PDA

View Full Version : GIVE TYNES A BREAK!

carlos3652
09-12-2005, 10:35 AM
It makes me mad that everyone is ready to crucify this guy everytime he misses a fg... its going to happen... get over it... there is no one better and he will win a few games for us this year...

20 Kickers tried FG this weekend - 6 missed.
Kickers that missed FG and XP this week other than Tynes:

Josh Scobee (1 FG)
Adam Vinatieri (1 XP)
Mike Nugent (1 FG)
Matt Stover (3 FG)
Sebastian Janikowski (1 FG)
Rob Bironas (1 FG)

Kickers that didnt even try a FG this week (not including MNF K): 5

the Talking Can
09-12-2005, 10:37 AM
so because other kickers suck it is okay for Tynes to suck too....cool

Cochise
09-12-2005, 10:38 AM
I think people might be complaining because his career field goal percentage is barely over 70%.

Warrior5
09-12-2005, 10:38 AM
It makes me mad that everyone is ready to crucify this guy everytime he misses a fg... its going to happen... get over it... there is no one better and he will win a few games for us this year...
20 Kickers tried FG this weekend - 6 missed. Kickers that missed FG and XP this week other than Tynes:

Josh Scobee (1 FG)
Adam Vinatieri (1 XP)
Mike Nugent (1 FG)
Matt Stover (3 FG)
Rob Bironas (1 FG)

Kickers are over-rated.

...preempting the inevitable Bob Dole response.

jidar1
09-12-2005, 10:39 AM
No the point is you aren't going to find another kicker who is better. He's just good enough to be better than anyone we would pick up right now.

rageeumr
09-12-2005, 10:39 AM

20 Kickers tried FG this weekend - 6 missed.
Kickers that missed FG and XP this week other than Tynes:

Josh Scobee (1 FG)
Adam Vinatieri (1 XP)
Mike Nugent (1 FG)
Matt Stover (3 FG)
Rob Bironas (1 FG)

I might buy into all of that if Tynes would have had a solid preseason. However, he looked even worse in preseason than his ~70% career average would afford. I'm not saying "crucify" him, but I'm sure as hell not going to give him a break either...

chagrin
09-12-2005, 10:40 AM
Why did we release Morten again?

Cochise
09-12-2005, 10:41 AM

Tynes can at least kick beyond extra point distance

Gaz
09-12-2005, 10:44 AM
No the point is you aren't going to find another kicker who is better. He's just good enough to be better than anyone we would pick up right now.

And there it is.

xoxo~
Gaz
Gonna have to endure Tynes at K.

ArrowheadHawk
09-12-2005, 10:46 AM
quit fuggin doubting tynes he will pull through at some pt in the season and kick a game winner then you will all be on his nuts

carlos3652
09-12-2005, 10:52 AM

Exactly! And I dont think there will be anyone better at the end of the year either...

Iowanian
09-12-2005, 11:00 AM
Tynes has shanked a FG in almost every game since last fall.

There was NO pressure, No bad snap....No muffed hold and You'll have to pardon me, if I have concern about an NFL kicker who misses 31 yard FGs when they DON'T matter.

Tell me you won't be nervous, down by 2, 10 seconds left and Tynes lining up to kick a 35 yard FG.

Morton Anderson was cut because he couldn't kick the ball 40 yards anymore. He's still so good, he's kicking where again?

My vote is bring in Cundiff when his leg heals up.

Phobia
09-12-2005, 11:08 AM

Tynes beat him out. Does that answer your question?

Skip Towne
09-12-2005, 11:10 AM
We should go check out what Montana State has going on.

Area 51
09-12-2005, 11:12 AM
It's always a good thing to crucify the kicker. It shows great support from the community.

If there were fewer articles and news stories about how badly this guy sucks it might take one of the obstructions to finding the problem. Being critical of the guy can't help.

bringbackmarty
09-12-2005, 11:12 AM
personally, I think we should take the kicking element off of our team.Teach colquitt to kick off. hand off to l.j. for all extra pts, go for it on fourth evewry time we are in normal fg range. use the extra roster spot to build dline depth.

Calcountry
09-12-2005, 11:13 AM
The TV announcer was implying it was a gimme as he was lineing up to kick, and I am going, "you obviously didn't read the press pass, he is sure to miss the freaking thing now." Sure enough, he pushed it way to the right.

Does anyone know if he misses from the left hash mark more than the right?

