PDA

View Full Version : So where's the uproar?!?

redhed
09-13-2005, 01:12 PM
Oh noes!! It's the return of the Jimmy Raye RBbC!! Where are all of the planeteers complaining about it? You know, the guys who say a RB just can't get into the flow of the game if he's not the main guy? (You know who you are.) Curse you, Al Saunders!! Curse you, Larry Johnson!! This team is going to have a major RB controversy if you keep playing well!!
I'm guessing if you've got 2 quality RBs, it's okay? :harumph:

/TIC

Radar Chief
09-13-2005, 01:15 PM
Oh noes!! It's the return of the Jimmy Raye RBbC!! Where are all of the planeteers complaining about it? You know, the guys who say a RB just can't get into the flow of the game if he's not the main guy? (You know who you are.) Curse you, Al Saunders!! Curse you, Larry Johnson!! This team is going to have a major RB controversy if you keep playing well!!
I'm guessing if you've got 2 quality RBs, it's okay? :harumph:

/TIC

:clap:
I’m guess’n if Erkle had Priest and LJ, the “committee” would’ve been a good thing. ;)

Phobia
09-13-2005, 01:22 PM
Are you suggesting we fans are fickle and even.... *gasp* hypocrites?

redhed
09-13-2005, 01:23 PM
Muahahahaha! Erkle. :D rep

Chiefs Pantalones
09-13-2005, 01:23 PM
So where's the uproar?!?

In my pants.

redhed
09-13-2005, 01:25 PM
Are you suggesting we fans are fickle and even.... *gasp* hypocrites?

Not everybody. Just the ones who left the Jets game early. Oops...

KCTitus
09-13-2005, 01:26 PM
Today it could be called RBBC, then however it was FBCTRBBC. There is a difference.

Wallcrawler
09-13-2005, 02:54 PM
Holmes and Johnson splitting carries is a helluva lot different than a tailback rotation of Bam Morris, Tony Richardson, and Donnell Bennet.

Having two backs like Holmes and Johnson, playing one and not the other is ignorance.

If the chiefs could rack up 195 yards rushing, and 3 scores on the ground every week, Id be pretty damn pleased with that.

mcan
09-13-2005, 03:02 PM
I didn't have a problem with it when Paul Hackett did it with Marcus Allen because it kept Marcus fresh and put him in at full strength in short yardage situations.

I had a big problem with it when Jimmy Raye did it with Anders, Cloud, and Moreau because he took them out as soon as they would start to get a feel for the game. He took guys out in the middle of a drive... In the middle of a series!

I don't have a problem with Holmes and Johnson splitting up carries as long as they allow for both guys to get a feel for the game by letting them stay in for entire drives.

StcChief
09-13-2005, 03:31 PM
I'd be different if we had to decide between the best of two, right now we don't let 'em play.

elvomito
09-13-2005, 03:36 PM
in the past, priest typically gets stronger as the game goes on, especially in the 4th quarter.

Do you feel that the added competition of LJ can prevent that? I remember LJ saying something to the effect that with both of them splitting carries it will be a competition to see who can pull off the biggest play when they get their turn with the ball.

I for one think priest needs a lot of game time in order to excell. and that 35yd run wouldn't have been his only highlight had he stayed in more.

Now, LJ doesn't appear to need any time to going in a game. So it appears we will be seeing LJ with more yards and less carries than priest in future games.
And if for some reason LJ doesn't get going and we don't let priest get his reps, thats the only way the chiefs RBs won't have a great day.
still better than having only priest but i miss the thought of seeing him have 250 total yards in a game. those times are over it appears

redhed
09-14-2005, 09:15 PM
in the past, priest typically gets stronger as the game goes on, especially in the 4th quarter.

Do you feel that the added competition of LJ can prevent that? I remember LJ saying something to the effect that with both of them splitting carries it will be a competition to see who can pull off the biggest play when they get their turn with the ball.

