PDA

View Full Version : Pastabelly: Harrison done with ACL

nychief
09-26-2005, 03:53 PM
Strong safety Rodney Harrison, the heart of the New England Patriots' secondary and long regarded as one of the league's most aggressive players at the position, will miss the rest of the season with a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee.

Rodney Harrison
Safety
New England Patriots

2005 SEASON STATISTICS
Tot Ast Solo FF Sack Int
13 9 4 0 0 0

Three sources confirmed the severity of the knee injury, suffered in the first quarter of Sunday's 23-20 victory over the Pittsburgh Steelers. There could be ancillary damage beyond the ACL as well. The team almost certainly will place Harrison, 32, on the injured reserve list.

At his regular Monday news conference, coach Bill Belichick said the status of injured players would be updated Wednesday, when the team is compelled by league policy to report players' availability. New England hosts San Diego, the team with which Harrison played the first nine seasons of his career, on Sunday afternoon.

Harrison's injury is the latest setback to a New England secondary already battered at the cornerback position. This will mark the second consecutive season in which the Patriots will be forced to overcome injuries in the secondary and in which the team's mettle and ability to compensate for the loss of key players will be tested.

The loss of Harrison, coupled with the absence of inside linebacker Tedy Bruschi, leaves New England without two of its smartest and most inspirational defenders as the Patriots attempt to become the first franchise in history to claim three straight Super Bowl titles.

In addition to Harrison, the Patriots likely will be without starting left offensive tackle Matt Light for the foreseeable future. Light suffered an injury to his right knee but full details were not yet available.

Second-year safety Guss Scott, who replaced Harrison for the final three quarters Sunday, is the candidate most likely to move into the starting lineup. Scott was a third-round pick in the 2004 draft but, ironically, missed his entire rookie season because of a knee injury.

The Patriots may explore alternatives outside their organization but there are not many quality safeties without jobs. Harrison, a multiple Pro Bowl performer, is regarded by some in the New England organization as one of the most irreplaceable players on the roster. Beyond his playmaking skills, and ability to get everyone aligned in the right spot, his on- and off-field leadership will be sorely missed.

The 12th-year veteran was injured about midway through the first quarter when Steelers wide receiver Cedrick Wilson fell onto his leg during a running play. Harrison's knee bent grotesquely. He was on crutches, and wearing a brace, when he left Heinz Field.

Harrison is in his third season with New England, having signed with the Patriots in 2003, after the San Diego Chargers released him for salary cap considerations. In 158 games, Harrison has 1,027 tackles, 27 sacks, 31 interceptions and 104 passes defensed.

dirk digler
09-26-2005, 03:55 PM
What goes around comes around.

stevieray
09-26-2005, 03:55 PM
The ghost of Trent Green compels you.

munkey
09-26-2005, 03:56 PM
Maybe we can get a draft pick out of Woods....

Amnorix
09-26-2005, 03:57 PM
I already didn't think we were likely to win it all. I think this seals the deal. Bruschi and Harrison were the two fiery leaders of our defense. Now that they're both out. :shake:

We still a serious contenda, but I just don't think we'll have the horses. This isn't quite like other Patriots injuries over the last couple years (and there have been many). Ty Law, great as he is, wasn't a team leader. We overcame losing Milloy in part because of Harrison.

*sigh* Sad day in Patriot-ville, although I know there's rejoicing throughout the league.

Dremel
09-26-2005, 03:57 PM
F.U.B.A.R. ROFL

HemiEd
09-26-2005, 03:58 PM
The ghost of Trent Green compels you.

Exactly, for some reason I am having a hard time feeling sorry for him.

gblowfish
09-26-2005, 04:01 PM
I never want players to get hurt, unless they're really dirty.
Like Romo,
or
Ben Davidson,
or
Conrad Dobler,
or
RODNEY HARRISON.
Karma, pure and simple.

dirk digler
09-26-2005, 04:01 PM
I already didn't think we were likely to win it all. I think this seals the deal. Bruschi and Harrison were the two fiery leaders of our defense. Now that they're both out. :shake:

We still a serious contenda, but I just don't think we'll have the horses. This isn't quite like other Patriots injuries over the last couple years (and there have been many). Ty Law, great as he is, wasn't a team leader. We overcame losing Milloy in part because of Harrison.

*sigh* Sad day in Patriot-ville, although I know there's rejoicing throughout the league.

You guys always overcome injuries I just don't how you do it but it is amazing.

Does Belichick run hard practices because you guys are always hurt?

ChiefsCountry
09-26-2005, 04:02 PM
Oh darn.

el borracho
09-26-2005, 04:04 PM

The Patriots will probably just suit up the waterboy and he'll go on to have a probowl season. Probably would have become the superbowl MVP as well but we all know the Chiefs will represent the AFC this year.

Rain Man
09-26-2005, 04:06 PM
I hear that Ronnie Lott is going to come out of retirement to play for free for the Patriots, because he has such respect for the organization and team.

Deberg_1990
09-26-2005, 04:08 PM

Oh Well...i feel for you....NOT!! It couldnt have happened to a better prick.

Chiefshrink
09-26-2005, 04:08 PM
Agree with you Dirk.

Good fuggin riddance.
Cheatin career endin mutha fugga!! IMO

Amnorix
09-26-2005, 04:10 PM
You guys always overcome injuries I just don't how you do it but it is amazing.

Does Belichick run hard practices because you guys are always hurt?

Actually, not really. He doesn't kill 'em the way, say, Coughlin does. Not that it's cakewalk, but he tries hard not to physically destroy them before the season even starts.

We always seem to get bit with injuries in ONE part of the field. DBs have been nailed hard two years in a row now. WR is another position that seems to be a chronic problem.

