PDA

View Full Version : Upper-cut punch to force a fumble

jAZ
09-12-2005, 10:12 PM
I noticed yesterday that about 10 times our guys on defense were using a swinging upper-cut to try and punch the ball out of the carriers hands. And at least once it worked.

I was kinda happy to see the move because it's so agressive. I hadn't noticed it used that deliberately before.

Later in a few of the afternoon games, I saw a couple other times where a few defenders used the same move.

Is this a new fad/technique, or have I been amazingly blind.

I only remember a downward swing or a pulling motion in the past. I don't remember any punch play.

My only concern is that the runner gets to keep running with the ball while the defender winds up to take his swing at the ball. At least a little extra yardage on each play as a result.

It looked likely to be pretty effective for causing turnovers though, so I'm guessing it's an acceptable cost for the big play.

PastorMikH
09-12-2005, 10:14 PM
Ahhh, an upercut "hack" at the ball that if you miss the ball leaves a mark on the carrier and the ref can't call anything. I love it!

:)

Rausch
09-12-2005, 10:15 PM
DJ did it more than once and still managed to bring down the ball carrier with one arm...

irishjayhawk
09-12-2005, 10:15 PM
DJ was the master of that in college....

Coach
09-12-2005, 10:19 PM
Yes, I noticed that. But there were also a few over the head strips, especially when it was coming after the QB.

Jared Allen had one that caused the fumble.

Sammy Knight also did it that caused the fumble.

Either way, last year, it just seemed like they were more worried about trying to bring the guy down without even trying to create a turnover. Not to mention that our tackling was horrible at the time. This year, so far, the tackling has been improved and impressive for the Chiefs, along with trying to strip the ball away.

Iowanian
09-12-2005, 10:20 PM
I can't tell you how Big, and quietly I smiled to myself....seeing a flashing LB with a 50something number tomahawking the ball out of a qb.

DRU
09-12-2005, 10:25 PM
Look back at almost any of Priest's long runs...he's been victim of that a few times in the past few years.

BigRedChief
09-12-2005, 10:43 PM
Oviously they had been instructed to do it by Gun. We need some more turnovers. I like it.

Pants
09-12-2005, 11:01 PM
Didn't Kennison lose one of his long fumbles this way as well? Err, talking about last year here...

DRU
09-13-2005, 12:02 AM
yeah, he did. it was a big play too.

chappy
09-13-2005, 04:18 AM
we need some film clips of this i noticed it also i am in love with that technique

ZootedGranny
09-13-2005, 04:42 AM
Didn't Kennison lose one of his long fumbles this way as well? Err, talking about last year here...

Yep.

I'm extremely disappointed with Kennison's lack of awareness when running in the open field, because yesterday he beat Barrett on a route in the middle of the field, turned and cut towards the sideline and could've easily been stripped if it weren't for the clueless Jet defender just trying to make a tackle.

And as tremendous as Larry Johnson has been, he still hasn't learned to switch ball hands. Fortunately he's strong, because twice yesterday the ball was open to be punched out, but again the Jets were just trying to get him down. On that run where he spun and kept going, Vilma had a chance to knock it loose, but Larry lucked out.

Pants
09-13-2005, 05:31 AM
Yep.

I'm extremely disappointed with Kennison's lack of awareness when running in the open field, because yesterday he beat Barrett on a route in the middle of the field, turned and cut towards the sideline and could've easily been stripped if it weren't for the clueless Jet defender just trying to make a tackle.

And as tremendous as Larry Johnson has been, he still hasn't learned to switch ball hands. Fortunately he's strong, because twice yesterday the ball was open to be punched out, but again the Jets were just trying to get him down. On that run where he spun and kept going, Vilma had a chance to knock it loose, but Larry lucked out.

I totally agree about LJ, he was actually almost swinging his ball arm when he did that... Kennison, though, seemed to cover up his ball pretty well IMO, I actually saw him cover up the ball over the top right before getting tackled. Also, I remeber seeing a Jets defender try and do the uppercut strip on him... Jets must've covered that during the film session, seeing how Kennison fumbled that shit multiple times last year.

Demonpenz
09-13-2005, 07:39 AM
DJ Did that shit all the time in college. I am sure it was always tought to our plays but now we just have the speed to do it. Man watch some game tapes of DJ in high school and college i don't even think he thought about tackling he just wanted that ball

Lzen
09-13-2005, 07:45 AM
Watch some old Chiefs games with Derrick Thomas. He was not only the good at coming over the top to make the QB lose the ball, he could chase down a ball carrier and poke it out from the bottom side. This is nothing new.

Shag
09-13-2005, 08:52 AM
If you think about it, it makes sense - it's a lot easier to punch the ball up and away from the body when the ball's tucked, rather than coming over the top and just pounding it back into the ball carrier's body. You'll typically see the undercut punch used against ball carriers, and the tomahawk used against QBs in the pocket (and when the ball's not protected by a carrier)...

Rain Man
09-13-2005, 09:29 AM
My biggest complaint about the defense the past few years has been that they don't try to force turnovers. Warfield was the only one who EVER tried to knock a ball out.

I'm thrilled that we seem to have rediscovered this skill. It means that the aftereffects of Greg Robinson are fading away.

KC Kings
09-13-2005, 10:57 AM
10 times? You must not have been paying very close attention. I think LJ had 10 hacks of his own. I loved the play where as they were falling out of bounds where the first upper cut hit the ball/arm area, but the second got nothing but kidney.

He was a master at that in college. Somewhere on this board there is a college highlight video of him where "Go DJ, Thats my Dj" is playing in the background, and he forces a lot of fumbles in there with the uppercut.

I heard he learned that tecnique when he worked as a youngster in Cuba cutting sugar-cane.

Alphaman
09-13-2005, 11:18 AM
DJ did it more than once and still managed to bring down the ball carrier with one arm...

DJ did this alot at Texas. He forced 9 fumbles last year (that's 9 in 13 games). He's now forced 1 in 1 pro game. As long as he still makes the tackle go for the fumble.

Halfcan
09-13-2005, 12:24 PM
I like to see several big uppercuts right in Randy (pothead) Moss's big mouth. Jeez I hate this guy. I hope they keep knight on him as an insurance policy. Can't let this guy get deep on us.