Rushing 0 2
Passing 2 1
Other 0 0
Extra Points 2-2 3-3
Field Goals 0-0 2-2
Red Zone Efficiency 0-1-0% 1-1-100%
Goal To Go Efficiency 0-0-0% 1-1-100%
Safeties 0 0

We gave up 3.6 yards a carry and fewer yards in that game. Also we gave up 4.7 yards a pass compared to 7.1 yesterday

We were 29th in 2003 in total D 5.4 yards per play 12th in 3rd % at 36%
19th in scoring d at 20.8 32nd in rush avg at 5.2 We gave up 210 yards a game in Passing.

I rem after the chargers game everyone being so excited about our D People trying to come up with nicknames for the D The Red Storm, The Red Attack etc.. I noticed a earlier thread were someone noted we were a Bend don't break D That reminded me of 2003 what people were saying.Well look at how we ended up

With thatt being said. I don't think we will end up like that. I believe we have much better talent on D in all areas D. Johnson, Bell, Knight, Surtain, Dalton, Allen, and Hall. It looks like we are tackling better.

Our D has played under Gun for one year and the coasches being in the system for one year helps With him being on the sideline wil help out. It will take a while for the D to Gel though We will get Warfield back in game 5. By the end they will be in the top 15

Phobia
09-12-2005, 12:59 PM
Be cautious about what? We won 13 games that year?

foxman
09-12-2005, 01:04 PM

Exactly. 13 is not the number of games to win. 16, 15, 14, 12 are all acceptable.

htismaqe
09-12-2005, 01:05 PM
I've only mentioned opening day 2003 about 50 times in the last month.

We'll know after week 3 if this defense is for real or not. We all know what happened to the 2003 defense AT DENVER.

KingPriest2
09-12-2005, 01:05 PM

Good point EVeryone bitched about our D the last part of that year and GRob resigned, OUr D fell apart the last half of the year

Rausch
09-12-2005, 01:10 PM
Good point EVeryone bitched about our D the last part of that year and GRob resigned, OUr D fell apart the last half of the year

We also had 6 defensive starters out.

Lesson learned: if you've got 6 of 11 starters out that side of the ball will play like $#it.

Lesson 2: if the starting 11 guys on defense play like $3it and THEN you have injuries that side of the ball will induce vomiting...

Outside of that compairing the two is moronic.

We've got 6 new starters on defense, an new DC, and a new scheme...

KingPriest2
09-12-2005, 01:13 PM

Lesson learned: if you've got 6 of 11 starters out that side of the ball will play like $#it.

Lesson 2: if the starting 11 guys on defense play like $3it and THEN you have injuries that side of the ball will induce vomiting...

Ah who were the six? what games?

KingPriest2
09-12-2005, 01:14 PM

I remember hearing on 810Star and listening to the games that we were extremely healthy on both sides of the ball that year except for MAZ

Gaz
09-12-2005, 01:17 PM
All these kindhearted folks who do not want me to get my hopes up lest they be dashed…

I do not require your assistance, thank you. “Cautious” is for wussies. I choose to romp with abandon.

I want to celebrate. I want to revel in a Defense that CRUSHED the QB and made him play like crap. I want to enjoy a Defense that held the NFL rushing champion in check the entire game. I want to see visions of a swarming, aggressive, smothering Defense in Red & Gold.

If I get my hopes up and they are dashed, then so be it. I am a Chiefs fan, so I have been there and done that. Even my calluses have calluses at this point.

So thank you for your concern.

Now piss off, please.

xoxo~
Gaz
Needs no rain on his parade.

htismaqe
09-12-2005, 01:18 PM
I think the point is this:

We don't REALLY know if our defense is fixed or not.

But we know what to look for.

Regardless of all of the statistical cases that can be made about Woods playing Nickel and Maz getting injured, etc. there was ONE FACT about the 2003 defense:

Against good running teams (Denver, Green Bay) and especially on the road, they were exposed.

Yes, the 2003 defense shut down San Diego (and don't forget Pittsburgh in Week 2) but they showed their true colors against Denver and especially against Green Bay.

After Week 3, we'll know. There's no better test for this defense then at Mile High.

Rausch
09-12-2005, 01:21 PM
Ah who were the six? what games?

Maz, Barber, McPasson, the guy J. Allen took over for, Wesley, Woods, Beisel, and Sims all missed games.

Rausch
09-12-2005, 01:22 PM
I remember hearing on 810Star and listening to the games that we were extremely healthy on both sides of the ball that year except for MAZ

And those games were in the first 8 and our playoff loss...

KingPriest2
09-12-2005, 01:25 PM
Maz, Barber, McPasson, the guy J. Allen took over for, Wesley, Woods, Beisel, and Sims all missed games.

Barber, Holiday, Woods, Wesley, Sims, McCleon played in all 16 games.

Warfield played in 15 He did not play in the last game against the Bears

Starting lineup in 2003
Hicks, Sims, Browning, Holliday
Fujita, Maz, Barber
Woods, Wesley Warfield, McCleon

Hicks, Fujita, Browning played in all 161 games

Mitchell took over for Maz after game 9
Bartee came back after game 5
Beisel was not a sarter in 2003

You are thinking 2004

Rausch
09-12-2005, 01:25 PM
If you want to ask if this defense is better look to last year. While we've still got 6 new starters at least we were operating under the same DC and scheme.

