PDA

View Full Version : Q&A with DICK VERMEIL Sep 07, 2005, 5:11:45 PM

philfree
09-07-2005, 06:39 PM
Q&A with DICK VERMEIL
Sep 07, 2005, 5:11:45 PM

On Herman Edwards
:

DICK VERMEIL: “At a time in my career when I was a younger coach I hoped my other friends, if they were coaching and lost, it would make me feel better when I lost. But after I got going again and matured in my way of thinking it helped me when I lost if they won. So, I feel that way about Herman. All I want him to do is win and be successful. Of course, I don’t want him to do that on Sunday at our expense, but any other time I sure do.

On how Herman has grown as a coach:

VERMEIL: “Well, you’d probably have to ask those people that are with him on a daily basis. We’ve spent a lot of time on the phone and different times at owners’ meetings. I think we all grow every year in what we do and how we do it and the people we surround ourselves with. I’m sure Herman has. But not being there on hand I still know this: his football team is extremely well coached so he and his coaching staff are doing a great job. Last year they were the smartest team in football: plus 17 in takeaways, and then the second least penalized team in football. That’s all a positive reflection on his program.”

On Derrick Blaylock:

VERMEIL: “He’s a class person; he’s a giver and non-complainer. He played a tremendous role in any success we’ve had here. He was an outstanding backup and a very good player on special teams. He played well when he started. To me, I’m just so excited he got the opportunity to get some upfront money and put a little nest-egg away and maybe finish his career with one of my closest friends, Herman Edwards.”

On the changes in the Jets offense:

VERMEIL: “They’re a different style. Their running game appears to be the same as they were running. The passing game, I’m sure we haven’t seen. We’ve only seen glimpses of the scheme. For a while in the early season it’ll probably take the quarterback a while and the whole team to get to a different approach and a different philosophy. Hopefully, it’ll be very beneficial on every day but ours.”

Q: Trent Green’s condition today?

VERMEIL: “Trent Green did everything. He took every rep as a starter and did a very good job. I was very pleased with him and I think he’s very pleased too.”

Q: What about Dante Hall?

VERMEIL: “Dante Hall practiced every rep he was supposed to practice today. We limited him some but he was in the meat of everything. I never had Dante any other than expecting to play.”

Q: Is it his knee or hamstring?

VERMEIL: “It’s his knee. He got banged in a return and it made it sore, it didn’t do anything structurally to it. He’s back and feeling good.”

Q: The injury report says hamstring.

VERMEIL: “He has a hamstring tightness. The most pleasing thing about practice today was seeing John Browning practice and practice hard. It was three and a half hours out there in the heat.”

Q: Will Dante do all the returning: kickoffs and punts?

VERMEIL: “Yes.Q: All three of your QBs are on the injury list. Has that ever happened to you before?

VERMEIL: “It is the first time, but I’m glad they’re back. Todd Collins today threw some of the scout team pass offense. He wouldn’t be ready to play in the game Sunday but maybe a week from now he might be ready to be a legitimate number two quarterback. He’ll be our number three this week.”

Q: Kevin Sampson’s condition?

VERMEIL: “Kevin Sampson practiced in all the drills and did fundamental work, but he did not practice in (team). He’s about 85%. The thing with a toe like he has, until he gets pads on and really puts the pressure of hitting somebody else, you really don’t get the same pressure. I think he’s probable next week.”

Q: Gunther came down excited about Kendrell Bell today. How did he look out there today?

VERMEIL: “He flashes. There’s no way if you go out on the field that you can’t recognize his ability to accelerate and move into plays. I think he’s very pleased and excited. He came in here yesterday on his day off and worked for an hour. He ran our strength coach into the ground. He’s pumped up and excited about being healthy going into the opener. Will he be as good as he’s gonna be once he gets going? No, he’ll probably make some mistakes, but he’ll make some plays, too.”

Q: Is he mentally ready and has he forgotten about the injuries he’s had?

VERMEIL: “He sure appears to. I know there are a couple players at the Rams who think he has forgotten about it.”

Q: But he hasn’t played in a regular season game in a long time.

VERMEIL: “We’ve been ultra-conservative with him and he was too. We’ll see if that was the best thing to do or not. I know he’s healthy. Will he be as good if he played in all four pre-season games? Probably not, but athletically he hasn’t changed a bit since he was rookie of the year as a defensive player.”

Q: Do Sammy Knight and Patrick Surtain have more impact on this week’s defensive game because they’ve faced the Jets more?

VERMEIL: “Well, they’ve played against them twice a year. So, they know the Jets but supposedly the Jets offense has changed. They have a new offensive coordinator. It’ll be a little bit different. It won’t be the same style that they’ve been defensing when they were in Miami.”

Q: Will Gunther be familiar with what they’re going to do?

VERMEIL: “Very familiar, but he doesn’t know what phase of the package they’re going to emphasize, he doesn’t know how much of the scheme they have in, or if the quarterback is ready to use the entire scheme. (Cunningham) worked against it a lot when he was in Tennessee and the coordinator who’s now with the Jets was at Tennessee.”

Q: What would it mean to make a great stand against Curtis Martin and set a tone for this defense?

