PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs preseason rant, aka, get something off my chest.

donkhater
09-06-2005, 06:51 PM
I love watching the Chiefs. I really do. I tape their games so that in the off-season I can watch them while I run on the treadmill at work. But...

They tire me out.

All this off season we've heard how their championship window may be closing. Closing? Was it ever open? How can a team that has had 1 (ONE!!!!!) postseason appearance in the last 7 (SEVEN!!!!) years talk so unabashingly about a Super Bowl window?

How about winning a playoff game? How about getting to the playoffs? How about having a freaking winning record for Christ's sake?

Here are some things I wish I could see from Vermiel this season (but, based on the last 4 years, I'm not holding my breath):

1. Stop this incessant complaining about how tough the schedule is. The one thing I did like about Gunther as head coach was that he would just say, "I don't care who it is, we'll kick their ass up and down the field." Now that didn't usually happen, but it's miles better than making excuses before the season even starts.

2. How about talking about the defense for a change? I realize they've been pretty bad the last few seasons, but it could be becuase they are treated like second-class citizens around One Arrowhead drive.

3. Get some game day brains. The last four seasons have seen some pretty bad in-game decisions. Going for it on 4th down in the Red zone in the first quarter (Texans); not going for it late in the Carolina game; throwing a fade pattern to Gonzo on first and goal at the one(Texans, resulting in an INT for a TD); the Seattle fiasco. I could go on and on. You've been in the league forever. You'd think this would be second hand stuff.

KC has talent. A lot of talent. If healthy, I would stack them against any team in the league. Before training camp I was pumped. BIG time. Now I'm not sure about this team. The explosive offense hasn't gotten the preseason snaps it should have IMO. The pass rush from the DE spot is pretty weak and suspensions and ticky tack injuries have KC kind of sliding sideways into the season. And Vermiel, usually a bastion to optimism seems pretty down on their chances. Way to go, coach!!!

I think KC can get off to a good start. But it wouldn't shock me to see a 0-4 beginning of the season.

chiefs4me
09-06-2005, 07:21 PM
We can say we are going to the SB because we are chiefs fans....:p it takes alot to be a chiefs fan....:banghead: as far as the rest of your post...hope the venting worked...:thumb:

RedDread
09-06-2005, 07:27 PM
The chiefs went 13-3 with a cast and crew that is actually WORSE than what we have now. Granted our schedule was pretty easy and Bill Grigsby even called it after 2002 that '03 would be a banner year.

A lot of things combined to make us go 7-9 last year, but there were times where we just owned teams, and really showed what we were capable of.

I think that a lot of people see us as improved over 2003's team, and with a middle of the road schedule this year, yes we do have a shot of playing in February.

IMHO

Halfcan
09-06-2005, 07:36 PM
Ya I agree with most of what you said donk. DV gets a little indesicive during the game. And quit bitchin about the schedule allready-its tough every year.

I think the offense will be great again. If they try to be the greatest show on turf it will be a mistake though. We should just control the clock by just running it down their throats. You have to be a very balanced team week in a week out to win in the NFL. And we have not been balanced at all. One week, special teams gets a TD to win the game, then kills us with poor kicking (both missed FG's and punting).

The defense hurt us last year in several ways. Points allowed was terrible-without our a great offense we might have finished 3-13.

Another thing was turnovers-we didn't get fumble recoveries like in years past-and coughed it up too many times ourselves. Bell and Johnson should remedy that. And don't forget Knight-that guy is a turnover machine-fumbles and pics.

Hopefully the defense will come out and have an awesome day this Sunday and continue to improve.

It comes down to two big factors. Ability to run the ball, and ability to stop the run. If we can do both of those, everything else will fall into place.

whoman69
09-06-2005, 07:46 PM
This team should have been taken to the top already. We went 13-3 with Robinson coaching the defense. Its going to take part of this season to bleed out the instincts that the players learned under that woeful system. We still have the offensive pieces in place. It looks like the talent is improved enough that we can expect high things for the Chiefs again. Screw lowered expectations. Let's win it all. This is my 36th season watching the Chiefs and I've yet to see them in the Super Bowl. This from a team that won 3 conference championships in the decade previous and was one of the powers of the AFL.

alanm
09-06-2005, 07:47 PM
Relax... If we didn't bitch and moan about our team we'd be..... Well we'd be Bronco fans where everything is coming up roses. Only to get the beatdown in the second half of the season.... Again!! ROFL

keg in kc
09-06-2005, 08:27 PM
I've found that turning off the interviews, turning off the radio shows and not reading the paper makes the game experience that much more enjoyable. Because, truth is, the only thing that really matters is how they play for 3 hours on Sunday. Everything else is just talk.

