PDA

View Full Version : Ex-Raiders center Robbins jailed in Miami

ArrowheadHawk
09-07-2005, 01:45 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2154351&CMP=OTC-DT9705204233

Updated: Sep. 7, 2005, 1:15 PM ET
Ex-Raiders center Robbins jailed in Miami
Associated Press

MIAMI -- A judge ordered former Oakland Raiders center Barret Robbins jailed for at least two weeks Wednesday because he possessed marijuana while awaiting trial on attempted murder charges stemming from a brawl with police officers.

Defense attorney Edward O'Donnell said Robbins, who has a history of mental illness, would get medication while jailed. He said his client has been doing well in treatment.

Miami-Dade Circuit Judge Kevin Emas scheduled a hearing for Sept. 21 to see if Robbins could be treated elsewhere for his bipolar disorder.

Robbins was shot and seriously wounded by Miami Beach officers during the January fight. He was transferred to a Texas hospital in April after posting a $51,000 bond. He was arrested in San Antonio on Aug. 13 after a bicycle officer smelled marijuana in his car. He spent time in a Houston psychiatric hospital before coming to Miami for the hearing Wednesday.

Robbins has pleaded not guilty to the attempted murder charges. He fought with several Miami Beach officers after they answered a burglary call in a building that housed a pub, gym and jewelry store. They shot him twice in the chest.

Robbins' public troubles began when he disappeared before the Super Bowl in San Diego in early 2003, then showed up the night before the game in an incoherent state and was deactivated for the game.

After spending a month in an alcohol rehabilitation center, Robbins lost weight and regained his spot in the Raiders' starting lineup the following year.

But the Raiders released him last summer after he tested positive for steroids. Before the Miami Beach fight, he was arrested for allegedly hitting a security guard in San Francisco.

Rain Man
09-07-2005, 01:47 PM
He needs to start selling his own nationwide tour t-shirt. "Barrett Robbins - The Nationwide Crime Spree Tour".

Hydrae
09-07-2005, 01:50 PM
The poster boy for forced medications. He seems to be fine when he is on the right drugs. When he is not though, I wouldn't want to be in the same town.

Halfcan
09-07-2005, 01:57 PM
I am surprised he is still not playing on the Raiders. He would fit right in with the other jailbirds.

Braincase
09-07-2005, 02:39 PM
I am surprised he is still not playing on the Raiders. He would fit right in with the other jailbirds.

Right now, we as Chief fans, ought to shut our collective pieholes on that front.

memyselfI
09-07-2005, 02:41 PM
The guy should be hospitalized for a LONG time. For his and society's own good.

Braincase
09-07-2005, 02:44 PM
I should be hospitalized for a LONG time. For my and society's own good.

I fixed your post. :p

memyselfI
09-07-2005, 02:59 PM
I fixed your post. :p

ROFL :p :clap: ROFL

BIG_DADDY
09-07-2005, 03:03 PM
Friggen Floriduh. If anyone ever needed to smoke a joint and chill it's Robbins.

PunkinDrublic
09-07-2005, 04:01 PM
I feel bad for the guy. I don't think he's a criminal but he does need to spend the rest of his life under medical supervision in some sort of facility. If that doesn't happen it will end badly for him and possibly somebody else.

picasso
09-07-2005, 04:31 PM
I feel bad for the guy. I don't think he's a criminal but he does need to spend the rest of his life under medical supervision in some sort of facility. If that doesn't happen it will end badly for him and possibly somebody else.

Not a criminal? WTF!!
It sounds like he's the Mike Tyson of the NFL. You can't go around cracking cops skulls to the point that you get shot twice in the chest to be stopped. I would call that criminal! And as much as I like the gonja it's still a crime to posess.

Tribal Warfare
09-07-2005, 05:39 PM

I concur

freebeer
09-10-2005, 09:31 AM

You liberal bastard. So the next time I find myself holding a pistol to someoneís head and tell them itís because I have munchhowzen syndrome, I get a free pass? Why are you wasting your talents on this web site? You sir have my vote for the presidency of the Taliban.