PDA

View Full Version : Most Worrisome Injury?

Gaz
09-13-2005, 10:36 AM
I read lots of differing opinions concerning which injury is most worrisome. So let us just poll it up, shall we?

xoxo~
Gaz
Tossing it up for grabs.

shakesthecat
09-13-2005, 10:41 AM
I picked Roaf since I think Surtain plays this week.

When Roaf went down, the O went south.
Black played a little better in the 4th quarter, but Green was running for his life on just about every passing play.

RedThat
09-13-2005, 10:42 AM
Tough one man. It either has to be Roaf or Surtain. Depends on who we play. This week, I think we can get by without Roaf, especially since the Raiders dont have any real pass rush threats, but, without Surtain? And having to cover Porter, Moss, Curry without Surtain, and instead we cover them with McCleon, Washington, and Sapp? fuhhhgeddaboudit!!

*Yeah, we need Surtain this week, most definately. We need him more than Roaf.

ChiTown
09-13-2005, 10:43 AM
Sims

I think Roaf is an awfully close second, but we have better depth on the OL than we do at DT.

ct
09-13-2005, 10:55 AM
For me, it is definitely Surtain. But Roaf is a close 2nd.

Redcoats58
09-13-2005, 10:56 AM
I would imagine the face of the woman that Larry Johnson backhanded.

:p

Rain Man
09-13-2005, 11:04 AM
My understanding is the Surtain will be back quickly, and that Richardson's problem wasn't serious.

That leaves us with Sims and Roaf. Both are worrisome, but losing Roaf for an extended period would be much more damaging at this point. The guy is a national treasure, and hamstring injuries can hang around forever, it seems.

Frazod
09-13-2005, 11:19 AM
Roaf being out long term definitely concerns me more than anything else. Surtain being out hurts, but pressure from the improved LB corps will negate that somewhat.

All of the offense's success begins and ends with the line. Improved D or no, this is the key to the team's success.

As I said last night, thank God we won't be seeing a real defense for the next couple of weeks.

Jmart
09-13-2005, 11:23 AM
The guy is a national treasure

Brilliant!

htismaqe
09-13-2005, 12:07 PM
Sounds like all of them except for Sims will be ready for the Raiders...which means Sims remains at the top...

htismaqe
09-13-2005, 12:11 PM
I picked Roaf since I think Surtain plays this week.

When Roaf went down, the O went south.
Black played a little better in the 4th quarter, but Green was running for his life on just about every passing play.

Black played the entire game.

The O went south when Willie left for 2 reasons:

1) Black was already subbing for Sampson, and had to be moved to LT, putting CHRIS BOBER in the game.

2) Saunders said they went into a shell to protect the lead.

With Sampson back this week, we'll be ok.

trndobrd
09-13-2005, 12:13 PM
The consensus opinion was that Trent Green was the most important player for a successful Chiefs season. The loss of Sims, Surtain and Richardson might affect the outcome of a game or two. The loss of Roaf not only limits the running game, but it opens up the possibility of Trent Green getting pounded and possibly injured by a quality pass rush.

(lucky to be playing the Raiders this week)

Logical
09-13-2005, 12:17 PM
Short term Surtain, being as I think him being out could cost us victory in the Raider game.

Long term Roaf as I feel he will impact the offense the most (but Richardson is an extremely close second)

ct
09-13-2005, 12:31 PM
So updating the list following DV's press conf., says that Surtain and TRich are good to go. That leaves only Roaf and Sims, which is an obvious no-brainer.

Fortunately, Big Willie has improved significantly, so maybe with a week off he'll be back to full strength. Did sound like he's still got a shot to play this week too, and I'll bet he does!!

Sims was playing pretty well, but I don't think we lose too much(if any) to plug in Browning in his place.

Big Slick
09-13-2005, 12:38 PM
The loss of Sims is only a loss of potential, what we think he MIGHT contribute based on some promising flashes. The other 3 guys are all Pro Bowlers who we know what they bring. Fortunately, it's sounding like the Pro Bowlers should be ok. Hopeful Sims isn't too bad...

htismaqe
09-13-2005, 12:45 PM
The loss of Sims is only a loss of potential, what we think he MIGHT contribute based on some promising flashes. The other 3 guys are all Pro Bowlers who we know what they bring. Fortunately, it's sounding like the Pro Bowlers should be ok. Hopeful Sims isn't too bad...

The loss of Sims is much more than a loss of potential.

We had two guys playing DT last weekend that don't belong there. One is definitely a DE, the other is a tweener. Neither is a true DT.

Big Slick
09-13-2005, 12:58 PM
The loss of Sims is much more than a loss of potential.

We had two guys playing DT last weekend that don't belong there. One is definitely a DE, the other is a tweener. Neither is a true DT.

But based on his NFL career to date, Sims doesn't belong in there, either. Last spring people were calling him a bust, not the anchor of our D-line. We're all hopeful that he's about to show us otherwise, but I guess I'm saying that you can't miss what you never had. Plus remember the bigger picture here, I'm comparing the loss of Sims to that of proven Pro-Bowlers. I'm not at all happy to lose Sims, but Roaf and Surtain would be much bigger losses IMO.

htismaqe
09-13-2005, 01:00 PM
But based on his NFL career to date, Sims doesn't belong in there, either. Last spring people were calling him a bust, not the anchor of our D-line. We're all hopeful that he's about to show us otherwise, but I guess I'm saying that you can't miss what you never had. Plus remember the bigger picture here, I'm comparing the loss of Sims to that of proven Pro-Bowlers. I'm not at all happy to lose Sims, but Roaf and Surtain would be much bigger losses IMO.

It's quite simple. We have warm bodies at CB and LT. We don't at DT.

