PDA

View Full Version : International Cuisine

dirk digler
09-07-2005, 12:26 PM
What are some of your favorite non-American food places to eat? I am really starting to enjoy alot of different foods and places to eat.

I am also looking at trying Indian and if anyone knows of good place to eat in KC that serves Indian please let me know.

1. Nikko's Japanese Steak house
2. Tasso's Greek Restaurant
3. Olive Garden ?

Brock
09-07-2005, 12:27 PM
3. Olive Garden ?

Aaaaauuuugh!

dirk digler
09-07-2005, 12:33 PM
Aaaaauuuugh!

Is that good or bad?

Rain Man
09-07-2005, 12:34 PM
Indian food is great, if you get the right stuff. You can't go wrong with a korma.

About the only international food I don't like is most Korean (too much hot pepper) except for bulgogi, and some of the eastern European/Russian stuff is just flat-out bland.

Rain Man
09-07-2005, 12:35 PM
Is that good or bad?

Reading between the lines, I think Brock is recommending that you get your Italian food experiences at small mom and pop places rather than a big chain.

dirk digler
09-07-2005, 12:39 PM
Reading between the lines, I think Brock is recommending that you get your Italian food experiences at small mom and pop places rather than a big chain.

I have. I still like their food though especially their salad and breadsticks.

Garozzos(sp) and Cascone's come to mind.

Thanks for the tip on Indian food.

Otter
09-07-2005, 12:41 PM

If you can't picture a bunch of mobsters back in the corner drinking red wine out of a gallon jug and ripping apart a loaf of bread with thier bare hands while planning thier next caper it's not really an Italian Restaurant.

I like all kinds of food. Never tasted any Indian Food that I really liked but I've only tried it twice. Many acquired tastes in that area I'm sure.

Simplex3
09-07-2005, 12:41 PM
Johnny Cascone's or that place downtown I can't think of the name of for Italian.

Sadly, On the Border has some of the best Mexican going right now.

Bo-Ling's has some damn fine Chinese and a few locations

The Thai Place in Westport has some damn good food.

I don't like Indian (ME) food or most European foods, so I'll pass there.

No matter how many times you tell me, a bug isn't food. African cuisine is mostly out for me, too.

StcChief
09-07-2005, 12:42 PM
Indian food will run thru you if you aren't careful.

Olive Garden - you must be real bad shape for an authentic Italian meal.

Japanese steak house - more like California. Japanese

Good greek needs to have authentic Greeks with speciality items. Don't know Tasso.
In STL it's Olympia on McCausland south of 40.

Simplex3
09-07-2005, 12:44 PM
Anyone know where one can get some good Mediteranian grub in KC?

Braincase
09-07-2005, 12:45 PM
Chinese
Japanese
Indian
Mexican
Vietnamese

... if it's digestable and not featured on Fear Factor, I've probably tried it or am open-minded.

dirk digler
09-07-2005, 12:48 PM
Indian food will run thru you if you aren't careful.

Olive Garden - you must be real bad shape for an authentic Italian meal.

Japanese steak house - more like California. Japanese

Good greek needs to have authentic Greeks with speciality items. Don't know Tasso.
In STL it's Olympia on McCausland south of 40.

Italian is my favorite but I can't explain why I like Olive Garden. It just tastes good to me.

Tasso's is run by all Greeks and they have a hot belly dancer. Damn their gyro's are awesome.

I definitely want to try Indian and Mediteranian. I think I will like Indian because I hear it is spicy.

ptlyon
09-07-2005, 12:49 PM
What are some of your favorite non-American food places to eat?

Amsterdam hooker.

Simplex3
09-07-2005, 12:52 PM
I think I will like Indian because I hear it is spicy.
Most of that comes from curry, which I personally can't stand the taste or smell of. It's an aquired taste I'll never aquire.

dirk digler
09-07-2005, 12:54 PM
Most of that comes from curry, which I personally can't stand the taste or smell of. It's an aquired taste I'll never aquire.

I have never had curry but I am up for trying most anything once.

cdcox
09-07-2005, 12:54 PM
Another Indian dish to try is briani. It is a baked curried rice dish. Lamb is my favorite, but also available in chicken or veggi. Indian food greatly depends on the resturaunt. To find something good, ask an Inidan friend where he/she eats. Or go in and ask to see a menu. If you don't see a couple of tables of Indian folk there, move on to the next one. Also, someone here may be able to recommend a good place in KC.

dirk digler
09-07-2005, 12:57 PM
Another Indian dish to try is briani. It is a baked curried rice dish. Lamb is my favorite, but also available in chicken or veggi. Indian food greatly depends on the resturaunt. To find something good, ask an Inidan friend where he/she eats. Or go in and ask to see a menu. If you don't see a couple of tables of Indian folk there, move on to the next one. Also, someone here may be able to recommend a good place in KC.

Thanks for the tip. I don't have any Indian friends but I know surely someone from here has ate at an Indian restaurant in KC. I am hoping anyway.

