PDA

View Full Version : Take-Aways from Week 1 vs. the Jets

htismaqe
09-11-2005, 03:15 PM
Last year's defense gave up 85 plays longer than 20 yards. They gave up five today, but two came on the last Jets drive when the game was way out of reach.

No 1st downs rushing.
Longest run 11 yards.
2.59 yards per carry.
I'm sure we all rememeber that this was against last year's NFL rushing champion.

The pass defense still needs alot of work, we got lucky that the Jets QB and WR's can't hang onto the ball. Pennington dropped 2 (or was it 3?) fumbles without being forced at all, and Coles dropped 2 sure TD's.

The LB's in particular need to do a better job, I don't know if it was DJ or Fox/Bell, but we have to get a better handle on the TE and the middle of the field.

Injuries are a concern on both sides of the ball.

The offense CAN function with injuries on the o-line. They just can't run the finesse game with Priest, they HAVE to feed the ball to LJ.

And finally Benny Sapp is a weapon at NCB.

htismaqe
09-11-2005, 03:17 PM
What a difference a year makes.

Kawika Mitchell had 5 solo tackles, 2 assists, and 2 recovered fumbles.

Derrick Johnson had 8 solo tackles, 1 assist, 1 sack, and 1 forced fumble.

Lzen
09-11-2005, 03:19 PM
Couple things.
I don't think the fumbles were all just the Jets shooting themselves in the foot. I think the defense came out and set the tone that led to the Jets and Pennington thinking about the blitzes.

We really look a lot better with Surtain in there (duh). And Sims going out early hurt the defense, as well. Hope those guys can come back soon. And I'll be so glad to get into October and have Warfield back.

Lzen
09-11-2005, 03:20 PM
Oh yeah, and Derrick Johnson looked really good today. He did make a few rookie mistakes but that was to be expected. He's gonna make one fine NFL linebacker.

siberian khatru
09-11-2005, 03:24 PM
The D pursuit, especially against the run, was tremendous. We obviously have greatly upgraded our speed.

Shag
09-11-2005, 03:24 PM
DJ and Bell definitely struggled in coverage - I'm hoping that's just them trying to learn a new system. Though, a knock on Bell has been his struggles in coverage. Definitely need to get that straightened out.

On the upside, DJ looked great today, outside of the couple blown coverages. Early stat lines have him leading the team in tackles - 8 tackles, 1 sack, 1 FF. Needs to be careful not to over-pursue - he was burned on at least one of the bootlegs (not sure ont he first). Showed a lot of speed running down plays. Great start for the rookie...

CB depth could be a huge concern in the coming weeks. McCleon looked horrid, as usual. Washington was terrible. Hopefully, Surtain will be back next week - if he's not, we could be in for a really long day. Even if he is, McCleon on Moss/Porter is NOT a comforting thought.

DL looked great, until Sims went out. After that, they seemed to lose their push. Blitzes were the only way they were getting pressure. Worked great this week, but things were considerably better with Sims in the game. Hope his injury is nothing serious.

htismaqe
09-11-2005, 03:26 PM
Great analysis all.

Son of Logical
09-11-2005, 03:27 PM
What I take away from this game is L.J. is better at running a single back offense then Priest. I am not knocking Priest, but when L.J. came in he was like a man possesed.

Logical
09-11-2005, 03:29 PM
LJ was a stud today

DJ is the real deal but needs to play within himself a little better

Run defense is vastly improved

Surtain is a stud (hope that concussion only keeps him out today) we are not a good defense without him just got lucky they had the dropsies

Trent was off big time normal beginning of season performance but he got the job done

O-line backs are barely adequate

Still no pressure from the defensive front four (hope Sims is okay)

Special teams suck

Tynes sucks

keg in kc
09-11-2005, 03:40 PM
Our pass defense without Sims and Surtain still looked better than just about any time last year. The speed at LB makes a huge difference. Hopefully both will be back in short order. When Warfield comes back, I think we'll have a hell of a pass D. But I don't think we can afford to lose Sims.

The tackling was impressive. Not perfect, but a big change from last year.

And Trent was fine. He struggled after Roaf went out. Black and Bober aren't the bookends we want to see. Hopefully Roaf and Sampson will both be back soon. Black was okay most of the time, but Bober was bad.

I hated losing the shutout.

Amnorix
09-11-2005, 03:51 PM
What I saw:

1. KC's linebackers were about 10,000% better in that game from what they were when the Pats played you guys last year (that might actually be the last Chiefs game I saw wire to wire).

