PDA

View Full Version : A CNN/USA Today/Gallup poll: Only 13% Blame Bush?

Michael Michigan
09-07-2005, 09:59 AM
Haven't looked for the full poll yet...

http://www.drudgereport.com/flash.htm

CNNUSATODAYGALLUP POLL: ONLY 13% BLAME BUSH?
Wed Sep 07 2005 10:42:26 ET

A CNN/USA Today/Gallup poll of 609 adults taken September 5-6 shows:

Blame Game -- 13% said George W. Bush is "most responsible for the problems in New Orleans after the hurricane"; 18% said "federal agencies"; 25% said "state and local officials"; 38% said "no one is to blame"; 6% had no opinion. -- 29% said that "top officials in the federal agencies responsible for handling emergencies should be fired"; 63% said they should not; 8% had no opinion.

MORE

Government Performance -- 10% said George W. Bush has done a "great" job in "responding to the hurricane and subsequent flooding"; 25% said "good"; 21% said "neither good nor bad"; 18% said "bad"; 24% said "terrible"; 2% had no opinion. -- 8% said federal government agencies responsible for handling emergencies have done a "great" job in "responding to the hurricane and subsequent flooding"; 27% said "good"; 20% said "neither good nor bad"; 20% said "bad"; 22% said "terrible"; 3% had no opinion. -- 7% said state and local officials in Louisiana have done a "great" job in "responding to the hurricane and subsequent flooding"; 30% said "good"; 23% said "neither good nor bad"; 20% said "bad"; 15% said "terrible"; 5% had no opinion.

Brock
09-07-2005, 10:00 AM
oops

StcChief
09-07-2005, 10:28 AM
[gomer pyle]surprise, surprise, surprise[/gomer pyle]

Michael Michigan
09-07-2005, 10:33 AM
Here's the link:

http://www.gallup.com/poll/content/?ci=18412

When asked to identify who was most responsible for the problems in New Orleans after the hurricane, 38% of Americans said no one was really to blame, while 13% cited Bush, 18% the federal agencies, and 25% state and local officials.

Who do you think is MOST responsible for the problems in New Orleans after the hurricane -- [ROTATED: George W. Bush, federal agencies, (or) state and local officials], or is no one really to blame?

Iowanian
09-07-2005, 10:33 AM
oooops!

Dubya is the Debil!

Loki
09-07-2005, 10:36 AM
i'm just curious...

where are the classes for:
"worst hurricane in American history preparedness 101" ?

blaming the president for this is retarded.

Taco John
09-07-2005, 10:50 AM
Hey Michigan,

I'm curious what your reaction to the criticism of the Bush Administration cutting the FEMA budget during his term? I've seen plenty of evidence of that, and even more criticism of FEMA by republican officials than by democrats. I'm curious to get your response to the idea that Bush may have some culpability in the slow reaction via his budget policies.

Warrior5
09-07-2005, 11:06 AM
This poll is surprising to say the least. Not doubting your source or you, but the poll results just appear to be completely inconsistent with what's on news, radio, Oprah, etc., not to mention our own version of Pigskin Park.

I'll be curious to see other polls in the coming days.

Simplex3
09-07-2005, 11:07 AM
Hey Michigan,

I'm curious what your reaction to the criticism of the Bush Administration cutting the FEMA budget during his term? I've seen plenty of evidence of that, and even more criticism of FEMA by republican officials than by democrats. I'm curious to get your response to the idea that Bush may have some culpability in the slow reaction via his budget policies.
The only slow reaction was on the part of NO, it's citizens, and the state of LA who were told for decades to get an evacuation plan together and they did nothing. Then, with DAYS of advanced warning before the hurricane hit, they did nothing.

Now they're all so busy bitching about everyone else's shortcomings to the media they STILL aren't getting anything done. Dumbasses.

Michael Michigan
09-07-2005, 11:22 AM
Hey Michigan,

No question they have some culpability.

As far as budget cuts, I'd say they haven't cut enough.

This pretty much proves that billions of dollars for a massive bureaucracy doesn't equal success, no matter what the crisis.

Didn't you learn that in Libertarian 101?

beavis
09-07-2005, 11:41 AM
This poll is surprising to say the least. Not doubting your source or you, but the poll results just appear to be completely inconsistent with what's on news, radio, Oprah, etc., not to mention our own version of Pigskin Park.
Now why would that be? :hmmm:

beavis
09-07-2005, 11:42 AM
If it wasn't in the talking points on the website he visited, he doesn't know it.

