PDA

View Full Version : WHY can't we defend the QB rolling out

KCChiefsFan88
09-26-2005, 08:15 PM
Scheme? Coaching? Players?

This looks like a re-run of our games in Denver the past few years.

STILL can't defend Plummer rolling out and throwing

Chiefshrink
09-26-2005, 08:24 PM
Our D is psychologically scarred but at least we have DE staying at home.

Chiefshrink
09-26-2005, 08:27 PM
have been amputated.

Judge Smails
09-26-2005, 09:11 PM
I don't know why every team just doesn't bootleg every play against us. If a guy takes the Qb, then the rb in the flat is open. Really, I think Bernie Kosar could run a 50 yard rollout againt us at this point.

KCJake
09-26-2005, 09:14 PM
Because we can't stop the running game. We are so worried about stopping the run. We over pursue and leave the back-door open for the boot.

KILLER_CLOWN
09-26-2005, 09:17 PM
Well it's not like they've ever seen it run at them before, cut em some slack.

Mr. Krab
09-26-2005, 09:58 PM
Because we can't stop the running game. We are so worried about stopping the run. We over pursue and leave the back-door open for the boot.
I think so too

Our defensive tackles don't penetration to cut off the running lanes which leaves our DE's and LB's left to plug the holes. Which means our DE's aren't holding backside contain.

Phobia
09-26-2005, 10:04 PM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/media/players/eric_hicks.jpg

the Talking Can
09-26-2005, 10:07 PM

I OFFER THE ANSWER TO THE QUESTION YOU SEEK HERE:

GUNTHER IS A ****ING MORON (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=125188)

BEWARE!! KNOWLEDGE IS DANGEROUS!

Judge Smails
09-26-2005, 10:34 PM

No, they're just a lot retarded.

Every third play for the last three years againt the Broncos should give a hint.

DRU
09-27-2005, 01:41 AM
Our defensive tackles don't penetration to cut off the running lanes which leaves our DE's and LB's left to plug the holes. Which means our DE's aren't holding backside contain.

Please don't let all these idiotic NFL announcers pull you away from proper grammar. It's containMENT! You contain the run...you hold backside containment. This drives me crazy every time I see/hear it.

No, I'm not an English teacher, but it's annoying. John Madden is the only one who gets it right.

(P.S. sorry, the game was only the very beginning of one of the worst nights of my life.)

Pants
09-27-2005, 01:45 AM
(P.S. sorry, the game was only the very beginning of one of the worst nights of my life.)

Wanna let some steam out? It can help.

Count Zarth
09-27-2005, 01:46 AM
I'm getting really tired of this team not being able to defend misdirection. It seems we can't stop it 90% of the time.

jspchief
09-27-2005, 01:47 AM
Because it's so hard to predict when facing a team like denver that never does it.

digi2fish
09-27-2005, 03:47 AM

MNF nightmare uh?
thank God you didn't get the jersey...

:banghead:

MichaelH
09-27-2005, 04:52 AM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/media/players/eric_hicks.jpg

My thoughts exactly! :clap: His jock was left on the field last night.

DanT
09-27-2005, 05:04 AM
Unless and until someone proves to me that there's some mysterious aspect to the Chiefs defense that makes it absolutely critical for Kendrall Bell to be faked out like an idiotic 4th-grader when it looks to me that he's supposed to be "staying home" and "keeping the play inside", I'm blaming him for Jake Plummer's TD run. As far as I'm concerned, that was absolutely and completely his fault. There was zero justification that I know of for him to leave his post and go inside like he did.

From what I've seen of him so far this regular season, he's performed like an awfully sorry pro football player. He's pretty good at getting close to the ball, though. The ball carriers often zoom right past his sorry nonfootball-playing ass. He's even good at hitting the ball carrier on occasion. Too bad he hasn't seemed to have absorbed the concept that hitting the ball carrier isn't sufficient to tackle the ball carrier, you might actually want to use your arms to tackle the ball carrier, Kendrall, you football 'genious'.

Since he's a linebacker and not a defensive end, I can cut him a tiny bit of slack for his not "staying at home". As Joe Posnanski said in his column today, Kendrall Bell may not know his role. As far as his penchant for not wrapping up when he hits the ball carrier, I hope that has something to do with an injury to his shoulders or something else that he might recover from.

htismaqe
09-27-2005, 05:08 AM
The DE's crash inside and the OLB's over-pursue.

Amateurs armchair coordinators like us can see it...

King_Chief_Fan
09-27-2005, 06:11 AM

The answer must be because they are not very smart.
How many times a game? And every game against the Donks.

I got to think the Denver OC must think......those stupid hillbilly's never
catch on to this. Hey Linus - I will hold this ball and you come kick it.
Lucy screws him up everytime.

the Talking Can
09-27-2005, 06:14 AM
Unless and until someone proves to me that there's some mysterious aspect to the Chiefs defense that makes it absolutely critical for Kendrall Bell to be faked out like an idiotic 4th-grader when it looks to me that he's supposed to be "staying home" and "keeping the play inside", I'm blaming him for Jake Plummer's TD run. As far as I'm concerned, that was absolutely and completely his fault. There was zero justification that I know of for him to leave his post and go inside like he did.

