PDA

View Full Version : Our defense outplayed our Offense

HolmeZz
09-11-2005, 04:25 PM
Anyone else agree? :)

I felt out O looked great early, but even as early as the second quarter, we started to fall apart a little when we had chances to completely put the game away. I think the loss of Roaf played a part in that. I think our D was solid all the way through though and we were able to keep it up even without Surtain.

keg in kc
09-11-2005, 04:29 PM
I think the injuries hurt both units.

I also think the playcalling hurt us a little bit on offense; we didn't seem to be emphasizing what was working. We went from N/S running to lateral plays, and seemed to want to force the passing game when there wasn't all that much of a reason to.

The defense did struggle some after the Surtain injury, although not so much the run defense. The front 7 looked strong both with and without Sims, although noticably stronger with him, I thought. I think some of the things that hurt us in the passing game (defensively speaking) are fixable, mistakes by DJ, some problems with the zone coverage in the secondary. I think we can tighten it up.

It was a shame we didn't take greater advantage of the turnovers. While it's true that the Jets really helped us with drops and fumbles, the fact is that we really could have blown them out if the offense hadn't stalled a couple of times after the D handed them the ball.

Still, great game.

tiptap
09-11-2005, 04:29 PM
Anyone else agree? :)

I felt out O looked great early, but even as early as the second quarter, we started to fall apart a little when we had chances to completely put the game away. I think the loss of Roaf played a part in that. I think our D was solid all the way through though and we were able to keep it up even without Surtain.

No. The defense played on par with the offense but part of their success was the Jet's offense being so out of sync. I don't expect that many drops from Coles later in the season. What I saw was the secondary can still be victimized in the passing game. Mind you they are better than last year by miles but against say Oakland we will be truly strained if we don't get pressure against their QB.

The defense didn't play better.

HolmeZz
09-11-2005, 04:50 PM
What you're talking about is what happened after Surtain went out.

JOhn
09-11-2005, 04:53 PM
Defense was definitely better than last year, but no way did they out play the O.

We had some key injuries on both sides of the ball. The loss of players on the O impacted our game a lot, so we tended to be more vanilla and stick to the short passing game and running thus the Jets were better able to defend.

Both sides played goos today, but there is room for much improvement for both O & D.

cdcox
09-11-2005, 04:57 PM
I'm thinking TEAM.

I'm sick and tired of pitting the offense against the defense. We've had to do that crap since the day King Karl arrived. I'm so happy that we have real play makers on both sides of the ball. Both sides of the ball played winning football. Today, I don't need any artificial controversies, thank you.

picasso
09-11-2005, 05:04 PM
The only thing that I saw that I simply can not stand is Saunders running that throw out to the side if it be to Dante, Gonzo or to Priest. It never creates anymore than 2 to 3 yards and most of the time the receiver gets caught behind the line of scrimmage. I can't stand parallell plays to the line of scrimmage and it never fails that Saunders does it somewhere within the scheme of the game.

Tribal Warfare
09-11-2005, 05:04 PM
The Defense did a good job. Though KC's offense was very sharp until the injury bug snapped in. Roaf's hamstring, and more worrisome Tony Richardson's injury to his knee.Which looks like a patella problem that hopefully isn't very serious.

milkman
09-11-2005, 05:05 PM
I thought that both sides of the ball started the game, and played the first quarter in outstanding fashion.

The interception thrown by Green took away some of the offensive momentum, and then injuries made it difficult to refind that mo.

Ryan Sims was playing like a man on a mission, getting penetration and creating pressure from the front four, without blitz help.
After he went out, the pressure from the front four was really dampened, and then the loss of Surtain really created coverage issues on top of the lack of pressure.

I thought our blitzes were, overall, were better disgiused and executed than in the last four years, and resulted in a couple of those "unforced" errors.

It looked like Pennington was so concerned with the blitz, that he lost focus on the ball at the snap.

Tuckdaddy
09-11-2005, 05:11 PM
Gave up too many passing yards but super game anyway. Stuffed the run with force.

HolmeZz
09-11-2005, 05:16 PM
Gave up too many passing yards but super game anyway. Stuffed the run with force.

They were down 17-0 after the first 3 possessions and we didn't have Surtain for more than half the game. I can't complain about, what, 250 yards passing by Pennington?

Raiderhader
09-11-2005, 06:04 PM
I think the injuries hurt both units.

I also think the playcalling hurt us a little bit on offense; we didn't seem to be emphasizing what was working. We went from N/S running to lateral plays, and seemed to want to force the passing game when there wasn't all that much of a reason to.

The defense did struggle some after the Surtain injury, although not so much the run defense. The front 7 looked strong both with and without Sims, although noticably stronger with him, I thought. I think some of the things that hurt us in the passing game (defensively speaking) are fixable, mistakes by DJ, some problems with the zone coverage in the secondary. I think we can tighten it up.

It was a shame we didn't take greater advantage of the turnovers. While it's true that the Jets really helped us with drops and fumbles, the fact is that we really could have blown them out if the offense hadn't stalled a couple of times after the D handed them the ball.

Still, great game.

I pretty much agree with this take. Saunders play calling appeared very strong at first, and then went away from it, as usual.

The D kind of looked like the bend don't break D we came to loathe a couple of times, but I am not yet worried about it. The first game of the season with some new players, one a rookie, and some key injuries. The unit will continue to gel as the season progresses, and hopefully our injured players return quickly. Throw in the return of Warfield in week 5 and I am feeling rather comfortable right now.

Coach
09-11-2005, 06:15 PM

Close to halftime, Pennington had 100 yards of passing. That's before Surtain got injured.

Now we're playing with our #3 and 4 CB's in Mc Passon and Washington. That's why there was a huge spike in passing yardage.

I'm more concered about the wide open in the middle of the field than the outside as of this moment.

KChiefsQT
09-11-2005, 06:48 PM
I'm not so sure about OUTPLAYING our offense... but they did a helluva job. The offense should count on the d to hold the other team to minimal points... this is a whole new look IMO. and... I'M LOVING IT!!!!!!!