Chief Henry
09-07-2005, 11:45 AM
[QUOTE=Simplex3]The only slow reaction was on the part of NO, it's citizens, and the state of LA who were told for decades to get an evacuation plan together and they did nothing. Then, with DAYS of advanced warning before the hurricane hit, they did nothing.

Can you beleave the govenor and the Mayor all looking like DEER in headlights. No one thought to get the Metro buses and school buses rolling to evacuate the POOOOOOOOR.

Now they're all so busy bitching about everyone else's shortcomings to the media they STILL aren't getting anything done. Dumbasses.

WHile the media stears these dumbass's towards making negative comments towards President Bush

REP to you simplex. All of the news media has done their best to make the President the scapegoat. To bad for them. Some of the LWNJ Dums on this board should take note.

memyselfI
09-07-2005, 11:47 AM

I'll be curious to see other polls in the coming days.

Well it certainly explains why the WH is in major spin mode...they want to make sure these numbers don't change with the release of new news that does indicate cupability with them or their underlings. :hmmm:

Chief Henry
09-07-2005, 11:52 AM
Well it certainly explains why the WH is in major spin mode...they want to make sure these numbers don't change with the release of new news that does indicate cupability with them or their underlings. :hmmm:

:LOL:

BWWWAAAAAAAHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Mr. Kotter
09-07-2005, 11:54 AM
yup.....12-13%.....that's about right.

Moonbats. Heh.

Uatu
09-07-2005, 12:07 PM
People with common sense know that the responsibility rests primarily with state and local officials.

penchief
09-07-2005, 12:27 PM
There is another way to look at it. Throw out all of those who think no one is responsible and those who have no opinion.

Then combine those who blame the federal government with those who blame Bush (fundamentally the same). What you have then is 31% who blame the federal government and 25% who blame state and local officials.

Then, if you take only those who blame the government, 55% blame the federal government while 45% blame the state and local governments.

Brock
09-07-2005, 12:28 PM
There is another way to look at it. Throw out all of those who think no one is responsible and those who have no opinion.

In other words, disregard certain data to make it fit your agenda. Hmmm, where have I heard about that before? Wonder, wonder....

penchief
09-07-2005, 12:34 PM
In other words, disregard certain data to make it fit your agenda. Hmmm, where have I heard about that before? Wonder, wonder....

You should quote the entire post. A larger percentage of those who blame the government blame the federal government moreso than the local government.

My guess is that most people who don't have an opinion or those who are saying that it was nobody's fault are blaming the hurricane instead of the government. Once they start blaming the government more of them blame the federal government than the state and local government.

That's just a fact.

Brock
09-07-2005, 12:37 PM
You should quote the entire post. A larger percentage of those who blame the government blame the federal government moreso than the local government.

My guess is that most people who don't have an opinion or those who are saying that it was nobody's fault are blaming the hurricane instead of the government. Once they start blaming the government more of them blame the federal government than the state and local government.

That's just a fact.

A lot of guessing and assuming going on there, and "that's just a fact" looks like a big fat ironic cherry on top.

penchief
09-07-2005, 12:39 PM
People with common sense know that the responsibility rests primarily with state and local officials.

If you take that 25% who blame the state and local officials, how many do you believe blame the state and how many do you believe blame the local politicians? Either way it's 25%.

Now if you combine those who blame Bush with those who blame the federal government you come up with 31%. Either way the buck stops with Bush. The wording of the poll was poorly constructed.

The bottom line?

Federal government: 31%.
State and local governments: 25%

mlyonsd
09-07-2005, 12:53 PM
If you take that 25% who blame the state and local officials, how many do you believe blame the state and how many do you believe blame the local politicians? Either way it's 25%.

Now if you combine those who blame Bush with those who blame the federal government you come up with 31%. Either way the buck stops with Bush. The wording of the poll was poorly constructed.

The bottom line?

Federal government: 31%.
State and local governments: 25%

I think the purpose of this poll is to show that the buck doesn't stop with Bush and only 13% of the people of whatever total that blame the federal government think it's Bush's fault.

That's quite a significant number if true.

Brock
09-07-2005, 12:57 PM
I think the purpose of this poll is to show that the buck doesn't stop with Bush and only 13% of the people of whatever total that blame the federal government think it's Bush's fault.

That's quite a significant number if true.

But...but....those who had no opinion, IF they had an opinion, WOULD blame Bush IF they didn't blame the state government....

penchief
09-07-2005, 02:41 PM
But...but....those who had no opinion, IF they had an opinion, WOULD blame Bush IF they didn't blame the state government....

