PDA

View Full Version : No. 8 Tigers Dominate No. 17 K-State in Feverish Sweep, Surge to 10-0

Pitt Gorilla
09-24-2005, 10:09 PM
Missouri wins first match over KSU in five years in front of second-largest crowd in Mizzou Volleyball history

Sept. 24, 2005

COLUMBIA, Mo. - It only took one hour, 20 minutes on Saturday for the No. 8 Missouri women's volleyball team to defeat No. 17 Kansas State in a three-game match that was dominated completely by the Tigers. In front of a roaring Tiger crowd of 2,438, the second-largest crowd in team history and the most to witness a regular-season match, Mizzou (10-0, 4-0) stunned Kansas State (11-2, 2-1), winning 30-19, 30-20, and 30-26.

Individually for the Tigers, juniors Jessica Vander Kooi and Nicole Wilson scored 11 team-high kills on the evening, with Wilson going errorless for the second-consecutive match, hitting 11-for-13 (.846). Mizzou again recorded a hefty amount of blocks on the night, scoring on 12, with nine coming from Wilson who tied a season-high. Missouri also scored eight points on service aces, three of which coming from senior Lindsey Hunter who had 40 assists, quarterbacking the team to 49 kills.

In what started out as Vander Kooi's show, Mizzou cruised in game one winning 30-19 off six kills from the junior. In nearly every instance of a Vander Kooi attack, the `Cats virtually froze in-place and could not respond to the variety and tenacity of a Vander Kooi streamline. Vander Kooi also had two aces in the frame along with one of her six blocks on the evening.

Mizzou went up early in the first stanza leading 11-5 following a double-block by Na Yang and Nicole Wilson. The Tigers were up 20-15 before Mizzou scored seven of the next eight points to lead 27-16 after the two Vander Kooi aces. KSU responded with three kills from team-leader Agata Rezende (who ended up with a match-high 15 kills), but Mizzou prevailed, winning 30-19.

Game one absolutely stunned Kansas State, who entered the contest having won 21-out-of-22 of the team's last matches over Missouri. The Tiger hitting percentage of .429 in the frame included Vander Kooi's six kills, and errorless three-kill games by Wilson and senior Lisa Boyd. The team matched their NCAA-leading 18 kill average in the game and recorded only three errors.

In the second game, Mizzou came out strong again, leading 13-4 after two aces by Abbie Booth. K-State would muster a 19-10 spread before the Tiger arsenal struck again, responding by scoring seven of the next eight point to capture a 26-11 lead. Wilson landed three kills and two additional blocks over the eight-point period. Mizzou claimed their only two hitting errors of the match off of two K-State blocks in KSU's 7-1 run, which put the score at 27-18. But, Mizzou closed the books on the frame with two Boyd kills to win 30-20.

The Tigers hit .516 in the second frame, hitting 18-of-31 kill attempts, committing only two errors.

KSU put a scare into the Tigers in game three. Mizzou cruised to a 20-10 lead before the `Cats woke up and went on a 10-1 run to pull within one at 21-20. The Tigers shut out K-State, responding with two more Wilson blocks and K-State hitting errors to win 30-26.

The Tigers will take the crew back on the road Wednesday, as the team will travel to Waco, Texas, to take on the Baylor Bears. The meeting is part of a two-match road trip that includes a Saturday stop in Lubbock, Texas, where Mizzou will play Texas Tech before hosting No. 1 Nebraska, October 5, in the Hearnes Center.

Chiefs_Mike_Topeka
09-24-2005, 11:18 PM
WoW how the (ahem) MIGHTY Mizzou Tiggers have "fallen". To get that pumped about womens volleyball.

We can only hope the Alumni Horseshoe team wins a championship this year to stoke the pride fires of all the fans!

:rolleyes:

Halfcan
09-24-2005, 11:27 PM
Freakin Volleyball? How about posting on the Planet's special section for women's volleyball next time. What? There is no section for that. Just a hint but that might have been your first clue. Please keep us posted on any new Opra makeover shows and any new tampoon comercials too.

Bowser
09-24-2005, 11:34 PM
Opra? Tampoon? WTF?

Pitt Gorilla
09-24-2005, 11:45 PM
If you don't want to read the thread, don't. The title should have been clear enough to steer you away.

I really enjoy volleyball that is played at a high level. My wife played collegiately and turned me on to the sport. We take our son to games quite often as the tickets are cheap and the games are a blast. I guess I don't see a problem with getting pumped about volleyball.

Take in a Nebraska match sometime and I think you might change your tune.

Coach
09-25-2005, 12:39 AM
Well, volleyball is kinda fun, but damn, them shorts are very "short"

Halfcan
09-25-2005, 12:48 AM
Actually my daughter plays volleyball-it is a lot of fun to watch. Tough sport that is for sure. I do like womens Beach Volleyball, whats her name on the Olympic team-Kerry Welch-wow she is hot. I would do her even though she is like a foot taller. I would jump on her, it would look like cleon trying to cover Randy Moss, but i would give it a try.

chefsos
09-25-2005, 12:57 AM
Actually my daughter plays volleyball-it is a lot of fun to watch. Tough sport that is for sure. I do like womens Beach Volleyball, whats her name on the Olympic team-Kerry Welch-wow she is hot. I would do her even though she is like a foot taller. I would jump on her, it would look like cleon trying to cover Randy Moss, but i would give it a try.
She would push off, same way he did.

