PDA

View Full Version : FEMA: "Americans don't sleep in tents (so we aren't setting up tent cities)"

jAZ
09-06-2005, 03:17 PM
Tim Russert drops a bomb on Imus:

FEMA was warned to set up tent cities outside NO to house the 100's of thousands of evacuees before Katrina or risk 10,000 dead. They refused by saying "American's don't sleep in tents".

http://movies.crooksandliars.com/Imus-Russert-Katrina.wmv

Patriot 21
09-06-2005, 03:21 PM
Too bad they'd have never made it to the tent cities cause their busses were under water.

:whackit:

A circus tent in 100 mph winds, yeah, that's where I'd wanna be evacuated to.

jAZ
09-06-2005, 03:23 PM
Too bad they'd have never made it to the tent cities cause their busses were under water.

A circus tent in 100 mph winds, yeah, that's where I'd wanna be evacuated to.

Listen to yourself... better dead than in a tent.

That's insane.

Keep your word. Stop posting in the DC. Please.

dirk digler
09-06-2005, 04:03 PM
Hey Jaz can I ask you a question? Why don't you make 1 thread about all of your complaints instead of making 3 that are basically about the same thing.

Just a suggestion. Carry on.

Radar Chief
09-06-2005, 04:12 PM
Tim Russert drops a bomb on Imus:

FEMA was warned to set up tent cities outside NO to house the 100's of thousands of evacuees before Katrina or risk 10,000 dead. They refused by saying "American's don't sleep in tents".

http://movies.crooksandliars.com/Imus-Russert-Katrina.wmv

And Coleman stock just dropped through the basement with that shocking news.

Logical
09-06-2005, 06:00 PM

That's insane.

Keep your word. Stop posting in the DC. Please.I must add to this that if that is the sort of nonsense you are going to post Patriot 21, you won't be missed. That was moronic.

|Zach|
09-06-2005, 06:03 PM
I must add to this that if that is the sort of nonsense you are going to post Patriot 21, you won't be missed. That was moronic.
Its like Area 51 and Electric had a baby then named in Patriot 21.

alnorth
09-06-2005, 06:25 PM

That's insane.

Keep your word. Stop posting in the DC. Please.

I think you need to listen to yourself, or read what you posted a bit clearer. Some nimrod suggested to FEMA that they set up tents just outside of N.O. before the hurricane hits? Are you effin kidding me? Being in a tent = being dead, ship me off to the superdome, please.

Granted, if that was indeed a responce from a FEMA spokesman, it was silly and probably off the cuff, but they had what appears to me a perfectly obvious reason why setting up tents in front of a freakin Cat 4 hurricane was a bad idea.

Now if FEMA refused to set up tents AFTER the hurricane passed maybe youd have a point, but not a good one since we were flying people to more solid shelters anyway.

Patriot 21 didnt make his point eloquently, but hidden in that brief post was a pretty good rebuttal of the OP.

Logical
09-06-2005, 06:36 PM
I think you need to listen to yourself, or read what you posted a bit clearer. Some nimrod suggested to FEMA that they set up tents just outside of N.O. before the hurricane hits? Are you effin kidding me? Being in a tent = being dead, ship me off to the superdome, please.

Granted, if that was indeed a responce from a FEMA spokesman, it was silly and probably off the cuff, but they had what appears to me a perfectly obvious reason why setting up tents in front of a freakin Cat 4 hurricane was a bad idea.

Now if FEMA refused to set up tents AFTER the hurricane passed maybe youd have a point, but not a good one since we were flying people to more solid shelters anyway.

Patriot 21 didnt make his point eloquently, but hidden in that brief post was a pretty good rebuttal of the OP.You really should have listened to Tim Russert in the link, it is very clear that he says Tent Cities outside the State. Now you just look foolish for agreeing with Patriot 21

vailpass
09-06-2005, 06:38 PM
You really should have listened to Tim Russert in the link, it is very clear that he says Tent Cities outside the State. Now you just look foolish for agreeing with Patriot 21

Would outside the state have included Mississippi or Alabama? Who the hell wants to be in a tent anywhere within 200 miles of a cat 5 hurricane? I sure as hell would not put my family in one (not that we would have been stuck in that predicament to start with; the words "mandatory evacuation" are clear to some of us).