But.....but.....you're missing the point. IMO, it is flawed logic to cite this poll as proof that those who blame the federal government (or even Bush) are completely off their rocker.

Regardless of how you cut it, more people blame the federal government than they do anybody else. That certainly doesn't exonerate Bush's performance. And even if you only wanted to say that one out of every three people in this country blames the federal government that's nothing to be proud of.

Donger
09-07-2005, 02:44 PM

Then combine those who blame the federal government with those who blame Bush (fundamentally the same). What you have then is 31% who blame the federal government and 25% who blame state and local officials.

Then, if you take only those who blame the government, 55% blame the federal government while 45% blame the state and local governments.

Wow. This event has really thrown you into the fringe, penchief.

alanm
09-07-2005, 02:46 PM
Haven't looked for the full poll yet...

http://www.drudgereport.com/flash.htm

CNNUSATODAYGALLUP POLL: ONLY 13% BLAME BUSH?
Wed Sep 07 2005 10:42:26 ET

A CNN/USA Today/Gallup poll of 609 adults taken September 5-6 shows:

Blame Game -- 13% said George W. Bush is "most responsible for the problems in New Orleans after the hurricane"; 18% said "federal agencies"; 25% said "state and local officials"; 38% said "no one is to blame"; 6% had no opinion. -- 29% said that "top officials in the federal agencies responsible for handling emergencies should be fired"; 63% said they should not; 8% had no opinion.

MORE

Government Performance -- 10% said George W. Bush has done a "great" job in "responding to the hurricane and subsequent flooding"; 25% said "good"; 21% said "neither good nor bad"; 18% said "bad"; 24% said "terrible"; 2% had no opinion. -- 8% said federal government agencies responsible for handling emergencies have done a "great" job in "responding to the hurricane and subsequent flooding"; 27% said "good"; 20% said "neither good nor bad"; 20% said "bad"; 22% said "terrible"; 3% had no opinion. -- 7% said state and local officials in Louisiana have done a "great" job in "responding to the hurricane and subsequent flooding"; 30% said "good"; 23% said "neither good nor bad"; 20% said "bad"; 15% said "terrible"; 5% had no opinion.

Looks like most of the negative people are here on this board.

Chief Henry
09-07-2005, 02:53 PM
Looks like most of the negative people are here on this board.

They are and they hate the President. It sux to be them because they have no life.

Brock
09-07-2005, 02:56 PM
And even if you only wanted to say that one out of every three people in this country blames the federal government that's nothing to be proud of.

Right. And I guess winning the presidency 51-49 is nothing to be proud of either. Face it, there are a lot of bitter people in this country who are looking for anything they can to blame Bush for. You should know, you're one of them.

alanm
09-07-2005, 02:57 PM
They are and they hate the President. It sux to be them because they have no life.
Liberals and democrats aren't happy unless people are suffering. You gotta have something to point your finger at. Course they have no plan of action to do anything about it.

tk13
09-07-2005, 03:14 PM
This is a great example of political extremism in this country. Froming reading that poll, and this thread, seems like we either have to pin this all on Bush, or pin this solely on local officials. As often happens, the truth is actually in the middle, and both sides are wrong, because every level of government has failed at one point or another here.

My answer to the poll would be "everybody". Where is that on the poll? It took an alignment of all the right people doing all the wrong things from the bottom all the way to the top that created this mess.

Donger
09-07-2005, 03:21 PM
This is a great example of political extremism in this country. Froming reading that poll, and this thread, seems like we either have to pin this all on Bush, or pin this solely on local officials. As often happens, the truth is actually in the middle, and both sides are wrong, because every level of government has failed at one point or another here.

My answer to the poll would be "everybody". Where is that on the poll? It took an alignment of all the right people doing all the wrong things from the bottom all the way to the top that created this mess.

Well said.

This was a classic government clusterf*ck. And by government, I do not dismiss any of them, from Bush to Nagin. And, people would be well advised to remember that if you depend on your government to save you, you may be in for a severe disappointment.

Brock
09-07-2005, 03:22 PM
Well said.

This was a classic government clusterf*ck. And by government, I do not dismiss any of them, from Bush to Nagin. And, people would be well advised to remember that if you depend on your government to save you, you may be in for a severe disappointment.

You'd think they would have learned that on 9/11. I guess not.

Loki
09-07-2005, 04:21 PM

KEYWORDS:
----------
"common sense"

some have it, others...
right.

