PDA

View Full Version : Is it "Duck Tape" or "Duct Tape"???

jAZ
09-12-2005, 10:58 PM
You make the call...

morphius
09-12-2005, 10:59 PM
Duct

Dunit35
duct tape

Count Zarth
Duct. As in used on "ducts."

Reaper16
09-12-2005, 11:00 PM
Duct tape

For that matter, it's pop. Not soda.

jAZ
09-12-2005, 11:02 PM
I want to get a few more votes before I say anything.

jspchief
09-12-2005, 11:05 PM
Duct tape.

However, there is a company that makes duct tape called Duck Tape.

jspchief
09-12-2005, 11:10 PM

jAZ
09-12-2005, 11:13 PM
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/attachment.php?attachmentid=46797&stc=1
Well, this is as good a reason to bust out with the "answer" as any!

http://www.snopes.com/rumors/ducttape.asp

"By the by, although everyone (including us) calls that all-purpose handyman's necessity "duct tape," it is more properly styled "duck tape," which was the original name of the cloth-backed, waterproof adhesive developed for the U.S. Army to keep moisture out of ammunition cases. "

Named for it's water shedding properties... not for being used on ducts.

Who knew...

HolmeZz
09-12-2005, 11:15 PM
I called it 'duck' growing up.

jAZ
09-12-2005, 11:17 PM
I called it 'duck' growing up, but it's duct.
You were right the first time...

http://www.octanecreative.com/ducttape/duckvsduct.html

Dear Duct Tape Users:

Is it Duct or Duck? We don’t want you to be confused, so we will explain. The first name for Duct Tape was DUCK. During World War II the U.S. Military needed a waterproof tape to keep the moisture out of ammunition cases. So, they enlisted the Johnson and Johnson Permacel Division to manufacture the tape. Because it was waterproof, everyone referred to it as “duck” tape (like water off a duck’s back). Military personnel discovered that the tape was good for lots more than keeping out water. They used it for Jeep repair, fixing stuff on their guns, strapping equipment to their clothing... the list is endless.

After the War, the housing industry was booming and someone discovered that the tape was great for joining the heating and air conditioning duct work. So, the color was changed from army green to the silvery color we are familiar with today and people started to refer to it as “duct tape*.” Therefore, either name is appropriate.

Today, Duck® brand Tape is manufactured by Henkel Consumer Adhesives. After thoroughly familiarizing ourselves with the hundreds of duct tapes on the market, we have found Duck® brand Tape to be the most consistent in quality. And, we are delighted with the large array of colors that they manufacture (including camo tape and new “X-Treme Tape” which comes in hot day-glo colors).

Jim and I do lots of appearances promoting Duck® brand Tape and do so without reservation. Therefore, we go by both The Duct Tape Guys, and The Duck Tape Guys. And, we use the words Duck and Duct interchangeably throughout our web site.

So, whether you call it Duct Tape or Duck Tape... you are still using the “Ultimate Power Tool” in our estimation.

jAZ
09-12-2005, 11:18 PM
I called it 'duck' growing up.
Gotcha! ;)

go bowe
09-12-2005, 11:19 PM
You make the call...wow, this reminds me of duck walking when i was younger...

did you ever try duck walking? :shrug:

HolmeZz
09-12-2005, 11:19 PM
Yup.

And I'll still continue to call it duct, just to spite you.

Logical
09-12-2005, 11:21 PM
Hell I buy Duc tape, it is cheaer by half probably because it is not either of the major brands. K's and T's must be expensive:D

jspchief
09-12-2005, 11:21 PM
And for the record, it is actually a horrible product to use on ducts. It dries out over time and loses adhesion. Maybe as a temporary fix, but no more.

RedDread
09-12-2005, 11:26 PM
Duct tape

For that matter, it's pop. Not soda.

Either pop or soda, but definitely not Coke.

I went down to Atlanta and ordered a Coke at a restaurant. The waitress asked me what kind... HUH??? :spock: When I say F***ing Coke I want a Coke. If I wanted a Dr. Pepper I'd probably say "Dr. Pepper". Why does Coke represent all soda (or pop) in the south...that still confuses me.

and I say soda dammit :cuss:

David.
09-12-2005, 11:27 PM
it's duct tape

I don't care what anyone says.

David.
09-12-2005, 11:28 PM
and it's soda you f#cking hippies

jAZ
09-12-2005, 11:29 PM

I went down to Atlanta and ordered a Coke at a restaurant. The waitress asked me what kind... HUH??? :spock: When I say F***ing Coke I want a Coke. If I wanted a Dr. Pepper I'd probably say "Dr. Pepper". Why does Coke represent all soda (or pop) in the south...that still confuses me.