Perhaps, if they need a FG, they can put it on the better side of the field for him. DV is good with those kind of stats, QUICK, DV, what is it?

Calcountry
09-12-2005, 11:14 AM
personally, I think we should take the kicking element off of our team.Teach colquitt to kick off. hand off to l.j. for all extra pts, go for it on fourth evewry time we are in normal fg range. use the extra roster spot to build dline depth.That movie "Friday Night Lights", was on HBO on Saturday, and that team on there never kicked it.

Skip Towne
09-12-2005, 11:16 AM
personally, I think we should take the kicking element off of our team.Teach colquitt to kick off. hand off to l.j. for all extra pts, go for it on fourth evewry time we are in normal fg range. use the extra roster spot to build dline depth.
I said almost the same thing when GROB was here. Only I wasn't kidding.

Calcountry
09-12-2005, 11:26 AM
I said almost the same thing when GROB was here. Only I wasn't kidding.Screw FG's anyway. Nobody likes them.

redhed
09-12-2005, 11:27 AM
Meh, kickers miss.
To no one in particluar:
If your team is relying on a kicker, you've got bigger probs. This is a TD league, baby!
At least Tynes is getting good distance on his K/Os.

ROYC75
09-12-2005, 11:32 AM
That miss yesterday was so damn close, I thought he made it.

Problem is, we all want him to split the middle.

Cochise
09-12-2005, 12:51 PM
If your team is relying on a kicker, you've got bigger probs. This is a TD league, baby!

I disagree 100%. Every good team will rely on their kicker from time to time.

Didn't you see the way the Chargers and Jets' seasons ended last year? Ever seen the Patriots need a field goal to win a game? A couple of their super bowl wins come to mind.

You can have all the talent you want but sometimes the game is just going to come down to a field goal. It's foolish to expect that if your team is any good you'll never need the kicker.

Area 51
09-12-2005, 01:02 PM

Didn't you see the way the Chargers and Jets' seasons ended last year? Ever seen the Patriots need a field goal to win a game? A couple of their super bowl wins come to mind.

You can have all the talent you want but sometimes the game is just going to come down to a field goal. It's foolish to expect that if your team is any good you'll never need the kicker.

How much money and time do you spend on a kicker? The really good ones only come along occasionally. KC has had two of the leagues best in Stenerud and Lowry, you can include Anderson there if you'd like.

Tynes may not be the best at the moment, but I'd say he can develop into one. He isn't the same type kicker as Lin Eliot.

Hog Farmer
09-12-2005, 01:15 PM
I can't wait till he misses the game winning field goal in the AFC championship game. We all know it's going to happen. :banghead: :cuss: :banghead: :cuss: :banghead: :cuss:

Gaz
09-12-2005, 01:31 PM
I do not think Tynes deserves a break.

His kickoffs give the receiver a chance to get up a head of steam before our coverage team gets there. To be completely fair, our coverage team leaves a lot to be desired.

He missed a kick that should be well within his range. I do not believe there is any such thing as a “gimme” FG, but he is paid a considerable amount of money to kick the ball between the uprights. He botched one of three. It happens and will happen again, but he earned condemnation with the miss.

Sadly, there is no one better available, so he is The Man. Posts demanding that we cut him immediately are simple venting. There is no upgrade available, so we are stuck with him.

xoxo~
Gaz
Accepting that which cannot be changed.

Cochise
09-12-2005, 01:33 PM
How much money and time do you spend on a kicker? The really good ones only come along occasionally. KC has had two of the leagues best in Stenerud and Lowry, you can include Anderson there if you'd like.

Tynes may not be the best at the moment, but I'd say he can develop into one. He isn't the same type kicker as Lin Eliot.

That's funny, L.E.'s career fieldgoal percentage is higher than Tynes' is.

No, there's no replacement available, but that's no reason to 'give a break' to someone who deserves criticism for doing a Raiders-y job.

redhed
09-12-2005, 01:41 PM

Yeah, yeah, unfortunately this is true. But I've had my hopes crushed by too many kickers to like 'em very much. If you're scoring TDs, you don't need 'em. I'd just as soon have no FGs at all. From a Chiefs fan's perspective(historically it seems), when you really need that FG, it ain't gonna happen. Kickers in general just pizz me off. Except for Pete Stoyanovich. And Jan. :)

StcChief
09-12-2005, 01:41 PM

No, there's no replacement available, but that's no reason to 'give a break' to someone who deserves criticism for doing a Raiders-y job.