Braincase
09-25-2005, 05:53 AM
As a father with two daughters, I choose not to mock women's sports. In my house, a pair of queens beats a pair of kings every time.

Skip Towne
09-25-2005, 06:58 AM
Dammit, I thought this thread was about soccer. I'm thure the MUrons are good at thoccer. :thailor:

DaKCMan AP
09-25-2005, 07:25 AM
Women's VBall?? We're ranked No. 6 :D

and I do like the uni's..

Saulbadguy
09-25-2005, 08:31 AM
Congrats. See you in Manhattan. :D

Pitt Gorilla
09-25-2005, 06:30 PM
Congrats. See you in Manhattan. :D
I'm surprised that it was a sweep. KSU has a pretty good team.

Saulbadguy
09-25-2005, 07:17 PM
I'm surprised that it was a sweep. KSU has a pretty good team.
Same here. Inconsistent, young team. We'll be damn good in a few years though me thinks.

alanm
09-25-2005, 08:16 PM
Huskers haven't been beaten yet this year. Still ranked #1 :thumb:

Pitt Gorilla
09-25-2005, 08:35 PM
They are always tough.

KChiefs1
09-25-2005, 08:50 PM
Women's volleyball? Next thing you know people will be getting excited about women's basketball!

Saulbadguy
09-26-2005, 05:47 AM
Yep...and they come to Manhattan in a few weeks. Hopefully they remain undefeated until then. :)

Saulbadguy
09-26-2005, 05:48 AM
Women's volleyball? Next thing you know people will be getting excited about women's basketball!
You'd rather watch men's volleyball, eh? NTTAWWT..:shrug:

David.
09-26-2005, 10:03 AM
heh, I went to most their home games last year. Even partied with a couple of them once or twice.

Good to see their doing well (haven't really followed them this year)

alanm
09-26-2005, 10:07 AM
Yep...and they come to Manhattan in a few weeks. Hopefully they remain undefeated until then. :)
They destroyed Iowa St. yesterday. Huskers haven't even been tested. They've yet to lose a individual game within a match. :thumb:

Pitt Gorilla
09-28-2005, 10:40 PM
Tiger Nicole Wilson Named AVCA National & Big 12 Volleyball Player of the Week
Junior went errorless in week's two match sweeps

Sept. 26, 2005

COLUMBIA, Mo.--The American Volleyball Coaches Association (AVCA) announced Monday that Tiger junior Nicole Wilson was named Sports Imports/AVCA National Player of the Week. In addition, the Big 12 announced that Wilson won the conference weekly award as well. Wilson earned her first career award from both organizations. Wilson is also the second Tiger to win the conference honor this year and the second Mizzou player to earn the national award all-time.

Senior Lindsey Hunter won the Big 12 Player of the Week honor on September 5. In September 2002, Mary Lauren Smith became the
only Tiger before Wilson to win National Player of the Year honors.

Nicole Wilson, Missouri, MB, Jr., 6-3, Lincoln, Neb./Lincoln Christian
Wilson led the Tigers to sweeps at Colorado and against No. 17 Kansas State to extend Missouri's record to 10-0 (4-0 Big 12). The Lincoln, Neb., native was errorless at the net last week, recording 23 kills in 32 attempts.

At CU, Wilson tallied 12 kills on a .632 hitting percentage while posting eight blocks and two digs. Wilson compiled a perfect serving performance as well in 12 attempts.

On Saturday, Wilson was 11-of-13 (.846) against the Wildcats. She also contributed nine block assists to the No. 8-nationally ranked Tiger effort.

Wilson averaged 5.25 points, 3.83 kills, 2.83 blocks, and 0.67 digs along with a .719 hitting percentage last week.

In addition, Wilson currently stands as Mizzou's all-time hitting percentage leader with a .344 average (jumping .010 this week alone). This season Wilson is hitting .439, which currently stands second in the Big 12.

Team Moves to No. 7 in Nation
The latest CSTV/AVCA also was released on Monday. The Tigers moved up one spot to seventh on the latest poll. No. 5 Minnesota lost to No. 10 Wisconsin, prompting the immediate switch.

The Tigers are 10-0 overall, and 4-0 in the Big 12 Conference, tied with Nebraska (11-0, 3-0) for the conference lead. Mizzou will go on the road this week, playing Baylor in Waco on Wednesday and Texas Tech in Lubbock on Saturday.

For more info, visit mutigers.com.

Pitt Gorilla
09-28-2005, 10:41 PM
Oh, and MU swept Baylor (3-0). MU has lost one GAME, not match, this season.