A few of our guys seem to be a little brittle. Rodney's not one, but what can you do when someone gets blocked right into your knee? :shrug:

Mecca
09-26-2005, 04:14 PM
Uh oh, now one of the biggest factors in the Pats hiding their corners is gone. Their great safeties made it possible for them to play very eh corners and get away with it. Eugene Wilson is still great and one of the best in the league, but he can't cover the entire field by himself.

Their front 7 has already been weakened now add this in and well they're gonna have a really hard time covering these holes.

dirk digler
09-26-2005, 04:15 PM
Actually, not really. He doesn't kill 'em the way, say, Coughlin does. Not that it's cakewalk, but he tries hard not to physically destroy them before the season even starts.

We always seem to get bit with injuries in ONE part of the field. DBs have been nailed hard two years in a row now. WR is another position that seems to be a chronic problem.

A few of our guys seem to be a little brittle. Rodney's not one, but what can you do when someone gets blocked right into your knee? :shrug:

Nothing you can do.

It just amazes me how many injuries you guys have and yet you still go and play hard and win.

DaKCMan AP
09-26-2005, 04:19 PM
I saw yesterday that Guss Scott filled in for Harrison. I didn't know Guss was on the Pats. He played well at Florida as the secondary was a team strength during his time here. He's rarely out of position and he can hit.

Hoover
09-26-2005, 04:21 PM
You talk shit about Gaz and this is what happens....

xoxo~
Hoover

Amnorix
09-26-2005, 04:25 PM
Uh oh, now one of the biggest factors in the Pats hiding their corners is gone. Their great safeties made it possible for them to play very eh corners and get away with it. Eugene Wilson is still great and one of the best in the league, but he can't cover the entire field by himself.

Their front 7 has already been weakened now add this in and well they're gonna have a really hard time covering these holes.

I agree that our great safeties have really helped overcome some CB issues.

But, and I mean this seriously, our CBs are underrated. Randall Gay, an undrafted rookie last year, and Asante Samuel, a 4th round pick 3 years ago, are perfectly serviceable CBs.

Also, keep in mind:

1. Belichick's schemes mostly require disciplined defensive play, and the stars are the linebackers. For example -- name ONE CB or even safety from the old Giants? Hard to. But it's easy to name LT, Banks, Pepper Johnson, and some of the linemen (Jim Burt, etc.)

2. Belichick doesn't play tons of man coverage anyway.

But, yes, your point is well taken.

BTW, Monty Beisel is working out VERY well for us. Guy is pretty quick around the field, and seem to have some pretty good instincts.

Amnorix
09-26-2005, 04:26 PM
You talk shit about Gaz and this is what happens....

xoxo~
Hoover

Nah. Rodney blew out his knee before I said anything about Gaz. :p

Amnorix
09-26-2005, 04:27 PM
I saw yesterday that Guss Scott filled in for Harrison. I didn't know Guss was on the Pats. He played well at Florida as the secondary was a team strength during his time here. He's rarely out of position and he can hit.

He was superb in training camp LAST year. Then he blew his ACL or somesuch, and was lost for the season.

This year he's seemed solid during camp and preseason, etc. I'm sure he'll be "not too terrible", at least, replacing Rodney.

But, ultimately, Rodney isn't really replacable.

wazu
09-26-2005, 04:27 PM
Their secondary looked okay yesterday, and Harrison was gone for most of the game.

Hoover
09-26-2005, 04:28 PM
Nah. Rodney blew out his knee before I said anything about Gaz. :p
I was pulling for the Pats yesterday because I just can't see them making a run this year. If Dillon plays like he did yesterday for the rest of the year you will make the playoffs, if not, its going ot be a long season.

Amnorix
09-26-2005, 04:28 PM
Their secondary looked okay yesterday, and Harrison was gone for most of the game.

What really needs to happen is for our front 7 to supply so much pressure that opposing QBs can't pick us apart. More or less worked for us last year...

Mecca
09-26-2005, 04:30 PM
I agree that our great safeties have really helped overcome some CB issues.

But, and I mean this seriously, our CBs are underrated. Randall Gay, an undrafted rookie last year, and Asante Samuel, a 4th round pick 3 years ago, are perfectly serviceable CBs.

Also, keep in mind:

1. Belichick's schemes mostly require disciplined defensive play, and the stars are the linebackers. For example -- name ONE CB or even safety from the old Giants? Hard to. But it's easy to name LT, Banks, Pepper Johnson, and some of the linemen (Jim Burt, etc.)

2. Belichick doesn't play tons of man coverage anyway.

But, yes, your point is well taken.

BTW, Monty Beisel is working out VERY well for us. Guy is pretty quick around the field, and seem to have some pretty good instincts.

Well, I always thought Mark Collins was pretty damn good.

It's hard to get a read on what will happen from yesterdays game because the Steelers are not a good passing offense. If Ben Roethlisberger has to pass more than 20 times in a game the Steelers are toast. Did he even hit 50% yesterday?

Amnorix
09-26-2005, 05:07 PM
Well, I always thought Mark Collins was pretty damn good.

It's hard to get a read on what will happen from yesterdays game because the Steelers are not a good passing offense. If Ben Roethlisberger has to pass more than 20 times in a game the Steelers are toast. Did he even hit 50% yesterday?

Not even close. He was like 12 for 28, although he had 216 yards and 2 TDs with no picks.

Bowser
09-26-2005, 05:10 PM
Not even close. He was like 12 for 28, although he had 216 yards and 2 TDs with no picks.

And 86 of that came on one play to Hines Ward.

Roethlisberger is not a QB who can carry a team at this point in his career.