PDA

View Full Version : My early take on this game ......

ROYC75
09-11-2005, 03:37 PM
Pass D sucks ........ Yes, we lost Surtaim, we lost Sims. But we can't continue to blitz as much to get pressure. It leaves us vularable to the slant, short passes.

The Jets killed themselves more than we created turnovers.

Offense was solid, but the injury to Roaf tell us how much we need him.

ST's let one big return come thru the middle of the seam.........

We did enough to win, but we must grow from the negatives.

KcMizzou
09-11-2005, 03:40 PM
I hated to see Sims go down. He looked good, and played with more passion than I've seen from him before.

beer bacon
09-11-2005, 03:40 PM
Pass D sucks ........ Yes, we lost Surtaim, we lost Sims. But we can't continue to blitz as much to get pressure. It leaves us vularable to the slant, short passes.

The Jets killed themselves more than we created turnovers.

Offense was solid, but the injury to Roaf tell us how much we need him.

ST's let one big return come thru the middle of the seam.........

We did enough to win, but we must grow from the negatives.

Our pass defense was fine in the first half. The Jets had 120 yards of total offense in the first half.

cdcox
09-11-2005, 03:41 PM
There were several plays where we got good pressure, but Pennington made the play to an open receiver. I'm thinking that if Warfield and Surtain are in, it will make a world of difference. If we can get to full strength and remain reasonably healthy, I'm not worried in the least.

ROYC75
09-11-2005, 03:43 PM
Our pass defense was fine in the first half. The Jets had 120 yards of total offense in the first half.

Over all, it sucked. We gave up 350 yards passing....... so what they went down. We have to have players step up. Can't expect the other team to go light on us because they are down.

Too many open passes that were dropped by the Jets were best defense.

keg in kc
09-11-2005, 03:47 PM
I'm shocked that the passing defense struggled after Sims and Surtain were hurt. Shocked, I tell you. It defies logic. Why, our 4th and 5th string DBs should step up and play like pro bowlers. Browning and Dalton should have dominated even though they were the only DTs available, and Wilkerson had to shift over to give either a breather.

We suck!

Dr. Chief
09-11-2005, 03:47 PM
We were missing our two best corners, what can you expect?

Our linebackers are awesome, they were flying everywhere and breaking up plays. DJ made some mistakes, but he'll learn.

We also learned how to tackle in the offseason. I was very impressed.

ROYC75
09-11-2005, 03:49 PM
I understand your comments about missing 2 guys, but we still have to find a way to get the job done better without those guys in the event they go down again.

Next week we get a pass happy Collins and some speedy recievers.

J Diddy
09-11-2005, 03:50 PM
I'm shocked that the passing defense struggled after Sims and Surtain were hurt. Shocked, I tell you. It defies logic. Why, our 4th and 5th string DBs should step up and play like pro bowlers. Browning and Dalton should have dominated even though they were the only DTs available, and Wilkerson had to shift over to give either a breather.

We suck!

ROFL

beer bacon
09-11-2005, 03:50 PM
Over all, it sucked. We gave up 350 yards passing....... so what they went down. We have to have players step up. Can't expect the other team to go light on us because they are down.

Too many open passes that were dropped by the Jets were best defense.

We gave up 160 yards or so at the end of the game. Our best defense was early in the game where our secondary made plays, and Pennington was running scared from our pressure. Our best defense was shutting down the run so we could tee off against the pass.

In conclusion: I WON'T LET YOU WIN ANOTHER CHIEFS OPENING GAME!

Wile_E_Coyote
09-11-2005, 03:51 PM
win the lottery & bitch about the taxes

KcMizzou
09-11-2005, 03:52 PM
win the lottery & bitch about the taxesROFL

Nice analogy

J Diddy
09-11-2005, 03:53 PM
I understand your comments about missing 2 guys, but we still have to find a way to get the job done better without those guys in the event they go down again.

Next week we get a pass happy Collins and some speedy recievers.

I think surtain will be back.

Life will go on.