I don't care how good or bad Sims is, we have to line up and play on Sunday. Period.

Chiefnj
09-13-2005, 01:12 PM

I don't care how good or bad Sims is, we have to line up and play on Sunday. Period.

What about Svitek?

the Talking Can
09-13-2005, 01:16 PM
I'm most concerned about Roaf simply based on the talent level of the player.

I'm most concerned about Sims based on the apparent severity of the injury.

sorry to be so pedantic...

Big Slick
09-13-2005, 01:16 PM

You're arguing from a depth perspective, I'm arguing from a quality starter perspective. Both views have some truth in there. But if all you're concerned about is the lack of warm bodies, they're a dime a dozen. We could sign a journeyman DT today. Pro-Bowl LT's and CB's are a little harder to come by.

htismaqe
09-13-2005, 01:27 PM
What about Svitek?

Well, for one, he's an offensive lineman now. If they kept him for the sole reason of developing him into a tackle, moving him back to the defensive line would be a very bad thing to do at this point in his training.

Second, wasn't he a defensive end? He's only like 280, we have enough tweeners to plug the gaps at DT the way it is. We need another 310lb widebody.

htismaqe
09-13-2005, 01:30 PM
You're arguing from a depth perspective, I'm arguing from a quality starter perspective. Both views have some truth in there. But if all you're concerned about is the lack of warm bodies, they're a dime a dozen. We could sign a journeyman DT today. Pro-Bowl LT's and CB's are a little harder to come by.

We already have a quality backup at LT. Our running game was downright dominant in the 3rd quarter, without Roaf. Not only that, but without the starter at RIGHT TACKLE too.

If this wasn't the Raiders, I would say you're right about Surtain. If this was Denver, and we were facing Rod Smith and Ashley Lelie, I'd say Surtain is the KEY piece. Shut down Smith and they have no consistent threat in the passing game.

But this is the Raiders. One, they can already overwhelm our defensive backfield with talent, even if Surtain plays. And second, they're going to throw the ball up for grabs several time in this game. A pro bowl CB has a marginally better chance of knocking that ball down as William Bartee.

In a game like this, the difference maker of all difference makers will be pressure up front. Sims was the only DT on the field on Sunday that got pressure.

Big Slick
09-13-2005, 01:49 PM
We already have a quality backup at LT. Our running game was downright dominant in the 3rd quarter, without Roaf. Not only that, but without the starter at RIGHT TACKLE too.

If this wasn't the Raiders, I would say you're right about Surtain. If this was Denver, and we were facing Rod Smith and Ashley Lelie, I'd say Surtain is the KEY piece. Shut down Smith and they have no consistent threat in the passing game.

But this is the Raiders. One, they can already overwhelm our defensive backfield with talent, even if Surtain plays. And second, they're going to throw the ball up for grabs several time in this game. A pro bowl CB has a marginally better chance of knocking that ball down as William Bartee.

In a game like this, the difference maker of all difference makers will be pressure up front. Sims was the only DT on the field on Sunday that got pressure.

If we're only talking about the injury impacts on this weeks game, then we might be closer on our opinions. I've been talking in terms of long term impacts, which hopefully are not an issue anymore.

htismaqe
09-13-2005, 01:59 PM
If we're only talking about the injury impacts on this weeks game, then we might be closer on our opinions. I've been talking in terms of long term impacts, which hopefully are not an issue anymore.

AHA...yeah, I guess I didn't make that clear.

All along, I've been talking about the Raiders and nothing more. I guess the mentality I've always had is that there's only one game on the schedule at any given time.

I was never considering long-term affect in my comments...

Thanks!

patteeu
09-13-2005, 03:11 PM
A few hours ago (before DV's press conference) I would have said Roaf, but now I'll go with Sims because it sounds like his is the only injury that's going to cause a signficant loss of time. Roaf is the more important cog in the Chiefs machine though.

John_Wayne
09-13-2005, 03:14 PM
Surtain
Roaf
Richardson
Simms

elvomito
09-13-2005, 03:18 PM
Surtain getting knocked out worried the piss outta me. Or maybe it was the beer but either way thats not something I wanna see, our best most expensive CB with head trauma

Chief Faithful
09-13-2005, 04:45 PM
Sims because a foot injury does not heal quickly.

Roaf is more important to the team, but it sounds like the injury is not serious and he will be back soon.

PastorMikH
09-13-2005, 05:33 PM
Roaf is my biggest concern. Hammys have a way of lingering all season long.

Surtain may miss another game, but I don't think his injury will have the same lingering affect.

Sims may be out with a foot injury, but at this point, I'm getting kinda used to Sims being out with some injury.

tk13
09-13-2005, 05:35 PM
I'll go with Larry Johnson's bitchslap. We can survive the others, that's the one that'll cause us the most trouble.

:)

kcjayhawks5
09-13-2005, 06:08 PM
i picked surtain just because without him the secondary is very vulnerable and it showed after surtain left the game. with him and sims in at the same time you get a decent pass rush and a very good possiblity of a pick. Surtain brings the turnovers and in mind that is what this defense has to do consistantly this year in order to be a superbowl contender.

Saul Good
09-13-2005, 07:19 PM
Sims was the only DT on the field on Sunday that got pressure.

He was in for 6 plays and made 1 tackle. That's not a real impressive body of work. Pennington threw 2 passes with Sims in the game and completed both. Knight sacked him on another play. I don't recall Sims pressuring the QB on Sunday.

Phobia
09-13-2005, 07:23 PM
Hey - where did this Big Slick guy come from? I like him. He jumps in with informed football opinions (not that I agree) and sticks with it. Welcome aboard Big Slick.