PDA

View Full Version : Katrina: Fed responce faster than previous thought. Damn this suck for the Bush hate

MarcBulger
09-12-2005, 07:40 AM
Jack Kelly: No shame
The federal response to Katrina was not as portrayed
Sunday, September 11, 2005

It is settled wisdom among journalists that the federal response to the devastation wrought by Hurricane Katrina was unconscionably slow.

Jack Kelly is national security writer for the Post-Gazette and The Blade of Toledo, Ohio (jkelly@post-gazette.com, 412-263-1476).

"Mr. Bush's performance last week will rank as one of the worst ever during a dire national emergency," wrote New York Times columnist Bob Herbert in a somewhat more strident expression of the conventional wisdom.

But the conventional wisdom is the opposite of the truth.

Jason van Steenwyk is a Florida Army National Guardsman who has been mobilized six times for hurricane relief. He notes that:

"The federal government pretty much met its standard time lines, but the volume of support provided during the 72-96 hour was unprecedented. The federal response here was faster than Hugo, faster than Andrew, faster than Iniki, faster than Francine and Jeanne."

For instance, it took five days for National Guard troops to arrive in strength on the scene in Homestead, Fla. after Hurricane Andrew hit in 2002. But after Katrina, there was a significant National Guard presence in the afflicted region in three.

Journalists who are long on opinions and short on knowledge have no idea what is involved in moving hundreds of tons of relief supplies into an area the size of England in which power lines are down, telecommunications are out, no gasoline is available, bridges are damaged, roads and airports are covered with debris, and apparently have little interest in finding out.

So they libel as a "national disgrace" the most monumental and successful disaster relief operation in world history.

I write this column a week and a day after the main levee protecting New Orleans breached. In the course of that week:

More than 32,000 people have been rescued, many plucked from rooftops by Coast Guard helicopters.

The Army Corps of Engineers has all but repaired the breaches and begun pumping water out of New Orleans.

Shelter, food and medical care have been provided to more than 180,000 refugees.

Journalists complain that it took a whole week to do this. A former Air Force logistics officer had some words of advice for us in the Fourth Estate on his blog, Moltenthought:

"We do not yet have teleporter or replicator technology like you saw on 'Star Trek' in college between hookah hits and waiting to pick up your worthless communications degree while the grown-ups actually engaged in the recovery effort were studying engineering.

"The United States military can wipe out the Taliban and the Iraqi Republican Guard far more swiftly than they can bring 3 million Swanson dinners to an underwater city through an area the size of Great Britain which has no power, no working ports or airports, and a devastated and impassable road network.

"You cannot speed recovery and relief efforts up by prepositioning assets (in the affected areas) since the assets are endangered by the very storm which destroyed the region.

"No amount of yelling, crying and mustering of moral indignation will change any of the facts above."

"You cannot just snap your fingers and make the military appear somewhere," van Steenwyk said.

Guardsmen need to receive mobilization orders; report to their armories; draw equipment; receive orders and convoy to the disaster area. Guardsmen driving down from Pennsylvania or Navy ships sailing from Norfolk can't be on the scene immediately.

Relief efforts must be planned. Other than prepositioning supplies near the area likely to be afflicted (which was done quite efficiently), this cannot be done until the hurricane has struck and a damage assessment can be made. There must be a route reconnaissance to determine if roads are open, and bridges along the way can bear the weight of heavily laden trucks.

And federal troops and Guardsmen from other states cannot be sent to a disaster area until their presence has been requested by the governors of the afflicted states.

Exhibit A on the bill of indictment of federal sluggishness is that it took four days before most people were evacuated from the Louisiana Superdome.

The levee broke Tuesday morning. Buses had to be rounded up and driven from Houston to New Orleans across debris-strewn roads. The first ones arrived Wednesday evening. That seems pretty fast to me.

A better question -- which few journalists ask -- is why weren't the roughly 2,000 municipal and school buses in New Orleans utilized to take people out of the city before Katrina struck?

Radar Chief
09-12-2005, 07:47 AM
Got a link?

Chieficus
09-12-2005, 08:40 AM
Got a link?

I think he probably found it here:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05254/568876.stm

InChiefsHell
09-12-2005, 08:57 AM
:clap:

Excellent article. About damn time a voice of reason about this mess is heard.

Radar Chief
09-12-2005, 09:06 AM
I think he probably found it here:

Thanks. :thumb:

Mr. Laz
09-12-2005, 09:10 AM
dam media ... it's all their fault

Mr. Laz
09-12-2005, 09:11 AM
:clap:

Excellent article. About damn time a voice of reason about this mess is heard.
translation- i finally found somebody that would say what i wanted to hear

:moon:

Area 51
09-12-2005, 09:19 AM

Translation of the translation - Crap, someone finally found someone that has actually compared this disaster to others of similar magnatude and found that it wasn't the abortion I have determined it was.

mlyonsd
09-12-2005, 09:21 AM

Yea well I guess it's all who you talk to.