Skip Towne
09-06-2005, 08:34 PM
This team should have been taken to the top already. We went 13-3 with Robinson coaching the defense. Its going to take part of this season to bleed out the instincts that the players learned under that woeful system. We still have the offensive pieces in place. It looks like the talent is improved enough that we can expect high things for the Chiefs again. Screw lowered expectations. Let's win it all. This is my 36th season watching the Chiefs and I've yet to see them in the Super Bowl. This from a team that won 3 conference championships in the decade previous and was one of the powers of the AFL.
Rookie

greg63
09-06-2005, 09:09 PM

You didn't see them in 1970, Win Super Bowl 4? I do admit it's been a long time, but slightly less the 36 years.

Tuckdaddy
09-06-2005, 09:11 PM
With a very bad defense we were a few first downs and some bad luck away from 4 victories. The bad luck being junk like Hall's fumble in the SD game.

Our defense looks alot better particularly at LB. I see no reason why we can't win our division. Anyone that thinks our offense is slowing down and
won't put up points will be very disappointed.

whoman69
09-06-2005, 09:27 PM
You didn't see them in 1970, Win Super Bowl 4? I do admit it's been a long time, but slightly less the 36 years.
Must be a math major. Started watching during the 1970 season, that's 36 seasons ago. They won the SB the previous year.

jidar
09-06-2005, 09:29 PM
God damn the whining.
It's not so damned bad, Christ.
You could be Arizona fans or Bengals fans or tons of others. How about you suck it up.

kcfanintitanhell
09-06-2005, 09:38 PM
God damn the whining.
It's not so damned bad, Christ.
You could be Arizona fans or Bengals fans or tons of others. How about you suck it up.

Weren't the Bengals in the Super Bowl against San Francisco in '87 or '88?

jidar
09-06-2005, 09:44 PM
I knew someone would say that, but to be a Bengals fan right now, sucks.

greg63
09-06-2005, 09:49 PM
Must be a math major. Started watching during the 1970 season, that's 36 seasons ago. They won the SB the previous year.

OK,

January 11, 1970 New Orleans, LA

greg63
09-06-2005, 09:59 PM
I've found that turning off the interviews, turning off the radio shows and not reading the paper makes the game experience that much more enjoyable. Because, truth is, the only thing that really matters is how they play for 3 hours on Sunday. Everything else is just talk.

Good point. :D

headsnap
09-06-2005, 09:59 PM

actually Bengals fans right now have something to look foward to.

also they ended our undefeated season!!!! :cuss:

tk13
09-06-2005, 10:10 PM
I thought that's why we all watched the NFL, because every team literally has a chance at a Super Bowl. I think we have a chance. Even the Bengals and Cardinals have the chance to suprise and make the playoffs.

I also think it's kinda odd that people don't like that DV is known for "blowing smoke" and being too nice and positive, and before this season he's been more apt to say "well, show me" regarding the offense and defense, he wants to see results. People don't seem to like that either. Seems like everyday DV talks about Bell and DJ and the speed we have on defense, etc, etc. How good the run defense is. People act like DV is an idiot, he knows he has to have a good defense to win, he's been to two Super Bowls with two teams that were very, very good defensively. It's naive to assume he doesn't realize that.

shaneo69
09-06-2005, 10:27 PM

You might want to check the date on your calendar. It's 2005. Since 1998, we've become the team that other teams' fans look at and say, "at least we're not Chiefs fans."

Why would it suck to be a Bengals fan right now? They have a great young QB, a great young RB, two great WR's, a Pro Bowl RT, and a defense that throttled our "explosive" offense back when we were supposedly the best team in the league. They have as good of an outlook this year as we do.