Taco John
09-07-2005, 06:40 PM
No question they have some culpability.

As far as budget cuts, I'd say they haven't cut enough.

This pretty much proves that billions of dollars for a massive bureaucracy doesn't equal success, no matter what the crisis.

Actually, the tenets of Libertarianism charge that the Government's number one task is to protect it's citizens.

Hiring a failed horse show ring master to be the number one man in charge of response to national disasters counts as failing to protect the people.

Taco John
09-07-2005, 06:48 PM

I think that's bullshit...

The responsibility up to the disaster certainly fell on state and local. But the destruction of a city is a national disaster, not just a local one. The local government definitely fell short. The federal government did too.

People with common sense know that both share a hell of a lot of blame.

BigOlChiefsfan
09-07-2005, 08:20 PM
Roughly 13% of the country probably root for the damn Broncos and Raiders as well.

Coincidence? I think not.

Logical
09-07-2005, 08:25 PM
I heard the 609 respondents were Federal workers.;)

penchief
09-08-2005, 08:01 PM
Two new polls out today that paint an entirely different picture.

BigOlChiefsfan
09-09-2005, 06:44 AM
By Newton Emerson- Irish Times

As the full horror of Hurricane Katrina sinks in, thousands of desperate columnists are asking if this is the end of George Bush's presidency. The answer is almost certainly yes, provided that every copy of the US Constitution was destroyed in the storm. Otherwise President Bush will remain in office until noon on January 20th, 2009, as required by the 20th Amendment, after which he is barred from seeking a third term anyway under the 22nd Amendment.

As the full horror of this sinks in, thousands of desperate columnists are asking if the entire political agenda of George Bush's second term will not still be damaged in some terribly satisfying way.

The answer is almost certainly yes, provided that the entire political agenda of George Bush's second term consists of repealing the 22nd Amendment. Otherwise, with a clear Republican majority in both Houses of Congress, he can carry on doing pretty much whatever he likes.

As the full horror of this sinks in, thousands of desperate columnists are asking if the Republican Party itself will now suffer a setback at the congressional mid-term elections next November.

The answer is almost certainly yes, provided that people outside the disaster zone punish their local representatives for events elsewhere a year previously, both beyond their control and outside their remit, while people inside the disaster zone reward their local representatives for an ongoing calamity they were supposed to prevent. Otherwise, the Democratic Party will suffer a setback at the next congressional election.

As the full horror of this sinks in, thousands of desperate columnists are asking if an official inquiry will shift the blame for poor planning and inadequate flood defences on to the White House. The answer is almost certainly yes, provided nobody admits that emergency planning is largely the responsibility of city and state agencies, and nobody notices that the main levee which broke was the only levee recently modernised with federal funds. Otherwise, an official inquiry will pin most of the blame on the notoriously corrupt and incompetent local governments of New Orleans and Louisiana.

As the full horror of this sinks in, thousands of desperate columnists are asking if George Bush contributed to the death toll by sending so many national guard units to Iraq.

The answer is almost certainly yes, provided nobody recalls that those same columnists have spent the past two years blaming George Bush for another death toll by not sending enough national guard units to Iraq. Otherwise, people might wonder why they have never previously read a single article advocating large-scale military redeployment during the Caribbean hurricane season.

As the full horror of this sinks in, thousands of desperate columnist are asking how a civilised city can descend into anarchy.

The answer is that only a civilised city can descend into anarchy.

As the full horror of this sinks in, thousands of desperate columnists are asking if George Bush should be held responsible for the terrible poverty in the southern states revealed by the flooding.

The answer is almost certainly yes, provided nobody holds Bill Clinton responsible for making Mississippi the poorest state in the union throughout his entire term as president, or for making Arkansas the second-poorest state in the union throughout his entire term as governor. Otherwise, people might suspect that it is a bit more complicated than that.

As the full horror of this sinks in, thousands of desperate columnists are asking if George Bush should not be concerned by accusations of racism against the federal government.

The answer is almost certainly yes, provided nobody remembers that Jesse Jackson once called New York "Hymietown" and everybody thinks Condoleezza Rice went shopping for shoes when the hurricane struck because she cannot stand black people.

Otherwise sensible Americans of all races will be more concerned by trite, cynical and dangerous political opportunism.

As the full horror of that sinks in, this columnist is simply glad that everybody cares.

memyselfI
09-09-2005, 07:35 AM
Two new polls out today that paint an entirely different picture.

Make that four with the new CBS News poll.