PDA

View Full Version : Should photos of Katrina dead be broadcast?

Brock
09-07-2005, 01:13 PM
FEMA Blocks Photos of New Orleans Dead

By E&P Staff

Published: September 07, 2005 12:06 PM ET

NEW YORK Forced to defend what some critics consider its slow and botched response to the devastation caused by Hurricane Katrina, the Federal Emergency Management Agency said on Tuesday it does not want the news media to take photographs of the dead as they are recovered from New Orleans.

FEMA, which is leading the rescue efforts, rejected requests from journalists to accompany rescue boats as they went out to search for storm victims, Reuters reported.

A FEMA spokeswoman told the wire service that space was need on the rescue boats and assured Reuters that "the recovery of the victims is being treated with dignity and the utmost respect."

"We have requested that no photographs of the deceased be made by the media," the spokeswoman told Reuters via e-mail.

The Bush administration's decision to continue a policy of preventing the news media from photographing flag-draped coffins of U.S. soldiers killed in Iraq has fueled criticism that the government is trying to avoid images that put the war in a bad light.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Taco John
09-07-2005, 01:17 PM
I think we should censor the dead bodies.

Simplex3
09-07-2005, 01:17 PM
The Bush administration's decision to continue a policy of preventing the news media from photographing flag-draped coffins of U.S. soldiers killed in Iraq has fueled criticism that the government is trying to avoid images that put the war in a bad light.

First, WTF does this have to do with the article? Second, how many more bodies can they pull from the water if they DON'T have a reporter, a cameraman, a sound guy, and all their equipment in the boat? Dear God, the media is becoming nearly as big a part of the problem as the hurricane itself.

Hurricane Katrina, followed quickly by Hurricane Media. One destroys your town, the second destroys all efforts to help while reporting that the help isn't enough and trying to get in the way even more, then bitching that they can't.

mlyonsd
09-07-2005, 01:18 PM
I think it would suck to be missing a family member and all of a sudden find them in a photo being drug into a boat all bloated.

I'm also not sure I want pictures of American dead eventually broadcast on Al Jeezera so a bunch of terrorists can get woodies.

Those are my initial thoughts anyway.

Radar Chief
09-07-2005, 01:21 PM
Why does it have to be political? Why can’t it just be in good taste not to broadcast pictures of the dead? Why wouldn’t this just be considered common courtesy? :shrug:

Simplex3
09-07-2005, 01:23 PM
Why does it have to be political? Why can’t it just be in good taste not to broadcast pictures of the dead? Why wouldn’t this just be considered common courtesy? :shrug:
Common courtesy be damned if you can float a turd in your politcal opponent's pool.

Taco John
09-07-2005, 01:24 PM
Hurricane Katrina, followed quickly by Hurricane Media. One destroys your town, the second destroys all efforts to help while reporting that the help isn't enough and trying to get in the way even more, then bitching that they can't.

I agree. It's the media's fault.

Simplex3
09-07-2005, 01:26 PM
I agree. It's the media's fault.
Oh, surely the police, FEMA agents, volunteers, and everyone else are busy helping people at the precise time that they're standing around getting their face time with the camera. That's not distracting from the effort at all. Hell, now that the blame game has started these people are looking for cameras so they can try and pass the buck off on someone else instead of helping.

Adept Havelock
09-07-2005, 05:34 PM
Ahh yes. It's all the media fault. I wondered how soon that meme would appear.

Yes, the media needs to fricking back off. They are becoming a distraction. That said:

I assume you are equally outraged by the diversion of resources required to provide security everytime a senior admin. official decides to give a press conference in the affected area (I.e. Photo-ops).

Can't the admin. congratulate Brown and Chertoff just as well from the WH? Should the responders have to deal with the headaches brought by the Media and Politicos playing CYA?