PDA

View Full Version : help from builders

bogie
09-07-2005, 12:39 PM
So I'm doing an add on to my garage. I want to do it myself with a buddy. I have a materials list and am trying to get an estimated cost for materials. I go to Home Depot to get prices but that place is such a mess. Most of the price tags on lumber stacks, etc. have been pulled off. Is there a source I can use for cost of lumber so I can estimate my cost of materials? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

jspchief
09-07-2005, 12:41 PM
Do you have a set of plans?

If so, you should be able to take it to a lumberyard (a real one, not a bigbox) and have them do a take off with price quote.

Simplex3
09-07-2005, 12:49 PM
Make sure you have the right permits, you aren't putting up a wall and some sheetrock in your basement here. Anything structural like that can come back to haunt you later.

I see you're in CA. You better be damn sure you have this thing approved and analy probed before you start building it.

bogie
09-07-2005, 12:49 PM
Do you have a set of plans?

If so, you should be able to take it to a lumberyard (a real one, not a bigbox) and have them do a take off with price quote.

They are plans that I drew myself. They're pretty detailed plans. Would that work?

bogie
09-07-2005, 12:52 PM
Make sure you have the right permits, you aren't putting up a wall and some sheetrock in your basement here. Anything structural like that can come back to haunt you later.

Actually, I wasn't planning on permitting it. You're not an inspecter are you? My buddy has done a lot of construction. He built his own house so he's experienced. I've swung a hammer quite a bit myself, but I've never attempted to order my own material for a job this size.

jspchief
09-07-2005, 12:53 PM
They are plans that I drew myself. They're pretty detailed plans. Would that work?It might. Take it into a yard that supplies home builders. They are normally pretty helpful to the local Joe that's building his own.

Simplex3
09-07-2005, 12:54 PM
Actually, I wasn't planning on permitting it. You're not an inspecter are you? My buddy has done a lot of construction. He built his own house so he's experienced. I've swung a hammer quite a bit myself, but I've never attempted to order my own material for a job this size.
Check with your city, odds are you will be required to have some sort of permit because it has exterior walls and will be considered structural. They may even tell you it has to be signed off on by a licensed architect. If you don't find out before hand you could be done or nearly done when they come in and tell you to tear it all down. You don't want to buy all this stuff twice.

bogie
09-07-2005, 01:19 PM
Check with your city, odds are you will be required to have some sort of permit because it has exterior walls and will be considered structural. They may even tell you it has to be signed off on by a licensed architect. If you don't find out before hand you could be done or nearly done when they come in and tell you to tear it all down. You don't want to buy all this stuff twice.

I know you're right. If I check with the city I'm sure they'll require permits. I'm adding to the back of my garage, not visible to the street. The only neighbors that will be bugged by construction are aware and okay with it, so they won't turn me in. I think I can slip it in pretty quick without too much trouble. I appreciate the concern though.

Brock
09-07-2005, 01:20 PM
I know you're right. If I check with the city I'm sure they'll require permits. I'm adding to the back of my garage, not visible to the street. The only neighbors that will be bugged by construction are aware and okay with it, so they won't turn me in. I think I can slip it in pretty quick without too much trouble. I appreciate the concern though.

That could be an expensive mistake.

bogie
09-07-2005, 01:25 PM

I know, I know. I thought about it a lot. I feel confident that I can get away with it though. Okay...I know an architect and I'll get his opinion before I start. I hate the red tape!
:banghead:

Simplex3
09-07-2005, 01:30 PM
I know, I know. I thought about it a lot. I feel confident that I can get away with it though. Okay...I know an architect and I'll get his opinion before I start. I hate the red tape!
:banghead:
You might get away with getting it up and keeping it up but what happens when you go to sell the house and it's bigger than what the county paperwork says it is?

MichaelH
09-07-2005, 01:31 PM
Just slip the building code enforcer a 50 when he stops by. Everything will be fine. ;)

bogie
09-07-2005, 01:34 PM
You might get away with getting it up and keeping it up but what happens when you go to sell the house and it's bigger than what the county paperwork says it is?

My garage is detached. It would not be included in the sq. ft. of the house. But it will add value to the property as a Mother-in-Law suite. I'm adding it on for my work shop, but building it so the next person can turn the garage into a seperate apartment if they want. It is a 10 X 20 room added to the back of a 20 X 20 garage.

redsurfer11
09-07-2005, 05:22 PM
So I'm doing an add on to my garage. I want to do it myself with a buddy. I have a materials list and am trying to get an estimated cost for materials. I go to Home Depot to get prices but that place is such a mess. Most of the price tags on lumber stacks, etc. have been pulled off. Is there a source I can use for cost of lumber so I can estimate my cost of materials? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

you can get the prices at the Home Depot. Drop copy of your drawing off to the Contractors desk, if they have one. They should be able to do a takeoff. If not, look up the HD pricing on their internet site.Its now available online.

bogie
09-07-2005, 05:26 PM
you can get the prices at the Home Depot. Drop copy of your drawing off to the Contractors desk, if they have one. They should be able to do a takeoff. If not, look up the HD pricing on their internet site.Its now available online.

You know I tried that, but couldn't find any pricing on lumber. I'll try again. Thanks!

Nelson Muntz
09-07-2005, 07:17 PM

Well it will make for a nice rant on here if it does happen.

Valiant
09-07-2005, 07:22 PM

Ahh, **** em... The city tried to tell us we couldnt build a shed in our backyard... We now have a 20x25ft shed... We went all out, paved floor and ramp and electricity... Now all the neighbors are putting up sheds, no where near the greatness as ours...

But **** the city they wont do shit about it unless you tell them you have it...

Valiant
09-07-2005, 07:24 PM

Do it, the city will never be the wiser... The only thing you will get by telling the city is either to pay for a permit or them tell you no...

Valiant
09-07-2005, 07:25 PM

Not my fault the county lost the updated paperwork.... They will just have to reissue it with the corrections... :p

bogie
09-07-2005, 07:32 PM
Valiant,
You're bringing out the rebel in me.