VERMEIL: “There’s nothing like success to build a deeper level of confidence. There’s no question the defense is better. I said that 10 times to myself on the practice field today watching all positions and individuals. It’s better. They just all run better; if we screw up the scheme they can all run better. It’s glaring.

“We will be tested. Curtis Martin is a great football player – over 1600 yards last year at 31 years old. Started four years in a row and hasn’t missed a game. So he’s very durable and very tough and I understand they’re staying with the same running game. They will test us, more than test us.”

Q: But their defense was no slouch last year either?

VERMEIL: “One of the better defenses we will have played against since I’ve been here. I really studied them even more than I normally do. I’m impressed with the fundamentals with which they play the game – especially the front seven and down linemen. I know both coaches who coach those positions.”

Q: Is there top linebacker a Ray Lewis type guy you can’t take out?

VERMEIL: “We played against Ray Lewis before and successfully. No one guy does it all by himself. He is a problem because he can run so well.”

Q: Last year you had some injuries in the pre-season, especially at wide receiver and tight ends that threw you out of rhythm the first couple of games.

VERMEIL: “Well, we said that was the reason. Something has to take the blame, so we used that. Maybe we just didn’t do a good enough job. That’s the way I approach things. We don’t need excuses. We really don’t. I have a feel for why we sometimes aren’t as good as we ought to be early. I hope we’ve corrected it. If not, we’ll be the same.”

Q: Do you have the same fears after so many of your players have missed training camp due to injury?

VERMEIL: “If you believe in practice, if you believe in fundamental drill work, if you believe in the things that you do, then when someone is not allowed to do it often enough then you’re concerned that he’s ready to play. But, hey, it’s time to play even though you’re not ready to play sometimes. Most teams lining up to play this week will have players that didn’t get as much work that they would have liked them to.”

Q: How confident are you in your pass rush?

VERMEIL: “I’d the pass rush to be better. I think all coaches would like their pass rush to be better. We know who our best pass rusher is. I don’t think you’ve seen Carlos Hall at his best yet; I don’t think you’ve seen Eric Hicks at his best yet. I think Eric will be better than he’s ever been. Ryan Sims it won’t even be close. He’ll be a much better pass rusher this year. I think the kind of linebackers that we have today will be more effective in combination with linemen. Derrick Johnson is an explosive upfield player; Kendrell Bell is an explosive type guy. These guys will be effective in pressuring the passer.”

Q: We talked to Patrick Surtain about his relief knowing that his father has been rescued in the Gulf. Is that something you admire about him: his professionalism about how he has been able to go about his work these last couple of days?

VERMEIL: “Last week when he found out his dad was located, he came upstairs to my office and came in and said, ‘coach, they found my dad.’ He was really excited and relieved. But he was going about his business knowing that there’s nothing he could do to solve the problem. He’s a pro in every way.”

Q: You talked about Ryan Sims about how he’s gotten better and how you heard it from opposing coaches. What’s he done differently?

VERMEIL: “First off, it’s his third year. It’s his fourth in terms of being here but his third year of playing and working. I just think it’s starting to come. I think his effort is just outstanding. I think his motivation to be better is coming from him, not from someone pushing him. It’s pushing from the inside not the outside and that makes a big difference. And, I think our defensive line coaches have done a better job with him. I think he realizes it’s time. Of all the defensive players he’s made the biggest jump, he and Kawika Mitchell.”

Q: Did he prepare any differently than he did in the past off-season?

VERMEIL: “In the off-season he worked because he wanted to get better, not because there was an incentive in his contract. There’s a big difference.”

Q: Are you seeing Sims put more of an effort into it out there?

VERMEIL: “I’m going to say this for the last time: we as coaches believe it takes about three years for a defensive player to become what he’s supposed to be. It normally does. Some guys get better quicker and that’s as good as they get, some guys take a little longer and they keep getting better longer. I think it’s a combination of maturity, realigning priorities, making football a career a number one priority. Hey, he’s not slated for the Pro Bowl yet, but we’ll wait to Sunday. But we’re pleased with his progress he’s made.”
--------------------

Good stuff!

PhilFree:arrow:

milkman
09-07-2005, 09:10 PM
The news about Trent and Dante is good to read.

But every bit as important is the news about Browning.
We'll need him for the D-Line rotation to keep everybody fresh.

philfree
09-07-2005, 09:39 PM
The news about Trent and Dante is good to read.

But every bit as important is the news about Browning.
We'll need him for the D-Line rotation to keep everybody fresh.

Yup! Almost seems like all systems go :) t -3 days and counting.

PhilFree:arrow:

shaneo69
09-07-2005, 09:40 PM
Q: Is it (Dante's) knee or hamstring?

VERMEIL: “It’s his knee. He got banged in a return and it made it sore, it didn’t do anything structurally to it. He’s back and feeling good.”

VERMEIL: “He has a hamstring tightness. The most pleasing thing about practice today was seeing John Browning practice and practice hard. It was three and a half hours out there in the heat.”

When caught in a lie, it's always best to change the subject as quickly as possible.

KCJake
09-07-2005, 09:41 PM
Im so PUMPED for this season :clap:

beer bacon
09-07-2005, 09:43 PM
Q: Is it (Dante's) knee or hamstring?

When caught in a lie, it's always best to change the subject as quickly as possible.

DV is lying cheating baby eater if I have ever seen one. I may have seen one once.