Let him before now.
Nothing else is out there,

I'm sure he'll be on the HOT SEAT soon, if nothing changes.

A parade of kickers, mediocre to bad will be in KC.

Area 51
09-12-2005, 01:43 PM

Tynes hasn't missed on that cost a game. He has only kicked one year. I have to compare the numbers as well as the distances that were kicked.

If L.E. fell on the ground under any pressure at all he would probably miss. I don't think that of Tynes.

Compare the numbers with some of the great kickers. How did they do in their first 5 years? I don't know and haven't researched it, but I'd bet you might find some that started out less than what you might like.

Cochise
09-12-2005, 02:05 PM
Tynes hasn't missed on that cost a game. He has only kicked one year. I have to compare the numbers as well as the distances that were kicked.

If L.E. fell on the ground under any pressure at all he would probably miss. I don't think that of Tynes.

Compare the numbers with some of the great kickers. How did they do in their first 5 years? I don't know and haven't researched it, but I'd bet you might find some that started out less than what you might like.

Fact is, L.E. hit field goals more often than Tynes does. The numbers don't lie. And I certainly hope the Chiefs don't have your attitude of kickers in their first 5 years. I hope we don't let Tynes suck for 3 more years before cutting our losses with him.

Last year he missed field goals against Denver (loss), Carolina (loss), Jacksonville (loss), San Diego (loss), 2 against Oakland (loss). He missed extra points against Jacksonville (loss) and San Diego (loss). That kind of trend is hard to ignore. Just because it was not a miss on a game-winning kick attempt does not mean it didn't severely damage our chances of winning. None of these games were blowout losses.

It's the same thing as a turnover when Tynes boots a field goal. It takes points off the board and gives the other team the ball. Just like with turnovers, teams that can't kick consistently don't go anywhere.

When was the last time that you can remember a Super Bowl winning team with a horrible kicker?

Vinatieri
Gramatica
Stover
Wilkins
Elam
Longwell
Boniol

That is going back almost 10 years and there's not a bad kicker in the bunch.

Sorry, but the facts don't back up your theorization that kicking is not important.

Warrior5
09-12-2005, 02:24 PM
Screw FG's anyway. Nobody likes them.

FGs are over-rated.

...you're real slow today, Bob Dole.

Area 51
09-12-2005, 02:24 PM
Fact is, L.E. hit field goals more often than Tynes does. The numbers don't lie. And I certainly hope the Chiefs don't have your attitude of kickers in their first 5 years. I hope we don't let Tynes suck for 3 more years before cutting our losses with him.

Just for the record, how many years did LE play in the NFL? How many years has Tynes played in the NFL?

Calcountry
09-12-2005, 02:29 PM
Yeah, yeah, unfortunately this is true. But I've had my hopes crushed by too many kickers to like 'em very much. If you're scoring TDs, you don't need 'em. I'd just as soon have no FGs at all. From a Chiefs fan's perspective(historically it seems), when you really need that FG, it ain't gonna happen. Kickers in general just pizz me off. Except for Pete Stoyanovich. And Jan. :)Even Jan screwed up that Christmas day game against the Dolphins in 1971.

tk13
09-12-2005, 02:32 PM

Last year he missed field goals against Denver (loss), Carolina (loss), Jacksonville (loss), San Diego (loss), 2 against Oakland (loss). He missed extra points against Jacksonville (loss) and San Diego (loss). That kind of trend is hard to ignore. Just because it was not a miss on a game-winning kick attempt does not mean it didn't severely damage our chances of winning. None of these games were blowout losses.

It's the same thing as a turnover when Tynes boots a field goal. It takes points off the board and gives the other team the ball. Just like with turnovers, teams that can't kick consistently don't go anywhere.

When was the last time that you can remember a Super Bowl winning team with a horrible kicker?

Vinatieri
Gramatica
Stover
Wilkins
Elam
Longwell
Boniol

Sorry, but the facts don't back up your theorization that kicking is not important.
Actually Wilkins was not that great with the Rams Super Bowl team. He only hit something like 70% that year. Vermeil brought him in for his first year in St. Louis, and he missed 26 FG's in the three years leading up to the Super Bowl, but he apparently made all the kicks that counted so they won anyway...

