pic and it was kind of a cool flashback...

VonneMarie
09-06-2005, 08:32 PM
I was just thinking, shut up bitch! You don't know anything. :cuss:

bobbything
09-06-2005, 09:16 PM
One thing KC does well is confuse the defense at the line of scrimmage.
This is why I predict the Jets playing a bunch of cover 2. Especially since it's the first game of the season. KC's offense is good, not necessarily because they line up and beat you one on one (see this preseason), but because of the confusion created at the line of scrimmage.

I like our changes so long as this defense has improved 5 spots. The offense will score its points. I don't see any defense holding KC to under 20 at home. However, I cringe to think of the possible outcome of all the blitzing that will occur this Sunday by Gunther.

I don't anticipate watching Saunders call a bunch of running plays off the left or right side. NY is a very, very fast east/west defensive team. Look for some up-the-gut draws and TONS of play action to Gonzalez.

Oh God, I'm hard now.