I'd say that's really weird coming from Atlanta, home of Coca-Cola Company.

jAZ
09-12-2005, 11:32 PM
wow, this reminds me of duck walking when i was younger...

did you ever try duck walking? :shrug:
http://images.animationfactory.com/imagedir/animations/birds/ducks/dan_the_duck_walking_with_bag/dan_the_duck_walking_with_bag_lg_wm.gif

Pants
09-13-2005, 02:10 AM
and it's soda you f#cking hippies

Soda? ROFL This isn't the f*cking fifties. It's pop you dumb hick.

Count Zarth
09-13-2005, 02:12 AM
Soda? ROFL This isn't the f*cking fifties. It's pop you dumb hick.

You're both wrong. Call it by it's brand name.

Pants
09-13-2005, 02:18 AM
You're both wrong. Call it by it's brand name.

stfu, how can you call it by a brand name when you don't know what it is?

Example:
"Hey dude, you got any pop?" when at a friends place...

Miles
09-13-2005, 02:20 AM

I havent heard it called coke in the generic since in quite a while. Though i have definitly heard it called that in the south just not as frequently as what i used to.

Count Zarth
09-13-2005, 02:24 AM
stfu, how can you call it by a brand name when you don't know what it is?

Example:
"Hey dude, you got any pop?" when at a friends place...

In that case, ask him for a "soft drink."

Pants
09-13-2005, 02:25 AM

That would be pretty weird, lol. Should I also ask for the menu and what's today's special?

Miles
09-13-2005, 02:26 AM

Yep.

Count Zarth
09-13-2005, 02:26 AM
That would be pretty weird, lol. Should I also ask for the menu and what's today's special?

And some grey poupon.

Count Zarth
09-13-2005, 02:27 AM
Actually I agree. Call it pop or soda. Who ****ing cares?

tk13
09-13-2005, 02:31 AM
I usually just ask if you have Coke. But I'll preface that by saying that's really the only kind of "soda" I really drink most of the time, so yeah. If you don't like it, tough.

Pants
09-13-2005, 02:32 AM
I usually just ask if you have Coke. But I'll preface that by saying that's really the only kind of "soda" I really drink most of the time, so yeah. If you don't like it, tough.

That's understandable since you want a Coke. You wouldn't ask for a Coke and want a Sprite, would you?

BigMeatballDave
09-13-2005, 02:37 AM
For that matter, it's pop. Not soda.What if its soda-pop?

BigMeatballDave
09-13-2005, 02:40 AM
Example:
"Hey dude, you got any pop?" when at a friends place...Well, if you know your friends well enough, you'd know what kind they drink...
:)

BigMeatballDave
09-13-2005, 02:41 AM
I just usually ask for 'something to drink'...

tk13
09-13-2005, 02:42 AM
Well, if you know your friends well enough, you'd know what kind they drink...
Well what if you're at your friends house, he slips and hits his head and gets amnesia? Huh? What do you do? Didn't prepare for that little situation did ya??

Pants
09-13-2005, 02:42 AM
Well, if you know your friends well enough, you'd know what kind they drink...

It alternates from CC to DP to now Diet shit... I'm not touching that, though.

And that was just an example...

ENDelt260
09-13-2005, 02:43 AM
F*ck soda and pop. Who's got a beer for me?

Count Zarth
09-13-2005, 02:48 AM
That's understandable since you want a Coke. You wouldn't ask for a Coke and want a Sprite, would you?

**** asking. Just go raid the refrigerator.

Miles
09-13-2005, 02:52 AM
F*ck soda and pop. Who's got a beer for me?

I have a couple of those damn 3.2 beers left over from yesterday.

StcChief
09-13-2005, 07:36 AM
Used around sheet metal joints that carries air thru in your house.

Now the universal fix tool.

Lzen
09-13-2005, 08:27 AM
Heh, that pop vs soda thing is funny. I have a good friend who grew up around the Boston area, Attleboro, MA for the most part.They would call a milkshake a frap. "Let's go to the party" sounded like "let's go to the potty". Anyway, when he first moved to Kansas, someone asked him to give them a pop. So, my friend slugged him.

jAZ
09-13-2005, 08:46 AM
Anyway, when he first moved to Kansas, someone asked him to give them a pop. So, my friend slugged him.
Good thing he didn't move to San Francisco. NTTAWWT.