The question to ask is are we better than last year on defense?

Do our players execute Gun's scheme better this year?

Do we have more talent this year?

Does the talent we have PRODUCE results?

Are the players we added more productive than the players they replaced?

Rausch
09-12-2005, 01:27 PM
Barber Woods, Wesley, Sims, McCleon,played in all 16 games.

Warfield played in 15 He did not play in the last game against the Bears

Beisel was not a sarter in 2003

You are thinking 2004

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/injury_reports/2/

I'm not going to take the time to read you off every injury report from 2003. Click the link, look yourself.

Gaz
09-12-2005, 01:29 PM
Adios, y’all. I am outta here.

Gonna go home and run with scissors. Then I will see if I really do go blind.

Yah, I’m a daredevil.

xoxo~
Gaz
Wild man, throwing caution to the wind.

KingPriest2
09-12-2005, 01:31 PM
If you want to ask if this defense is better look to last year. While we've still got 6 new starters at least we were operating under the same DC and scheme.

you are still thinking 2004

KingPriest2
09-12-2005, 01:33 PM

I'm not going to take the time to read you off every injury report from 2003. Click the link, look yourself.

Click the link Look for yourself

http://www.nfl.com/teams/stats/KC/2003/regular

Click on the top 11 players

jspchief
09-12-2005, 01:34 PM
We just won our first game. The rest of our division lost. We won one of the four games in what has been dubbed the toughest stretch in our schedule. We played great run D and got soilid QB pressure, even after losing a few starters. Our offense was clicking on all cylinders.

Why the f*ck would any Chiefs fan want to come in and try and rain on this parade? I don't think anyone is making comparisons to the '85 Bears.

The coach and players we've added is a better reason to believe that we are turning a corner, than looking back at a team with a different coach and lesser players and using it as a reason why we haven't.

KCTitus
09-12-2005, 01:36 PM
In 2003, the chargers were thought to be a good team and turned out going 2-14 if I recall correctly and it wasnt a good barometer of where KC was. NYJ were a playoff team last year.

Season's too early to give us any read, but I enjoyed the look of the defense. It had definately changed with one tiny exception:

Allen and Johnson both bit on the roll out pass that Pennington ran...they got about 20 yards on that play.

Rain Man
09-12-2005, 01:36 PM
If I may quote 80s superband Electric Light Orchestra, "Don't Bring Me Down."

KingPriest2
09-12-2005, 01:37 PM

Considder what htismage is saying This is only week one.

I don't know too early to tell. (Falcons game)

I don't know too early to tell (Falcons game)

Yes

too early to tell

too early to tell

read my first post and that will answer your question

htismaqe
09-12-2005, 01:39 PM
We just won our first game. The rest of our division lost. We won one of the four games in what has been dubbed the toughest stretch in our schedule. We played great run D and got soilid QB pressure, even after losing a few starters. Our offense was clicking on all cylinders.

Why the f*ck would any Chiefs fan want to come in and try and rain on this parade? I don't think anyone is making comparisons to the '85 Bears.

The coach and players we've added is a better reason to believe that we are turning a corner, than looking back at a team with a different coach and lesser players and using it as a reason why we haven't.

I'm certainly NOT trying to cast doubt on this defense, nor "rain" on anyone's parade.

I'm merely stating, as I have since the beginning of the offseason, that there are certain things to watch for with this defense, and 2003 is the barometer.

We added 3 "name" players that year, just like we did this year.

We shut down one of the league's premiere rushers in week 1, just like we did this year.

We'll know after back-to-back road tests versus Oakland and Denver whether or not this defense is 2003 re-incarnated...

oldandslow
09-12-2005, 01:42 PM
What Gaz said.

I saw a QB being pummelled. I saw the league leader in yards get stuffed.

I am a happy man.

I have enough time to be miserable during the loss weeks. I don't need it during the win weeks.

KingPriest2
09-12-2005, 01:44 PM
[
I am enjoying this as much as everyone. ALl I am tying to say is be open minded.

KingPriest2
09-12-2005, 01:46 PM
I'm certainly NOT trying to cast doubt on this defense, nor "rain" on anyone's parade.

I'm merely stating, as I have since the beginning of the offseason, that there are certain things to watch for with this defense, and 2003 is the barometer.

We added 3 "name" players that year, just like we did this year.

We shut down one of the league's premiere rushers in week 1, just like we did this year.

We'll know after back-to-back road tests versus Oakland and Denver whether or not this defense is 2003 re-incarnated...

Excellent point

KingPriest2
09-12-2005, 01:50 PM

I did and I was right.

Calcountry
09-12-2005, 01:51 PM
Exactly. 13 is not the number of games to win. 16, 15, 14, 12 are all acceptable.Heck, I will even settle for 11 which right now means all 3 of the AFC west foes will have to go 12-3 the rest of the way to beat us.