PDA

View Full Version : Looking ahead: how will the Chiefs gameplan against Westbrook?

cmh6476
09-26-2005, 09:04 AM
and don't even start with the, "youre dumb for looking past the Broncos" posts. I don't play for the Chiefs, and I'm sure this isn't what our players are thinking about right now.

These guys are bringing up some very good questions! (http://boards.philadelphiaeagles.com/index.php?showtopic=287537)

some thoughts from that thread:

No LB can cover Westbrook in pass defense. Go ahead and put one on him...he'll beat you all day....

You may want to consider a CB..at the very worst...a safety.

But you also better reserve one of those safeties for LJ....or he's going to burn you as well.

This game will be a MAJOR test for the new KC defense. You will know if they are for real or not after next Sunday.

Of course not, but you're underestimating Westbrook if you think a LB can cover him. You need to put a DB on him....

Thats why Westbrook is #1 in the league in yards from scrimage with 146 yards per game. You cant cover him with a linebacker, safety, or #3 or 4 CB. And of course if you put a starting CB he might be able to cover him but then you leave one of our WRs open. Putting any CB on him leaves you vulnerable to the run. Westbrook is the man.

My response to these points:

Derrick Johnson is a player. Not sure how much you guys followed him at Texas, or if you have yet to see him play this year. But he can play.

With that said, not sure how the Chiefs will plan to cover Westbrook. The Chiefs do not play one corner over a team's best receiver every time. Surtain will line up on the strong side, and McCleon on the other side. So at times McCleon will be covering Owens. With that said, we'll probably need safety help with Owens most of the time. Then, like you said we have to worry about LJ Smith. Take away another corner or safety to cover Westy, and there are going to be some major mismatches.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out...

Thoughts?

Gaz
09-26-2005, 09:07 AM
...Thoughts?

We play the Broncos in Denver tonight.

Get back with me on Wednesday.

xoxo~
Gaz
Will worry about the Eagles when the time comes.

cmh6476
09-26-2005, 09:08 AM

xoxo~
Gaz

why not 11:30 tonight? :shrug:

SunMo
09-26-2005, 09:20 AM
most teams think they have a linebacker that can cover Westbrook, but it just isn't possible, he's like a WR when the Eagles split him out wide.

alanm
09-26-2005, 09:23 AM

xoxo~
Gaz

Agreed, Let's win the game tonight first shall we. :rolleyes:

dirk digler
09-26-2005, 10:08 AM

xoxo~
Gaz

Yep.

We are playing the Broncos tonight on Monday Night Football and still people want to talk about playing the Eagles.

I just don't get it.

Garcia Bronco
09-26-2005, 10:12 AM
the guy lines up at every spot. Stopping him will be difficult for any team.

Garcia Bronco
09-26-2005, 10:15 AM
Yep.

We are playing the Broncos tonight on Monday Night Football and still people want to talk about playing the Eagles.

I just don't get it.

I know...it's like all the posters aren't playing tonight.

Demonpenz
09-26-2005, 10:17 AM
westbrook will be like moss or owens he will get his 150 yards from scrimmage.

patteeu
09-26-2005, 10:40 AM
The answer is that the Chiefs will cover Westbrook with different people depending on the circumstance, and sometimes maybe even two people at the same time. When they play zone, he will probably be covered by several different chiefs during the course of the play. When he comes out of the backfield, he'll probably be covered by a LB or a safety. When he lines up wide, a CB or a nickleback might take his turn.

NJ Chief Fan
09-26-2005, 10:41 AM
dj!

Cormac
09-26-2005, 10:46 AM
What I want to know is, since when is LJ Smith the next coming? When the time comes, I'd say we'll contain Owens and Westbrook as much as possible. Smith and Lewis will be way down the priority list, IMO. If they beat us, we have a long way to go.

Besides, tonight is the second biggest game of the season (after Den @ Arrowhead), so who cares right now?

SunMo
09-26-2005, 12:07 PM
What I want to know is, since when is LJ Smith the next coming? When the time comes, I'd say we'll contain Owens and Westbrook as much as possible. Smith and Lewis will be way down the priority list, IMO. If they beat us, we have a long way to go.

how can you say you have a long way to go if one of the top 3 teams in the NFL beats you?

Phobia
09-26-2005, 12:32 PM
how can you say you have a long way to go if one of the top 3 teams in the NFL beats you?

Who is one of the top 3 teams? Last I saw, the Eagles weren't undefeated. They were 2-1 along with the Dolphins. That makes y'all a 2nd tier team.

As far as covering Westbrook is concerned, I guess you haven't heard about a man named Scanlon. That's right. SCANLON. Remember that name.

SunMo
09-26-2005, 12:34 PM
Who is one of the top 3 teams? Last I saw, the Eagles weren't undefeated. They were 2-1 along with the Dolphins. That makes y'all a 2nd tier team.

As far as covering Westbrook is concerned, I guess you haven't heard about a man named Scanlon. That's right. SCANLON. Remember that name.

so, let me get this straight, because the Patriots and Eagles are 2-1 and the Dolphins are 2-1, they are equally talented teams?

nice logic.

patteeu
09-26-2005, 12:37 PM

I think he's saying that if the Chiefs newly refurbished defense contains both TO and Westbrook to reasonable production but ends up letting someone like LJ or Lewis run wild then the defense is still far from being what we want it to be.

Phobia
09-26-2005, 12:42 PM
so, let me get this straight, because the Patriots and Eagles are 2-1 and the Dolphins are 2-1, they are equally talented teams?

nice logic.
That's what I thought. You're terrified of Scanlon.

patteeu
09-26-2005, 12:51 PM

nice logic.

Well, the Dolphins HAVE looked more impressive in their wins, I guess. ;)

cmh6476
09-26-2005, 12:53 PM

nice logic.
only 3 posts, and you already have this place figured out. I'm impressed.

bruner
09-26-2005, 01:00 PM
only 3 posts, and you already have this place figured out. I'm impressed.

This is my first post and I can tell you this much: I could careless about Philly. An NFC game with a team we won't be seeing at the SB. Tonights game is the one the Chiefs better win. Start all the 3rd stringers next week. It is a meaningless game if we win tonight.

Tinlar
09-26-2005, 01:00 PM
Moss, Owens, Westrbrook ... the list goes on forever. People will learn soon enough that a team of good players will beat a great player most of the time. You'd have thought that the Pats would have pounded that home by now but apparently not for some folks.

SunMo
09-26-2005, 01:05 PM
Moss, Owens, Westrbrook ... the list goes on forever. People will learn soon enough that a team of good players will beat a great player most of the time. You'd have thought that the Pats would have pounded that home by now but apparently not for some folks.

the Eagles have more than one good player, but that's besides the point.

Phobia
09-26-2005, 01:15 PM
the Eagles have more than one good player, but that's besides the point.

I'd agree with that. It's mostly due to Campbells Chunky soup, though. That stuff really steps up your game.

AustinChief
09-26-2005, 01:16 PM
www.chiefsplanet.com/Mitchell_moss.avi (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/Mitchell_moss.avi)

(warning.. BIG file >6mb)