Dr. Facebook Fever
09-12-2005, 02:32 PM
It makes me mad that everyone is ready to crucify this guy everytime he misses a fg...
kicker lover

carlos3652
09-12-2005, 02:37 PM
\

Vinatieri (Great Kicker)
Gramatica (Where is he playing? Oh yea...)
Stover (Missed 3 FG @ home last night!)
Wilkins (OK Kicker)
Elam (Great Kicker)
Longwell (Great Kicker)
Boniol (*)

Hmmm... not one bad kicker huh... and for the record:

*As a rookie in 1994, Boniol hit on 22-of-29 field goal attempts (75.9%) to set a team record for field goal percentage by a rookie

Cochise
09-12-2005, 02:41 PM
Actually Wilkins was not that great with the Rams Super Bowl team. He only hit something like 70% that year. Vermeil brought him in for his first year in St. Louis, and he missed 26 FG's in the three years leading up to the Super Bowl, but he apparently made all the kicks that counted so they won anyway...

He's definitely not the class of that group but he's 81% lifetime. I think it's safe to say he's a large cut above Tynes.

carlos3652
09-12-2005, 02:42 PM
kicker lover

ROFL....

Dr. Facebook Fever
09-12-2005, 02:42 PM
He's definitely not the class of that group but he's 81% lifetime. I think it's safe to say he's a large cut above Tynes.
Cochise is back!!! Missed me didn't ya?!

:D

carlos3652
09-12-2005, 02:47 PM

Yea Tynes 17 games can compare to Wilkins 153 games...

1st 3 years as a Ram:

27-35 (67%)
20-26 (76%)
20-28 (71%)

HOF Kicker!!!!

Bob Dole
09-12-2005, 02:48 PM
Meh, kickers miss.
To no one in particluar:
At least Tynes is getting good distance on his K/Os.

Kicking to the 9 or 10 yard line and only 15 feet off the ground is NOT "good distance."

There's a reason their kick returner is at the 20 before our coverage gets downfield, and it's NOT because our coverage guys are slow.

Cochise
09-12-2005, 02:49 PM
Hmmm... not one bad kicker huh... and for the record:

*As a rookie in 1994, Boniol hit on 22-of-29 field goal attempts (75.9%) to set a team record for field goal percentage by a rookie

Did you notice that the year he was part of a super bowl team he only missed one all season?

I am going to :Cochise: this for the first time kicking loses a game for us this year...

Cochise
09-12-2005, 02:50 PM
Kicking to the 9 or 10 yard line and only 15 feet off the ground is NOT "good distance."

There's a reason their kick returner is at the 20 before our coverage gets downfield, and it's NOT because our coverage guys are slow.

:clap:

4th and Long
09-12-2005, 02:51 PM
The last field goal attempt was, for all intents and purposes, meaningless!

When we were trying to put the game out of reach, this is what mattered ...

http://img71.imageshack.us/img71/7639/untitled69fm.jpg

carlos3652
09-12-2005, 02:55 PM
Actually I did some more digging:

First 5 years for Elam:

1993 - 26-35
1994 - 30-37
1995 - 31-38
1996 - 21-28
1997 - 26-36

188 games total - lifetime 79%

Adam Vinitieri - Probably best K out there

1996 - 27-35
1997 - 25-29
1998 - 31-39
1999 - 26-33
2000 - 27-33

144 games total 82% Lifetime

Ryan Longwell

1997 24-30
1998 29-33
1999 25-30
2000 33-38
2001 20-31

128 Total Games 82 % Lifetime....

But yea... Tynes w/ 17 games under his belt will not amount to anything...

redhed
09-12-2005, 02:56 PM

I musta missed that. I know he had a couple that were decent. At least one was inside the g/l, and I think another was inside the 5. I do remember at least 1 stinky K/O. Dammit!! Ya got me defending a kicker! :cuss: :cuss:
The coverage unit was less than spectacular yesterday (during punts too).

Wallcrawler
09-12-2005, 03:30 PM
The thing that bugs me with Tynes is his consistency problems.

I mean, he comes in and hits the 41 yarder, and the 38 yarder, with the outcome of the game still up in the air.

Then he comes out, the game is well in hand. ZERO pressure, at home, gorgeous day, from 31 yards out and doesnt even get close. That kind of stuff is inexcusable.

carlos3652
09-12-2005, 03:34 PM
Then he comes out, the game is well in hand. ZERO pressure, at home, gorgeous day, from 31 yards out and doesnt even get close.

I thought it was good ??? Was it that bad off...

Stovers kicks yesterday were hard to swallow he was only off by inches on the first 2...

carlos3652
09-12-2005, 03:38 PM
I would really like Htis' take on this... stat wizard... we summon you... ROFL