Iowanian
09-11-2005, 03:54 PM
If Cledius Hunt is available.....He, Fatefehi and Dorsett Davis Need to be visiting KC this week.

IF....#49s knee is bad...which FBs are out there?

Hopefully, Sampson will be back if Roaf is dinged.

The Pass D could get TORCHED if McBurnon and Washingasoline-ton are starting vs Porter and Moss.

ROYC75
09-11-2005, 03:56 PM
I'm not getting caught into all this happy go lucky ga ga on the defense. The Jets shot themselves in the foot with the fumbles and dropped balls.

I was pleased with the quickness and the run D, but the pass D has holes and needs to be fixed. It starts up front.

chiefsfan1963
09-11-2005, 03:56 PM
take the win, but we have much to improve on both sides of the ball! Don't let this win masked our weaknesses! We have to have the same attitude as NE after their win....Brady stated that he'll take the win, but we have plenty room for improvement. This is a team that won 3 SB's the last 4. Let's have the same attitude!

keg in kc
09-11-2005, 03:58 PM
Take some midol. I know Scanlon didn't get on the field, but it's not the end of the world.

ROYC75
09-11-2005, 04:00 PM
Take some midol. I know Scanlon didn't get on the field, but it's not the end of the world.

Whatever, lighten up Francis.

Our D was a pleasant susprise, but we have issues to address, don't think so, Go ask Gun.

KcMizzou
09-11-2005, 04:01 PM
take the win, but we have much to improve on both sides of the ball! Don't let this win masked our weaknesses! We have to have the same attitude as NE after their win....Brady stated that he'll take the win, but we have plenty room for improvement. This is a team that won 3 SB's the last 4. Let's have the same attitude!

I hope the team sees it that way, but my attitude doesn't mean shit one way or the other.

We kicked ass, and I plan to enjoy it for a while.

keg in kc
09-11-2005, 04:02 PM
Whatever, lighten up Francis.Me lighten up? You're the one acting like it's a heavy flow day. We won. There's a whole week left to think about the thousand ways we could lose to Oakland. I'd enjoy it for a few seconds before clicking into full whine mode, but whatever floats your boat.

picasso
09-11-2005, 04:03 PM
ROFL

Nice analogy

No shit!!!
We do not suck!! It's better than a team that is completely one sided, NO defense at all. You guys think that the first game of the season the team needs to be going with all cylinders. Preseason was a joke in that the offense never got a rythm, even with that they kicked a playoff teams ass decidedly. Pisses me off you chiefs planet morons can't get that through your damn heads. Did enough to win I hear some say - MORONS!!! We smoked em.

Dallas just scored on San Diego and with a win by Dallas we are one up in the division. Whiney bastards, you make me sick.

Wallcrawler
09-11-2005, 04:10 PM
Theres just no pleasing some people.

Here the Chiefs are, proud owners of the league's worst defense a year ago, surrendering an average of 28 points per game, shutting out the Jets until 29 seconds left in the 4th quarter, with key defensive players out, and people STILL want to bitch.

Holy Jesus man, wake up. Yeah, the Jets had an off day. But if you choose to sit back and say that KC had NOTHING to do with that off day, then youre obviously cheering for the wrong football team and you need to move on.

Of the 7 fumbles, probably 3 were miscues by the Jets themselves. Knight forced one, Allen forced one, and Derrick Johnson forced TWO that I saw, not just the one that he was given credit for. He forced one on Pennington that the jets got back, and then forced another while tackling another ball carrier that the jets also recovered.

So 3 sacks, and 4 forced fumbles, and Surtain's pick that got taken back 52 yards before that fat f*** jumped on his back and took him out.

Last year's rushing champ held COMPLETELY in check. 20 carries for 57 yards, and then most of those yards he got were the draws that were on 2nd/3rd and forever yardage.

Wake up. The defense is VASTLY improved over last year. Yeah, you can always do thing better, but my God man, you have to realise that Rome wasnt built in a day and that this defense is off to a damn good start.