2. Overall defensive speed greatly improved.

3. A Jets offense that had all kinds of weird "unforced" errors, mostly by Pennington.

4. Your offense is still plenty good.

Amnorix
09-11-2005, 03:52 PM
I hated losing the shutout.

I think it would've helped your defense's overall confidence a little to get the shutout, but in truth it wasn't earned. The hugely botched FG by the Jets, the Coles sure-fire TD easy catch that was dropped, etc.

keg in kc
09-11-2005, 03:53 PM
I don't think Pennington's mistakes are a mystery, he got hit a lot in the first half, and stripped several times. Arrowhead is a brutal place to play when that happens.

And it doesn't help that they couldn't run the ball. That probably impressed me more than anything, although that first "drive" we had was right up there.

keg in kc
09-11-2005, 03:55 PM
I think it would've helped your defense's overall confidence a little to get the shutout, but in truth it wasn't earned. The hugely botched FG by the Jets, the Coles sure-fire TD easy catch that was dropped, etc.Oh, I'm being anal more than anything. Sure, all the bounces went our way (first time that's happened in a long time; we were due), but we had the opportunity and blew it with :30 on the clock. 'course, in the past when that happened, we'd lose games, not shutouts.

Still, 7 points...I'll take it.

greg63
09-11-2005, 03:56 PM
Had to work but heard over the radio that we won 27-7. I also, heard that we have a few key injuries. I know it's early yet but does anyone have any injury updates?

keg in kc
09-11-2005, 04:08 PM
Had to work but heard over the radio that we won 27-7. I also, heard that we have a few key injuries. I know it's early yet but does anyone have any injury updates?Not really.

Only info I've heard is:

Richardson: right knee injury
Roaf: hamstring
Sims: sprained foot (no idea how serious)
Surtain: mild head trauma (concussion?)

It was also mentioned that Waters was having some back trouble, but I'm not sure if that was in reference to his problems during the week, or during the game.

htismaqe
09-11-2005, 04:10 PM
Sounds like we're all seeing the same things...

:clap:

keg in kc
09-11-2005, 04:12 PM
Almost forgot.

Colquitt...

Boom.

Shame about that third Tynes kick. He looked like he had it figured out before that.

tiptap
09-11-2005, 04:19 PM
The guess now is that next weeks trip to Oakland will be without Roaf and Sims. Richardson is a question mark and Surtain will be back.

We still have some secondary questions and next weeks passing game will be much more of a test. Oakland will have two extra days to get better and get ready. I think this is a much more difficult game coming up than Denver. Denver we can run on and there offense can't compeat but the Oakland offense may just be good enough against our defense to make it scoring feast.

It may be necessary to run with LJ right at Oakland.

htismaqe
09-11-2005, 04:21 PM
It's gonna suck if Sims can't play. He was really playing well early in the game.

I still think we can run the ball without Roaf...it's just that we have to do it with LJ instead of Priest.

keg in kc
09-11-2005, 04:24 PM
I don't know, I think we could (emphasis: could) match up well with Oakland. Moss and Porter will be a tall order, but Collins is the kind of quarterback we usually thrive against: statuesque. He fumbles a lot and he can be rattled. Turner will probably try to establish the run, too, and that looks like a strength of ours based on the (meaningless, I know) preseason and today's events.

Against the Pats, they seemed intent on long, slow-developing pass plays. That could work to our favor. What apparently (still) kills us is shorter, quick passing, and we're still having some trouble in the middle of the field.

But we need Surtain back, at the very least.

Should be a fun game, in any case.

Amnorix
09-11-2005, 04:32 PM
I don't think Pennington's mistakes are a mystery, he got hit a lot in the first half, and stripped several times. Arrowhead is a brutal place to play when that happens.

Not six fumbles worth. Your boys did NOT cause him to have six fumbles, many on center/QB exchanges, but that was out of control, and most were entirely self-inflicted wounds.

greg63
09-11-2005, 04:33 PM
Not really.

Only info I've heard is:

Richardson: right knee injury
Roaf: hamstring
Sims: sprained foot (no idea how serious)
Surtain: mild head trauma (concussion?)

It was also mentioned that Waters was having some back trouble, but I'm not sure if that was in reference to his problems during the week, or during the game.

