PDA

View Full Version : Michael Vick, the Michael Jordan of the NFL

bobbything
09-12-2005, 11:01 PM
Per Al Michaels.

I think I just threw up in my mouth. The comparison is an insult to Steve Kerr, let alone Michael Jordan.

Ultra Peanut
09-13-2005, 01:25 AM
Hey! When you've led a team to as many championships as Vick has led the Falcons to, then you can complain about the comparisons to Jordan.

Wallcrawler
09-13-2005, 01:32 AM
Im getting really sick of hearing Terrell Davis on total access saying that Michael Vick's running plays are "Impossible" to defend.

Perhaps someone should show him some clips of last year's game at Arrowhead against the horrific KC Defense last year, in which the Falcons were destroyed 56-10.

Count Alex's Losses
09-13-2005, 01:35 AM
Not everyone has the William Bartee/Jared Allen/Shawn Barber trio to defend Michael Vick.

Demonpenz
09-13-2005, 01:41 AM
i don't seem to recall jordon over throwing pippin 10 times a game

jAZ
09-13-2005, 03:05 AM
I'd say the comparison is pretty fair.

People forget that Jordon had a career prior to 1991. Comparing Vick to Jordon circa 1988 is pretty f'in accurate, IMO.

Miles
09-13-2005, 03:17 AM
If michael jordan would have had a fundamental flaw in his game in his early years and shown little signs of progressing there would be some similarity.

chagrin
09-13-2005, 07:19 AM

People forget that Jordon had a career prior to 1991. Comparing Vick to Jordon circa 1988 is pretty f'in accurate, IMO.

He didn't compare him to Jordan 'circa' 1991. The intent was clear, and it's B.S.

Brock
09-13-2005, 07:22 AM

Yeah, Jordan was pretty one-dimensional. :rolleyes:

Pants
09-13-2005, 08:01 AM
It's Jordan...

bobbything
09-13-2005, 09:45 AM
When Michaels said that I was thinking, "You know, maybe if Michael Jordan was a guard who couldn't dribble, shoot, defend, or pass, but, for whatever reason, he could post up against 7'1" centers, then that may be an accurate assessment."

Mecca
09-13-2005, 09:47 AM
Just trying to appeal to the casual fans who may be tuning to to Monday Night Football. Alot of people think Vick is great, now some of us here may not agree with that. But, well the NFL sees that so they're going to heavily market him every way they can.

jAZ
09-13-2005, 10:00 AM
He didn't compare him to Jordan 'circa' 1991. The intent was clear, and it's B.S.
I'm sure you are right, and it would be BS to compare him to the Jordon who is the best player in the history of a sport who had won 6 straight championships (in years he didn't play baseball).

That comparison would be outright stupid, but I don't care so much what Al was saying.

I'm just saying that there is a legitimate comparison that can be made between the two at this (after 3 seasons) stage of their careers.

Early on Jordan was far more of a 1 dimensional player. He vastly improved his shooting %, 3 point shooting, defense and rebounding after his first few years. He didn't earn MVP until is 5th year I think. He didn't make it to the playoffs until around that same time. And he didn't win a championship until his 6th year. All while playing in a sport far more dominated by individuals than football will ever be.

Vick is inconsistant. I'd MUCH rather have someone like Trent Green (in our offense) as a fan, because he is so much more consistant. But if I were an owner, I'd want Vick because he's so much more "electric". Vick sells tickets, just like McNabb & TO sell tickets... just like Jordan sold tickets.

People watch just to see what the guy will do next. In that way, he's identical to Jordan.

Idahored
09-13-2005, 10:06 AM
But if I were an owner, I'd want Vick because he's so much more "electric". Vick sells tickets, just like McNabb & TO sell tickets... just like Jordan sold tickets.

