PDA

View Full Version : Sportscenter to say something about Priest splitting time with LJ

SNR
09-06-2005, 11:01 PM
Haven't seen it, only seen the previews for the upcoming shows.

Out there if anyone is watching ESPN.

EDIT: F*CK!

KCJake
09-06-2005, 11:26 PM
People have this fantasy about a running back by committee. It's just not going to happen. After Priest rips off a 60 yard run, LJ will come in for a few carries. That's it! If Priest stays healthy, LJ rides the pine. 5-8 carry's a game, maybe.

Sure-Oz
09-06-2005, 11:31 PM
rbbc is retarded let priest carry the rock andgive lj carries just to get priest a rest or to finish a game where its in hand.

Simplex3
09-06-2005, 11:52 PM
I used to be all for RBBC or giving it to LJ but ever since I missed my FFL draft and the computer picked up Holmes in the first I'm all for running him all day every day.

Carry on.

htismaqe
09-07-2005, 06:21 AM
People have this fantasy about a running back by committee. It's just not going to happen. After Priest rips off a 60 yard run, LJ will come in for a few carries. That's it! If Priest stays healthy, LJ rides the pine. 5-8 carry's a game, maybe.

Priest won't have any 60-yard runs this year.

In fact, I'll bet he doesn't have any 40-yard runs this year.

penguinz
09-07-2005, 06:46 AM
I bet he does not have any 30-yard runs.

|Zach|
09-07-2005, 06:48 AM
Priest won't have any 60-yard runs this year.

Indeed. I agree.

ZachKC's medal of agreement has been bestowed on this post made my htis now and forever.

http://apollo.sdln.net/exlibris/aleph/u16_1/alephe/www_f_eng/icon/kids_slices/medal.jpg.jpg

siberian khatru
09-07-2005, 06:59 AM
I think they said Priest would be splitting his nachos with LJ this year.

Fire Me Boy!
09-07-2005, 07:15 AM
When was the last time Priest had a 60 yard run? I can't seem to remember him breaking more than about a 35...

:shrug:

tiptap
09-07-2005, 07:30 AM
In Priest's defense there was that long run against SD two years ago opener.
But my take is a historical one. The Coryell offense and the resulting defenses have a history in the NFL. Coryell's running philosophy was to attack the corners, get to the outside in the running game. (Same philosophy as the Wishbone.) Most big plays come from such attacks. It is the homerun philosophy. What developed to conteract this (along with the passing game) was the 3-4 defenses. And that is what we are seeing now. These defenses are meant to funnel the plays back to the middle to avoid the big plays. The result was Dallas football which used big OL to run steadily inbetween tackles and take the occasional shot in the passing game. That is because you take on the 3-4 head on. KC had brought back the Coryell attack at the corner and improved it against 3-4 by double tightend strong side sets. This leads to the stretch plays that sort of moves the line over from the NT on defense. But teams have learned how to jump the seams and get to the RB to stop runs. This means we need one of two things. Either we get a RT play that allows for running to that side as the weak side of formation (not there with Black, maybe with Sampson) or you run the ball straight at the 3-4. Now Priest is much better at the stretch plays but LJ is better suited for the inbetween tackle runs. So I think these are the parameters which should decide which back sees action.

Brock
09-07-2005, 07:31 AM
Why wouldn't you give Johnson a bunch of carries? He's a great young running back.

MichaelH
09-07-2005, 07:40 AM
Why wouldn't you give Johnson a bunch of carries? He's a great young running back.

I agree. If Priest takes the majority of the snaps, he'll be eating nachos by week 8 this year. I'm against a rbbc also, but I think a gameplan should be utilized to use Johnson's talents and also keep Priest fresh and healthy. If Trent get's injured, I say let Larry run for 5 TD's. nobody will stop him.

jspchief
09-07-2005, 07:45 AM
Why wouldn't you give Johnson a bunch of carries? He's a great young running back.Because it will take carries away from the most dangerous RB in the NFL.

I like what I see in LJ, but people seem to be forgetting that Holmes is healthy. I'm in the camp that RBs need to get significant carries to find their groove. Until Holmes shows some sign of slowing down, LJ should be the guy that comes in when Holmes is gassed.

KCJake
09-07-2005, 07:48 AM
How much do you wanna bet?

KCJake
09-07-2005, 07:49 AM
I bet he does not have any 30-yard runs.
Wanna bet?

Brock
09-07-2005, 07:55 AM
Because it will take carries away from the most dangerous RB in the NFL.

I like what I see in LJ, but people seem to be forgetting that Holmes is healthy. I'm in the camp that RBs need to get significant carries to find their groove. Until Holmes shows some sign of slowing down, LJ should be the guy that comes in when Holmes is gassed.

Heh. I guess we'll see which is actually better.

Rukdafaidas
09-07-2005, 08:01 AM
DV has already stated that LJ will get about a third of the carries this year. He said Priest get around 20 - 25 carries and LJ 10 - 12.

Brock
09-07-2005, 08:03 AM
DV has already stated that LJ will get about a third of the carries this year. He said Priest get around 20 - 25 carries and LJ 10 - 12.

I stopped listening to what DV says about 3 years ago.

jspchief
09-07-2005, 08:06 AM
Heh. I guess we'll see which is actually better.Do you realize that in the last three years, Holmes has averaged a TD every 16.5 times he runs the ball? That's the best average in the history of the NFL. What exactly would make you want to replace him?