I hope these guys can get back quickly.Thanks for the info.:thumb:

greg63
09-11-2005, 04:37 PM
…Although I don't know just how fast Roaf can bounce back from a hamstring injury, or Sims with a sprained foot. That's not something that is usually easy to rehab if it is severe.

keg in kc
09-11-2005, 04:38 PM
Not six fumbles worth. Your boys did NOT cause him to have six fumbles, many on center/QB exchanges, but that was out of control, and most were entirely self-inflicted wounds.He was stripped 3 times, IIRC. Not fluke plays at all, and enough to screw up a QB on its own, without the rest happening. Although there were some bizarre things, no doubt. I remember hearing some Jets fans unsure about how they'd do in the shotgun. Now we know why. It looked like a high school center/QB exchange a couple of times.

Either way, our sack total was only 3, but he was hit a lot more than that. And he had that...look that QBs get when they're out of synch. The haunted, deer in the headlights kind of thing, like he was wondering where the next hit was coming from or what the next screw up was going to be. You've seen that more than a few times in Foxboro, I know...

When people get like that, when they expect something to happen, it generally becomes a self-fulfilling prophesy.

Wallcrawler
09-11-2005, 04:42 PM
Not six fumbles worth. Your boys did NOT cause him to have six fumbles, many on center/QB exchanges, but that was out of control, and most were entirely self-inflicted wounds.

Chiefs D got half of them to their credit, which was still an outstanding showing forcing 3 fumbles on the QB.

2 bad shotgun snaps, and 1 bad exchange under center were the Jets shooting themselves in the foot.

The other 3 though, which is still a horrific day for any QB was the KC defense.

Knight knocked one loose before the throw, Allen stripped him on a sack, and Johnson brought back fond memories of #58 with that tomohawk chop strip of Pennington as he tried to escape.

Only Allen's ff was recovered by us by Patrick Surtain, and we got the one from the bad snap under center, which is usually a fumble that the offense easily recovers.

KCFANinNC
09-11-2005, 04:43 PM

WELCOME TO ARROWHEAD!!!!!

el borracho
09-11-2005, 04:47 PM
I like that we had few penalties. I would like to see us improve on Time Of Possession.

Bob Dole
09-11-2005, 10:19 PM
2 bad shotgun snaps, and 1 bad exchange under center were the Jets shooting themselves in the foot.

Bob Dole would credit the blitz for the muffed under center exchange.

Rain Man
09-11-2005, 11:03 PM
Top 5 positives for the Chiefs:

1. We stopped the run. That's a pleasant change.
2. The healthy offense was as strong as last year.
3. Even with our backup tackles in the game, the offense still moved the ball.
4. Our defensive line generated a pass rush.
5. Larry Johnson is a stud.

Top 5 negatives for the Chiefs:

1. Injuries. That was an expensive win. 2. We could've easily given up a couple of passing TDs. Our pass coverage isn't what it should be yet.
3. We were blitzing like heck. People will figure that out in another week or two if we don't change it up.
4. Tynes.
5. Our kick coverage could've been better.

philfree
09-11-2005, 11:16 PM
Top 5 positives for the Chiefs:

1. We stopped the run. That's a pleasant change.
2. The healthy offense was as strong as last year.
3. Even with our backup tackles in the game, the offense still moved the ball.
4. Our defensive line generated a pass rush.
5. Larry Johnson is a stud.

Top 5 negatives for the Chiefs:

1. Injuries. That was an expensive win. 2. We could've easily given up a couple of passing TDs. Our pass coverage isn't what it should be yet.3. We were blitzing like heck. People will figure that out in another week or two if we don't change it up.
4. Tynes.
5. Our kick coverage could've been better.

I think we should remember that we didn't have either of our real starting CBs in the game once Surtain went out. We need him bad next week and we need Sims. If those two can get healthy when Warfield gets back our D is gonna really kick.

PhilFree:arrow:

Wallcrawler
09-12-2005, 12:30 AM
Considering that Mcleon and Washington were the cornerbacks for 3/4 of the football game, I would say that 7 points allowed was a magnificent defensive job.

The defense, as a UNIT is getting the job done. The secondary was having a rough time, but the front 7 of the Chiefs really took it to the Jets offense. How many trips into the red zone did the Jets have without anything to show for it?

That was a very, very refreshing change.

Loved the stand on downs at the 3 yard line. The defense really wanted it. The attitude on defense has really, really improved. The Chiefs are no longer hanging their heads after a negative play, they are right back in their face on the next play wreaking havoc. Its good to see that the Jets did not get their red and gold doormat to walk all over with their new "vertical" offense.

Going from watching the defense give up 28 points per game, to just allowing a cosmetic score with just 30 ticks left on the clock is just awesome.