Saulbadguy
09-07-2005, 01:07 PM
Indian is probably my favorite. Northern Indian cuisine at least.

I love Thai food as well. Japanese, gotta go with nigiri sushi. I don't mind tempura, just don't enjoy as much.

Hell, who am I kidding, I love it all.

Simplex3
09-07-2005, 01:08 PM
Thanks for the tip. I don't have any Indian friends but I know surely someone from here has ate at an Indian restaurant in KC. I am hoping anyway.
Have a Plan B for when you leave gagging and choking. You'll be hungry, but it will take nothing short of paint thinner to get the taste out of your mouth.

Saulbadguy
09-07-2005, 01:10 PM
Swagat in the northland is good. I know they had one on Barry rd, but they also have one in Zona Rosa now.

Ruchise is supposed to be very good.

Rain Man
09-07-2005, 01:21 PM

I could be mixing it up, but I think that's more of a south Indian thing. I'm not a huge fan of curry, either, but there are a lot of northern dishes that don't use it. They just mix about 57 other spices together. Mmmmmmm.

Saulbadguy
09-07-2005, 01:22 PM
I could be mixing it up, but I think that's more of a south Indian thing. I'm not a huge fan of curry, either, but there are a lot of northern dishes that don't use it. They just mix about 57 other spices together. Mmmmmmm.
That is correct.

BIG_DADDY
09-07-2005, 01:24 PM
Olive Garden is terrible unless all you want to eat is pasta, bread and salad.

Simplex3
09-07-2005, 01:28 PM
Well Hell's bells, if I can get a second on this theory all I need is a recommendation of a good place and I'll give it another shot.

asdf
09-07-2005, 01:29 PM
Swagat in the northland is good.

I second that...

I know they had one on Barry rd, but they also have one in Zona Rosa now.

Only in Zona Rosa now

Otter
09-07-2005, 01:29 PM
Indian is probably my favorite. Northern Indian cuisine at least.

I love Thai food as well. Japanese, gotta go with nigiri sushi. I don't mind tempura, just don't enjoy as much.

Hell, who am I kidding, I love it all.

Ever try the Ikura (Salmon Roe)? I love sushi but man, that was a tough roll to swallow. I'll never get that again.

If you ever went fly fishing for trout and used salmon eggs, imagine that smell. That's exactly what they tasted like. YUCK!

dirk digler
09-07-2005, 01:31 PM
Swagat in the northland is good. I know they had one on Barry rd, but they also have one in Zona Rosa now.

Ruchise is supposed to be very good.

Thanks Saul!

Saulbadguy
09-07-2005, 01:32 PM
Ever try the Ikura (Salmon Roe)? I love sushi but man, that was a tough roll to swallow. I'll never get that again.

If you ever went fly fishing for trout and used salmon eggs, imagine that smell. That's exactly what they tasted like. YUCK!
It had a odd texture, but I enjoyed the taste. Probably wouldn't order it again too often, as it wasn't one of my favorites. I love maguro (tuna), sake (salmon), unagi (eel), and red snapper (forgot the name..)

Rain Man
09-07-2005, 01:33 PM
Well Hell's bells, if I can get a second on this theory all I need is a recommendation of a good place and I'll give it another shot.

I think one of the challenges of Indian food is that they usually won't advertise whether they're more north Indian or south Indian. I like north Indian a lot better.

Saulbadguy
09-07-2005, 01:35 PM
North indian is usually what you see around here. Alot of them are actually Muslim.

dirk digler
09-07-2005, 01:38 PM
North indian is usually what you see around here. Alot of them are actually Muslim.

Oh yeah I forgot about Big Daddy's terrorist food thread. :hmmm:

Simplex3
09-07-2005, 01:41 PM
Which raises the question, has a Muslim ever blown up their own restaraunt?

NewChief
09-07-2005, 01:46 PM
Thai, Ethiopian, Mediterranean, Indian, and Jamaican are some of my favorites.

dirk digler
09-07-2005, 01:48 PM
Thai, Ethiopian, Mediterranean, Indian, and Jamaican are some of my favorites.

What is Mediterranean like NewChief?

Saulbadguy
09-07-2005, 01:52 PM
What is Mediterranean like NewChief?
Its kind of a mixture between greek and middle eastern. Some of my favorite dishes from Mediterranean:

Greek/Fatouch Salad (with big chunks of feta cheese)
Hummus with Pita OR Celery/jicama
Chicken shawarma (spiced chicken)
Gyros (pita sandwich)
Falafael (fried ground chickpeas)
Lamb is very popular in mediterranean cooking.
Souvlaki
Saganaki (Flaming cheese)

For dessert, BAKLAVA! (a mixture of honey, nuts, spices, etc between lays of phylo dough)

Or a few slices of Halvah (sesame seed paste in a fudge like form). Don't eat too much though, it'll give you the shits.

I don't know any places in KC, but Lawrence has a decent one in "Aladdins cafe". I'm sure there is a couple in KC.