I could give a rats ass how many yards the Chiefs gave up. That doesnt decide who wins. Turnovers, and points allowed are how you measure a defense. I dont care if they drive 99 yards, as long as they keep them out of the endzone.

ROYC75
09-11-2005, 04:11 PM
You guys are putting way to much into what I typed.

Thrilled we won......... Happy as hell, esp. the Donks losing.

Do I see improvement on D ........ yes. Happy. But still concerned on our pass D.

Was this a well oiled machine ( Jets ) ....... No way. They dropped passes, multiple fumbles that we benefited from.

What set the tone in todays game was getting the 14 point lead early, that was critical.

htismaqe
09-11-2005, 04:13 PM
There's no getting around it...STOP BITCHING.

We saw a GREAT DEFENSE today, especially against the run...

ROYC75
09-11-2005, 04:15 PM
No intentions of this to be a bitching thread, I don't bitch, just only comments.

Wallcrawler
09-11-2005, 04:17 PM

A-f'in-men!!

Of all the great things that happened today, how anyone could single out the negatives is quite beyond me. I in no way expected a defensive performance like this in the opener. 29 seconds away from a shutout.

Some of you people want blood or something before youre satisfied.

htismaqe
09-11-2005, 04:19 PM
No intentions of this to be a bitching thread, I don't bitch, just only comments.

In my "thoughts" thread I posted that the LB's need to improve in covering the TE over the middle, and no one responded to me the way they did to you.

I think it might be because I didn't start my post with "Pass D sucks"...

ROYC75
09-11-2005, 04:27 PM
In my "thoughts" thread I posted that the LB's need to improve in covering the TE over the middle, and no one responded to me the way they did to you.

I think it might be because I didn't start my post with "Pass D sucks"...

Yep, it was to much for the kiddies to handle. :D

IMHO, I'm concerned with the Pass D. We didn't get the DL pressure until we blitz. That with the ( Jets )dropped passes and there is alot to be concerned about.

But hey, you have to have a 1st game to see where the areas are you need to work on.

Halfcan
09-11-2005, 05:12 PM
We gave up 7 meaningless points!! Give it a rest allready!!!

Count Alex's Losses
09-11-2005, 05:14 PM

If we keep running for 200 yards and hold the opponent to 60...we're going to win ALOT of football games.

htismaqe
09-11-2005, 05:38 PM
If we keep running for 200 yards and hold the opponent to 60...we're going to win ALOT of football games.

Bingo.

We need to continue to concentrate on stopping the run. Everything else will fall into line...

keg in kc
09-11-2005, 05:44 PM
Bingo.

We need to continue to concentrate on stopping the run. Everything else will fall into line...That's not entirely true. If the pass defense proves to be a weakness, it will be exploited. We need to continue to stop the run but also need to continue to pressure the QB. Both are important.

And it's too early to say whether either or both are good or bad.

Count Alex's Losses
09-11-2005, 05:46 PM
That's not entirely true. If the pass defense proves to be a weakness, it will be exploited. We need to continue to stop the run but also need to continue to pressure the QB. Both are important.

And it's too early to say whether either or both are good or bad.

San Diego's passing defense was ranked one spot ahead of ours. Yet they were 12-4.

Why?

They led the NFL in run defense.

dirk digler
09-11-2005, 05:46 PM
Ummm... I thought the pass defense was solid but not spectacular.

I don't get all the bitching after an opening day ass whooping of a playoff team that was a FG away from the AFC Championship last year.

keg in kc
09-11-2005, 05:50 PM
San Diego's passing defense was ranked one spot ahead of ours. Yet they were 12-4.

Why?

They led the NFL in run defense.Sandy Eggo is a horrible example. They were a mediocre team that had a freak season where everything went their way. I'd like to be a little more than they were, but, hey, if that's good enough for you....

Count Alex's Losses
09-11-2005, 05:52 PM
Sandy Eggo is a horrible example. They were a mediocre team that had a freak season where everything went their way. I'd like to be a little more than they were, but, hey, if that's good enough for you....

