PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs D won't be soft. Latest Whitlock Article

BigRedChief
09-11-2005, 07:33 PM
Chiefs show they won't be soft this season
By JASON WHITLOCK
Kansas City Star
KANSAS CITY, Mo. - There were many reasons to leave Arrowhead Stadium on Sunday in awe of what we witnessed from Lamar Hunt's Chiefs.

Rookie linebacker Derrick Johnson made his debut with nine tackles, a forced fumble and a sack.

Larry Johnson rushed for 110 yards and two touchdowns on just nine carries.

Kansas City's defense, a leaguewide joke for three years, held the New York Jets scoreless for 59 minutes, 30 seconds.

The Chiefs shook off injuries to left tackle Willie Roaf (hamstring), defensive tackle Ryan Sims (foot), cornerback Patrick Surtain (knocked unconscious) and fullback Tony Richardson (knee) and made Herman Edwards' Jets look like an expansion team.

In demolishing a team that some NFL experts consider a Super Bowl threat - 27-7 - the Chiefs demonstrated remarkable resolve and a dash of defensive creativity. But what was most impressive, most memorable about Sunday's performance, was the physical beating the Chiefs laid on the Jets.

That's what has been missing from Dick Vermeil's Chiefs. They've never been nasty and consistently physical on both sides of the ball . . . until now.
Today the Chiefs might have a longer injury report than the Jets, but there's no question which team was the most physical on Sunday.

Kansas City opened the game running left behind Roaf and Brian Waters, K.C.'s two most physical players, on three consecutive plays. The result was breathtaking -_ 75 yards and a touchdown_and symbolic of what would transpire over the next three hours.

It was as if general manager Carl Peterson had given his coaching staff specific instructions to demonstrate as quickly as possible that Hunt's cash was spent this offseason to remove the "soft" tag from the Chiefs.
Following the lead of their offense, Kansas City's revamped defense took the field and backed Roaf and Waters' message. Rotating among 4-3, 3-4 and nickel looks, defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham's unit established a new line of scrimmage, crawled inside New York quarterback Chad Pennington's head, filled Curtis Martin's running lanes and turned receiver Laveranues Coles into a coward.
The Jets rushed for 57 yards and averaged 2.5 yards per carry. They didn't pick up one first down by running the football. In contrast, the Chiefs had 10 first downs on the ground.
"There's nothing like having talent," Vermeil said, referring to his defense.

The Chiefs hadn't played this brand of physical, defensive football since 1997, since Derrick Thomas, Donnie Edwards, Anthony Davis and Wayne Simmons formed K.C.'s linebacking corps. We won't know for some time how good Kansas City's current group of backers is, but Johnson, Kendrell Bell, Kawika Mitchell and Keyaron Fox showed sustained flashes of greatness Sunday.
Johnson, looking like a young Derrick Thomas, stripped Pennington on a sack and was one of K.C.'s two leading tacklers. Mitchell recorded seven tackles and recovered two fumbles. Together, K.C.'s linebackers combined for 20 tackles.

The quartet is so good that Cunningham, normally a 4-3 coach, ran 12 to 15 plays of 3-4 on Sunday.

"We didn't really start working on it (3-4) until we got back here (from Wisconsin)," said defensive tackle Lional Dalton. "We have too many good linebackers; we have to play it. I think we're going to do a lot of it."
It makes total sense. Kansas City's deepest and most talented position (besides running back) is linebacker. Even before Sims injured his foot, the Chiefs were thin along the defensive line and thinking about getting four linebackers on the field as often as possible.

"They told me to be ready to play, that it (3-4) was in the game plan," said Fox, K.C.'s fourth linebacker.

There was at least one other sign of Cunningham's desire to play 3-4. Defensive tackle Junior Siavii was inactive for Sunday's contest. Depth along the defensive line isn't as important when you need only one interior tackle, which can be handled by Sims, Dalton and John Browning.

Of course, defensive linemen prefer to play in a 4-3 because that defense makes it easier for them to rush the passer. Defensive ends get to line up on the edge of an offensive tackle and play one gap.
"But the 3-4 is better against the run," Dalton said. "And if you stop the run, you get more chances to rush the passer."

Jared Allen recorded a sack, and Eric Hicks found his way into the Jets' backfield on several occasions. For one game, Kansas City's defense worked flawlessly.

"I think we proved that we have a defense that can stand up against anybody," said Johnson, sounding a little like a boastful rookie.
The Chiefs proved they won't be soft this season, and that was the perfect way to start the season.

|Zach|
09-11-2005, 07:44 PM
Cool write up

milkman
09-11-2005, 07:48 PM
Props to Whitlock.
He wrote an article that doesn't suck.

He makes a good point.

The Chiefs did play a physical game on defense, which we haven't seen in some time around here.

He must've read the planet, cause I think I've seen that mentioned a couple of times here.

|Zach|
09-11-2005, 07:50 PM
Props to Whitlock.
He wrote an article that doesn't suck.

He makes a good point.