Logical
09-06-2005, 06:43 PM
Would outside the state have included Mississippi or Alabama? Who the hell wants to be in a tent anywhere within 200 miles of a cat 5 hurricane? I sure as hell would not put my family in one (not that we would have been stuck in that predicament to start with; the words "mandatory evacuation" are clear to some of us).Not a mind reader but northern Mississippi, northern Alabama would both have been fine.

alnorth
09-06-2005, 06:50 PM
You really should have listened to Tim Russert in the link, it is very clear that he says Tent Cities outside the State. Now you just look foolish for agreeing with Patriot 21

Then perhaps jAZ needs to listen to his own clip as well, because his OP seems pretty clear to me that he is argueing for FEMA to set up tents right outside NO. You wouldnt even want to be in a car right outside NO, much less a tent.

Lets set that aside for the moment, whats the point of the post? To suggest that setting up tents way the hell outside the state would have saved lives, right? How could you possibly reach that conclusion when they couldnt even evac them all to the superdome, when the mayor decided to blithely ignore his city's own evacuation plan and leave many of the city school buses idle when the evac plan clearly spelled out that they should be used to transport the poor to the superdome. At this point its not even the fed's responsibility, its up to the city and state to evacuate, and they waited too long to even call for the evacuation, figuring they would tough it out and ignore their own planning.

On top of that, you had thousands who adamantly refused to leave. They wont be saved regardless of what the mayor says, what the state does, or what concert Bush tries to play at. Those idiots are gone regardless.

Now ignoring that, seriously think about your attempt at rebutting me. Your trying to argue that being in a tent in another state was better than the superdome in terms of saving lives. How so? The superdome was fine for the purpose of weathering the storm. There is no way in heaven, earth, or hell that you could transport 10's of thousands of people out of the state on those jammed roads easier than you could transport them to the superdome.

Seriously, I think your in kneejerk blame Bush mode without completely considering it, because youve lately felt a need to establish your independant voter cred.

Patriot 21
09-07-2005, 04:34 AM
I must add to this that if that is the sort of nonsense you are going to post Patriot 21, you won't be missed. That was moronic.

Listen sh!t stain. Within my post was a very sound rebutal. I stated the the busses to transport people to the tent cities were underwater. I also stated that a circus tent in 100 mile an hour winds would be futile.

jAZeera posted with nothing to refute either item that I brought up, just a veiled personal attack, it wasn't worth responding to, thus I made no response.

Now, back on topic, you mentioned the tent cities would be built out of state. As was so eloquently asked by vailpass, where? You stated Northern Mississippi or Alabama would have been fine.

Well, how bout Memphis, Tenn? Maybe Nashville, Tenn? That's far north of the damage right? Before you answer that you better do a little checking.

I'm not gonna argue that with you at all, if you can't see the malady of your weak argument you aren't worth discussing it with at all.

And as far as the personal attack about leaving, I have no idea where that came from. Something jAZeera dreamed up in his head I guess. Frankly, take a long look at yourself Jim, you have become sadly out of touch with anything that would appear main-stream. You would likely be the one that wouldn't be missed around here.

alnorth
09-07-2005, 08:04 AM
Ohhhkay. Your on your own, Patriot 21. Vlad may be misled at times, but he means well. He's fun to debate with and a good guy, I'm not putting that at risk by defending you anymore.

|Zach|
09-07-2005, 08:10 AM
I'm not putting that at risk by defending you anymore.
He makes it waaay to hard.

Patriot 21
09-07-2005, 08:41 AM
Ohhhkay. Your on your own, Patriot 21. Vlad may be misled at times, but he means well. He's fun to debate with and a good guy, I'm not putting that at risk by defending you anymore.

Nooo problem alnorth. I'll prolly survive!;)

Actually, I feel the same way about Vlad, we even used to be allies. His act though is just that, an act to draw in posters. There's no way that the dude actually believes all the stupid sh!t he's been posting lately.:D

He is actually sounding more like islamofacistme than she is.

jcl-kcfan2
09-07-2005, 09:37 AM
Not a mind reader but northern Mississippi, northern Alabama would both have been fine.