I don't think their season was an aberration.

There are other examples though. If you have a good run defense, pass defense ranking is vastly overrated.

The Jets threw it 44 times today.

keg in kc
09-11-2005, 05:58 PM
I don't think their season was an aberration.And I do. There are other examples though. If you have a good run defense, pass defense ranking is vastly overrated. Run defense is the initial concern - you have to stop the run - but if you think pass defense doesn't matter at all, you're a fool.

If you want what San Diego had last year, then fine. You can have that. I'd rather have the kind of D fielded by teams like Pittsburgh or Baltimore or Washington. And I think Gun wants that, too, with all his talk about "stuffing the run and then killing the QB".

Halfcan
09-11-2005, 06:23 PM
Were you guys even at the game today, or did you come up with all this doom and gloom from the tv announcers?

plbrdude
09-11-2005, 06:50 PM
You guys are putting way to much into what I typed.

Thrilled we won......... Happy as hell, esp. the Donks losing.

Do I see improvement on D ........ yes. Happy. But still concerned on our pass D.

Was this a well oiled machine ( Jets ) ....... No way. They dropped passes, multiple fumbles that we benefited from.

What set the tone in todays game was getting the 14 point lead early, that was critical.

why not say that in the first place
i'm thrilled to death we won. sure there's room for improvement, if'n we go 12-4 and win the stupid bowl, there's still gonna be room for improvement.plus if we're up by 17-20 points or so i expect to see opponents put a few passing yards up. enjoy the win till tomorrow morning then wake up and start thinking about how we'll beat the raiders.

Demonpenz
09-11-2005, 06:57 PM
I love how DJ just goes for the strip everytime he is going to cause alot of fumbles. He also took on blocks pretty well today. He was causing some major pileups from what I saw. LJ is obvouisly a beast, it's a good problem to have but i think if the coaches look at the tape and start seeing LJ can score on plays where preist gets 5 yards then priest might see less action. I heard people on the radio calling LJ to start, i will go with the old not broken don't fix it. Keep feeding it to priest and if doesn't work go to LJ. At any point where priest because an liablity i trust the coaching staff will turn over the riegns to LJ fulltime. what a difference speed makes on D i saw alot of plays that only went for 6 yards were as last year it would have been a 40 yard scamper

Count Alex's Losses
09-11-2005, 07:07 PM
Priest looked slow out there at times. I think LJ would have busted Priest's 35-yard run for at least 50.

NewChief
09-11-2005, 07:08 PM
On a bright note, Roy (since you seem all down in the dumps over us delivering a shelacking to the Jets). Your boy got a ST tackle.

B_Ambuehl
09-11-2005, 08:02 PM
I'm with Roy on this one and am a little concerned with the defensive play calling. I would rather not see this D rush the entire front 7 each and every passing down because the secondary is not good enough to get by with that even with Surtain and even with Warfield. Obviously it's great the D didn't give up points and the turnovers are great but we did give up 350+ yards passing and that could've easily been well over 400 if it weren't for mistakes by the Jets and those big plays were made on blitzing downs where you either live and look like a king or die and look like toast.

tommykat
09-11-2005, 08:06 PM
And dang near lost TK..........the heat killed me today. I saw Jazz............blahhhhh blahhhhh, what a cool lady...I'll read the post, didn't mean to hijack this..

Demonpenz
09-11-2005, 08:06 PM
Priest looked slow out there at times. I think LJ would have busted Priest's 35-yard run for at least 50.

There's going to also be plays where priest gets 20 yards where LJ gets stuffed. There's also going to be plays were priest catches the ball for a 10 yard gain where johnson gets hit in the head with the ball.

the Talking Can
09-11-2005, 08:08 PM

amen

and with our starting DT and both starting CBs....of course we "need to get better"...that goes without saying....

after 3 years of crapulous defense, today was a joy....pure joy

we we smart, fast, and hard hitting...and we'll get better...Bell, for example, will get a lot better..DJ will naturally get better (scary, huh?), and Surtain will eventually line up next to Warfield...