The Chiefs did play a physical game on defense, which we haven't seen in some time around here.

He must've read the planet, cause I think I've seen that mentioned a couple of times here.
I would like to apologize to those of you who have heard me say this a million times but....

What could a writer possibly write that hasnt been mentioned on here.

And dont you think its funnt that the first thing you write is said about every other article Whitlock writes. Its amazing.

Count Zarth
09-11-2005, 07:51 PM
Basically, Gunther finally ripped all the pussy mentality out of the Chiefs defensive players' heads.

It took 20 games and two offseasons.

Deberg_1990
09-11-2005, 07:54 PM
"The quartet is so good that Cunningham, normally a 4-3 coach, ran 12 to 15 plays of 3-4 on Sunday"

This is encouranging. Gunther is being flexible and playing to his teams strenghts. I think many around here have mentioned that we should play a 3-4 as well.

ArrowheadHawk
omg he wrote an article that didn't suck

Mr. Laz
i bet people will be shocked to see how positive Whitlock will be when they chiefs REALLY give reason to be like they did today.

i feel better about this win than most of the wins we had when we went 13-3 year before last.

better win ... better team

don't look like a paper dragon this time around

milkman
09-11-2005, 07:55 PM
I would like to apologize to those of you who have heard me say this a million times but....

And dont you think its funnt that the first thing you write is said about every other article Whitlock writes. Its amazing.

Everyone has different opinions.

Others have found previous Whitlock articles worthwhile.

This just happens to be the first I can remember that I found worth a shit.

tommykat
09-11-2005, 07:58 PM
Basically, Gunther finally ripped all the pussy mentality out of the Chiefs defensive players' heads.

It took 20 games and two offseasons.
:hmmm: Did you read that from the game day paper given to us today? Great artical with "Hicks" on the defenses....

Just awesome today and good to see a good read......:thumb:

ArrowheadHawk
09-11-2005, 07:59 PM
im so glad we won't be the laughingstock of the leauge this year

keg in kc
09-11-2005, 08:03 PM
i bet people will be shocked to see how positive Whitlock will be when they chiefs REALLY give reason to be like they did today.

i feel better about this win than most of the wins we had when we went 13-3 year before last.

better win ... better team

don't look like a paper dragon this time aroundBrief history lesson. I remember someone, we'll leave him nameless to protect the innocent, on opening weekend 2003 gushing about how great Vonnie Holliday was, and how great our defense had played, on the heels of a 27-14 complete domination of the San Diego chargers.

I think we need to remember that game. Today was great but it was only one game. Let's hope it's a sign of things to come, and not the exception seen before the rule's established.

I'm enjoying the hell out of it tonight, but I need to see it again Sunday. I'd love to see the same kind of play against a Raiders team that looked very dangerous for one drive Thursday, but sloppy and undisciplined the rest of the game.

Valiant
09-11-2005, 08:30 PM

I think it has more to do with fatlock writing articles saying the 'same old chiefs' yesterday, and picked them to lose this game...

Mr. Laz
09-11-2005, 08:36 PM
I remember someone, we'll leave him nameless to protect the innocent, on opening weekend 2003 gushing about how great Vonnie Holliday was
i don't gush... :harumph:

but yes ... exuberance should be moderated with reason

CHIEFS RULE THE WORLD!!!! PBJ :moon: :p :rockon: :moon: WooWoo PBJ

CoMoChief
09-11-2005, 08:51 PM
You guys, it was only one game. We lost alot of people due to injurues. We still have to be skeptical about these first 4 games (well, next 3 that is). McCleon still sucks, and has proven that he cant cover dick, I was really excited about Sims this year (for once) and it kinda sounds like he's hurt kinda bad. Surtain should be fine. I'm very worried about TRich and Roaf because I still don't believe that our defense can soley win games for us. I don't feel confident with Bober replacing Roaf. They racked up almost 400 yards passing on us.

I'm not trying to ruin anybodys bragging rights about the game but it seemed today that the Jets more so beat themselves rather than us stopping them (with exception to the run - after the 2nd preseason game I knew we were gonna a be good run stopping team). I think we needed this win though, as a confidence builder to go into next week and shred the Raiders, man I can't wait. I'm VERY sick and tired about hearing the whole "we got Randy Moss and Lamont Jordan" thing. News flash Raiders fans, Jordan didn't do dick Thurs night. Moss is Moss, but he can't soley win games for any team in this league. It all starts up front with the Oline and Oaklands Oline isn't that good IMO. We'll take the win with the Jets, no doubt to that, but I just wanna get through these first 4 weeks with a winning record.

PS - DENVER IS GONNA SUCK THIS YEAR!!! I dont care if its the first game of the season. Miami is too terrible of a team to lose to, and every win counts now, especially in the AFC West. Denver needed to win that game. Now they are really questioning themselves about how bad they really suck. Losing to Miami or SF (haha ****in Rams) is a big time confidence buster.

bringbackmarty
09-11-2005, 08:54 PM
scheme has to fit what you have on the roster, everyone has a role to fill. 3-4 makes sense for this team right now.

bringbackmarty
09-11-2005, 08:56 PM
I think we will go 3-1, with our only loss to choakland next week.

