PDA

View Full Version : Proposed: When Willie Roaf retires, he should...

Braincase
09-07-2005, 09:43 AM
go into the Ring at Arrowhead, but go into the HOF as a Saint.

I know it's his choice, but I think even today, for many of us we recognize the big man as a Saint who joined the Chiefs, rather than a Chief who entered the league as a Saint. The whole situation with New Orleans ought to reinforce the need for the New Orleans legacy.

That said, he deserves to go into the ring with Will, Priest, Tony and Trent.

htismaqe
09-07-2005, 09:44 AM
I don't know. IF the Chiefs should win a Super Bowl, I think the guy will always be remember as a Chief.

morphius
09-07-2005, 09:46 AM
I don't know. IF the Chiefs should win a Super Bowl, I think the guy will always be remember as a Chief.
Yup, that sort of determins ones legacy.

Taco John
09-07-2005, 10:02 AM
Roaf is one of my favorite offensive linemen in the league, but I'd be suprised to see him make the HOF.

htismaqe
09-07-2005, 10:04 AM
Roaf is one of my favorite offensive linemen in the league, but I'd be suprised to see him make the HOF.

The sheer number of Pro Bowls he's been to all but assures it, considering who the other OT's in the Hall are...

Ari Chi3fs
09-07-2005, 10:05 AM

http://www.bbs.jeditrainer.com/images/smiles/a11.gif

The Bad Guy
09-07-2005, 10:07 AM

You've said some dumb things on this board, but this might take the cake.

Taco John
09-07-2005, 10:10 AM
It's so hard for an offensive linemen to make the HOF. Doubting any offensive lineman will make it is hardly dumb.

Brock
09-07-2005, 10:12 AM
It's so hard for an offensive linemen to make the HOF. Doubting any offensive lineman will make it is hardly dumb.

Zimmerman was a finalist. Roaf will certainly go in.

Taco John
09-07-2005, 10:16 AM
Zimmerman was a finalist. Roaf will certainly go in.

Zimmerman was a starting left tackle on a Superbowl winning team after multiple pro-bowls and he was only a finalist. It's very hard for offensive linemen to make it in.

Brock
09-07-2005, 10:21 AM
Zimmerman was a starting left tackle on a back to back Superbowl winner after multiple pro-bowls and he was only a finalist. It's very hard for offensive linemen to make it in.

Dan Dierdorf didn't play in any Super Bowls. That's pretty much irrelevant.

Rain Man
09-07-2005, 10:22 AM

This is surprising. How would a guy with 10 pro bowls NOT make the HoF?

And before you mention Gary Zimmerman, he only has 7 pro bowls. Seven is borderline HoF, ten can't be ignored, and I think he'll have two or three more by the time he retires.

Rain Man
09-07-2005, 10:23 AM
Wow. By the time I typed my post, Zimmerman had been mentioned 82 times.

Zimmerman was good, but he's no Roaf. And I would've said that back when Zimmerman was a Viking and Roaf was a Saint.

Taco John
09-07-2005, 10:24 AM
This is surprising. How would a guy with 10 pro bowls NOT make the HoF?

And before you mention Gary Zimmerman, he only has 7 pro bowls. Seven is borderline HoF, ten can't be ignored, and I think he'll have two or three more by the time he retires.

Is it ten? I stand corrected. I figured him for at least 7.

Braincase
09-07-2005, 10:24 AM

TJ, sometimes you throw out some gems, and sometimes you throw out some turds. This one falls into the latter category. Some folks think the only other OT that compares to Willie is Anthony Munoz. I think that is pretty damn impressive.

ptlyon
09-07-2005, 10:27 AM
Wow. By the time I typed my post, Zimmerman had been mentioned 82 times.

Y o u
t y p e
s l o w

beavis
09-07-2005, 10:28 AM
TJ, sometimes you throw out some gems, and sometimes you throw out some turds. This one falls into the latter category. Some folks think the only other OT that compares to Willie is Anthony Munoz. I think that is pretty damn impressive.
TJ's prediction that he won't make it erases any doubt in my mind that he would.

Ari Chi3fs
09-07-2005, 10:34 AM
Taco John said Roaf is his favorite... i was most surprised by that.

Braincase
09-07-2005, 10:36 AM
Zimmerman was a starting left tackle on a Superbowl winning team after multiple pro-bowls and he was only a finalist. It's very hard for offensive linemen to make it in.

Roaf = 10 Probowls, Zimmerman = 7. The Denver* Superbowl victories actually work against Zimmerman due to the salary-cap violations.

Willie gets in on the first ballot.

Rain Man
09-07-2005, 10:47 AM
On an aside, I'm still agog that Merlin Olsen made 14 pro bowls. That's absolutely amazing.

vckcchiefs04
09-07-2005, 10:57 AM
Your right..... why would one of the best OL of all time go into the hall of fame? :rolleyes:

ptlyon
09-07-2005, 11:00 AM
On an aside, I'm still agog that Merlin Olsen made 14 pro bowls. That's absolutely amazing.

Are you kidding me? Did you see him kick that Russians @$$ on Little Fairy in the Prairie?