Count Alex's Losses
09-11-2005, 08:09 PM
There's going to also be plays where priest gets 20 yards where LJ gets stuffed. There's also going to be plays were priest catches the ball for a 10 yard gain where johnson gets hit in the head with the ball.

ROFL

good point

I think maybe it's best if we all stop bitching about who is better. I was very pleased to see Al get LJ the ball after worrying about it this offseason. They are obviously committed to it.

Count Alex's Losses
09-11-2005, 08:10 PM
Surtain will eventually line up next to Warfield...

AND THE TURNOVERS WILL FLOW LIKE WINE!!!!!!!!11

Demonpenz
09-11-2005, 08:10 PM
ROFL

good point

I think maybe it's best if we all stop bitching about who is better. I was very pleased to see Al get LJ the ball after worrying about it this offseason. They are obviously committed to it.

I know just because i have been debating it myself they are just two different kinds of backs. I think priest has lost a step but don't put him out to pasture just yet.

oldandslow
09-11-2005, 08:24 PM
What I saw today was a defense that stuffed the run, got all over the QB, had outstanding LB play, and were weak at the corners after Surtain's injury.

On offense - Priest + LJ = 198 yds and 3 tds. Man was that pretty.

I WAS/AM PUMPED.

I hoped to win today, but if anyone had said 27-7 I would have thought they were high.

Now I hope everyone gets well soon.

ROYC75
09-11-2005, 09:36 PM
Without a doubt, it will get better once Warfield is back. I like Sapp as a nickle back.

I seen alot of the 3-4 today as well, that gets more speed on the field when Fox goes in.

Again, I liked the run D, I see holes on the pass D. I see we need to tighten up ST's and get dipshit ( Tynes ) straighten out.

The injuries are disturbing with Oakland and Denver coming up on the road.

Man, it's great to have winning football again :D

penchief
09-12-2005, 01:28 AM

Priest is getting stuffed a lot more than LJ.

Johnson would have taken Priest's 35 yard run to the house.

LJ's TD run would have been a score from anywhere on the field. Once it becomes a foot race to the endzone, he's got what you call great game speed.

Johnson is also running over and through people. His second TD was very impressive. In fact, he looked good on every carry he had.

The pass that hit him in the helmet was a freaky play. Seems like Trent fired that thing pretty quick. Maybe LJ should have been ready for it but, all in all, Johnson has proven to be a good receiver out of the backfield.

LJ deserves more playing time.

tk13
09-12-2005, 01:57 AM
The thing I like most is that it appears by all accounts, at least so far through preseason and 1 regular season game, our run defense is legitimate. I think we had some good games defending the run last year, but at times teams probably didn't rack up that many rushing yards because they could have a field day through the air. We're still going to get beat deep, especially with the corners we have right now, but good front seven play can mask our corners well enough to win, I think.

If we can do that, and get leads like we got today, I think we are going to blitz a lot. That's what Gunther wants to do. We're going to blitz a lot anyway. We can get to Kerry Collins next week. That's going to be the best way to hold Moss in check I think, there's no way anybody in our secondary save Surtain can hang with him, and even he's not going to be perfect all the time against Moss, he's too good. We can put Collins on his back though, a lot, I think.

For some odd reason, I get the feeling even if we are missing a couple guys next week, we'll be alright. It'd be nice to get Kevin Sampson back next week though.

