PDA

View Full Version : Another Fun Rescue Story: Show Us Your T*ts!

gblowfish
09-09-2005, 06:16 PM
This from Yahoo UK News. Yikes Said Zippy:
Storm Survivors Told To 'Expose Themselves'
Sky News Tuesday September 6, 03:28 P

A group of female hurricane survivors were told to show their breasts if they wanted to be rescued, a British holidaymaker has revealed.Ged Scott watched as American rescuers turned their boat around and sped off when the the women refused.

The account was just another example of the horror stories emerging from the hurricane disaster zone.

Mr Scott, 36, of Liverpool, was with his wife and seven-year-old daughter in the Ramada Hotel when the flood waters started rising.

"At one point, there were a load of girls on the roof of the hotel saying 'Can you help us?' and the policemen said 'Show us what you've got' and made signs for them to lift their T-shirts," he told the Liverpool Evening Echo.

"When the girls refused, they said `Fine' and motored off down the road in their boat."

At one point he had to wade through filthy water to barricade the hotel doors against looters.

He said the experience made him want to vomit.

Mr Scott also slated the rescue operation, saying police were more interested in taking snapshots of the devastation rather than rescuing the victims.

"I could not have a lower opinion of the authorities, from the police officers on the street right up to George Bush," he said.

"I couldn't describe how bad the authorities were. Just little things like taking photographs of us, as we are standing on the roof waving for help, for their own little snapshot albums"

He added: "The American people saved us. I wish I could say the same for the American authorities."

Mike Brocken, of Chester, said he feared his wife Christine and 18-year-old daughter Stephanie would be raped when they went into the Louisiana Superdome.

The family were also racially abused by other refugees in the stadium.

Mr Brocken, a BBC Radio Merseyside presenter and music lecturer, told the station: "We were going to go inside the Superdome.

"I approached two members of the National Guard and they said to stay outside because they knew it was hell in there.

"One female office basically said under no circumstances take the women in there, because she knew what it was like.

"We were so frightened and we stayed alongside the National Guard for some kind of protection.

"It was at that stage that they started to take us under their wing and eventually managed to get us into the basketball stadium."

He added: "Everyone talks about the National Guard in rather derogatory ways historically, but I've got to say that, but for them, and one man in particular, I may well have lost my family."

DanT
09-09-2005, 06:20 PM
The Onion had a similar idea as a photo caption in one of its stories on Hurricane Katrina. (The Onion is a parody of the news, of course.):

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/40305

FEMA representatives call out to survivors, "Show us your tits for emergency rations!"

craneref
09-09-2005, 08:22 PM
The Onion had a similar idea as a photo caption in one of its stories on Hurricane Katrina. (The Onion is a parody of the news, of course.):

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/40305

Wait a minute, I thought the complaint was that FEMA didn't bother showing up for days, so was FEMA there immediately or not, seems like they weren't when talking bad about them and were when talking bad about them. I agree that things moved way to slow, but don't slam the workers for the shortcomings of their superiors, if this happened, I wam willing to bet it wasn't FEMA workers, especially since the press says they were not evern there.

SBK
09-10-2005, 12:03 AM
I can't believe that President Bush told the rescuers to do this!

Taco John
09-10-2005, 01:35 AM
I can't/don't believe it really even happened.

WilliamTheIrish
09-10-2005, 01:53 AM
So where's the link to this untrue story?

gblowfish
09-10-2005, 07:56 AM
So where's the link to this untrue story?Got it here: http://tinyurl.com/8j93j

Adept Havelock
09-10-2005, 09:20 AM
From the makers of Girls gone Wild, this limited edition, available on DVD, VHS,Beta, and 8-track, order "Evacuees Gone Wild"!!

You've never seen action like this before!

Seriously though. That's really pathetic. Some "rescuers" have a Karmic boomerang headed for them.

Dartgod
09-10-2005, 10:29 AM
"I could not have a lower opinion of the authorities, from the police officers on the street right up to George Bush," he said. I love how they manage to blame this isolated incident on Bush also. :rolleyes:

DanT
09-10-2005, 11:10 AM
Wait a minute, I thought the complaint was that FEMA didn't bother showing up for days, so was FEMA there immediately or not, seems like they weren't when talking bad about them and were when talking bad about them. I agree that things moved way to slow, but don't slam the workers for the shortcomings of their superiors, if this happened, I wam willing to bet it wasn't FEMA workers, especially since the press says they were not evern there.

The Onion article is a parody of the news, so it is not a genuine newspaper story. In order to answer your question, though, let me quote the text of the article that accompanies the photo caption I quoted earlier:

Government Relief Workers Mosey In To Help

NEW ORLEANS—Federal Emergency Management Agency director Michael Brown, leading a detachment of 7,500 relief workers, moseyed on down to New Orleans Monday afternoon. "Well, I do declare, it's my job to see if any of these poor folks need any old thing," Brown said from his command rocker on the command post porch, adding, "Mighty hot day, ain't it?" Follow-up teams of emergency relief workers are expected to begin ambling into the Gulf Coast region as early as this weekend. "They should be getting the trucks good and warmed up anytime now, and they'll be cruising into town just as soon as all the reservists stroll in," said Brown, who is currently at his desk awaiting offers of food, water, and evacuation buses to roll in from "somewhere or other."

You asked me when did FEMA arrive with the services described in the parody article above. It looks to me that some of the FEMA Search and Rescue folks had arrived and started to work on Wednesday and that the FEMA truck convoys with food and water started arriving and distributing supplies on Friday.