Demonpenz
09-11-2005, 08:59 PM
could you imagine if chad johnson opened his yap against this Defense?

the Talking Can
09-11-2005, 09:04 PM
Sims injury may force us into a 3-4...did Browning play today?

Brock
09-11-2005, 09:06 PM

Played damn well, actually.

milkman
09-11-2005, 09:07 PM

Yeah, and he was his usual sturdy self.

the Talking Can
09-11-2005, 09:07 PM

good...I didn't get to watch the game as closely as I wanted....damn "company"

milkman
09-11-2005, 09:11 PM
good...I didn't get to watch the game as closely as I wanted....damn "company"

The season opener, and you allowed company to distract you from the game.

Hell, Id'a kicked their asses out, and it wouldn't have to be the opener even.

Herzig
09-11-2005, 09:11 PM
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=121115

beer bacon
09-11-2005, 09:15 PM
Regarding injuries, it sounds like from DV's interview that everyone but Roaf should be back for next week, and that they are all relatively minor.

BigRedChief
09-11-2005, 10:02 PM
i don't gush... :harumph:

but yes ... exuberance should be moderated with reason
CHIEFS RULE THE WORLD!!!! PBJ :moon: :p :rockon: :moon: WooWoo PBJ

So we are to assume you are happy?

Wallcrawler
09-11-2005, 10:56 PM
You guys, it was only one game. We lost alot of people due to injurues. We still have to be skeptical about these first 4 games (well, next 3 that is).

Why do we have to be skeptical? I was unaware that having an optimistic view of the team was out of the ordinary. If focusing on the negative is what gets it up for you, hey, great. But dont force that viewpoint on everyone else.

McCleon still sucks, and has proven that he cant cover dick,

Yeah, he gave up sooo many scores today didnt he? Here the "clairvoyants" around here were predicting that all teams would have to do is throw Dexter's way and it was an easy score. Why dont you try complaining about someone that actually hurt the team, instead of a guy just filling in because Eric Warfield f'ed up off the field. Maybe if you were complaining about Dewayne Washington and the 2 scores he would have given up had Coles been able to catch anything thrown to him, I could see it.

Give it a rest. Mcleon did a good enough job for the defense to get off the field, and win the football game.

They racked up almost 400 yards passing on us.

Your point?

Last I checked, yardage wasnt a deciding factor on the scoreboard. You still have to cross the goal line to accumulate points. The Chiefs did not allow that to happen until there was only 30 seconds left and they had a 27 point cushion.

You can have a 99 yard drive, but if you cant get that last yard, your drive is worthless.

The Chiefs gave up 342 yards passing, and 57 rushing. 399 yards of total offense, but only surrendered one touchdown. Thats good defense in my book.

Turnovers, and points allowed are in my mind, how you measure your defense. I dont care if the Chiefs are giving up 500 yards a game. As long as they arent allowing touchdowns, it doesnt really matter.

Holding the Jets scoreless for 59 1/2 minutes even with Mcleon and Washington on the corners, and Sims, Surtain, and Warfield on the sidelines was still damn good, I dont care how you spin it.

whoman69
09-11-2005, 11:04 PM
Teicher could have never written this story. It actually involves getting information first hand instead of Teicher's usual method of printing Capt. Obvious stories from what he has read.

buddha
09-12-2005, 12:15 AM
It makes total sense. Kansas City's deepest and most talented position (besides running back) is linebacker.

Music to my ears. When was the last time you heard that comment being made and it being TRUE?

KcMizzou
09-12-2005, 01:24 AM
Music to my ears. When was the last time you heard that comment being made and it being TRUE? The mid 90's

BigRedChief
09-12-2005, 07:22 AM
Randy Moss is going to possibly have a career day with McCleon and Washington and that scares the hell out of me.

We need to make sure that Collins doesn't have time to throw the ball deep or we are screwed. Or maybe we just need some old fashioned MartyBall and grind it out and keep Moss on the sidelines.

Rausch
09-12-2005, 07:30 AM

Browning was also a solid lineman in our 3-4, but I'm sure a stud secondary and DT had a lot to do with that...

Rausch
09-12-2005, 07:32 AM
Randy Moss is going to possibly have a career day with McCleon and Washington and that scares the hell out of me.

We need to make sure that Collins doesn't have time to throw the ball deep or we are screwed. Or maybe we just need some old fashioned MartyBall and grind it out and keep Moss on the sidelines.

Exactly.

Keep the defense fresh and Moss off the field. The more balls Moss has thrown his way the greater the chance he breaks a big one.

The strength of this offense is now the run (even more so if Roaf misses next week.)

MOhillbilly
09-12-2005, 07:39 AM
The defenses performance was offset by the jets lack of, on offense.
KC should have put 40 on the jets.