Gun called an awesome game. The defense was all over Pennington all day long. I can only imagine what this defense will be able to do at full strength, with everyone on the field.

Count Alex's Losses
09-12-2005, 12:35 AM
I can only imagine what this defense will be able to do at full strength, with everyone on the field.

Imagine Warfield and Surtain together.

Sapp may force the Chiefs to move McNugget to dime CB.

I noticed they didn't test McCleon deep at all. Wesley must have been doing his job over the top?

greg63
09-12-2005, 12:38 AM

...Except when you have a Defense that got as good a push up the middle as ours did for most of the game it is going to eventually cause a bad center/QB exchange whether the QB is right under center or in shot gun formation. I think the "D" had more to do with it, then the possibility of a mere fluke.

greg63
09-12-2005, 01:36 AM

I noticed they didn't test McCleon deep at all. Wesley must have been doing his job over the top?

OOOHHH YEEEAA!! :thumb:

KcMizzou
09-12-2005, 02:13 AM
I noticed they didn't test McCleon deep at all. Wesley must have been doing his job over the top? We know Wesley has it in him to play very well. If he can return to form, it'd help the secondary a ton. (and it wouldn't surprise me)

With the return of Warfield, improvement from Wesley, and the offseason aquisitions, we could realistically go from one of the worst secondarys in the league, to one of the better ones.

Same with the LB's.

Or maybe i'm just giddy over the win.

StcChief
09-12-2005, 08:10 AM
Take-aways from today. We had plenty :)

morphius
09-12-2005, 08:23 AM
What a damn fun game to watch. Yeah, they did drop a couple sure TD passes, but that was mostly late in the game when it was already out of reach.

IMO, it was DJ that was blowing coverage on the TE most of the day, he really needs to get that figured out before we start playing teams like Denver and the Chargers, teams that utilize their TE's a lot!

The only thing that bothered me about the game was the injuries, as someone else said, damn costly win. Especially if we have to play without Surtain and Roaf, while losing Sims and TRich hurt bad I think getting the other two back is more important.

As I said earlier in the week, I think the Jets run D stats for last year had a lot to do with who they played. Almost 200 yards yesterday, just wow. Could have 2 guys over 1000 yards rushing.

It was nice to see the D actually put someone on edge for a change, and the fact that we held them to one TD with Surtain on the bench does say something.

And the Chiefs lead the AFC West, just wow.

WilliamTheIrish
09-12-2005, 08:33 AM
Couple things.
I don't think the fumbles were all just the Jets shooting themselves in the foot. I think the defense came out and set the tone that led to the Jets and Pennington thinking about the blitzes.

We really look a lot better with Surtain in there (duh). And Sims going out early hurt the defense, as well. Hope those guys can come back soon. And I'll be so glad to get into October and have Warfield back.

RE Fumbles: I completely agree. IN one of the threads where we were doing a hatchet job on necksemen, he kept telling me how Kevin Mawae was some out of this world center. Although I never posted it, I remember Mawae getting owned by the Chiefs during his years with the Seahawks. The guy is undersized and we used to rough him up quite a bit.

True to form, Mawae had a horrible game. Snapped the ball over Penny's head twice and couldn't open up a lane for the cutback runnner Martin.

Mawae got ate up in run blocking and it showed.

Dartgod
09-12-2005, 08:40 AM
Almost forgot.

Colquitt...

Boom.
Punting average: 2 punts, 48.5 yds net.

It's nice to not be thinking, "Oh f***!" every time the punter steps on the field.

Lzen
09-12-2005, 08:47 AM
RE Fumbles: I completely agree. IN one of the threads where we were doing a hatchet job on necksemen, he kept telling me how Kevin Mawae was some out of this world center. Although I never posted it, I remember Mawae getting owned by the Chiefs during his years with the Seahawks. The guy is undersized and we used to rough him up quite a bit.

True to form, Mawae had a horrible game. Snapped the ball over Penny's head twice and couldn't open up a lane for the cutback runnner Martin.

Mawae got ate up in run blocking and it showed.

Yup, I remember Mawae with the Seahawks and him getting torn up by Gun's defenses in the 90s. I specifically remember the last game of the season in 1995 (I was at that game) and Mawae getting frustrated and committing a personal foul. He may have even gotten ejected that game. Can't remember for sure. Those defense were the type that come out and punch you in the mouth to set the tone for the rest of the game. Glad to see Gun's defense back to that this year. :thumb:

Dave Lane
09-12-2005, 09:49 AM

They were busy with Washington

Dave