Yesterday morning on the Weekend Today show they interviewed the Mayor of Myrtle Beach, SC about the latest hurricane. The interviewer made the mistake of asking him why he thought FEMA's response was so bad in NO. He came right back with FEMA is being made the scapegoat and the local/state officials were passing the buck. He said the evacuation is the responsibility of the local officials and that the Myrtle Beach plan is not to call for federal assistance until after the hurricane is over.

Then on Meet The Press Tim Russert finally started asking some hard questions of the NO mayor. They showed a graphic of the actual NO evacuation plan. It specifically states the evacuation is the responsibility of the mayor. He also asked Nagin when it was determined before the storm that the Superdome was going to be used as a shelter why it wasn't loaded with food/water. The mayor's response was when the call went out to take cover in the Superdome people were also asked to bring 2-3 days of non-perishable food.

Total incompetance.

So yea, there is plenty of blame to go around where everyone can find someone saying what they want to hear.

Boyceofsummer
09-12-2005, 09:23 AM
patting yourselves on the back!

Bush Lifts Wage Rules for Katrina
Reuters
Friday 09 September 2005

President signs executive order allowing contractors to pay below prevailing wage in affected areas.
Washington - President Bush issued an executive order Thursday allowing federal contractors rebuilding in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina to pay below the prevailing wage.

In a notice to Congress, Bush said the hurricane had caused "a national emergency" that permits him to take such action under the 1931 Davis-Bacon Act in ravaged areas of Alabama, Florida, Louisiana and Mississippi.

The Davis-Bacon law requires federal contractors to pay workers at least the prevailing wages in the area where the work is conducted. It applies to federally funded construction projects such as highways and bridges.

Bush's executive order suspends the requirements of the Davis-Bacon law for designated areas hit by the storm.

Bush's action came as the federal government moved to provide billions of dollars in aid, and drew rebukes from two of organized labor's biggest friends in Congress, Rep. George Miller of California and Sen. Edward Kennedy of Massachusetts, both Democrats.

"The administration is using the devastation of Hurricane Katrina to cut the wages of people desperately trying to rebuild their lives and their communities," Miller said.

"President Bush should immediately realize the colossal mistake he has made in signing this order and rescind it and ensure that America puts its people back to work in the wake of Katrina at wages that will get them and their families back on their feet," Miller said.

"I regret the president's decision," said Kennedy.

"One of the things the American people are very concerned about is shabby work and that certainly is true about the families whose houses are going to be rebuilt and buildings that are going to be restored," Kennedy said.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reps. Kucinich and Tubbs Jones Call on President to Hire Local Residents
and Pay a Living Wage in Rebuilding Gulf Region
t r u t h o u t | Press Release

Thursday 08 September 2005

88 Members of Congress, including Representatives from Louisiana and Mississippi, send a letter to the President.
Congressman Dennis J. Kucinich (D-OH) and Congresswoman Stephanie Tubbs Jones (D-OH) today sent a letter to President George W. Bush calling on him to sign an Executive Order to require contractors receiving federal hurricane relief funds to hire locally to the greatest extent feasible and pay them a living wage. Kucinich and Tubbs Jones were joined by 88 members of Congress, including Congressman William Jefferson (D-LA) and Congressman Bennie Thompson (D-MS).

"It is not enough to just throw federal dollars at the region," stated Kucinich. "We must also provide the opportunity for the people of the region to rebuild their lives and provide for themselves and their families."

"It is important that the local residents affected by the hurricane benefit from these huge government contracts," stated Tubbs Jones. "We owe the people, who have lost everything, nothing less."

In their letter the Representatives state:

Dear Mr. President,
For the Hurricane-affected regions of Louisiana and Mississippi, the economic devastation caused by Hurricane Katrina is on par with effects of the Great Depression. Unemployment is on a huge scale. We ask that you issue an Executive Order requiring all contractor companies receiving federal Hurricane relief dollars to hire local residents of the Hurricane-affected region and pay them a living wage.

According to the Congressional Budget Office, of the 510,000 private-sector workers in the New Orleans metropolitan statistical area, "the majority will be off payrolls at least through September, with only a gradual rebound." Another 113,000 in the Gulfport-Biloxi MSA and 54,000 in the Pascagoula MSA face unemployment caused by the Hurricane's devastation of workplaces, transportation routes, public utilities and housing.

The House of Representatives has already appropriated over $60 billion for the region, and will surely appropriate more. But restrictions on the rule governing debate and amendments made it impossible for us to debate an amendment to require contractors receiving federal Hurricane relief dollars to hire locally and pay a living wage.

During the Great Depression, the federal government put millions of unemployed people to work rebuilding the country's infrastructure with federal dollars. The hurricane-demolished region needs a similar emphasis today.

We ask that you issue an Executive Order to require contractors receiving federal Hurricane relief funds to:

1) hire locally to the greatest extent feasible. Specifically, contractors for non-construction projects would be required to meet local hiring goal of 50%, and contractors for construction projects would be required to meet a local hiring goal of 25%.
2) pay each employee a wage of no less than $6.55 per hour if that employee is currently being provided health insurance under a health insurance policy maintained by that employer, or no less than $7.75 per hour if that employee is not currently being provided health insurance under a health insurance policy maintained by that employer.

This is an urgent matter. We ask that you issue this executive order at the same time you sign into law the Hurricane relief funds appropriated by HR 3673.

InChiefsHell
09-12-2005, 11:54 AM
ROFL where did you get that video of Bush in your sig??

HutchFan
09-13-2005, 01:19 AM
What I find interesting are the original reports of probable casualties. The media said at one time 10,000 or more and even went as far as to report that LA had ordered 25,000 body bags. So far, there are only hundreds, not even thousands (although even that was tragic) as was originally reported. I can just see Al Gore demanding a recount.

Boyceofsummer
09-13-2005, 01:32 AM
What I find interesting are the original reports of probable casualties. The media said at one time 10,000 or more and even went as far as to report that LA had ordered 25,000 body bags. So far, there are only hundreds, not even thousands (although even that was tragic) as was originally reported. I can just see Al Gore demanding a recount.

It's time to start holding voters accountable. They were lied to during the campaign and bit, hook, line and sinker. Not once, but twice. Now they blame Clinton when things turn south. The RWNJ's give Michael Moore all the ammunition and then criticize Michael Moore.

jcl-kcfan2
09-13-2005, 10:39 AM

Are you REALLY THIS clueless?

Or do you relly believe in teleportation devices?

jcl-kcfan2
09-13-2005, 10:42 AM
It's time to start holding voters accountable. They were lied to during the campaign and bit, hook, line and sinker. Not once, but twice. Now they blame Clinton when things turn south. The RWNJ's give Michael Moore all the ammunition and then criticize Michael Moore.

Can someone provide a COHERENT translation to the above???

memyselfI
09-13-2005, 10:55 AM
Yeah, it was lightning fast...

that is why the head of FEMA was canned and even Trent Lott and host of CON media were slamming the government's response.

Radar Chief
09-13-2005, 12:05 PM
Can someone provide a COHERENT translation to the above???

Sure. “Bitch, moan, whimper. Bush id teh Debil and if you don’t agree with me you’re an apologist.”
That help? ;)

memyselfI
09-13-2005, 12:27 PM
Jack Kelly: No shame
The federal response to Katrina was not as portrayed
Sunday, September 11, 2005

It is settled wisdom among journalists that the federal response to the devastation wrought by Hurricane Katrina was unconscionably slow.

Jack Kelly is national security writer for the Post-Gazette and The Blade of Toledo, Ohio (jkelly@post-gazette.com, 412-263-1476).

"Mr. Bush's performance last week will rank as one of the worst ever during a dire national emergency," wrote New York Times columnist Bob Herbert in a somewhat more strident expression of the conventional wisdom.

But the conventional wisdom is the opposite of the truth.

That is why DUHbya, to his credit, is now accepting responsibility for the failure of the federal government's response... :hmmm:

jcl-kcfan2
09-13-2005, 07:38 PM
Sure. “Bitch, moan, whimper. Bush id teh Debil and if you don’t agree with me you’re an apologist.”
That help? ;)

I think you nailed it... ROFL

DanT
09-13-2005, 07:55 PM

(Correction/Clarification: (Published 9/12/05) -- Hurricane Andrew struck Florida in 1992, not 2002.)

HutchFan
09-13-2005, 08:39 PM

Michael Moore is a slob and a blathering idiot. Furthermore, his logic regarding everything from Columbine to WMJ's is based on the foundation that all Republicans are gun waving war mongers and President Bush is an idiot. An idiot that beat Al Gore and John Kerry because rank and file Americans found that they couldn't trust the liberal crowd to lead this country. What is interesting about this is that liberals cry foul all the way to oblivion without giving one tangable solution to any of the problems facing our nation (outside of "...anything Mr. Bush does is wrong." that is).