PDA

View Full Version : Denver paper says The Denver Broncos have a Monday Night Football Curse

ChiefsKing
09-26-2005, 07:02 AM
Monday no fun day for Broncos
By Mark Kiszla
Denver Post Staff Columnist (mkiszla@denverpost.com)
In the official ranking of the days in a week, No. 7 never changes. Monday is the undisputed worst. If it's Monday, the Broncos must be wearing blue. To match their mood. As The Mamas and The Papas sang: "Whenever Monday comes, you can find me cryin' all of the time." And the Broncos would be the first to second that emotion. "Mondays are definitely not my favorite day," Denver linebacker Al Wilson said. "Growing up as a kid, Monday always meant going back to school. I was never a big fan of Monday. Don't know many people who are." The lone redeeming quality to opening day of the work week is "Monday Night Football," still beautiful after all these years. The music rocks. John Madden goes boom. Cheerleaders shake booty. Are you ready for some football? No doubt about it. The Broncos? Not so much. Your Broncos don't like Mondays. They want to shoot the whole day down. Tell you why. Monday dates have developed a habit of being coyote ugly for Denver. In their past 17 football appearances on Monday, the Broncos are stuck with a record of 4-13. "You would have to bring that up," said Wilson, who loves me almost as much as Mondays. "But now that you mention it ..." All Big Al's rowdy friends gather 'round when the Broncos play on ABC. "It's a worldwide, televised event," Wilson said. "The phone rings more after you play on 'Monday Night Football.' People call up and let you know how you looked on TV. If you had a good game, they say, 'You were awesome!' And if you have a bad game, they say: 'Al, you messed up. What were you thinking?"' Too often, the calls have made Wilson wish his cellphone had lost its power bars. When did "Monday Night Football" start going bad for Denver, which used to take as much pleasure throwing bricks at Howard Cosell's mug as any city in the country? Please, don't ask. Monday grew tougher for this team at the same time as all the rest of the days in the week. Since quarterback John Elway rode off into the sunset with his two Super Bowl rings, the Broncos have not been prime-time players. To be completely fair, five of the team's 13 miserable Monday losses since 1999 have been recorded during the preseason, when the nation might be watching, although the defeats do not actually count in the NFL standings. But consider this. Al Michaels has been in attendance to christen the Brian Griese era, to see the same grease-stained white collar Al Davis wore during two despicable wins by the Raiders, to witness the shame that's only possible from a loss to the Cincinnati Bungles. Pure coincidence? I think not. Michaels is a sportscasting god. Maybe, just maybe, the Broncos get intimidated by his omnipresence. So, if it's not too much trouble, Al, is there any chance when the Broncos take the field against Kansas City tonight, you could call the game with your eyes closed? Since coach Mike Shanahan seems unable to stop the Mile High City from feeling so low when the Monday sun drops behind the Rocky Mountains, somebody in town needs to step up. Mayor John Hickenlooper is a fan. Aren't mayors empowered to sign proclamations? Declare a ban on Blue Mondays. Paint them orange. And offer free parking Tuesday at all downtown meters if the Broncos win. The franchise's reputation for greatness is getting smeared on national TV. One lousy 24-hour period can put our local football heroes in such a funk that even kick returner Darrent Williams, full of more smiles than a toothpaste commercial, frowns at the mere mention of Monday. "Monday is like the worst day of all time," Williams said. "You party all weekend and then reality hits. Gotta go back to work. The only good thing about the whole day is 'Monday Night Football.' If you can't look forward to that, what else is there?" For the Broncos, every other day of the week is fine. But Monday, Monday? Can't trust that day.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_3062135

ChiefsKing
09-26-2005, 07:14 AM
In their past 17 football appearances on Monday, the Broncos are stuck with a record of 4-13

I am glad the Chiefs aren't the only ones who are cursed when it comes to The Broncos. Even the Broncos curse themselves.

Skip Towne
09-26-2005, 07:23 AM
TheMonday Night Football Gods don't like the Broncos. I can understand that.

ChiefsKing
09-26-2005, 07:29 AM
TheMonday Night Football Gods don't like the Broncos. I can understand that.

Yes, maybe we should give them a sacrificial bronco.

stevieray
09-26-2005, 08:00 AM
4-13? and they still get on MNF more than anyone?

just more proof.

Pants
09-26-2005, 08:03 AM
just more proof.

Excuse my noob-self, but just more proof of what?