Details follow, with bolding added by me.
The FEMA site has a slideshow that includes photos of a FEMA Urbran Search and Rescue crew from Florida beginning operations on August 31 (the Wednesday following the Monday when Katrina made landfall in the region).
http://www.fema.gov/storm/katrina/photo_katrina1.fema?id=12

The FEMA site also has a press release from that same day describing aspects of the Federal response:

Federal response activities include:

http://www.fema.gov/news/newsrelease.fema?id=18497

As of early August 31, more than 54,000 people were in 317 shelters. FEMA is working with a multi-state housing task force to address expected continued sheltering and eventual housing needs. More than 82,000 meals have been served in the impacted areas.

More than 1,700 trucks have been mobilized through federal, state and contract sources to supply ice, water and supplies. These supplies and equipment are being moved into the hardest hit areas as quickly as possible, especially water, ice, meals, medical supplies, and generators. It may, however, take several days for supplies and equipment to reach all victims because of damaged and closed roads and bridges.
Eighteen of FEMA’s Urban Search and Rescue task forces and two Incident Support Teams are working in Louisiana and Mississippi Eight swift water teams from California are also deployed making a total of 1,200 people conducting search and rescue missions. All 28 of FEMA’s teams are activated for response, with the balance staged, enroute or mobilized.
Fifty-one teams from the National Disaster Medical System (NDMS) have been deployed, including five Disaster Medical Assistance Teams (DMATs) that are supporting New Orleans medical facilities and hospitals not fully operational. These teams have truckloads of medical equipment and supplies with them and are trained to handle trauma, pediatrics, surgery and mental health problems. Additional teams are staged in Anniston, Ala.; Camp Shelby, Miss.; and Baton Rogue, La., and will move out as conditions permit.
NDMS has identified 2,600 hospital beds in a 12-state area around the affected area and is working with the U.S. Departments of Defense and Veterans Affairs to move patients to these facilities.
USDA’s Food and Nutrition Service is providing food at shelters and mass feeding sites and issuing emergency food stamps, infant formula and food packages to households in need.
FEMA is coordinating logistics with the U.S. Department of Transportation and Louisiana National Guard in support of the ground evacuation of refugees sheltered at the Superdome in New Orleans to the Houston Astrodome in Harris County, Texas.
A team of 66 transportation experts is supporting state and local officials in the damage assessment of highways, railroads, airports, transit systems, ports and pipelines. The Department of Transportation is supporting detour planning and critical transportation system repairs.

The next press release I see from FEMA describing the arrival of the convoy of trucks with food and water for the folks in New Orleans is from two days later:

http://www.fema.gov/news/newsrelease.fema?id=18540

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Michael D. Brown, Department of Homeland Security's Principal Federal Officer for Hurricane Katrina response and head of the Federal Emergency Management Agency, called for patience in the wake of Hurricane Katrina.

"Response operations are being conducted over a disaster area of nearly 90,000 square miles -- the biggest single disaster response in our nation's history. This is a catastrophic event, and it takes time to get assets to victims over this large area," said Brown. "We ask for patience from individuals who may be uncomfortable but are safe while we conduct search and rescue efforts for those who are stranded and without commodities."

To date, Federal response activities include:

The sheltering and care of more than 91,000 hurricane victims. FEMA is supporting state partners, the American Red Cross and voluntary agencies, in ensuring that victims of the storms are in safe shelters with essential life-sustaining commodities. As of today, people are in 275 shelters in Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Louisiana, Mississippi, Tennessee and Texas.
The rescue of more than 4,800 people by FEMA Urban Search and Rescue (US&R) teams, the U.S. Coast Guard, and other federal, state and local rescue teams. All 28 of FEMA's US&R task forces have been deployed in response to Hurricane Katrina. Fourteen task forces and two Incident Support Teams are working in Louisiana and Mississippi and the remaining task forces are enroute. Eight swift water teams from California are also deployed making a total of approximately 1,800 US&R responding to this disaster.
The deployment of nearly 1,200 National Disaster Medical System (NDMS) personnel to support medical facilities and hospitals in Louisiana and Mississippi which are not fully operational. Teams are staged near disaster areas for immediate and rapid deployment further into the disaster zone once it is safe to do so. NDMS teams are also coordinating the transport of medical needs victims from New Orleans to Houston.
The coordination of nearly 16,000 law enforcement personnel including National Guardsmen, and federal, state and local police officers being sent to the stricken areas.
Convoys of food, water and ice which are arriving hourly in impacted areas.
The evacuation of thousands from New Orleans to Texas. FEMA has contracted for more than 650 buses to expedite the state-ordered evacuation.
President Bush has authorized 100-percent reimbursement to Louisiana for debris removal and emergency protective measures, including direct Federal assistance. The government normally pays 75 percent of these costs.

The earliest mention of FEMA distributing food in metro New Orleans that I have found on NOLA.COM (the Times-Picayune newspaper's website) is from Friday afternoon, September 2:

FEMA food distribution centers in Jefferson

6:05 p.m.

FEMA has established two food distribution centers in Jefferson Parish for residents running low on supplies following Hurricane Katrina.

The Alario Center, at 2000 Segnette Blvd. in Westwego.

Zephyr Field, 3000 Airline Drive in Metairie.

That is corroborated by a Fox News report, also from Friday, Sept. 2:

Relief Comes to New Orleans in Full Force
Friday, September 02, 2005

NEW ORLEANS — Thousands of National Guardsmen and women armed with food, water and weapons streamed into the hurricane-ravaged New Orleans on Friday to bring relief to the suffering and take back the streets from the looters and armed vigilantes.

Saulbadguy
09-12-2005, 08:00 AM
TTIWWOP.