PDA

View Full Version : Proof . Mayor made mistake . Didn't use busses that are now underwater.

chief99
09-06-2005, 09:11 PM
http://www.juiceenewsdaily.com/0605/sports/buses.html?1125879106453

http://www.theconservativevoice.com/articles/article.html?id=8065

memyselfI
09-06-2005, 09:16 PM
Question, who was going to drive those buses with a CAT 4/5 hurricane just hours away?

The National Guard perhaps? Oh yeah, they are driving Humvees in Iraq.

You'll get no pass from me for the Mayor not getting those buses up and running. But, you would need 400 people willing to stay behind while their families left in order for those buses to run. Just how many of those folks making $7.00 an hour would willingly stay behind to drive those buses? Do you think the NG might have been a big help here?

Like I said before, Blanco and Nagin get a big fat "F" for their FAILURE to adequately handle the evacuation before the hurricane hit. But much of the death and destruction came after the hurricane and that is when the Feds are supposed to be running the show...

BigRock
09-06-2005, 09:24 PM
Question, who was going to drive those buses with a CAT 4/5 hurricane just hours away?

The National Guard perhaps? Oh yeah, they are driving Humvees in Iraq.

I had no idea every single enlisted National Guardsman was in Iraq. That's a stunning figure.

memyselfI
09-06-2005, 09:25 PM
I had no idea every single enlisted National Guardsman was in Iraq. That's a stunning figure.

40% of the NG from LA and MS are there. That is quite alot of people to be missing in an emergency.

nychief
09-06-2005, 09:27 PM
Yes it is the Mayor's fault, not anyone with an (R) next to their name. There is plenty of blame to spread around...

nychief
09-06-2005, 09:27 PM
by the way, could you use a reputable news source next time?

unlurking
09-06-2005, 09:28 PM
Just so you no memyselfi, the National Guard falls under the command of the state, NOT the federal government. The fed CAN take control as warranted (such as in Iraq), but there are still several thousand in LA, and it was the LOCAL governments responsibility to deploy them for advanced actions.

BigRock
09-06-2005, 09:31 PM
40% of the NG from LA and MS are there. That is quite alot of people to be missing in an emergency.

So 60% of them were there? 60%???? And you're saying there weren't enough of them to drive some buses? Not a very valid excuse.

memyselfI
09-06-2005, 09:32 PM
Just so you no memyselfi, the National Guard falls under the command of the state, NOT the federal government. The fed CAN take control as warranted (such as in Iraq), but there are still several thousand in LA, and it was the LOCAL governments responsibility to deploy them for advanced actions.

Just so you know, the President can command the NG into action as he did during 9/11. He need not wait for a state official to act. But, both parties have traditionally differed to the State authorities to activate the guard in natural disasters.

nychief
09-06-2005, 09:34 PM
So 60% of them were there? 60%???? And you're saying there weren't enough of them to drive some buses? Not a very valid excuse.

why are they calling on guard from other states then?

unlurking
09-06-2005, 09:39 PM
Just so you know, the President can command the NG into action as he did during 9/11. He need not wait for a state official to act. But, both parties have traditionally differed to the State authorities to activate the guard in natural disasters.
EXACTLY!!!

The local officials should have put the guard into action BEFORE the disaster, not afterwards.

I believe 100% in state's rights to control their own (extremely anti-big gov). The state f*cked up on this one. The state should not have waited for big brother to solve their problems. It's almost like a welfare version of government to wait for someone to help.

memyselfI
09-06-2005, 09:46 PM

I have no idea why the buses were not used. My question was merely pointing out that having buses does not necessarily mean having transportation if there are not drivers to drive them. This is one issue that an inquiry will undoubtedly shed light on.

But, we have learned that the LA Gov. had requested help on 8/26 and apparently some of her requests (like the one approving troops offered by New Mexico) were delayed by paperwork getting stuck in DC. She was offered the NG before the storm but did not get the authorization for them to be granted jurisdiction to police until Thurs...almost a week later. :shake:

We also know that FEMA instructed it's workers it could take up to two days AFTER the hurricane hit to take up their posts in LA.

memyselfI
09-06-2005, 09:47 PM
EXACTLY!!!

The local officials should have put the guard into action BEFORE the disaster, not afterwards.

I believe 100% in state's rights to control their own (extremely anti-big gov). The state f*cked up on this one. The state should not have waited for big brother to solve their problems. It's almost like a welfare version of government to wait for someone to help.

The state requested the Feds assistance on 8/26. The WH is conveniently forgetting to mention this in their haste to make Ms. Blanco the goat.

unlurking
09-06-2005, 10:29 PM
The state requested the Feds assistance on 8/26. The WH is conveniently forgetting to mention this in their haste to make Ms. Blanco the goat.
I've already agreed that the WH f*cked up FEMA, but the state is the FIRST LINE OF DEFENSE in this situation. They f*cked up even more, and should bear the brunt of this responsibility.

I've often distolled on my opinion that Bush is not the debil, just a drunk idiot with a criminal record being controlled by da debil.

At the same time, as a person who believes in state's right to govern, the state of LA proved their incomeptence at being able to do so, which pisses me off more than FEMA incompetence because it simply shows that neither state nor federal gov management has ANY f*cking clue.

This just goes to show that the democratic party is more interested in blaming others, than actually coming up with a solution. THERE SHOULD HAVE BEEN NO NEED FOR FEDERAL INVOLVEMENT PRIOR TO LANDFALL. The death toll could have been SEVERELY minimized if LOCAL government had taken approrpriate actions in the first place.