PDA

View Full Version : OOPS! Original estimate of 10,000 dead in N.O. off by as much as 9,500!

Area 51
09-10-2005, 05:26 PM
It seems as if the early estimates was more pessimistic than realistic.

NPR reported Friday that 60% of those rescued when questioned about why they stayed behind was that they were not going to leave their homes.

Now who do we blame?

penchief
09-10-2005, 05:37 PM
outstanding news.

WilliamTheIrish
09-10-2005, 05:50 PM
Ya know, that 10k figure was thrown out there by the mayor during one of his rants. He had no clue.

besides, I have a feeling that it will be more than 500.

So don't be a D'nice and revel in wierd shiot.

penchief
09-10-2005, 06:16 PM
Ya know, that 10k figure was thrown out there by the mayor during one of his rants. He had no clue.

besides, I have a feeling that it will be more than 500.

So don't be a D'nice and revel in wierd shiot.

Actually, I think that figure was originally thrown out by the media and the mayor initially denied comment. But once it was determined that the figure was derived from computer models he basically agreed to those figures.

At least, that is the way I deciphered from the newscast that I watched.

Mr. Laz
09-10-2005, 06:20 PM
fantastic .. lets hope so

KC Jones
09-10-2005, 07:30 PM
great news!

This is the first I had ever heard of the 10,000 number

unlurking
09-10-2005, 07:38 PM
yeah, I had heard "thousands" and thought that sounded offly high

good to hear it is lower

memyselfI
09-10-2005, 08:41 PM
I'd venture to say that even at that low number it's still MORE THAN NEEDED TO DIE if this situation were handled properly.

Pitt Gorilla
09-10-2005, 09:02 PM
It seems as if the early estimates was more pessimistic than realistic.

NPR reported Friday that 60% of those rescued when questioned about why they stayed behind was that they were not going to leave their homes.

Now who do we blame?
This is wonderful news and you're looking to "blame" someone? How f*cking petty are you?

Saul Good
09-10-2005, 09:10 PM
This is wonderful news and you're looking to "blame" someone? How f*cking petty are you?

I think he was being facetious.

Logical
09-10-2005, 09:40 PM
Is all the water drained suddenly, if not there is no way to know the real number one way or the other. It would be great if it was only 500 but I doubt there is any way for NPR to actually know that.

However the good news is that they think they might have the water drained in as little as a month and they are indeed finding far fewer deaths than anticipated.

BigMeatballDave
09-11-2005, 01:24 AM
Actually, I think that figure was originally thrown out by the media and the mayor initially denied comment. But once it was determined that the figure was derived from computer models he basically agreed to those figures.

At least, that is the way I deciphered from the newscast that I watched.Yeah, I heard the mayor say the death toll would "Shock" the nation...

Taco John
09-11-2005, 02:18 AM
Some computer models predicted as high as 60,000+ deaths...

http://www.columbiatribune.com/2005/Sep/20050910News016.asp

mikey23545
09-11-2005, 05:42 AM

Maybe as petty as the liberals blaming George Bush for a hurricane?

KC Jones
09-11-2005, 06:52 PM

ROFL

That's quite an active imagination you have.

whoman69
09-11-2005, 10:39 PM
Nobody has blamed George Bush for a hurricane. They are blaming George Bush for his reaction, or lack thereof, to the hurricane. Five days to get food, water and medicine to people is ridiulous.

Area 51
09-12-2005, 07:21 AM
Nobody has blamed George Bush for a hurricane. They are blaming George Bush for his reaction, or lack thereof, to the hurricane. Five days to get food, water and medicine to people is ridiulous.

Shouldn't the immediate reaction have come from the State? Red Cross?

FEMA isn't the first responders, but NOW everyone seems to take folly in pointing fingers. This was a major disaster that has been blown out of proportion. First 10,000 dead!! Then we find that of those that were rescued 60% of them wouldn't leave their homes. The actual numbers of the dead are running well below 500 at the moment.

Let's just say that things could have been better, but due to many reasons it could have been worse and wasn't.

Correct what deficiencies we can see and try to anticipate what we can for future disasters.

HutchFan
09-13-2005, 01:24 AM
I'm telling you, Al Gore will demand a recount!

HutchFan
09-13-2005, 01:29 AM

The LA Governor admitted that she didn't want the military or the federal government involved originally. She was afraid her constituancy would be afraid of a military presence. The simple truth is that man has been battling nature for thousands of years and this is no different. I don't believe anyone should be criticized except for the people out there always looking for a person to pin the blame on, especially if it's a Republican.