NewChief
09-07-2005, 01:54 PM
Its kind of a mixture between greek and middle eastern. Some of my favorite dishes from Mediterranean:

Greek/Fatouch Salad (with big chunks of feta cheese)
Hummus with Pita OR Celery/jicama
Chicken shawarma (spiced chicken)
Gyros (pita sandwich)
Falafael (fried ground chickpeas)
Lamb is very popular in mediterranean cooking.
Souvlaki
Saganaki (Flaming cheese)

For dessert, BAKLAVA! (a mixture of honey, nuts, spices, etc between lays of phylo dough)

I don't know any places in KC, but Lawrence has a decent one in "Aladdins cafe". I'm sure there is a couple in KC.

Yeah, that's pretty much it. Got hooked on it while in Greece for a while. Being able to get two huge, freshly-sliced, gyros for about $1.50 was pretty awesome at the time.

Saulbadguy
09-07-2005, 01:55 PM
Oh, I love Jewish food as well.

Fried Matzah (Matzah soaked in water/egg), fried in butter. Add salt to taste. Some people prefer sugar, cinnamon, or even jelly. Matzah = unleavened bread

Gefilte Fish. Outsiders usually hate this one, but I love it. Especially with a big heaping spoonful of Josephs red horseradish.

Kishka. Look it up :D

Knishes..kinda like bierocks. Or a RUNZA sandwich,heh.

Blintzes. Bagels with Lox. Latkes with applesauce. Leg of lamb with mint jelly. Charoset (traditional passover dish). Ah...can't wait till April.

Saulbadguy
09-07-2005, 01:56 PM
and some of the eastern European/Russian stuff is just flat-out bland.
Gotta go with Hungarian in that case. I like cool cherry soup followed up by some GHOULASH!

Saulbadguy
09-07-2005, 01:57 PM
Yeah, that's pretty much it. Got hooked on it while in Greece for a while. Being able to get two huge, freshly-sliced, gyros for about $1.50 was pretty awesome at the time.
Nice.

I forgot about Mousaka. Basically eggplant lasagna. Tastes better than it sounds.

NewChief
09-07-2005, 02:05 PM
Nice.

I forgot about Mousaka. Basically eggplant lasagna. Tastes better than it sounds.

Yeah, Mousaka is really good, too. Don't forget the raki and ouzo as well, though I prefer raki over ouzo. One of the most memorable nights of my life was spent at a greek restaurant on the isle of Crete. The owner took us under his wing and shut the place down for the night. Invited all his friends over that played music and we just sat around and drank and ate for about 8 hours. Round after round after round of his homemade raki. It was awesome.

dirk digler
09-07-2005, 02:13 PM
We had a Mousaka the other night at Tassos's. It was ok but I probably won't order it again.

I love Gyro's though. Man I would love to have one now. :drool:

ndbbm
09-07-2005, 02:23 PM
The Tokyo Diner.
The Bankok Wok.
Bennihana's.

I like those 3 best. :)

Frankie
09-07-2005, 02:24 PM
I would strongly encourage you to try Persian food. But the only place in KC that I know is "Kabob House" on Wornall rd. As of the last time I ate there (around 6 years ago) they were not that great. If there is no new Persian restaurant in KC, I would try them once though.

Saulbadguy
09-07-2005, 02:32 PM
I would strongly encourage you to try Persian food. But the only place in KC that I know is "Kabob House" on Wornall rd. As of the last time I ate there (around 6 years ago) they were not that great. If there is no new Persian restaurant in KC, I would try them once though.
Aye. We had some homecooked persian stuff a year ago. I call it Persian, but the lady who cooked it refused to be called Persian. She said she was Assyrian, but I thought they were long gone. You probably know more about that kind of stuff than I do.:shrug:

She cooked some rice with raisins, almonds, sumac (sp?), and put an egg in the middle of it. It was delicous. I can't remember the other things cooked, but it was all good.

BIG_DADDY
09-07-2005, 02:32 PM

Well I have been trying to get you to tell us about all the great food terrorists eat for years. There is a great thread on this food somewhere. Oh yea here it is. http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=100540&highlight=Frankie+food

I love Persian food.

Frankie
09-07-2005, 02:37 PM
Aye. We had some homecooked persian stuff a year ago. I call it Persian, but the lady who cooked it refused to be called Persian. She said she was Assyrian, but I thought they were long gone. You probably know more about that kind of stuff than I do.:shrug:

She cooked some rice with raisins, almonds, sumac (sp?), and put an egg in the middle of it. It was delicous. I can't remember the other things cooked, but it was all good.

There are some Iranians who are referred to as Assyrian. Goes back to the assimillation of the ancient Assyria into the Persian empire by Cyrus. Most of them have no problem being called Persians/Iranians. She must be pretty angry at what currently passes as Iran. She's not alone. ;)

Saulbadguy
09-07-2005, 02:37 PM
She must be pretty angry at what currently passes as Iran. She's not alone. ;)
Thats what I gathered.