PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs defense, Bengals' Palmer impress by Shannon Sharpe... heh.

Ari Chi3fs
09-12-2005, 07:30 AM
Chiefs defense, Bengals' Palmer impress
By Shannon Sharpe
Special to NFL.com

(Sept. 11, 2005) -- The first week of the NFL season is always exciting. The one thing that fans and teams need to keep in mind is that no Super Bowl has ever been won or lost in Week 1 of the season. So for all those teams that won, don't get too cocky. It's still early. And on the flip side, for those teams that lost, don't lose hope. There is still a long way to go.

I was most impressed with the Chiefs defense. After watching the defense destroy the Chiefs' season last year, it was nice to finally see the unit put together a great game. The offense scored at will against the Jets and Priest Holmes and Larry Johnson looked terrific splitting the carries. But it was the defense that finally played like the Chiefs have needed them to.

Meanwhile, the Jets looked like a disaster. I never felt they looked comfortable out there, especially Chad Pennington. It looked like he was forcing the ball and trying to do too much. It's a new system, which always results in growing pains, but there was no rhythm to their offense.

Who else looked good Carson Palmer. The Bengals quarterback had a great day (26 of 34 for 280 and two touchdowns) and he is going to have a good year. He is definitely a player to watch this year, along with the rest of the Bengals' position players -- Chad Johnson is solid; Rudi Johnson is solid; T.J. Houshmandzadeh is solid. Now their offensive line is giving better protection and I think the Bengals are going to be good this year.

Not surprised by the Saints. I expected New Orleans to win against the Panthers. Some things are just bigger than football and the Saints had more to play for than football. World events like Hurricane Katrina and its aftermath touched us all, but for the Saints, they saw things up close firsthand and it helped the team to focus and rally together against the Panthers.

Who else didn't surprise ... Tampa Bay and Denver. It's no surprise to me that the Bucs won since they have a good team, solid quarterback play and good coaching.

As for Denver, as surprising as it was for some people to see Miami win, I wasn't surprised by how poorly the Broncos played. They simply are not able to do anything offensively. And on defense, they have a bunch of young players who are new to the system. Once again, they had turnovers from the quarterback position, same as they did last year.*

David Carr could not deliver for Houston in Buffalo. *
Flying under the radar David Carr. How long are we going to give him a free pass? Everyone is all over Joey Harrington, saying that he needs to show us something this year or he'll never be anything, but has anyone seen Carr's record? With the Texans' loss to the Bills, Carr has a career 14-30 record while Harrington is 15-30 after Detroit's win over the Packers.

Most fun to watch today Willie Parker. This guy is the home-run threat that the Steelers have never had. They have Jerome Bettis and Duce Staley, both great runners that can pound it, but Parker, with his 209 all-purpose yards, was special today.

Monday night preview It's hard to pick against Atlanta at home. Michael Vick is simply a different player at home than on the road. He's a different player on turf and he's sure to be fired up to prove his doubters wrong on Monday night.

As for Terrell Owens, the Falcons will put DeAngelo Hall on him and they will assign him help when he goes over the top. Atlanta led the league in sacks and rushing last year and Philly can't stop the run. That combination will lead to a Falcons victory.

Lzen
09-12-2005, 08:16 AM
Wow, Shannan actually giving praise to the Chiefs. Amazing.

But as for his brother, SCREW YOU, STERLING SHARPE!! 4321

Mr. Laz
09-12-2005, 08:27 AM
David Carr could not deliver for Houston in Buffalo. *
Flying under the radar David Carr. How long are we going to give him a free pass?
well i think that fact that houston refuses to get him a decent offensive line has something to do with the "free pass"

dude has been sacked more than any other QB every year he's been in the league ... they are just killing him.