Cool, in a tent for a possible deludge of a storm with tornadoes and all.

We have to wait for after the storm to set-up, we don't know, with any certainty, beforehand which way it is going to go.

So, you want 100,000 people in tents in the middle of a tropical storm?

Iowanian
09-07-2005, 09:58 AM
FEMA is making some huge blunders, that is for sure, but I'm trying to see the big picture.

* IF FEMA had rushed in, 3 days prior to the CAT5 Hurricane and put up thousands of tents, cots et al, and the hurricane winds had destroyed 90% of them, the leftotards would be throwing a tizzy about how foolish it was to put up a tent city in a hurricane.

Immediate Blame keeps getting directed towards the Feds and Bush, but lets recall the chain of command for things like this....

It usually starts with First responders, when there is a traumatic event in a community...Volunteer Firefighters, EMT, Fire Dept, Local Police et al..... >Then, Local officials step in to help coordinate and make requests up the food chain > The local officials can request State assistance.....(see governor)...have the authority to dispatch the state's national guard, state police et al........who can then request assistance from the Feds.

The First Severe lapse was caused by mother nature....the bitch rendered the First link in the assistance chain helpless, by taking out the homes, supplies, materials, communications and access to the first line of defense....the first responders were just as fooked as the residents, because they WERE residents.

The FEDS can't really take much action until its requested, by my understanding.

NO one could have been fully prepared for this incident. This greased pig was dropped by the people who built the city decades ago, the Mayor is an idiot, the governor also was juggling the pig, that was fumbled when tossed to FEMA.

Its a domino effect, and I think its Foolish to direct the blame at the guy on top.

While I'm at it...I think its pretty shitty for oportunists like Jesse Jackson to be trying to insinuate that this is a Race issue. The biggest thing that pisses me off about the comparison of This and 9-11......the attacks on 9-11 didn't have a 90 BLOCK disaster area.....Katrina has a 90,000 square MILE disaster area, with no electricity, infrastructure, access due to floods.........and a million Displaced People. not similar in ANY way.

The fact is, the given the scope of this disaster....there is NO WAY that everyone would be happy with the reaction of the govt and volunteers. Face it....after a tornado, the last steet with the lights back on, always has angry residents. its a No-Win situation for everyone.

gblowfish
09-07-2005, 10:17 AM
FEMA is FUBAR.

My pal Mr. Doggity compiled this list of FEMA stories over the past few days. Taken as a whole, it's amazing these guys can find their butt cheeks with either hand:
Can FEMA do ANYTHING right?

Just take a look at this list:

FEMA won't accept Amtrak's help in evacuations
http://news.ft.com/cms/s/84aa35cc-1da8-11da-b40b-00000e...

FEMA turns away experienced firefighters
http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2005/9/5/105538/7048

FEMA turns back Wal-Mart supply trucks
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/05/national/nationalspec...

FEMA prevents Coast Guard from delivering diesel fuel
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/05/national/nationalspec...

FEMA won't let Red Cross deliver food
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05246/565143.stm

FEMA bars morticians from entering New Orleans
http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=15147862&BRD=...

FEMA blocks 500-boat citizen flotilla from delivering aid
http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2005/9/3/171718/0826

FEMA fails to utilize Navy ship with 600-bed hospital on board
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-0509...

FEMA to Chicago: Send just one truck
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-050902dale...

FEMA turns away generators
http://www.wwltv.com/local/stories/WWLBLOG.ac3fcea.html

FEMA: "First Responders Urged Not To Respond"
http://www.fema.gov/news/newsrelease.fema?id=18470

That last one is real -- not satire but straight from FEMA's website.

Brock
09-07-2005, 10:21 AM
You mean the federal government provides shitty service and does nothing particularly well? I never would have guessed it. Oh wait, I've been saying it for years.

Radar Chief
09-07-2005, 10:25 AM
You mean the federal government provides shitty service and does nothing particularly well? I never would have guessed it. Oh wait, I've been saying it for years.

Almost as if quoted directly from Ronny Reagan. ;)