I'm really pleased with how the RB thing worked out. My thoughts all preseason were give Priest his 20-22 carries, use LJ as a good change of pace, don't over use him, it could turn LJ into an unbelievably deadly weapon. Not that LJ isn't going to be a good RB anyway, but I think you give him 10-12 carries keeping him "fresh" against a defense that's been chasing little Priest around, he could put up some sick, sick ypc numbers. It's like having a "special move" in a video game or something, you can't overuse it, but if you do it right it's unstoppable. Two superstar running backs, both of them fresh, both of them beating down a defense for 60 minutes. The inner Martyball in me is very strong this weekend. :)

KcMizzou
09-12-2005, 02:02 AM
I'm really pleased with how the RB thing worked out. My thoughts all preseason were give Priest his 20-22 carries, use LJ as a good change of pace, don't over use him, it could turn LJ into an unbelievably deadly weapon. Not that LJ isn't going to be a good RB anyway, but I think you give him 10-12 carries keeping him "fresh" against a defense that's been chasing little Priest around, he could put up some sick, sick ypc numbers. It's like having a "special move" in a video game or something, you can't overuse it, but if you do it right it's unstoppable. Two superstar running backs, both of them fresh, both of them beating down a defense for 60 minutes. The inner Martyball in me is very strong this weekend. :) I wanna see more LJ, simply because I'm a greedy bastard... but i suspect you might be right.

I just watched the game tape, and liked this quote by Phil Simms...

"Larry Johnson... he runs with a purpose, but it's like an "anger" almost. That's the best way to put it."

Indeed! :clap:

Gravedigger
09-12-2005, 02:12 AM
Ya but roy pass yards mean diddly when compared to the score. Yeah it could use some work but we didnt give up a "big" play all day. Our defense will only continue to improve and I thought our defense would be good but seeing it in motion at arrowhead was a dream come true.

tk13
09-12-2005, 02:14 AM
I don't know, maybe if you give LJ 30 carries he'll go for 200 yards and that'll be that. I don't know, I just don't think any RB in the NFL could do that every week, as good as he is, he's not running for 3200 yards in a season. Mixing it up today we ran for almost 200 yards, so we're on pace for over 3000. :) I like the idea of keeping both guys fresh though. I think we can be effective this way, keep both guys fresh, and pummel defenses. I can understand why everybody's chomping at the bit to see LJ more though. We'll see where it goes I guess.

Count Alex's Losses
09-12-2005, 02:15 AM
I'm just waiting for LJ to fumble a game away. This place will come down like the collapse of the USSR.

KcMizzou
09-12-2005, 02:16 AM
And maybe if LJ were "the man"... he'd lose a bit of that anger.

It's a fine line, I guess.

Whatever, as long as we're winning, I'm good. :)

penchief
09-12-2005, 12:50 PM
And maybe if LJ were "the man"... he'd lose a bit of that anger.

It's a fine line, I guess.

Whatever, as long as we're winning, I'm good. :)

I may be wrong but I don't think so. He's a coaches son, an incredible athlete, and fierce competitor. You don't rush for over 2000 yards in a college football season unless you have an ethic. He's a proud player and a physical freak. He's always acted like he has something to prove. I've never seen anything different and I don't suspect I ever will.

As I stated before, I think a lot of the talk about LJ playing better because he has a "fire," or is "angry," is justification not to give LJ the playing time he has proven he deserves. I agree with those who say that utilizing both players gives the chiefs a change of pace advantage. But Priest 2 to 1 over LJ is wrong. Their performance up to this point has shown that it should be the other way around. I think Priest should be the change of pace back. It's my opinion that Priest should be giving LJ a blow and not the other way around.

penchief
09-12-2005, 12:56 PM
I'm just waiting for LJ to fumble a game away. This place will come down like the collapse of the USSR.

Funny you should mention that. Has he fumbled yet?

ROYC75
09-12-2005, 01:01 PM
Ya but roy pass yards mean diddly when compared to the score. Yeah it could use some work but we didnt give up a "big" play all day. Our defense will only continue to improve and I thought our defense would be good but seeing it in motion at arrowhead was a dream come true.

True, but 3 caught passes by the Jets would have given them 21 points as well. The fact the Jets dropped the ball means they were in scoring range and didn't get it done. Going for it on 4th down twice with no score helped us.

I'm happy we won, but not happy with the pass D, injured or not. I'll give it we were solid without the injuries, but after it were not anything like we need to be.

For the many here happy as hell, we should be, but to looking ahead to playoffs and beyond......that's would be just foolish.