PDA

View Full Version : Grade my fantasy teams - fire away

Mile High Mania
09-07-2005, 09:37 AM
Ok, I have 2 teams for you to rip into...

Team 1 - this is a 12 team league (non keeper, non TE) and we start 1 QB / 2 RB / 3 WR / 1 K / 1 DEF.

QBs
Jake Delhomme
Carson Palmer

RBs
Domanick Davis
Rudi Johnson
DeShaun Foster (was a nice 3rd option a week ago)
Eric Shelton (handcuff pick gone south, gotta drop him now)
Chester Taylor

I'm not liking my depth here and likely need to get on the horn regarding some trade action.

WRs
Chad Johnson
Darrell Jackson
Isaac Bruce
Eric Moulds
Rod Gardner
Todd Heap
Mike Williams

K
Matt Stover

Def
Bucs

----------------------------------
Team 2 - This is a 10 team keeper league. I kept Steven Jackson (lost my R8 pick) and Peyton Manning (lost my R1 pick). I then traded Manning for top R2 and top R3 picks, so I had two picks in each of those rounds.

QBs
Jake Delhomme
Matt Hasselbeck
Eli Manning (supplemental round flier)

RBs
Jamal Lewis
Rudi Johnson
Steven Jackson
Kevan Barlow
Ryan Moats

WRs
Marvin Harrison
Joe Horn
Isaac Bruce
Chris Chambers
Michael Jenkins
Greg Lewis

K
Vinitieiri

Def
Falcons
--------------

I have a couple of similar players like Delhomme, Rudi and Bruce ... but, that wasn't by design. It just happened. Ok, what do you think?

Demonpenz
09-07-2005, 09:41 AM
i hope delhomme does well i have him on my team but i am not sold on him being a good fantasy pick, but then outside the top 3 it is all a crap shoot

jspchief
09-07-2005, 09:44 AM
Team 1:

Solid RB starters, but you're banking on an injury for your back-ups to matter. Good starting WRs with very solid back-ups. Not sure about QB, I have both those guys on some of my various teams and have high hopes, but feel I could also be let down.

Team 2: Who did you get for Manning? Your QBs are decent, with Hasselbeck being a good starter, but I wonder what you gained by dumping Manning. I assume the full stable at RB and WR are a product of that trade. Good overall team with a few head scratchers.

Mile High Mania
09-07-2005, 09:53 AM
Team 1:

Solid RB starters, but you're banking on an injury for your back-ups to matter. Good starting WRs with very solid back-ups. Not sure about QB, I have both those guys on some of my various teams and have high hopes, but feel I could also be let down.

Team 2: Who did you get for Manning? Your QBs are decent, with Hasselbeck being a good starter, but I wonder what you gained by dumping Manning. I assume the full stable at RB and WR are a product of that trade. Good overall team with a few head scratchers.

Here was my thought process on trading Manning. I won the title last year with a loaded team. I had Delhomme and I would have won the same number of games and the title starting Jake over Manning. I don't like being heavy on 1 player with my team, and since you only start 1 QB and you start 5 others at RB and WR... I thought it would be best to load up on talent early in the draft.

So, I put Manning on the block and the guy gave me his R2 and R3 picks... which wound up being top 20 picks after you account for picks lost for keepers to other teams.

Manning essentially turned into Jamal Lewis and Joe Horn for me in this draft. Looking at it from that perspective, that's a trade I would likely make in the regular season - Manning for those 2 players, knowing I have Delhomme and Hasselbeck waiting in the wings.

The trade allowed me to have 3 strong starters at RB rather than 2 and 4 strong options (especially Harrison and Horn) at WR rather than just 3.

We'll see how it all falls down...

KevB
09-07-2005, 09:57 AM
Here was my thought process on trading Manning. I won the title last year with a loaded team. I had Delhomme and I would have won the same number of games and the title starting Jake over Manning. I don't like being heavy on 1 player with my team, and since you only start 1 QB and you start 5 others at RB and WR... I thought it would be best to load up on talent early in the draft.

So, I put Manning on the block and the guy gave me his R2 and R3 picks... which wound up being top 20 picks after you account for picks lost for keepers to other teams.

Manning essentially turned into Jamal Lewis and Joe Horn for me in this draft. Looking at it from that perspective, that's a trade I would likely make in the regular season - Manning for those 2 players, knowing I have Delhomme and Hasselbeck waiting in the wings.

The trade allowed me to have 3 strong starters at RB rather than 2 and 4 strong options (especially Harrison and Horn) at WR rather than just 3.

We'll see how it all falls down...

Bottom line on Team 2....if you have injuries, you'll be thrilled you made the deal. If you don't, it could go either way. I'm always hesitant to trade an elite starter for depth, despite the quality of the depth. However, with injuries being such a big factor every year it makes some sense.

Mile High Mania
09-07-2005, 09:57 AM
The other thing about Delhomme... he had a fantastic season last year with no stable running game and essentially only Muhsin lighting it up down the stretch at WR.

This year, should Davis/Foster stay healthy, the ground game can be effective. They lost Muhsin, but they get Steve Smith back and they have Colbert and Rod Gardner. I really like that trio of WRs.

Last season, Delhomme broke out with just shy of 3,900 passing yards - 29 TDs and 15 INTs. I'll take that kind of production again and if the RBs and WRs stay healthy, I should do well.

If Jake falters, then I always have Hasselbeck sitting there with a decent core of receivers.

Phobia
09-07-2005, 09:58 AM
Team 1: Suck
Team 2: Suck

You think I can get a job writing commentary at pigskinsanity?

Mile High Mania
09-07-2005, 09:59 AM
Bottom line on Team 2....if you have injuries, you'll be thrilled you made the deal. If you don't, it could go either way. I'm always hesitant to trade an elite starter for depth, despite the quality of the depth. However, with injuries being such a big factor every year it makes some sense.

Yeah, that's part of the risk, but I don't look at the trade as improving my depth as much as I see it improving the quality of my starters. It's hard to beat a trio of WRs like Harrison, Horn and Bruce.

Mile High Mania
09-07-2005, 09:59 AM
Team 1: Suck
Team 2: Suck

You think I can get a job writing commentary at pigskinsanity?

Possibly, but you have to try to hold back on the detail... it's just too thick. :clap: