PDA

View Full Version : Q&A PRIEST HOLMES Sep 07, 2005

ArrowheadHawk
09-07-2005, 04:15 PM
Q&A PRIEST HOLMES
Sep 07, 2005, 3:05:13 PM

N.Y. JETS CONFERENCE CALL

Q: Talk about the challenges of facing the Jets defense?

HOLMES: I think the only challenge that we will face with the New York Jets is their ability to be very disciplined. I think their linebacker corps is very aggressive. They are definitely going to be called in some difficulty in the running game just because of the way they attack the line of scrimmage not allowing a lot of visibility in terms of open holes. In terms of our offense as long as we do the things we are suppose in terms of executing and paying attention to the details I think we will have a lot of success this Sunday.

Q: What are your thoughts on RB Curtis Martin who led the league in rushing a year ago?

HOLMES: After Curtis Martin led the league in rushing and showed his ability to be at the prime of his career and be able to hold the mantle and league the lead in rushing amongst all the other younger running backs I think that kind of speaks loudly about him. But you always pay attention to what the other running backs are doing. Our eyes will be on Curtis Martin and Derrick Blaylock just to see what type of success they are having early on because we definitely want to show we have one of the best running games in the NFL in Kansas City.

Q: Is it difficult having another back in your backfield like RB Larry Johnson?

HOLMES: Its not anything real difficult. I think anytime I need a blow Larry Johnson will be able to come in there. Larry Johnson has definitely showed himself to very capable of handling the load after I missed the last eight games, so it will definitely not be a drop off when he enters the game.

Q: Talk about playing against a 3-4 defense vs. a 4-3 defense?

HOLMES: I think the 3-4 defense gives the ability to have a lot more open lanes because of course youre putting linebackers on the outside line of scrimmage and therefore if put a tight end up against that guy hes definitely going to be able to have the advantage by kicking him out. I think once they get into a 4-3 defense and tend to play with a few more down lineman I think they have the ability to really penetrate. They have some smaller size guys in terms of height but they have the ability to go North and South and they do a real good job in doing that.

Q: What is the status of QB Trent Green?

HOLMES: Well I think the leg surgery is something that we were able to get handle on very early on. Last week not exactly knowing what was going on or what was causing the numbness, but they got that figured out by last Thursday. So in terms of him, hes just being positive and knows that hell be ready for the game. He spoke to the team and said that, but I think that hes been waiting for a year like this where you could see our defense is on the rise and we have added a few more opportunities to our offense where we have younger guys now stepping up playing a crucial role in our offense. I think it just gives him a lot more success and feels more comfortable that he has a lot more weapons.

Q: Whats the biggest difference on your defense this year?

HOLMES: I think we are definitely waiting to find out in terms of putting it all together and it equaling a win with the defense now stepping up. The biggest difference Ive seen through camp and through the off-season was just the speed and tempo and also the aggressiveness that they have been playing with. There are a lot more guys showing up on film and a lot more red hats around the ball. We are excited to see that. I think they are going to have a big season and the reason for that is because all of the praise is going to the offense. I think they once they start stealing a lot of that praise it will make them feel good and that side of the ball will be playing well.

Q: What are your impressions of RB Derrick Blaylock from his time in Kansas City?

HOLMES: Its going to be exciting to see what he brings because he definitely knows our field very well, so in terms of him having a good game and being comfortable I think Derrick will be able to have that just because him knowing the stadium and knowing what the crowd and fans are capable of doing. I think he will be able to tune that out because hes played here. He also adds some depth to that position with Curtis Martin now knowing that he has a back capable of coming in and definitely taking over the reins. I think Derrick definitely going to be a better situation there than he would be here, behind Larry Johnson.

Q: What is your scouting report on how to stop RB Curtis Martin?

With my scouting report definitely would be that the biggest thing you need to do defensively to stop Curtis Martin is to make sure he is running North and South. I think when you give him the ability to slash from left to right thats when he can cause some havoc there in the back field. I think keeping him North and South, causing him to run straight ahead without too much cutting. I think thats when you put him more into a box and thats where you can definitely be able to contain him. But hes going to do a real good job with the Jets because hes very crafty, hes a veteran and he knows how to play to his strengths and his weaknesses.

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2005/09/07/qa_priest_holmes3/

bobbything
09-07-2005, 04:24 PM
I think anytime I need a blow Larry Johnson will be able to come in there
Not real picky, is he? Men, women, teammates. It's all head to Priest.

Darkwolfe
09-07-2005, 04:27 PM

Yeah, that didn't come out real well did it?

jspchief
09-07-2005, 04:30 PM
Why would someone ask Priest Holmes what his scouting report is on Martin? I'm sure he spends a lot of time pouring over film of opposing RBs. Dumb question.

Chiefs Pantalones
09-07-2005, 04:32 PM

ROFL

He follows the unwritten book of the road.

jidar
09-07-2005, 04:49 PM
I also follow the book.

Chiefs Pantalones
09-07-2005, 04:57 PM
I also follow the book.

ROFL

Reaper16
09-07-2005, 10:42 PM

I'd say he's selective, after all Larry Johnson has definitely showed himself to very capable of handling the load

bobbything
09-08-2005, 12:11 AM
Larry Johnson has definitely showed himself to very capable of handling the load
I stand corrected.

KILLER_CLOWN
09-08-2005, 12:48 AM
Stop that chit now, i'm slapphappy this time of the mornin'!