Brock
09-07-2005, 08:08 AM
Do you realize that in the last three years, Holmes has averaged a TD every 16.5 times he runs the ball? That's the best average in the history of the NFL. What exactly would make you want to replace him?

I don't WANT to replace him. I have just been watching the game long enough to realize that it is inevitable.

morphius
09-07-2005, 08:10 AM
I just want to see what kind of mismatch's we can create with them both in the back field on a couple of plays. Could easily force 8-9 man in a box and hit one of the speed guys on a deep route with a fake hand off and fake toss.

Morphius
daydreamer

foxman
09-07-2005, 08:12 AM
I stopped listening to what DV says about 3 years ago.

This is pretty close to what they said on ESPN. They also showed grandpa Dick saying that he think Priest is every bit the player he has been, but that he feels LJ is the running back of the future and that he will be able to extend Priests career. That's paraphrased.

Either way, as many FF leagues as I am in and much as I enjoy fantasy football, I don't give a rats turd if LJ get's more work so long as they win. Thats the other thing Dick V. stated, all Priest wants to do is win, he isnt worried about being "The Man".

Priest also said he always felt 10 years was what he would play and that leaves him with 2 more years. He has no intention playing past his time.

htismaqe
09-07-2005, 08:25 AM
How much do you wanna bet?

Betting money on here is a waste of time.

Sig bet if you'd like.

penguinz
09-07-2005, 09:35 AM
Wanna bet?
*see the post above this one*

Demonpenz
09-07-2005, 09:57 AM
From what i saw priest was showing the speed of edde george. You have to give those touches to LJ because of his ability to score on that very play where priest would probably get 13 yards are so. At the end of the game when you need first downs i would like to see priest or when it is in the red zone. Between the 20's though if there is a hole open i would rather see a guy hit that hole that has a chance to house it than priest lumbering along and getting dragged down after 15 yards. Inside the red zone though Priest just can wait to hitch a ride on t rich's back.

Lzen
09-07-2005, 10:12 AM
From what i saw priest was showing the speed of edde george. You have to give those touches to LJ because of his ability to score on that very play where priest would probably get 13 yards are so. At the end of the game when you need first downs i would like to see priest or when it is in the red zone. Between the 20's though if there is a hole open i would rather see a guy hit that hole that has a chance to house it than priest lumbering along and getting dragged down after 15 yards. Inside the red zone though Priest just can wait to hitch a ride on t rich's back.

Whoa!! I would agree that Priest has never been a burner. But to compare his speed to Eddie George is kinda ridiculous.

Demonpenz
09-07-2005, 10:15 AM
Whoa!! I would agree that Priest has never been a burner. But to compare his speed to Eddie George is kinda ridiculous.

I was going over board. Anyway no matter what anyone or I say i think the coaches grasp better whats going on. I am just afraid i will be yelling at my TV when there is a hole and a free saftey with no angle takes down priest when i think lj would house it.

Lzen
09-07-2005, 10:50 AM
I was going over board. Anyway no matter what anyone or I say i think the coaches grasp better whats going on. I am just afraid i will be yelling at my TV when there is a hole and a free saftey with no angle takes down priest when i think lj would house it.

Well, of course. But from the way I've heard the coaches speak about LJ, it wouldn't surprise me to see that he gets almost equal the amount of carries this season as Priest gets. They have insinated all preseason that you can't just let a talent like LJ sit on the bench. This is a problem, yes. But definitely a good type of problem. :)

Tuckdaddy
09-07-2005, 11:40 AM
70 td's in 3 years means that Holmes should not be on the bench except to catch a breather.

Skip Towne
09-07-2005, 11:40 AM
This is the year LJ takes over the RB position. Priest is getting too fragile and needs to slow down.

Valiant
09-07-2005, 12:02 PM
Indeed. I agree.

ZachKC's medal of agreement has been bestowed on this post made my htis now and forever.

http://apollo.sdln.net/exlibris/aleph/u16_1/alephe/www_f_eng/icon/kids_slices/medal.jpg.jpg

Thats a lid to a can...

penchief
09-07-2005, 12:14 PM
Do you realize that in the last three years, Holmes has averaged a TD every 16.5 times he runs the ball? That's the best average in the history of the NFL. What exactly would make you want to replace him?

What was LJ's? I'll bet it was just about as good.

Mr. Laz
09-07-2005, 12:16 PM
if Johnson is successful i don't see how it's not a shared carry situation.

ptlyon
09-07-2005, 12:17 PM
This is the year LJ takes over the RB position. Priest is getting too fragile and needs to slow down.

Spoke from expirence I am sure...

Raiderhader
09-07-2005, 12:22 PM
What was LJ's? I'll bet it was just about as good.

Yeah, but Priest's numbers come over the span of a few seasons, LJ's from 1.

Not to say that LJ is not capable of sustaining those numbers, just that he hasn't yet.

bogie
09-07-2005, 12:32 PM
The job belongs to Priest. It's his to lose. He will be given every oppertunity get 1st downs and touch downs. If he doesn't deliver, it's nice to know LJ is in DV's back pocket. But at this point LJ is in DV's back pocket. He should be used to rest Priest. JMO

Chris Meck
09-07-2005, 01:55 PM
Look, we have ridden on Priest Holmes' back for four years. In two of the last three, he's given out before the end of the season. He's a stud horse, but there are only so many miles you can put on one guy (see Marshall Faulk). Limiting Priest to about 20 touches per game will indeed extend his effectiveness. Ten to fifteen touches to LJ will be a GOOD thing.