No, I think Priest will be Priest. Good early and late in the game. I just find it ironic that not one single post has been made about RBbC. In the days of yore (Bong Morris, Bennett, T-rich) there was quite a stink made about it. I'm not sure what it all means, maybe it's a illustration of talent vs. scheme. Or maybe it furthers the "Jimmy Raye was a mental midget" school of thought. I think Raye was the Mentat behind the whole Kimble Anders as the feature back debacle. Although it does have a bit of Paul Hackett stank to it.
Aside from that, I love Priest as much as the next guy. Carp, he's prolly my fav player (maybe TonyG or TRich). But one has to admire the way LJ totes the rock. I haven't seen a RB run like this guy since maybe Tony Dorsett or Herschel Walker. LJ runs with some anger in his steps.

Terribilis
09-14-2005, 10:29 PM
....troublemaker :)

morphius
09-14-2005, 10:34 PM
Well, Jimmy Raye RBbC was to hide weakness's of players, while the current one is to make sure play makers get to touch the ball to keep the D's off balance, so this is more of a PMbC.

It's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Raiderhader
09-14-2005, 10:37 PM
No, I think Priest will be Priest. Good early and late in the game. I just find it ironic that not one single post has been made about RBbC. In the days of yore (Bong Morris, Bennett, T-rich) there was quite a stink made about it. I'm not sure what it all means, maybe it's a illustration of talent vs. scheme. Or maybe it furthers the "Jimmy Raye was a mental midget" school of thought. I think Raye was the Mentat behind the whole Kimble Anders as the feature back debacle. Although it does have a bit of Paul Hackett stank to it.
Aside from that, I love Priest as much as the next guy. Carp, he's prolly my fav player (maybe TonyG or TRich). But one has to admire the way LJ totes the rock. I haven't seen a RB run like this guy since maybe Tony Dorsett or Herschel Walker. LJ runs with some anger in his steps.

Mcan nailed the difference down, RBBC as used by the old regimes was not used properly. I always thought it meant we would switch backs if one wasn't getting the job done. In actuality it meant we would switch backs once one started getting the job done. It was crazy.

There is a system to this committe. DV has said that when one starts a drive, he finishes the drive (unless one needs a breather, but once out he stays out for the rest of the drive). There is common sense applied this time, where as before it was quite the opposite.

Phobia
09-14-2005, 10:37 PM
I think Raye was the Mentat behind the whole Kimble Anders as the feature back debacle. Although it does have a bit of Paul Hackett stank to it.

Kimble Anders was the best feature back out of that entire group of RBBC backs. That expiriment really only lasted that Denver game in 99 when he blew out his Achilles. Once that happened his career was over even though he tried to play the following year.

cdcox
09-14-2005, 10:57 PM
Kimble Anders was the best feature back out of that entire group of RBBC backs. That expiriment really only lasted that Denver game in 99 when he blew out his Achilles. Once that happened his career was over even though he tried to play the following year.

But (according to some) you shouldn't consider Kimble going down to be a loss to the team. Even though Kimble looked like he was going to break out, it was never proven, and he had never had great production in the past. So the whole career ending injury thing was no big deal.

redhed
09-14-2005, 10:59 PM

He was awesome for the coupla games he played, but he was pretty long in the tooth after being a FB for most of his career. He was an injury time bomb. Although I always thought he was a good rec.
I was bummed out for weeks when he got hurt. Hated to see him go out like that.

philfree
09-14-2005, 11:11 PM
To compare JR with AS as an OC is about the biggest joke I've heard all year. Of course the thread starter was "TIC" so it's all good!

PhilFree:arrow:

trndobrd
09-15-2005, 12:08 AM
It all depends on the committee members. And how it is run.

I don't view the current scheme as RBBC as much as trying to get the ball in the hands of the most potent offensive weapons.

Jimmy Raye just seemed to have no rhyme or reason to his rotation. Once one back had a couple decent carries, he was yanked and someone else put in.