From what I've seen of him so far this regular season, he's performed like an awfully sorry pro football player. He's pretty good at getting close to the ball, though. The ball carriers often zoom right past his sorry nonfootball-playing ass. He's even good at hitting the ball carrier on occasion. Too bad he hasn't seemed to have absorbed the concept that hitting the ball carrier isn't sufficient to tackle the ball carrier, you might actually want to use your arms to tackle the ball carrier, Kendrall, you football 'genious'.

Since he's a linebacker and not a defensive end, I can cut him a tiny bit of slack for his not "staying at home". As Joe Posnanski said in his column today, Kendrall Bell may not know his role. As far as his penchant for not wrapping up when he hits the ball carrier, I hope that has something to do with an injury to his shoulders or something else that he might recover from.

I have to agree. Bell was terrible. I'm still waiting for him to "kill somebody."

He looks clueless and slow to me.

the Talking Can
09-27-2005, 06:15 AM
Because it's so hard to predict when facing a team like denver that never does it.

Exactly.

I think we'll figure it out next time. They caught us off guard.

splatbass
09-27-2005, 07:05 AM
I OFFER THE ANSWER TO THE QUESTION YOU SEEK HERE:

GUNTHER IS A ****ING MORON (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=125188)

BEWARE!! KNOWLEDGE IS DANGEROUS!

Dude, stop yelling. I have a headache from doing this: :banghead:

htismaqe
09-27-2005, 07:14 AM
I have to agree. Bell was terrible. I'm still waiting for him to "kill somebody."

He looks clueless and slow to me.

Yep. I was thoroughly unimpressed with both Bell and Johnson last night. Both of them got caught crashing inside several times on misdirection plays.

Luckily, Kawika played a decent game when there wasn't multiple OL mugging him.

God damn our defensive line sucks. :cuss:

jspchief
09-27-2005, 07:17 AM
Yep. I was thoroughly unimpressed with both Bell and Johnson last night. Both of them got caught crashing inside several times on misdirection plays.

God damn our defensive line sucks. :cuss:I disagree with your coment on Mitchell playing a good game. He over-ran the play all night. Every big run up the middle was due to him over-pursuing. He looked very much like the Kawika Mitchell of old.

htismaqe
09-27-2005, 07:22 AM
I disagree with your coment on Mitchell playing a good game. He over-ran the play all night. Every big run up the middle was due to him over-pursuing. He looked very much like the Kawika Mitchell of old.

We'll have to go back and watch the tape. On the one long TD run, he was blocked by both the center and guard.

Of course, maybe it was just Bell and DJ were THAT bad, because Mitchell actually looked serviceable next to them...

Bowser
09-27-2005, 07:24 AM
I disagree with your coment on Mitchell playing a good game. He over-ran the play all night. Every big run up the middle was due to him over-pursuing. He looked very much like the Kawika Mitchell of old.

The whole ****ing defense looked like the defense of old.

And for shits sake...NO MORE FREAKING SOFT ZONE, IF YOU PLEASE! Damn!

TEX
09-27-2005, 07:31 AM

God damn our defensive line sucks. :cuss:

Yep. Even WORSE without Sims. And that my friend is the biggest problem with the _efense. Has been for awhile now.

On defense, if the DL can't do its job, it doesn't matter who is playing LB or the Secondary. It's just as important as an OL is to an offense. The Chiefs have invested many draft picks trying to fix the problem, but they keep missing. If they would have hit on just one recently, things would be much better now. In football, it all starts up front on both sides of the ball.

jspchief
09-27-2005, 07:35 AM
We'll have to go back and watch the tape. On the one long TD run, he was blocked by both the center and guard.

Of course, maybe it was just Bell and DJ were THAT bad, because Mitchell actually looked serviceable next to them...On that long TD run, he over-ran the play. He was chasing down the line instead of maintaining his gap. As soon as Anderson cut back, Mitchell had taken himself out of the play.

htismaqe
09-27-2005, 07:57 AM
On that long TD run, he over-ran the play. He was chasing down the line instead of maintaining his gap. As soon as Anderson cut back, Mitchell had taken himself out of the play.

Sorry, but that's just not the case. John Browning got blown up and Mitchell had two guys in his face as soon as the play started.

There were a few times he took himself out of the play, but that wasn't one of them, I'm pretty sure of that.

jspchief
09-27-2005, 08:10 AM
Sorry, but that's just not the case. John Browning got blown up and Mitchell had two guys in his face as soon as the play started.

There were a few times he took himself out of the play, but that wasn't one of them, I'm pretty sure of that.I just watched the play again. Mitchell over-ran the play. He was 5 yards past the cutback lane, trying to reverse direction when Anderson made his cut. The O-lineman and FB both put pads on him, but he had already taken himself out of the play. Had he stayed home, the FB may have still made a hole for the RB. but as it were, he didn't need to.

Chief Faithful
09-27-2005, 08:15 AM
I think so too

BINGO!! The team really needs Sims.

Tuckdaddy
09-27-2005, 08:18 AM
We can't contain the bootleg because our front four can't stop the run by themselves. Gun should have lined up DJ to shut that play down.

Where the hell was the BLITZ! Since when does Gun not blitz?