They sell tickets because of the media hype. If they were not hyped by the media they would be just like anyother player. Same with Peyton to an extent, although Peyton is at least the best at his craft. Vick at best is mediocre and McNabb is maybe in the top 5. Neither is worth all the hype.

jAZ
09-13-2005, 10:25 AM
They sell tickets because of the media hype. If they were not hyped by the media they would be just like anyother player. Same with Peyton to an extent, although Peyton is at least the best at his craft. Vick at best is mediocre and McNabb is maybe in the top 5. Neither is worth all the hype.
That media hype isn't arbitrary. It's based on an appeal that the players have. Fan's like to watch Vick because he does some amazing things that most QB's have never been able to do. He's hyped in the same way Barry Sanders was hyped. Many will argue that Barry Sanders was over hyped too. And that might be true. But he too sold tickets & attracted viewers, because people wanted to see what he would do next.

Just like Jordan, Vick, McNabb and TO.

KCTitus
09-13-2005, 10:30 AM
He's hyped in the same way Barry Sanders was hyped. Many will argue that Barry Sanders was over hyped too.

Sanders got very little hype...back then it was all Emmitt Smith. Sure, Barry got play on Sportscenter, but Emmitt got the spotlight.

bobbything
09-13-2005, 10:40 AM
Just like Jordan, Vick, McNabb and TO.
Yes, maybe in the respect of "selling tickets." However, that's not what Michaels was suggesting. His comparison implied that Vick was Jordan's NFL counterpart in skill and production. That's nonsense. Vick is a QB that can't pass. Jordan was a guard that could shoot, dribble, defend, and pass.

Here's Vick's numbers from last night...

156 yards passing (about 60 on one play)
3 turnovers (1 INT, 2 fumbles)
0 passing TD's, 1 rushing TD

Michael Jordan would be proud.

jAZ
09-13-2005, 10:43 AM
Yes, maybe in the respect of "selling tickets." However, that's not what Michaels was suggesting. His comparison implied that Vick was Jordan's NFL counterpart in skill and production. That's nonsense. Vick is a QB that can't pass. Jordan was a guard that could shoot, dribble, defend, and pass.

Michael Jordan would be proud.
Like I said, I don't care what Al was saying.

jAZ
09-13-2005, 10:46 AM

A more meaningful comparison is comparing Vick's passing ability (accuracy & reading defense) to that of Steve Young & John Elway in their first few years. Running QB's take time to evolve into passers.

Oddly enough, just like with Jordan who took time to evolve from merely an athletic scorer into a shooter.

bobbything
09-13-2005, 10:58 AM
A more meaningful comparison is comparing Vick's passing ability (accuracy & reading defense) to that of Steve Young & John Elway in their first few years. Running QB's take time to evolve into passers.
Steve Young and John Elway were not nearly as hyped up as Vick is. Do you think anyone would have called Elway or Young the "Wilt Chamberlain of the NFL" during their first 4 years?

Also, Jordan's shooting % for his 1st 4 years were comperable to the rest of his career. 52%, 46%, 48%, and 54% respectively. He averaged 48% for the rest of his career.

jAZ
09-13-2005, 11:49 AM
Steve Young and John Elway were not nearly as hyped up as Vick is. Do you think anyone would have called Elway or Young the "Wilt Chamberlain of the NFL" during their first 4 years?
Certainly Elway was as hyped as any rookie, #1 overall QB in his era. Granted, he was drafted in an era where "hype" and individual player marketing was absolutely NOTHING like it is today. But put Vick back in 80-whatever and he and Elway would experience similar hype. Similarly, bring Elway into the NFL today (still being that much different/better than anyone before him) and he'd get the Vick treatment.

There is every reason in the world to suspect that Vick will evolve in the same way Young and Elway evolved. It took both players years, and I think a fair comparison will show that Vick/Atlanta is accomplishing more, sooner than Elway/Denver & Young/Tampa.

He's "worth" the hype, IMO. But he's clearly not as good at Young or Elway. He's got to the same potential to be as great as they became.

Also, Jordan's shooting % for his 1st 4 years were comperable to the rest of his career. 52%, 46%, 48%, and 54% respectively. He averaged 48% for the rest of his career.
Yes, but Jordan was taking a lot more "lower percentage" shots (outside) later in his career. He became a better shooter over his career, because he was less able to rely on his athleticsm to make plays.

The same was true of Young and Elway.

The same COULD be true of Vick, and if the same thing happens... Vick will go down as one of the greatest QBs ever to play the game. He's got that much potential.

And as such, he's a unique player worthy of the hype, no matter how he falls short of that lable right now.